JJ Redick is Officially named 29th Lakers Head Coach (NO POLITICAL DISCUSSION)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 210, 211, 212  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:44 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Not sure how I feel about FO giving 100 mil to someone that’s unproven.

It is only Buss family profits, it doesn’t affect the roster unless they get buyer’s remorse and cut salaries. The worst thing could be a time cost if it makes them less eager to cut him loose if it doesn’t work out, they might have difficulty eating that.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
SoCal88 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
coaching the lakers isnt a great job. its toxic. You are saddled with a polarizing aging star and a bunch of average at best players and a brittle star. The hope is we find a guy like Hurley who thinks they can be the one to fix it.

If it's a long-term contract, he wouldn't be "saddled" much longer. That star is closer to the end.

And if the talk of changing and actually development, I don't see how that is a toxic.

But I'm sure the whole "pay to play" in college, having to work the boosters, fundraising, as well as, actually doing what you're really there for, coaching and half the salary is probably the best route, right?

I think Hurley is the type of coach that would have a hard time coaching LeBron because of his personality

Based on?
jb2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
SoCal88 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
coaching the lakers isnt a great job. its toxic. You are saddled with a polarizing aging star and a bunch of average at best players and a brittle star. The hope is we find a guy like Hurley who thinks they can be the one to fix it.

If it's a long-term contract, he wouldn't be "saddled" much longer. That star is closer to the end.

And if the talk of changing and actually development, I don't see how that is a toxic.

But I'm sure the whole "pay to play" in college, having to work the boosters, fundraising, as well as, actually doing what you're really there for, coaching and half the salary is probably the best route, right?

I think Hurley is the type of coach that would have a hard time coaching LeBron because of his personality

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:47 pm    Post subject:

SoCal88 wrote:
Halflife wrote:

he is the right choice IMHO. College athletics is in bad shape. I really hope he is our coach, but it will be funny to see how patient people are. we have to figure out how to break it then fix it when you have a bron on the team.
Dominic1981
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
https://x.com/dpshow/status/1799135483588747378?s=46

Celtics scrub scared of hurley landing with Lakers. Says it's perfect job good JJ

What a joke

Scal is such a troll
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:48 pm    Post subject:

jb2 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
SoCal88 wrote:
Halflife wrote:

IG solution: let's trade Bron and ad 😂
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
there are few better places to live with money.

And I offered one of those places as an alternative. Only $100 mil limits the market on the Riveria and in Montecito.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:52 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
MJST wrote:
Quote:
NBA Retweet
@RTNBA

“I happened to be with Dan Hurley last night. I leaned over and said: ‘You could win a lot of championships with the Lakers. More than a guy who’s never coached’. He looked at me and nodded… & I had no idea. woke up this morning, and somebody sent it to me and I went 'you gotta be kidding me...”.

-Geno
https://twitter.com/RTNBA/status/1798772669976072612

We all know how great a coach Geno is. He's got nothing to prove in college and Ive always wondered how come he doesn't want to coach in the NBA.

The fact he doesn't himself want to try to Coach in the NBA, but thinks Dan Hurley not only could, but could win multiple Championships with the Lakers, speaks volumes.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
SoCal88 wrote:
Halflife wrote:

he is the right choice IMHO. College athletics is in bad shape. I really hope he is our coach, but it will be funny to see how patient people are. we have to figure out how to break it then fix it when you have a bron on the team.

Patience is key, Phil Jackson isn’t coming in and winning with this roster. It will take any new coach some time to implement their system. And it will also take buy in from the FO.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
SoCal88 wrote:
Halflife wrote:

I think that makes it a good fit actually. LeBron will naturally hold some of the dominance over the locker room and Hurley can ease in to his role. Rather than just coming in and laying down the law day one, welcome back to college mfers!
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:

Celtics scrub scared of hurley landing with Lakers. Says it's perfect job good JJ

What a joke

Scal is such a troll

Who cares what that loser thinks. Surprised he even has a forum that more than one person listens to him.
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:10 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Triumph wrote:
ocho wrote:
https://x.com/Ralph_MasonJr/status/1799193013094388093

Reading between the lines, it seems we have an AD and JJ Redick beef going on now since Redick didn't vote for AD for any defensive awards.

And now AD is blocking JJ from the Lakers job.

There's no other Laker player with the power to tell brass what to do re: the head coach.

According to Woj, Dan was always #1. Going with your first (and obvious) choice doesn't take a veto from a player.

Link

I'm going by Fanta's speculation that the timeline was Pelinka went to Hurley first, felt like it was not going to happen, then approached Redick as the second choice.

At that point a Laker player made it clear he did not approve of Redick.

If that was true, that has to be AD.

He is speculating that, at that point, they went back to Hurley and when they went back to him he seemed more open to the idea.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

Quote:
. [AT] John_Fanta believes there's a 75% chance Dan Hurley is the next Lakers coach.

I'm at 85%.

@InfSportsNet

https://x.com/zachgelb/status/1799195510244626624?s=46

CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

No leaks of the meeting. I think that is a good sign maybe. Lol
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:11 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
MJST wrote:
Quote:
NBA Retweet
@RTNBA

“I happened to be with Dan Hurley last night. I leaned over and said: ‘You could win a lot of championships with the Lakers. More than a guy who’s never coached’. He looked at me and nodded… & I had no idea. woke up this morning, and somebody sent it to me and I went 'you gotta be kidding me...”.

-Geno
https://twitter.com/RTNBA/status/1798772669976072612

We all know how great a coach Geno is. He's got nothing to prove in college and Ive always wondered how come he doesn't want to coach in the NBA.

maybe jeannie can work out a package deal and get geno to coach the sparks, lol
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:11 pm    Post subject:

CamReddish wrote:
I'm sure he is tired of that dog (bleep) Connecticut and New Jersey weather. More money and you don't have to deal with that.

Homelessness and traffic in LA?
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
Quote:
. @ John_Fanta believes there's a 75% chance Dan Hurley is the next Lakers coach.

I'm at 85%.

@InfSportsNet

https://x.com/zachgelb/status/1799195510244626624?s=46

wasn't carlos boozer 99%? lol. rip jack haley
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:14 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
CamReddish wrote:
I'm sure he is tired of that dog (bleep) Connecticut and New Jersey weather. More money and you don't have to deal with that.

Homelessness and traffic in LA?

What part of LA? Sure there is homelessness, but in certain parts.

It is less prevalent in the East because of the dog (bleep) weather.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:15 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
SoCal88 wrote:
Halflife wrote:

I think that makes it a good fit actually. LeBron will naturally hold some of the dominance over the locker room and Hurley can ease in to his role. Rather than just coming in and laying down the law day one, welcome back to college mfers!

We’ll see, hopefully it works out
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:18 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
If the guy goes back without signing 100m contract, it's a wrap up

Another guy used the Lakers as leverage.. Good for him

Same old same old

If Hurley goes back to UConn and turns down $100 million, it may be a sign that coaching the Lakers just isn't that attractive a job. Or it could mean that coaching LeBron isn't an attractive job.

Or maybe it would just mean Hurley and his wife want to stay in the Tri-state area.

He's not going to turn down $100 million because of LeBron. LeBron only has a couple years left.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:

What a joke

Scal is such a troll

Paul Pierce also said Hurley would be a bad hire and JJ with no coaching experience would be a better hire for the Lakers. Celtics can't stand the thought of the Lakers getting an elite coach.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:26 pm    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
If the guy goes back without signing 100m contract, it's a wrap up

Another guy used the Lakers as leverage.. Good for him

Same old same old

If Hurley goes back to UConn and turns down $100 million, it may be a sign that coaching the Lakers just isn't that attractive a job. Or it could mean that coaching LeBron isn't an attractive job.

Or maybe it would just mean Hurley and his wife want to stay in the Tri-state area.

He's not going to turn down $100 million because of LeBron. LeBron only has a couple years left.

I bet he can ask them not to extend Lebron if it was a deal breaker. I don't think it is. It keeps the team afloat for a few seasons while Hurley implements his system
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:30 pm    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:

What a joke

Scal is such a troll

Paul Pierce also said Hurley would be a bad hire and JJ with no coaching experience would be a better hire for the Lakers. Celtics can't stand the thought of the Lakers getting an elite coach.

Why it does bother them so much? Celtics are going to pass the Lakers this year in championships, Tatum and Brown are gonna be a tough out for the next few years
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:34 pm    Post subject:

OFFER HIM 120 mil, I don't care. Get him signed and let's go. The money paid to him makes absolutely no impact on free agency or otherwise. The fans should not care what we are paying coaches, we should care about what coaches they hire. If they are willing to spend, let them, and let's get a real coach/staff. Same with assistants, gm, etc.
lordtrapula
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:46 pm    Post subject:

$100+ million is hard to say no to.

Than you factor in Jeanie wanting to give him power to be their Stevens/Spoelstra. Dan has a lot of thinking to do.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 210, 211, 212  Next
Page 94 of 212
Jump to: