JJ Redick is Officially named 29th Lakers Head Coach (NO POLITICAL DISCUSSION)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90 ... 211, 212, 213  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:20 am    Post subject:

CamReddish wrote:
windycitycane wrote:
What makes Hurley such a fantastic coach and why would he work in the NBA?

What’s so different about his offense I am hearing about? How’s his defensive philosophy? Will the players respond to his system?

Not trying to start anything, just looking for some insight and hope that we finally have a top coach!

Go Lakers!!

He is very smart and a real coach instead of a recruiter. He has a good coaching mind and has a system and counters on both sides of the ball. He seemed to know his players strengths and weaknesses and put them in position to succeed. He has plays for after timeouts and end of game.

Grew up in a coaching family, his dad is a legendary high school coach. He also is close with Coach K and probably picked up some knowledge.

His Uconn teams won because of coaching and execution first, the talent wasn't the best but he got it out of them 2 years in a row.

He just knows the game

I was hoping the Lakers could find a coach like Larry Brown. I think Hurley is the right choice.
Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:20 am    Post subject:

jb2 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
jb2 wrote:
One big hurdle has apparently been his wife not wanting to move...but moving to LA is different than moving to Kentucky. Waking up to/on the beach is hard to leave once you've done it. Perhaps having Jeanie and Linda show his wife around, have a girls day of sorts - aka no basketball talk but just getting to know the city, each other, and how she will fit into the Lakes fam, can help seal the deal.

Where was this "hurdle" reported that his wife not wanting to move? I haven't read that. Is this just some online nobody speculating?
'

I'm not IG

https://www.on3.com/college/connecticut-huskies/news/dan-hurley-wife-andrea-will-have-as-big-a-say-as-anyone-in-deciding-on-los-angeles-lakers-job-seth-greenberg-says/

It doesn't say she doesn't want to move. Said she will have a say
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:22 am    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Don’t Bull (bleep) lmao. Look at your name and how you constantly reply to anyone that has criticism of anything Klutch.

haha what a DF

Name calling, huh?

What happened to your grown-up bit?

Anyway this is when I stop responding. Just wanted to call you out on bull (bleep) since you love to interject at anything Klutch.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:24 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Don’t Bull (bleep) lmao. Look at your name and how you constantly reply to anyone that has criticism of anything Klutch.

haha what a DF

Name calling, huh?

Anyway this is when I stop responding. Just wanted to call you out on bull (bleep) since you love to interject at anything Klutch.

like you said in ur previous post: dont get emotional
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:24 am    Post subject:

bill murray's son is supposedly the brains behind uconn's offense, and he might become the new hc there and not follow hurley to la. anyone concerned with that?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:26 am    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

haha what a DF

Name calling, huh?

like you said in ur previous post: dont get emotional

Lmao. I have no emotion towards this.

Don’t worry Lebron Stan. All I’m concerned with is getting back to championship level basketball.

Just keep bull (bleep) 🫡
jb2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:27 am    Post subject:

CamReddish wrote:
jb2 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
jb2 wrote:
One big hurdle has apparently been his wife not wanting to move...but moving to LA is different than moving to Kentucky. Waking up to/on the beach is hard to leave once you've done it. Perhaps having Jeanie and Linda show his wife around, have a girls day of sorts - aka no basketball talk but just getting to know the city, each other, and how she will fit into the Lakes fam, can help seal the deal.

Where was this "hurdle" reported that his wife not wanting to move? I haven't read that. Is this just some online nobody speculating?
'

I'm not IG

https://www.on3.com/college/connecticut-huskies/news/dan-hurley-wife-andrea-will-have-as-big-a-say-as-anyone-in-deciding-on-los-angeles-lakers-job-seth-greenberg-says/

It doesn't say she doesn't want to move. Said she will have a say

Another link for your doubts:

https://thespun.com/nba/dan-hurley-wife-lakers-job-new-jersey

Quote:
Andrea Hurley, the wife of the UConn Huskies national title-winning head coach, is a New Jersey native. When Dan Hurley was linked to the Kentucky Wildcats job, he used his wife - and her living preferences - as a reason for why he stayed put at UConn.

“We just went to Rhode Island, which I had to drag her to, and then to Connecticut, I got her closer (to New Jersey). I can’t afford a divorce right now, I just started making money," he said of his wife back in April.

Straight from the horses mouth.

And ya having a say is obviously something that needs to be overcome which is why I mentioned Jeanie. Why are you arguing for the sake of arguing?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:31 am    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
bill murray's son is supposedly the brains behind uconn's offense, and he might become the new hc there and not follow hurley to la. anyone concerned with that?

https://x.com/ralph_masonjr/status/1799114813366513935?s=46&t=LZLzjVPmosqPbICOlCZLnQ

Here is the snippet.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:56 am    Post subject:

Fanta went on Trevor Lane’s pod. Some interesting stuff here.

dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:06 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Cliffs:

Lakers front office's goal is to get the contract signed today, before Hurley leaves town.

Close the deal Rob!
Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:12 am    Post subject:

Life changing money for his family. Kids are grown so he wouldn't be messing up any school stuff. Brother is in Arizona, so closer to Bobby
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:16 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:

Cliffs:

Lakers front office's goal is to get the contract signed today, before Hurley leaves town.

Close the deal Rob!

Who the hell is Cliffs? Is this the nobody that people have posted here as some sort of insider?
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:22 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:

Cliffs:

Close the deal Rob!

Who the hell is Cliffs? Is this the nobody that people have posted here as some sort of insider?

thats cuffs the legend you may be thinking about. Cliff's notes from that vid, Lakers are going to try and push hard to get him to take the job before he leaves town, and if he leaves town without taking the job, something went wrong. That was my most meaningful takeaway as far as the contract negotiations.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:31 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:

Cliffs:

Close the deal Rob!

thats cuffs the legend you may be thinking about. Cliff's notes from that vid, Lakers are going to try and push hard to get him to take the job before he leaves town, and if he leaves town without taking the job, something went wrong. That was my most meaningful takeaway as far as the contract negotiations.

Oh man, my apologies. You can tell I am happy its Friday. I guess I should have looked at the video. Cuffs is the hack...that's who I meant.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:32 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:

Cliffs:

Close the deal Rob!

Haha. I didn't get it 1st time either then I got its cox notes 😂
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:37 am    Post subject:

CamReddish wrote:
Life changing money for his family. Kids are grown so he wouldn't be messing up any school stuff. Brother is in Arizona, so closer to Bobby

When I woke up yesterday I was all groggy and opened my phone to see the Woj bomb about the Lakers and Hurley.

I was still half asleep, so I thought we were hiring Bobby Hurley.

I was like, "The dude that played PG for the Grant Hill/Christian Laettner Duke squad? He's a coach now?"

I don't follow college hoops at all so I had no idea.
Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:39 am    Post subject:

Triumph wrote:
CamReddish wrote:

When I woke up yesterday I was all groggy and opened my phone to see the Woj bomb about the Lakers and Hurley.

I was like, "The dude that played PG for the Grant Hill/Christian Laettner Duke squad? He's a coach now?"

Lol. Bobby Hurley isn't a bad coach either, I would like to see what he could do at a bigger school instead of !Arizona State
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:42 am    Post subject:

Triumph wrote:
CamReddish wrote:

This is a very get off my lawn comment

I agree with you though. I lost track of following college hoops. Back in the day I used to watch those teams but have not really watched for over 10 years now.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:45 am    Post subject:

From Howard Beck’s column

Quote:
But if Hurley, 51, is given a longer contract and a little latitude as the Lakers transition out of the LeBron Era, he’d have a great chance to succeed, Carlesimo said. And Carlesimo has as good a grasp of Hurley’s acumen as anyone—he coached him at Seton Hall in the early ’90s, and the two remain close. Carlesimo attended Hurley’s practices at UConn and, as a broadcaster, covered several of his games.

“He’s a great coach, he really is,” Carlesimo said, citing Hurley’s organization and attention to detail, as well as his demeanor. “The fact that he can be demanding and push the guys, but do it in a good way, where he uses humor. He’ll jump all over them, too. But they’re extremely well prepared. They’re so good coming out of timeouts. They’re so good coming out of the locker room at halftime. They’re so good in situations like underneath out of bounds and side out of bounds. He’d call a timeout in the NCAA tournament, and you knew they were going to score in the next possession.”

That kind of acumen translates well, said Ron Adams, a longtime NBA assistant coach, currently with the Warriors, who briefly worked under Stevens in Boston and watched him evolve. “Brad was a consummate coach in college,” Adams said. “He was an X and O guy, par excellence.” The same could be said of Hurley, who learned at the feet of his father, the legendary Bob Hurley Sr. “I think he’s a marvelous coach,” Adams said of Dan Hurley. “He comes from a tremendous basketball family. … I think his skill set is excellent for coming into the pros.”

There’s a stubborn notion that an intense, demanding college coach will fail at the NBA level, because NBA players won’t accept that style as easily as a young college player. There’s a hint of truth there, but that belief ignores the success of demanding NBA coaches like Popovich or Tom Thibodeau or Michael Malone.

“I know a lot of people will say, ‘Well, he’s a really demanding coach,’” Adams said. “Well yes, and that’s going to be a strength in the pros. You may have to dress it up differently, but that will be a strength of his if he’s good with people and good at bringing out the best version of a player. That’s going to work in the pros, too.”

Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:50 am    Post subject:

On the topic of Bobby Hurley..... He is more qualified for the job than JJ Redick
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:51 am    Post subject:

https://x.com/ralph_masonjr/status/1799131247303880812?s=46&t=LZLzjVPmosqPbICOlCZLnQ

Quote:
“I expect Luke Murray to go with Dan Hurley to Lakers, if he takes this job”

@John_Fanta @LakersNation

“Based on sources, we are about 70-75% there. This is far along”

@John_Fanta

“This is gonna be done by the end of the weekend. We’ll have an answer by Sunday. UCONN has practice on Monday (he wants this done before that)”

Edit: Lakers are going to announce it right before tip off of G2
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:03 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
https://x.com/ralph_masonjr/status/1799131247303880812?s=46&t=LZLzjVPmosqPbICOlCZLnQ

Quote:

@John_Fanta

“This is gonna be done by the end of the weekend. We’ll have an answer by Sunday. UCONN has practice on Monday (he wants this done before that)”

This is a good update but I am actually surprised there aren't more boots on the ground to report stuff. Also, is John Fanta even a reliable source????
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Quote:

@John_Fanta

Yep.....Buck Foston
Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:05 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Quote:

@John_Fanta

This is a good update but I am actually surprised there aren't more boots on the ground to report stuff. Also, is John Fanta even a reliable source????

He is for college
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:10 am    Post subject:

fingers crossed.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90 ... 211, 212, 213  Next
Page 89 of 213
Jump to: