College football
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 75, 76, 77  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
When Cal and Stanford can't find a conference something is very wrong with college football. Sadly the way its going they are taking the "college" part out of college football.

You mean it'd be more "college" if they kept the Pac12 intact?

Honestly, I think it's more for the fans than the student-athletes.

Fans have nostalgia and want things to remain the same. I don't know if student athletes care.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:25 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
When Cal and Stanford can't find a conference something is very wrong with college football. Sadly the way its going they are taking the "college" part out of college football.

Fans have nostalgia and want things to remain the same. I don't know if student athletes care.

I'm saying that the way its going there aren't going to be a lot of colleges left to participate in college football. Lets face it the number of teams that are in the national title picture are the same usual suspects. When the schools they beat up realize they can no longer keep up and choose to disband the program then you will have problems.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I'm saying that the way its going there aren't going to be a lot of colleges left to participate in college football. Lets face it the number of teams that are in the national title picture are the same usual suspects. When the schools they beat up realize they can no longer keep up and choose to disband the program then you will have problems.

This is inevitable, the way things are going. You can't condense college football down to a couple of conferences that are stacked with the elite powerhouses and expect the system to sustain a collection of smaller schools relegated to inconsequence.

If this is the route the NCAA wants to take college football, they may as well scrap the whole idea of the student athlete and just make it a development league for the NFL "sponsored" by the colleges and pay the players.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Yeah, not following you.

Let's take the Big 10 for example. They got huge. They have a huge TV contract. You're saying, some of those schools will leave the Big 10 later because they can't win?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:36 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Yeah, not following you.

Let's take the Big 10 for example. They got huge. They have a huge TV contract. You're saying, some of those schools will leave the Big 10 later because they can't win?

You realize that the Big Ten schools play teams out of conference right? They usually have 2 against schools that have no shot of beating them. Well if the costs to compete become so lopsided the administrators in those schools might ask the question, why bother? That is the danger in condensing the number of schools who can compete at the level of say Alabama, Ohio State, etc.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:16 am    Post subject:

Football is one thing, but how about all the other sports?

Oregon and Washington sending their women's volleyball team to play at Rutgers or Penn State is simply ridiculous.

They should probably just separate football out from all the other sports and go back to regional conferences for everything else.

Otherwise, they are going to be hating life having to send the tennis team 3,000 miles to play a match in front of 25 people.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Yeah, not following you.

You realize that the Big Ten schools play teams out of conference right? They usually have 2 against schools that have no shot of beating them. Well if the costs to compete become so lopsided the administrators in those schools might ask the question, why bother? That is the danger in condensing the number of schools who can compete at the level of say Alabama, Ohio State, etc.

Yeah, I realize that. I just didn't know what you were referring to.

Ok, what's the difference between what you described and what Alabama does every year with their soft non-conference schedules?
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:21 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Yeah, not following you.

Yeah, I realize that. I just didn't know what you were referring to.

Ok, what's the difference between what you described and what Alabama does every year with their soft non-conference schedules?

I think their point may be that with all these schools forming the mega conferences, the schools left on the outside may just opt to disband their programs since they'd be in a much lesser conference - and therefore not bring in big television/advertising/etc $$$ that comes with being associated with those conferences.

Cal/Stanford are not traditionally elite Football schools, but being part of the Pac-12 at least got them a decent piece of the pie from being associated with it. By moving to a much smaller/less heralded conference, the incoming money may not be enough, or worth the effort to continue having a football program. Not to mention it being much harder from a recruiting standpoint! It'd be hard to believe Cal and Stanford could receive as much television $ from being in the Mountain West/WAC/C-USA than they were previously by being in the Pac-12.

To answer your Alabama question, I don't think all of the smaller programs would necessarily disband, but perhaps a lot of these mid-tier programs like Cal/Stanford that were left behind in these mega mergers. For the smaller schools that the SEC likes to schedule for non-conference games, they still get a nice payday for being a punching bag and then continue living life in their non-major conference.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
I think their point may be that with all these schools forming the mega conferences, the schools left on the outside may just opt to disband their programs since they'd be in a much lesser conference - and therefore not bring in big television/advertising/etc $$$ that comes with being associated with those conferences.

Cal/Stanford are not traditionally elite Football schools, but being part of the Pac-12 at least got them a decent piece of the pie from being associated with it. By moving to a much smaller/less heralded conference, the incoming money may not be enough, or worth the effort to continue having a football program. Not to mention it being much harder from a recruiting standpoint! It'd be hard to believe Cal and Stanford could receive as much television $ from being in the Mountain West/WAC/C-USA than they were previously by being in the Pac-12.

To answer your Alabama question, I don't think all of the smaller programs would necessarily disband, but perhaps a lot of these mid-tier programs like Cal/Stanford that were left behind in these mega mergers. For the smaller schools that the SEC likes to schedule for non-conference games, they still get a nice payday for being a punching bag and then continue living life in their non-major conference.

Gotcha.

Yeah, it'd be interesting if that ended up happening. That'd be pretty drastic. We'll see how it plays out.

I'm thinking that everyone will eventually find a home somewhere.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:33 am    Post subject:

Deion has made Colorado football relevant again.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject:

Colorado gonna win in their first game against the national championship finalists TCU.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Colorado gonna win in their first game against the national championship finalists TCU.

USC vs Colorado on 9/30
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:06 pm    Post subject:

FSU#8 destroys LSU#5. Tigers have to drop out of top 10 after that
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

There's two teams in college football I despise, by a large margin, over every other team in CFB. That's Iowa and Colorado. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to have Rhule and the beloved Nebraska Cornhuskers shove a corn cob in his mouth.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

There's two teams in college football I despise, by a large margin, over every other team in CFB. That's Iowa and Colorado. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to have Rhule and the beloved Nebraska Cornhuskers shove a corn cob in his mouth.

Having some friends in Omaha that I played high school tennis with, and having visited them in Nebraska on 3 separate occasions, I can confirm that Nebraskans have deep contempt for Iowa and Colorado.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject:

The media is on the Colorado hype train, but if it wasn't for Deion Sanders would anybody be talking about their football program? They had not been relevant in ages and he is putting the program on the map again.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:36 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
The media is on the Colorado hype train, but if it wasn't for Deion Sanders would anybody be talking about their football program? They had not been relevant in ages and he is putting the program on the map again.

Prime Time is the reason. He brought attention to HBCU's now he's bringing it to Colorado. I don't like his son Shedeur being the starting QB and his other son Shilo starting safety. I don't like the optics.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Prime Time is the reason. He brought attention to HBCU's now he's bringing it to Colorado. I don't like his son Shedeur being the starting QB and his other son Shilo starting safety. I don't like the optics.

What is wrong with coaching your sons?

Especially when they are both standout players.

I love to see the Lee Corso's of the world trying to take shots at Deion who has forgotten more about football than a bozo like that would ever know.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject:

Sad times for the Cornhuskers, this one is a beatdown.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:14 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I love to see the Lee Corso's of the world trying to take shots at Deion who has forgotten more about football than a bozo like that would ever know.

I didn't say it was wrong. I said I didn't like the optics.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I didn't say it was wrong. I said I didn't like the optics.

Deion is the only coach willing to see Shedeur as a pocket passer who runs when needed. His other coaches wanted him to be an option heavy, QB draw, running quarterback. He threw for 390 yards 2TD no interceptions today and 500 yards 4TD zero interceptions last week. Deion believes in his boy and is being proven right .
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Pac-12 putting on a good showing in its final year.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:51 pm    Post subject:

There aren't 10 QB's in the NFL that are better than Caleb Williams right at this moment. This dude will be the closest thing to Mahomes that the NFL has. Mobility plus arm talent is a lethal combination, and he's not looking to run, just like Mahomes...but he can.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject:

USC beating Stanford 42-3 and we aren't even halfway thru the 2nd quarter....
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:21 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
USC beating Stanford 42-3 and we aren't even halfway thru the 2nd quarter....

49-3 at the half.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 58 of 77
Jump to: