JJ Redick is Officially named 29th Lakers Head Coach (NO POLITICAL DISCUSSION)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 210, 211, 212  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:33 am    Post subject:

I think for today, no news is good news. If they can't make a deal, it dies right away and they can announce its failure. I they do make a deal, the lawyers and agents still need to bicker about specific wording in the contract for a couple days, so it may not get officially announced.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:44 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Remember when Kevin Ollie was the next big thing after his NCAA title in 2014? I believe he turned down NBA opportunities. I don't even know which team he's coaching now, or assisting now. Carpe Diem if I'm Dan Hurley.

Name the last NCAA coach to come to the NBA and win a title.

The track record is not great, which is why i was initially skeptical. But two points about this

1. Historically, the most successful NCAA coaches, and thus the ones that get NBA job offers, were great *recruiters*. And a big part of recruiting is promising your most talented recruits that they will get to shine and show off their 1v1 skills. Hence there is a very low playcalling frequency in college and offensive systems are very simple so players don't get lost in the sauce and look bad and discourage future top recruits from going to those schools. Coach K, Rick Pitino and John Calipari were all amazing recruiters who ran crappy offenses. That's why Pitino sucked in the NBA, why Coach K wisely stayed out of it and probably what NBA teams suspected of Calipari.

2. Hurley is different here. None of his teams had guys that were considered top recruits when he got them but now two of his guys might go top 10. He also ran a pro-level offense with complicated stuff and had a very high playcalling rate. His style and skillset is way more translatable
to the NBA.

Spot on with both points.

His system speaks for itself. It would finally usher the Lakers into the modern age.

He’s also a very good evaluator, which will help unearth some hidden gems, and he is a great developer, who can then turn that potential into production.

That will be really important for filling in around the edges of the roster under the new CBA when we have stars on the team.
skin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:45 am    Post subject:

I bet it gets announced on Sunday. Lakers strategically putting the story out during an NBA finals game to distract from it just to show the league how important we are as a franchise.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:46 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
aiel wrote:
I understand it now, when Rob was talking about getting grinders he was talking about Hurley.

I love Hurley's philosophy of attacking the offensive boards with all 5 guys which he learned from PJ Carlesimo. He takes inspiration from other coaches and sports (football) and imports it into his coaching.

Vando will strive in his system, if he is hired.
Given the current evolution/revolution of collegiate basketball plus how the present CAP structure limits what teams like the Knicks to Dubs to Lakers can do to acquire players hence the need to develop players - this is a logical direction for the Laker future

Exactly right.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:54 am    Post subject:

I'm with the lopsided majority on this thread, hoping for news that Hurley is the new Lakers HC.
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:57 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
27 wrote:
Pelinka should be President

Jesse Buss should be our GM

Hurley should be our coach with some say in GM decisions

I’d take that.

Jesse Buss is presently the assistant GM. What has he done or prevented.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:14 pm    Post subject:

I'm getting NERVOUS

Come on, do it Mitch! Make it happen
Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:21 pm    Post subject:

I assume it is meeting then the while dinner thing they usually do. Maybe we get some news later tonight.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:31 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
ducasse wrote:
Hurley makes a lot more sense than hiring JJ.

I think JJ is going to be the assistant.

His “it will come out after the finals” or something along those lines makes more sense now.

It would be a great move for JJ. Rather than a never coach podcaster to head coach of the Lakers, he gets to earn his chops in the Hurley coaching tree and learn his system. It'll make him a much more attractive coaching candidate down the road with a higher chance of success.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:32 pm    Post subject:

My gut feeling is this won’t happen. College BB training camp is pretty much around the corner, this cat probably wants his raise before he gets back into it.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:33 pm    Post subject:

skin wrote:
I bet it gets announced on Sunday. Lakers strategically putting the story out during an NBA finals game to distract from it just to show the league how important we are as a franchise.

Hopefully it’s that and not Hurley trying to squeeze UCONN as much as he can.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:47 pm    Post subject:

https://x.com/canyondriver/status/1799174683906154510?s=46
DD20045
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:48 pm    Post subject:

zambia wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
27 wrote:
Pelinka should be President

Jesse Buss should be our GM

Hurley should be our coach with some say in GM decisions

I’d take that.

Jesse Buss is presently the assistant GM. What has he done or prevented.

Let us know how telling your professional superior that they are wrong on something has gone in your career.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:51 pm    Post subject:

https://x.com/loll________/status/1799176156186550359?s=46&t=LZLzjVPmosqPbICOlCZLnQ

jb2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:56 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
From Howard Beck’s column

Quote:
But if Hurley, 51, is given a longer contract and a little latitude as the Lakers transition out of the LeBron Era, he’d have a great chance to succeed, Carlesimo said. And Carlesimo has as good a grasp of Hurley’s acumen as anyone—he coached him at Seton Hall in the early ’90s, and the two remain close. Carlesimo attended Hurley’s practices at UConn and, as a broadcaster, covered several of his games.

“He’s a great coach, he really is,” Carlesimo said, citing Hurley’s organization and attention to detail, as well as his demeanor. “The fact that he can be demanding and push the guys, but do it in a good way, where he uses humor. He’ll jump all over them, too. But they’re extremely well prepared. They’re so good coming out of timeouts. They’re so good coming out of the locker room at halftime. They’re so good in situations like underneath out of bounds and side out of bounds. He’d call a timeout in the NCAA tournament, and you knew they were going to score in the next possession.”

That kind of acumen translates well, said Ron Adams, a longtime NBA assistant coach, currently with the Warriors, who briefly worked under Stevens in Boston and watched him evolve. “Brad was a consummate coach in college,” Adams said. “He was an X and O guy, par excellence.” The same could be said of Hurley, who learned at the feet of his father, the legendary Bob Hurley Sr. “I think he’s a marvelous coach,” Adams said of Dan Hurley. “He comes from a tremendous basketball family. … I think his skill set is excellent for coming into the pros.”

There’s a stubborn notion that an intense, demanding college coach will fail at the NBA level, because NBA players won’t accept that style as easily as a young college player. There’s a hint of truth there, but that belief ignores the success of demanding NBA coaches like Popovich or Tom Thibodeau or Michael Malone.

“I know a lot of people will say, ‘Well, he’s a really demanding coach,’” Adams said. “Well yes, and that’s going to be a strength in the pros. You may have to dress it up differently, but that will be a strength of his if he’s good with people and good at bringing out the best version of a player. That’s going to work in the pros, too.”

Bring Ron Adams along with Bill Murray Jr.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Dan Hurley is the favorite to be the next Lakers head coach (+110 odds), via Bookies 💸

Hurley is currently in LA meeting with Lakers brass.

https://x.com/CBKReport/status/1799172798868496834?t=ypHoI3S482-BcUCzJPDztg&s=19

https://x.com/bookies/status/1798726404248371407?t=DnbnjmF0KoEf9EiCkdW26A&s=19
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Fanta just now

“I have it on good authority the Lakers are offering him (Hurley) $100 million guaranteed.”

(bleep)

https://x.com/huskypros/status/1799177396752621916?s=46&t=LZLzjVPmosqPbICOlCZLnQ
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:14 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
Fanta just now

“I have it on good authority the Lakers are offering him (Hurley) $100 million guaranteed.”

(bleep)

https://x.com/huskypros/status/1799177396752621916?s=46&t=LZLzjVPmosqPbICOlCZLnQ

We have ourselves an old fashioned bidding war. There is no reason for the Lakers to lose, unless they get stubborn and refuse to enter a bidding a war. LFG!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:15 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Hopefully, we have found our own Brad Stevens to slowly turn the franchise around. Hurley has a say in personnel decisions?

there is zero chance he would come here without having a say.

Exactly. He is not just coming here to coach. I assume he is going to have that Popovich, Kerr, Spoelstra type of authority on personnel moves. No doubt...

Those guys have earned it, Hurley has earned nothing. NBA personnel is where having no NBA experience will be a negative.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:17 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Hopefully, we have found our own Brad Stevens to slowly turn the franchise around. Hurley has a say in personnel decisions?

Exactly. He is not just coming here to coach. I assume he is going to have that Popovich, Kerr, Spoelstra type of authority on personnel moves. No doubt...

Those guys have earned it, Hurley has earned nothing. NBA personnel is where having no NBA experience will be a negative.

You make it seem like Hurley is a scrub. Dude is as good as any great coach in the league. He won’t be merely the coach ala Ham. He will have some authority and rightfully so. If you are coming in to build a program, then he HAS to have some say. No brainer there.

Keep in mind, if he wins another national title this year, he would be the only coach other than the great John Wooden to do so. So, again, he HAS earned a lot and not “nothing” like you stated.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:24 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
Fanta just now

(bleep)

Legitimately stunned.
Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Let's get it. 100 million, long term deal. I am ready to watch him establish a culture and help build the team in his vision with his type of players. Once that part is done, we will be good for a long time.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:30 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

You make it seem like Hurley is a scrub. Dude is as good as any great coach in the league. He won’t be merely the coach ala Ham. He will have some authority and rightfully so. If you are coming in to build a program, then he HAS to have some say. No brainer there.

Keep in mind, if he wins another national title this year, he would be the only coach other than the great John Wooden to do so. So, again, he HAS earned a lot and not “nothing” like you stated.

No, I’m making it seem that he has no NBA experience, which is factual. The college and pro businesses are very different and he would need to learn the differences. You can say that he’s as great as any coach in the league but that isn’t factual since he’s never been a coach in the league. I get the shiny new toy excitement but I’ll wait to see what actually happens before declaring him great or a bust. If he does move up into the NBA.
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:31 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Does everyone else see what’s happening here? Some posters will now slowly move from “front office incompetence” to “they wasted their money on an unproven inexperienced coach.”

Anything to keep the ******* on the franchise narrative they have created in their own minds.

Tiny minds at that.

Last edited by Reds622 on Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:31 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Quote:
Fanta just now

(bleep)

Legitimately stunned.

Jeanie spending some of that TV contract money.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 210, 211, 212  Next
Page 91 of 212
Jump to: