Max Christie the Lakers 35th Pick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 53, 54, 55  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:20 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Is he playing Summer League again?

As a developmental player, Christie should get some summer league run.
JJin77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:40 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Lakers clearly betting pretty hard on Max’s upside, because his production even when he did get minutes didn’t warrant 8 per year. Good catch and shoot from three, but as much as we keep saying his defense is good (and he does seem to use his length to try to contest well), guys were hitting shots pretty comfortably over his contests for the most part, from my memory. Maybe it was all Ham effing up, but Max is still just potential right now. Hopefully he pans out in a big way for us. If he does, his K would be an extremely good value.

Agreed. I think it's a good bet personally but I'm also a homer

Regardless of Max's potential and worth, this deal doesn't make sense at all.

1) Timing is fxxked up. When Lebron grants a significant pay cut in order to help FO to get impactful vet, resigning Max to an overpay contract should not be the top of your priorities.

2) Max is a rfa, so why the fxxk are we paying 8 mil to a 21 yr old who mostly played during garbage min. with unimpressive stat?? Who are we trying to protect him from??? Even if there were few team who were interested in his service, no fo with right mind would be willing to offer him more than tpmle at the most who showed nothing of worth so far. Why are we bidding against ourselves? Furthermore, even if someone does offer him 8 mil we could have just match that offer. Like I said, he was a rfa. He should never have been a priority in the first place.

I mean, if this deal is not part of a pre-arranged sign and trade or something of that effect, it raises an alarming concern on this FO's understanding of basic CBA procedure, player evaluation and negotiation ability. Above is the reason I keep on telling myself that there gotta be some undiscovered resason behind it. Otherwise, we have much bigger issue than paying max 8 mil per yr, regardless of whether he proves his worth or not.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:36 am    Post subject:

^ Yeah I agree. It's an overpay. The Lakers did the same thing with Rui last year because Rob is bad at hsi job.

What I'm saying is that it will be worthwhile long term to have locked Christie up. This contract may end up being a steal in Years 2 and 3. But it's simultaneously an obvious overpay. Goga got the same kind of deal and he's a substantially better player right now.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:20 am    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:

<snip>

I thought my answer was pretty clear LOL. You and I are saying the same thing.

Sorry was a bit buzzed when i posted
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:52 am    Post subject:

JJin77 wrote:
tox wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Lakers clearly betting pretty hard on Max’s upside, because his production even when he did get minutes didn’t warrant 8 per year. Good catch and shoot from three, but as much as we keep saying his defense is good (and he does seem to use his length to try to contest well), guys were hitting shots pretty comfortably over his contests for the most part, from my memory. Maybe it was all Ham effing up, but Max is still just potential right now. Hopefully he pans out in a big way for us. If he does, his K would be an extremely good value.

1) Timing is fxxked up. When Lebron grants a significant pay cut in order to help FO to get impactful vet, resigning Max to an overpay contract should not be the top of your priorities.

2) Max is a rfa, so why the fxxk are we paying 8 mil to a 21 yr old who mostly played during garbage min. with unimpressive stat?? Who are we trying to protect him from??? Even if there were few team who were interested in his service, no fo with right mind would be willing to offer him more than tpmle at the most who showed nothing of worth so far. Why are we bidding against ourselves? Furthermore, even if someone does offer him 8 mil we could have just match that offer. Like I said, he was a rfa. He should never have been a priority in the first place.

I mean, if this deal is not part of a pre-arranged sign and trade or something of that effect, it raises an alarming concern on this FO's understanding of basic CBA procedure, player evaluation and negotiation ability. Above is the reason I keep on telling myself that there gotta be some undiscovered resason behind it. Otherwise, we have much bigger issue than paying max 8 mil per yr, regardless of whether he proves his worth or not.

Well said. This front office is hopeless. And I like Max!
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:53 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
^ Yeah I agree. It's an overpay. The Lakers did the same thing with Rui last year because Rob is bad at hsi job.

What I'm saying is that it will be worthwhile long term to have locked Christie up. This contract may end up being a steal in Years 2 and 3. But it's simultaneously an obvious overpay. Goga got the same kind of deal and he's a substantially better player right now.

Kelly Oubre too.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:02 am    Post subject:

JJin77 wrote:
tox wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

I have to agree. Kupchak used to always tell rfa's to go out there and see what they can get.

Worst case scenario, a team makes an offer and we have the option to match.

Best case, the player receives no offers and we can negotiate without competition.

Rob basically took all the advantages that were built into the restricted status and threw them out the window for no reason at all.
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 8:46 am    Post subject:

JJin77 wrote:
tox wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

Yup. No other teams were going to pay Kormac Carl Max Christie anything near $8 million X 4.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:11 pm    Post subject:

JamaalWilkes wrote:
JJin77 wrote:
tox wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

Yup. No other teams were going to pay Kormac Carl Max Christie anything near $8 million X 4.

This means we're getting #18 !!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:41 am    Post subject:

Max Christie's potential they see is that he is very athletic and quick off the ground an a three point shooter and has a high defensive upside.

Max at his BASE

- Very athletic
- Quick off the ground leaps
- High defensive upside
- Consistent three point shooter
- Not afraid to go to the basket

Max's weakness was that he wasn't strong enough to finish at the basket sometimes. He would go to the basket frequently but he ran into people stronger than him which made it harder for him to finish but he was trying to dunk on everyone and everything when he did.

They believe if Max continues to progress and gets his man strength that he'll be an extremely valuable player for them. And they aren't wrong.

JJin77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:09 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
tox wrote:

Kelly Oubre too.

And we are supposedly a win now team....
JJin77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:32 pm    Post subject: Q

MJST wrote:
Max Christie's potential they see is that he is very athletic and quick off the ground an a three point shooter and has a high defensive upside.

Max at his BASE

- Very athletic
- High defensive upside

Max's weakness was that he wasn't strong enough to finish at the basket sometimes. He would go to the basket frequently but he ran into people stronger than him which made it harder for him to finish but he was trying to dunk on everyone and everything when he did.

They believe if Max continues to progress and gets his man strength that he'll be an extremely valuable player for them. And they aren't wrong.

You missed the point.
His potential has nothing to do with my pouting. He may or may not live up to his contract or outperforms it, even.
The point is that there was no need to overpay him(plus w/ a PO on 4th yr? rllly???) without testing the market. There was literally zero risk to wait till the last moment. Chances of getting at team friendlier contract were far greater than some mysterious team offers over 8mil a yr on Max with their capspace or mle. Honestly, what's the downside of waiting on rfa???

Furthermore, are we not a win now team anymore???
Nic Batum at 2yr 10mil makes me jealous. He is perfect battle tested high IQ big wing vet who can make an impact in playoffs. Too old? Fine.
Kelly Obure at 2yr 16mil would have been much much better value.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Q

JJin77 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Max at his BASE

- Very athletic
- High defensive upside

You missed the point.
His potential has nothing to do with my pouting. He may or may not live up to his contract or outperforms it, even.
The point is that there was no need to overpay him(plus w/ a PO on 4th yr? rllly???) without testing the market. There was literally zero risk to wait till the last moment. Chances of getting at team friendlier contract were far greater than some mysterious team offers over 8mil a yr on Max with their capspace or mle. Honestly, what's the downside of waiting on rfa???

Nic Batum at 2yr 10mil makes me jealous. He is perfect battle tested high IQ big wing vet who can make an impact in playoffs. Too old? Fine.

How much would you have paid him? 6 million instead of 8?
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:50 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Max at his BASE

- Very athletic
- High defensive upside

I agree.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:54 am    Post subject:

I’m expecting a huge year out of Max Christie. As far as contract, $7m is a better trade piece than $5m and the contract doesn’t change the apron situation, it’s Bronny’s contract (reg instead of 2-way, 15 filled instead of 14) that pushed us into 2nd apron potentially needing to dump someone for him
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Q

JJin77 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Max at his BASE

- Very athletic
- High defensive upside

You missed the point.

The Lakers already get whatever production Oubre would give us from Hachimura. Also Oubre can't shoot for squat, which Hachimura can do, or play defense consistently, and defense and shooting are two things Christie can do.

Athletic wing is what Oubre is, he can score, but he can't play defense and can't shoot.

On THIS team Oubre would be like the 5th scoring option, and one we don't need.

Christie for his athleticism, three point shooting and defense gives us more value than Oubre does. Especially when we already have Hachimura whom fills whatever role Oubre would have here while being a far better shooter.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:36 am    Post subject:

I like this contract. Just wish it was for 4 years without an option but maybe that’s what it took to get him to agree to not go on the open market. The way he was treated last year might have something to do with that.

I would say that Max is the perfect archetype for a shooting guard.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:29 am    Post subject:

9ppg 38% 3fg shooting should be the minimum expectation for him this coming season, and that’s what Prince gave us last season. So anything less than that, contract will look bad.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:59 am    Post subject:

1st, I'm not sure if Christie will play in Summer, didn't he tear it up in there last season?

I'm sure he can do better than Prince if given the minutes...!

He is just too baby-faced...lol
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:21 am    Post subject:

JamaalWilkes wrote:
MJST wrote:
Is he playing Summer League again?

As a developmental player, Christie should get some summer league run.

3rd year players under contract don't participate in summer league.

EDIT: Also wanted to add that Summer League isn't really about development. It's part showcase, part tryout, part introduction to professional competitive play.

Last edited by LuciusAllen on Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:26 am    Post subject:

The expectation is gonna be high on this kid
#18 next...
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:36 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
9ppg 38% 3fg shooting should be the minimum expectation for him this coming season, and that’s what Prince gave us last season. So anything less than that, contract will look bad.

Think it's more important that he not be a negative player. Prince was a negative for the majority of the season even when he shot well because of his weak defense and rebounding.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:26 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
miggz23 wrote:

Think it's more important that he not be a negative player. Prince was a negative for the majority of the season even when he shot well because of his weak defense and rebounding.

MaxC shows he can rebound really good for his size. Better than Prince. I think he needs a solid offensive production, specially if he is replacing Prince’s minutes. He simply can’t be blackhole in there. Defensively he is better suited guarding the 2.
Dominic1981
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:33 pm    Post subject:

I am surprised Max got 4/32 given that there was not much improvement at all between year 1 and year 2.

Compare his deal, to guys like Gabe Vincent/Buddy Hield that have actually had big playoff runs and put up bigger numbers in their career

Or compare Max to Ayo Dosunmu who was far more productive.

This is def an overpay
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:
I am surprised Max got 4/32 given that there was not much improvement at all between year 1 and year 2.

Compare his deal, to guys like Gabe Vincent/Buddy Hield that have actually had big playoff runs and put up bigger numbers in their career

Or compare Max to Ayo Dosunmu who was far more productive.

This is def an overpay

Ayo is definitely better offensively, hopefully Max will prove to be the better player.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 54 of 55
Jump to: