Shaq takes shot at Kareem in his new book, kareem states his rebuttal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Futuristic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Shaq takes shot at Kareem in his new book, kareem states his rebuttal

chilake24 wrote:
Quote:
"Kareem was never around," O'Neal wrote in "Shaq Uncut: My Story," co-written by Jackie MacMullan. "And, whenever I did see him, he usually ignored me. The disappointing thing to me was, being in LA all those years and trying to fill those shoes, I would have liked to have a conversation with him."

Quote:

"He'd say hello, but I was looking for, "Hey, do this" or "Watch out for that,'" O'Neal said. "He knew everyone was comparing me to him. He knew better than anyone what I was up against, but he gave me nothing."

In response to O’Neal’s declarations from his book Abdul-Jabbar responded with a statement of his own, which he posted on his official Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/kaj
Quote:
“As a pro I never approached Shaq because I thought he was pretty successful dunking everything and I assumed he didn’t want my help. Additionally, I was never on the coaching staff of any of his teams. I was never unfriendly to him and I would talk to him, but Shaq was enjoying his success, doing it his way.”

and there are more from his facebook, talking about he actually did teach shaq when he played for Louisiana State, and shaq's father thought shaq didn't need to learn the famous skyhook

Interesting. Shaq appears to have felt like he was entitled to Kareem's assistance. Shaq didn't have it in his mind that he needed to build a relationship with Kareem. He expected that Kareem owed him something because he was Shaq. The immaturity and arrogance is just if can say, "pukable!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject:

Lakers 4 eva wrote:
I don't really understand why Shaq would expect KAJ to show him anything. As big of an ego Shaq has, I'm pretty sure KAJ has a big ego also. This man is one of the most decorated basketball player and arguably the GOAT. He will not come to you. You need tips, go ask him. Did Hakeem call Kobe up one day and said, hey you should do it this way. Nope Kobe called him up and flew down to Houston to learn from the man. That's respect.

KAJ may have had an ego, but it's like a pebble compared with a planet.

Shaq's ego prevented him from ever understanding that the future of the Lakers would one day be Kobe, while Kareem understood that with Magic early on. Shaq's ego prevented him from ever improving his game while Kareem was constantly improving his game. This left KAJ with a lot of useful skills even when past his prime. Shaq had nothing left as his physical gifts failed him, which happened earlier than it should have because he put less effort into maintaining his body after each successive title.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject:

STFU SHAQ!

STFU ALREADY!

DAMN!!
Prophet8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject:

So Shaq is upset with Kareem for not "helping" him? And he was mad about it yet, when it came to Dwight Howard, Shaq could talk (bleep) and shun him all he wants. If Shaq really felt that way about the Kareem situation, he should have done right by it knowing how it feels to be dissed by a legend...... & it's ok... right? This point, among many others shows how much of a real idiot Shaq is. I'm not at all surprised by his nature and narsacistic personality but this is to much... plus Jackie Mac looks like a man and is one of the ugliest women I have laid eyes on!
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject:

I don't see anything that says Shaq asked for help and was turned away. So basically, he's upset Kareem didn't seek him out and offer advice/mentorship?
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Another reason I'm not looking forward to this season....Bitter Fat-Boy #1 (Barkley) & Bitter Fat-Boy #2 (Snaq) sitting in the same studio complaining about when they played and blasting Kobe.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject:

Shaq is laughable. First of all, if he had wanted Kareem's help...yeah, right...all he had to do was reach out. Kareem's been looking for a way back in for a long time. Yes, I can see it now..."Hey, Shaq, I think I can help you out with some parts of your game." "Eff off, old man."

Secondly, I remember Shaq's second season with the Lakers...his free throwing was pathetic as usual...but then he began working closely with Magic Johnson on it, and he began to improve...he got up to over 60% at one point, Magic had changed his form, had worked on repitition with him, and he was really doing well...then very late in the season there was a national TV game and the commentators talked a lot about it and were giving Magic credit for helping the guy, which he had...

Next season rolls around, Shaq has completely abandoned everything he had worked on with Magic, and his free throwing was back to horrible...both Shaq and Magic were asked about it, and both of their responses made clear that Magic's assistance was no longer required. Never mind that Shaq was making $25 million a year or whatever, and that Magic's assistance had helped him improve a serious flaw in his game, and said correction might help the Lakers win a few more games along the way. Nope, Shaq didn't like hearing Magic get credit for helping him, so that was the end of that. The handful of games each season that Shaq bungled away at the free throw line were of no consequence to him.

One more thing sort of related to Kareem...I recall an interview with Tex Winter in which Tex said he had tried many times to get Shaq to learn how to shoot a hook shot...he said if Shaq had learned how to shoot a hook in the paint, it would make his offensive arsenal that much more devastating, and would also help him as his career went along and he began to lose some hops due to age. Tex said that Shaq simply refused to do it because he didn't think shooting a hook was cool or whatever.

Keep running your fat piehole, Shaq. Some of us do have a memory.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject:

I am waiting for the next take on:

== wade
== alozo mourning
== antoine walker
== gundy
== penny hardaway
== magic johnson
== dr. buss
== and last but not least: Phil Jackson
lakeshow'80
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject:

Let me take a shot at this...

Shaq:"I would really like to meet Kareem..he's like my idol"

Kareem walks by.Shaq jaw drops and put his hand out to shake Kareem hand.

Shaq:"I've waited a longtime to meet yo...."

Kareem:"!@#$ you,fatboy!"

Shaq starts to cry in disbelief
Joe204
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject:

smh
OX1947
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Another reason I'm not looking forward to this season....Bitter Fat-Boy #1 (Barkley) & Bitter Fat-Boy #2 (Snaq) sitting in the same studio complaining about when they played and blasting Kobe.

(bleep) that. I rarely watched that show anyways last year, now, its definite. Once the game is over, Im going to NBA TV.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:

Next season rolls around, Shaq has completely abandoned everything he had worked on with Magic, and his free throwing was back to horrible...both Shaq and Magic were asked about it, and both of their responses made clear that Magic's assistance was no longer required.

Same scenario w/ Palubinskas.
Trey
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:

Next season rolls around, Shaq has completely abandoned everything he had worked on with Magic, and his free throwing was back to horrible...both Shaq and Magic were asked about it, and both of their responses made clear that Magic's assistance was no longer required.

exactly who i was just going to bring up.. eff shaq
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Trey wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:

exactly who i was just going to bring up.. eff shaq

Shaq tried too many formats thru his career and never stuck to one. His form in his early years w/ Orlando looked to be about the most fluid form that he ever had and he somehow finished his career w/ that hitch shot where he stood w/ the ball aimed at the rim and just pushed it off.

Team let him off the hook in 2000, especially. He was shooting something like .380 in Nov. if my memory doesn't fail. He had that 41 attempt gm vs Chicago, 39 in a Finals game, and that embarrassing finish to Gm 1 vs Portland where Dunleavy made them hack-a-Shaq a dozen times in the last 4 minutes.

I think it was Portland that would do the off-the-ball hack-a-Shaq right up to the 2:00 minute mark, the point at which LA would get to take it out of bounds instead of Shaq having to shoot the FTs. I recall one time where they fouled him at precisely 2:00 and the refs had to clarify for Dunleavy that 2:00 was the cutoff mark and not 1:59 like Mike was claiming.

The sad truth is that you had to tiptoe around Shaq's feelings, no matter how much you expected to maintain professionalism...and that's even with guys like Jackson and West and Buss in charge. Riley tried to make him follow the letter of the law and it didn't work. In 2000, I bet they didn't want to rock the boat where FTs were concerned. Maybe a lesson learned from Wilt's days w/ the team. Perhaps when you're bulldozing people constantly and smashing them in the face w/ your elbows, you don't quibble too much about the finesse side of the game. Remember he didn't want to hear S from Rick Barry about shooting them underhanded because it would look sissy.
Lakersarethebesteva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Shaq = Jose Canseco 2.0 with less interesting gossip
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject:

It seems like Shaq's book is literally just a list of stories he made up or exaggerated to insult every player in NBA history.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
I remember Shaq's [first] season with the Lakers... his free throwing was pathetic as usual... but then he began working closely with Magic Johnson on it, and he began to improve... he got up to over 60% at one point, Magic had changed his form, had worked on repitition with him, and he was really doing well... very late in the season, there was a national TV game, the commentators talked a lot about it and were giving Magic credit for helping the guy, which he had...

Bean Brian
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:
I remember Shaq's [first] season with the Lakers... his free throwing was pathetic as usual... but then he began working closely with Magic Johnson on it, and he began to improve... he got up to over 60% at one point, Magic had changed his form, had worked on repitition with him, and he was really doing well... very late in the season, there was a national TV game, the commentators talked a lot about it and were giving Magic credit for helping the guy, which he had...

unbelievable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Bean Brian
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject:

^hes also so thin and mobile
TampaChamp1688
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Shaq always used to say "I make it when it counts." He apparently worked on his free throws between 2002 and 2003. I remember Shaq started to shoot free throws well (by his standards) in the 2002 playoffs at .649. He was on a roll at times, and there were times when teams actually thought twice about going to Hack-a-Shaq. In the 2003 season, he was at .622 (a career-high) and in the playoffs he shot .621.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/onealsh01.html
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject:

TampaChamp1688 wrote:
Shaq always used to say "I make it when it counts." He apparently worked on his free throws between 2002 and 2003. I remember Shaq started to shoot free throws well (by his standards) in the 2002 playoffs at .649. He was on a roll at times, and there were times when teams actually thought twice about going to Hack-a-Shaq. In the 2003 season, he was at .622 (a career-high) and in the playoffs he shot .621.

He hit some big ones in the 4th quarter of the 2000 comeback game. 24-32 in the final two games, to go along with 9-13 in game 4, of 2002 WCF. So he can backup that statement fairly well.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
TampaChamp1688 wrote:

He hit some big ones in the 4th quarter of the 2000 comeback game. 24-32 in the final two games, to go along with 9-13 in game 4, of 2002 WCF. So he can backup that statement fairly well.

I remember Stephen A Smith once asked Shaq if he "makes them when they count" then why not make them all the time, and Shaq gave the lamest excuse ever, that if he did that he'd be the most arrogant man of all time or something like that. That fatso is so full of S it's not even funny.
Kobetide
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Shaq just does whatever he has to go to stay relevant. He'll probably release a tell-all book in the future about what is going on behind the scenes on TNT.
Vercetti
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Chowderhead Jackass McMullin co-write Snaq's book? That figures.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:
I am waiting for the next take on:

== wade
== alozo mourning
== antoine walker
== gundy
== penny hardaway
== magic johnson
== dr. buss
== and last but not least: Phil Jackson
i know i'm in the book the way he's killing everyone. i told a friend of mine. he will be talking about us at some point.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: