OFFICIAL GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7875, 7876, 7877 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

But that applies to a lot of teams though. As you've seen, health is huge in the playoffs. If Middleton was playing, it'd be Heat v. Bucks right now. Ja has actually missed the same amount of regular season games as LBJ this year, but he has better supporting talent around him.

Yin, you are a smart guy. you know the chances of an AD injury happening is 10times more then a guy like Middleton.

We have lived through it for past 3 years....Every game the dude falls down and we are hoping its not a season ending injury

10x? I don't know about that.

AD's two major injuries this year though were not due to his fragileness. One was a player literally running into his knee, and the other a horrific sprained foot. Injuries occur all the time and it seems more and more in today's NBA, that it is affecting a lot. Ask the Suns who went through the WC with every opposing team having a star player out with injury for example.
Maginka
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:00 am    Post subject:

You guys are trying to re-paint a house with these trades for one that has foundational issues....

History will most likely repeat itself.....consolation prizes...a draft pick in the teens, Westbrook contract expiring, LeBron points record

Top-end talent looks good on paper, but in practice....too old, too injury prone, and too stubborn/can't shoot

This is a teardown......

Teams that are all still standing have a team-building philosophy that they stay the course with, a coaching culture, and roster depth
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
They do have draft picks. They will have 2 draft picks in 2023, 24, and 25. Then they have 26-29 on the books for now.

That's true, but remember that there is a swap option in '23. So if either the '23 or the '24 pick turns out to be good, the Pelicans will snap it up.

Ming is basically laying out the worst-case scenario. My concern has been that we will keep making moves that put us into the long-term hell that is the play-in slots. In other words, not good enough to contend, but not bad enough to get good draft picks. We would keep looking for quick fixes, but not have a viable plan to build a contender.

I think we've followed the Lakers long enough, and especially in Jeanie's tenure, that they will likely use the star FA route rather than a prolonged and painful rebuild via draft. I don't think Jeanie had the stomach for that again and IMO she probably hated the 6-7 years we missed the playoffs. If you're craving an organic, draft oriented rebuild, the Lakers may not be the team for you. I don't see them doing that and pursuing a star FA means we will often have to overpay (either trade or via FA), and get a player who is already 28 or so years old after their rookie deal and first extension are over. Not an ideal long term strategy but it is what it is.

Lakers were really blessed to have had Kobe for all these years in the 2000s to paper the usually failed star FA plans from the mid-2000s up to LBJ.

The Lakers will become the Knicks West (if they haven't already).
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
THT for kcp straight up, benefits both teams

I don't know why, but I still have high hopes for THT. 🫤

I think he could still realize some potential but it would have to be on a team that actually develops him as a point guard and not just park him on the perimeter.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject:

I don’t get it, Jeanie can’t stomach a 4-5 year rebuild but is willing to languish in play in/first round territory for 4-5 years waiting on cap space to clear to go after FAs? Following their pursuit of Lebron, who is 29-32 now that might be available once Westbrook/Lebron/AD’s salaries clear? We do have some draft picks coming up in the next few years but I would give the chances that we select a player who lasts more than 3 years with us at about 25%.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
epic_ wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
THT for kcp straight up, benefits both teams

I don't know why, but I still have high hopes for THT. 🫤

I think he could still realize some potential but it would have to be on a team that actually develops him as a point guard and not just park him on the perimeter.

Yea, definitely doesn't seem like he can mesh in a team that has Westbrook. Btw, I just realized the emojis I use when posting on my phone show up as UTF-8 replacement characters when viewing from a PC. Hahaha. Oops.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject:

I think Talen's ceiling is Bonzi Wells.

Bonzi was a great role player on those Blazer teams, co-captained the Kings to the playoffs. Not a star.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I don’t get it, Jeanie can’t stomach a 4-5 year rebuild but is willing to languish in play in/first round territory for 4-5 years waiting on cap space to clear to go after FAs? Following their pursuit of Lebron, who is 29-32 now that might be available once Westbrook/Lebron/AD’s salaries clear? We do have some draft picks coming up in the next few years but I would give the chances that we select a player who lasts more than 3 years with us at about 25%.

If this is her goal, Stotts will be the coach
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject:

Agree, that is why I have said that I expect them to hire Stotts.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:08 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think they are waiting on Jokic to take his supermax deal b/f dealing Russ, in the small chance that Jokic hits FA in 2023. Once that is finished, I think they will look to finally move Russ, take on some deals that still go through 2022-23, and look at the 2024 market (KAT, Booker, Brown, Murray are the headliners...as you said, nothing transcendent there).

I think they'll make the coaching decision first, which is sensible. Of the guys you named, Booker seems the most likely (or, more accurately, the least unlikely). He's sort of a Kobe Lite. I could see him turning down an extension and wanting to come to Hollywood. Towns is a possibility, too, but I think he'll take the money from the TWolves.

Either of those guys -- or even both of them -- would trigger my concern about where we're going. We'd be stripping down the roster to clear cap space (or, more accurately, keeping it stripped down). I don't see either (or both) of them making us a contender without a strong supporting cast. Still, it wouldn't be the worst-case scenario.

Once you get past them, you're probably looking at throwing money at a couple borderline stars. This would be an elevated version of the Mozgov/Deng signings. We'd be getting guys at a higher level than Mozgov and Deng, but we'd end up as a team that scrambles for the play-in tournament every year. That's the scenario that worries me the most.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:15 am    Post subject:

Magic and Phil are gonna convince Jeanie to keep Westbrook aren’t they?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

And to hire Doc Rivers
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

If we keep Westbrook, it will be because the other options are worse. I think that what you are hearing about Magic and PJ shows that they understand the true situation better than a lot of fans. We could end up throwing good money after bad, so to speak.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject:

I heard the Lakers aren’t intrigued with the idea of taking back long term money, to me that signals that they could careless about LeBron’s last few great years and thus.. should tear it all down and trade LeBron and AD.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I heard the Lakers aren’t intrigued with the idea of taking back long term money, to me that signals that they could careless about LeBron’s last few great years and thus.. should tear it all down and trade LeBron and AD.

From what Magic said, HE seems to think it wouldn't be good to take a contract longer than Westbrook's if the player isn't good. Did you hear something different?
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

From what Magic said, HE seems to think it wouldn't be good to take a contract longer than Westbrook's if the player isn't good. Did you hear something different?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kareem_is_it/status/1528767725476225030
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject:

They don’t want to take back longer deals because of the repeater tax.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kareem_is_it/status/1528767725476225030

He's not Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Magic is essentially laundering the Westbrook logic for Jeanie here. Trading Russ for guys that didn’t even play would represent an upgrade in team production. But it would it would cost Jeanie money.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Honestly we have 2 of the best players in the NBA in AD and LeBron, nothing should prevent this FO to do every thing necessary to build a championship team, Warriors and others in the up coming years are gonna try taking over the NBA it baffles me that the cheapness of the FO is gonna be the reason why we are gonna gonna fall flat into our faces.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Circumstances likely keeps Westbrook here or we make a mistake into several more mistakes. I have always been of the opinion that he is on the opening day roster.
jb2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject:

Maginka wrote:
You guys are trying to re-paint a house with these trades for one that has foundational issues....

History will most likely repeat itself.....consolation prizes...a draft pick in the teens, Westbrook contract expiring, LeBron points record

Top-end talent looks good on paper, but in practice....too old, too injury prone, and too stubborn/can't shoot

This is a teardown......

Teams that are all still standing have a team-building philosophy that they stay the course with, a coaching culture, and roster depth

Your argument may or may not be correct.. personally I think LeBron and AD + the correct level of depth/young legs/IQ/coaching can still be a true contender. However, that is up for debate, I suppose. Can it be done in one summer? That's definitely up for debate.

But what's the point of tearing it down and starting a long rebuild when we don't have control of so many of our picks between now and 2027? I mean you want a 4-5 year rebuild when NO can swap and steal our lotto picks?

Personally, I'd put faith in Jesse & Joey and their proven track record at drafting by buying as many picks as possible and letting them work their magic. This might contradict what I just said but I'd also simultaneously be open to moving/swapping picks in 2027-29 if we can build a legit championship team while adding young players in the 2nd round/undrafted.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject:

Why complicate matters by trying to rectify a bad trade and compounding it with another bad trade. Keep Russ, plug your nose, and swallow the horrible medicine. At least the pain is over in a year. We would only get more years of other teams headaches if we trade Russ. Our only salvation (my worthless opinion) for us to legitimately being a contender next season by offing Russ would be if we can somehow get Kyrie (with some luck as well).
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject:

This guy is reporting that Durant and LeBron are trying to team up together and play together for the next few years...

https://mobile.twitter.com/PagnattiJr/status/1528792341045190657
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
This guy is reporting that Durant and LeBron are trying to team up together and play together for the next few years...

https://mobile.twitter.com/PagnattiJr/status/1528792341045190657

Don't believe everything you read. This seems furthest from the truth.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7875, 7876, 7877 ... 8558, 8559, 8560  Next
Page 7876 of 8560
Jump to: