THE INEPTITUDE OF JEANIE STRIKES AGAIN
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:32 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
defense wrote:
I don't get the narrative the Lakers are a joke. I feel like they are the premier franchise in the NBA. Do you all mean the front office is a joke?

They were a joke before Lebron came. Like back in 2013 to 2017, how many national TV games did they get? They're not a joke now because Lebron is still relevant. Once Lebron retired, let's see what networks want to show Laker games again.

I don't think they were a joke in either instances. Nothing has changed. The Lakers are constantly brought up in the media because its what the fans want. It is also still a destination a lot of players want to come to. The problem is Lebron has to go before we get the next wave. The goal of trying to win championships has not changed either.

Joke franchise? Maybe Detroit
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:50 am    Post subject:

Since Dr. Jerry Buss passed away in early 2013, the Lakers franchise has been run, for the most part, poorly.
Too many coaches since Phil Jackson left.
Putting crap teams together in the twilight of Kobe's career which was embarrassing.
No future vision.
Yes, the Lakers won a title in 2020, but then didn't try and run it back with the same roster.
Letting good players walk out the door.
I think Jeanie is a moron. I think she's stupid, all her people are just as dumb. Having Linda Rambis and Kurt Rambis as your main advisors has to tell you something....
Rob has had moments of doing good things, but I also think he's salesman schmuck. He's gotten lucky a few times (Rui, Dlo trades) but also tanked on the Westbrook trade.

I would love to see the Lakers get sold to a really amazing investment group or partner. Someone that has a vision. Remove the nepotism within the organization and bring it real talented front office. For example, hiring Bob Myers and firing Pelinka would be the first thing I would do......
Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:59 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
defense wrote:
I don't get the narrative the Lakers are a joke. I feel like they are the premier franchise in the NBA. Do you all mean the front office is a joke?

They were a joke before Lebron came. Like back in 2013 to 2017, how many national TV games did they get? They're not a joke now because Lebron is still relevant. Once Lebron retired, let's see what networks want to show Laker games again.

They weren't a joke, they were going through a proper rebuild but caved to media pressure.

Look at th3 Celtics, they did it properly. The Mavs did it properly. They made draft picks, filled salary slots, kept assets, and made the trades at the proper time.

We are headed down the same path in a year or 2. We might already be at that point.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:34 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:

Their not. They literally took the spotlight during the league’s biggest time. They are in a transition. 3 years ago the Celtics were at a crossroads, lost in first round. Talk of breaking them up and no one cared. They are in the finals and we overshadowed them. We are the league.
golden armor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:06 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Since Dr. Jerry Buss passed away in early 2013, the Lakers franchise has been run, for the most part, poorly.
Putting crap teams together in the twilight of Kobe's career which was embarrassing.
No future vision.
Yes, the Lakers won a title in 2020, but then didn't try and run it back with the same roster.
I think Jeanie is a moron. I think she's stupid, all her people are just as dumb. Having Linda Rambis and Kurt Rambis as your main advisors has to tell you something....
Rob has had moments of doing good things, but I also think he's salesman schmuck. He's gotten lucky a few times (Rui, Dlo trades) but also tanked on the Westbrook trade.

I would love to see the Lakers get sold to a really amazing investment group or partner. Someone that has a vision. Remove the nepotism within the organization and bring it real talented front office. For example, hiring Bob Myers and firing Pelinka would be the first thing I would do......

Look what Guggenheim did when they bought the Dodgers. They hired the smartest man in the room who built the best organization in baseball. In the meantime, Jeanie relies on her bestie's husband and Kobe's buddy. I would love it if we could rehaul the organization based on merit and skill instead of friends of the owner.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:07 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:

if you're making the same offer that he already turned down from Kentucky either you're stupid or incompetent and wasting everyone's time.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:10 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
defense wrote:

if you're making the same offer that he already turned down from Kentucky either you're stupid or incompetent and wasting everyone's time.

Or wants to become a joke that everyone would literally laugh at. Pelinka is in the wrong occupation. He should be a comedian.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:13 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:

We celebrate IST and play-in banners
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:22 am    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
We celebrate IST and play-in banners

Bro… this is the saddest thing ever, ever… those things are flags, not banners

Ugh, I want a mufakin win, sign a damn coach, implement the system, wanna go for it then get the players, wanna rebuild then trade Bron… just WIN
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:26 am    Post subject:

golden armor wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
No future vision.

Look what Guggenheim did when they bought the Dodgers. They hired the smartest man in the room who built the best organization in baseball. In the meantime, Jeanie relies on her bestie's husband and Kobe's buddy. I would love it if we could rehaul the organization based on merit and skill instead of friends of the owner.

that's the key right there, and it won't get changed due to jeannie buss' personality. she doesn't handle criticism well, that's why she's surrounding herself with a bunch of yes-ma'ams. she also holds grudges like no other, she refused to make amends with Jerry West because he had harsh words for her ex phil jackson back in the days. well, there you have it. JEANNIE IS THE CORE OF THE PROBLEM. i kind of miss the Jim Buss, Kupchak days. sure those teams were mediocre at best, but at least the team was run professionally, Mitch although was gun shy and passive in getting FAs or trades, but he was well respected around the league, and people around the league respected the front office enough not to use it like cheap wh*re for bargaining.

Last edited by SGV-Laker fan on Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:35 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:

YES.

The Lakers are the best professional sports franchise in the modern era, but under Jeanie it has faltered significantly.

The merry-go-round of bad coaches, the way we delivered news of firing Vogel, the drama between Magic and Rob, the fact that Kurt and Linda Rambis have any say in decision making, the perception that LeBron is steering the ship and not Rob/the FO (this is debatable to an extent, but it is a widely held view), etc. etc.

This is not reflective of how great the Lakers have been in the past.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:53 am    Post subject:

think about this, has there ever been a time which a player in a certain team is richer than the owner? this is where we are right now. Lebron has a higher net worth than Jeanie Buss... never seen anything like this before.
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:57 am    Post subject:

LakerFan1987 wrote:
levon wrote:
defense wrote:
Insert whom ever you think is the best coach. At the end of the day it still wont matter because we have to build a contending team first. Step one will always be start the rebuild, what ever that looks like.

That starts with having an actual basketball mind in the braintrust, one that understands how to develop and what type of players to acquire for the system they want to run. This coach would have been that. They're not even remotely mutually exclusive.

I am looking forward to the day Guggenheim takes over and cleans house.

Hires Sam Presti and gives him full autonomy.

Pelinka has won before. What has presti won? Morey won? Balmer, Frank, and west won? I’m just saying … what does it say about them that Pelinka has a title, a conference finals appearance, and been profitable in his tenure yet they’ve won nothing!?
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:57 am    Post subject:

Lakers went straight downhill ever since Jeanie took over. That fluke championship was a curse in disguise as it empowered Jeanie to stay on as owner for longer and continue to run the franchise into the ground.

It's despicable that she still kept the same front office after years of failure. You would think they might hire someone like Brad Stevens to help turn the franchise around but they f'd that up with Hurley too.
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:07 am    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:
levon wrote:
defense wrote:
Insert whom ever you think is the best coach. At the end of the day it still wont matter because we have to build a contending team first. Step one will always be start the rebuild, what ever that looks like.

That starts with having an actual basketball mind in the braintrust, one that understands how to develop and what type of players to acquire for the system they want to run. This coach would have been that. They're not even remotely mutually exclusive.

I am looking forward to the day Guggenheim takes over and cleans house.

Hires Sam Presti and gives him full autonomy.

Pelinka has won before. What has presti won? Morey won? Balmer, Frank, and west won? I’m just saying … what does it say about them that Pelinka has a title, a conference finals appearance, and been profitable in his tenure yet they’ve won nothing!?

Please don't be so disingenuous, Presti if given the realms of the Lakers would have us winning multiple titles over the next decade.

The way he has built the Thunder with limited resources is mind boggling.

LBJ coming to the Lakers and bringing AD is the ONLY reason why Pelinka has a ring
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:10 am    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Time to get out Jeanie. You simply can’t compete in today’s sports environment.

Cash out and GTFO.

She literally has two max guys. She’s paying three coaches basically. She paid the tax. Reaves is on the max his salary can be. Rui is at 17 mil and Vando is a a double digit mil deal. She has the option of paying Dlo 18mil again. Just two years ago she paid a third max, the highest paid guy in the league for a year and a half. She’s won a title when other teams haven’t, including he billion dollar roommate who only made one wcf in his existence.

At a certain point she’s paid the cost, she’s been largely more successful than 90% the league

And till she pays top dollar on a FO, she will continue to carry this “cheap” title. It’s really that simple of a solution.

Here’s the thing, she has every right to fire him, but instead she has extended him. It’s actually pretty wild if you think about when that extension was given too.

Quote:
As the Los Angeles Lakers attempt to integrate a new coach, rebound from one of the most disappointing seasons in franchise history and maximize what's left in LeBron James' brilliant career, they have reaffirmed their faith in Rob Pelinka to lead the franchise through it.

Pelinka, the Lakers' vice president of basketball operations and general manager, signed a contract extension in the offseason that will take him through the 2025-26 season, league sources confirmed to ESPN.

The contract was agreed upon around the time Darvin Ham was hired as the 28th coach in team history in June, sources said. It was intended to assure Ham that he would have alignment with the front office during his tenure in L.A., sources said.

The contract agreement was first reported by Yahoo Sports on Saturday, with the Lakers' season opener against the Golden State Warriors looming on Oct. 18.

Pelinka, 52, joined L.A.'s front office in 2017 after representing Lakers legend Kobe Bryant as his agent for most of Bryant's career. His first task was undoing some of the decisions made by the previous regime led by general manager Mitch Kupchak and Jim Buss -- finding a trade partner to take on Timofey Mozgov, using the stretch provision on Luol Deng and dealing away several young players on multiyear deals in order to free up cap space so L.A. could be a player in free agency.

He was promoted from GM and given the title of VP of basketball operations in January 2020 after he presided over the team's free agent signing of James in July 2018 and trade for Anthony Davis in June 2019. The Lakers went on to win the championship to cap a trying 2019-20 season during which Bryant died in a helicopter crash and the league went on hiatus for four months because of the coronavirus. The championship delivered Jeanie Buss her first title since taking over for her late father, Dr. Jerry Buss, as team governor in 2013.

While the 2020 win over the Miami Heat was a major accomplishment, Pelinka's time with the team has had its challenges, too. The Lakers have failed to make the playoffs in three out of five seasons that Pelinka's been the GM, including twice since signing James.

The team, led by Pelinka, has also fired two coaches in the past four years in Luke Walton and Frank Vogel and saw Magic Johnson abruptly resign from the front office, later explaining on ESPN's First Take that he was tired of "all the backstabbing" he had to endure while working with Pelinka.

The contract extension came just months after L.A. finished last season 33-49, not even qualifying for the play-in tournament following a franchise-altering swap with the Washington Wizards to acquire Russell Westbrook in the summer of 2021.

"This was a disappointing Lakers season at every level and I think in the face of disappointment our fans expect more and that's at every facet. It starts with the front office led by me and our ability to construct the right roster," Pelinka said in April. "When you have disappointment, you need to take ownership of that and you need to vow to make the adjustments to be better and that's where the work starts today."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34755781/sources-lakers-gm-rob-pelinka-gets-extension-2026

Great story, bruh! If you & Ham were truly aligned, then you shoulda been gone too. Looks like it was just a-line you fed to our owner and the Laker fanbase…no different than the line you fed her/us with Kob given a legacy contract showing how the Lakers take care of their own, while our legend faded into mediocrity and had to deflect all the hate signing such a deal fresh off his unfortunate Achilles injury. . And our resident eScapeGOAT was born, duck & weaving his way thru all the muck while our Laker Legends in Buss, Magic & Kobe took all the yuck. What the F…

(bleep) that bubble chip really is his ONLY saving grace and I still believe it was won in spite of Rob’s ineptitude during that 2019 offseason. You give a GOAT candidate like Bron + vets like Dwight, Green, Rondo, Kieff + injury prone guys like AD a 4 month reCOVIDry window before a playoff run and it was the perfect storm that only a Bron-led team could achieve with their 3 choice at coach in Vogel.

Meanwhile KD, Book, Beal and the rigormorales of a typical 82 game regular season immediately followed by the playoffs led to an 0fer & the wrong side of a sweep by coach in the playoffs. Before that it was mediocrity in Orlando (which gives that bubble chip a nice redemptive arc) and running into a gut punch of a wall in Bron during coach’s heyday of a PG-led Indy team. Now I’m not trying poopoo over Vogs, but make no mistake about it, if it wasn’t for Bron, who is a generational player openly defiant of Father Time, then we probably don’t win that chip even with our 3rd choice in Vogs + a merry band of coaching candidates as his assistants coaching their asses off during that bubble run.

Outside of earning ring pops, Rob dumped salary/assets to go get a max player in free agency only to fall into just Danny as the major acquisition with all that green. He then trades dude + our FRP for Schro who then is allowed to walk for nothing along with AC.

This is where Jeanie’s cheap narrative begins to come to a head, even though legs had already sprouted when we tried making a run at a “Bron coach” & having it necessary to align their contract with Bron’s current deal.

Dude could have at the very least could have set up tax-free TPEs for Schro & AC to redeem later in the season, but that wasn’t even the most fraudulent inaction dude has done.

Dudes been so good and ducking criticism & accountability, you would think he’d be amazing at ducking the tax bill for “cheap” Jeanie…nope! We hung onto DJ & Ariza’s vet min deals during that unfortunate 2021/22 season and it cost ownership a combined 14m (1.8m in salary + 5.1m in associated taxes for each player) during a season where we missed the playoffs outright. Not only does he establish our status as a repeat tax offender, but he also feeds us a liene about how he had alignment with our star duo of Bron & AD to stand pat at the trade deadline. Thank goodness they called him out on it! Dude was this close to spinning his Klutch wanted to double down on the Russ trade by swapping a pick out with Russ for Klutch klient John Wall. Remember that one?

Yet Jeanie not only kept him around, but extended him directly following that 2021/22 clusterf*** of a season, where it was messed that Vogel would be fired multiple during that season and was leaked that he was fired immediately after their final regular season game, where Vogs had to embarrassingly answer to the press about his leaked firing after the fact. And Wojuldnt you know it on who leaked that particular story?!

And if that wasn’t enough, this past season the Rob negotiated the implicit NTC out of DLo’s 1+1 re-up, negotiated Gabe leaving about 2m off of receiving the full 12.4m ntpMLE, talked Reaves into taking the our early bird max and bypassing the poison pill inducing free agency offer sheets from our ops…only to stand pat at the trade deadline once again, knowing that lax trade rules of yesteryear’s expiring CBA were about to be no more and offering Woods, Cam and Hayes player option in their vet min deal meant that instead of each having 2m cap hit on our books would instead be 2.7m, 2.2m & 2.2m cap hits respectively. That extra 1m in cap hits would only add to our tax bill as repeat tax offender to the tune of an additional 2.5m. Something to note, we were 2.8m above the 165.3m luxury tax threshold. With the player options on Woods, Cam & Hayes adding 1m in extra cap hits and adding Dinwiddie with that 15th roster spot adding another 1.6m in additional cap hits towards us remaining a repeat tax offender. Had we negotiated those player options out if those 3 vet min players, bypassed signing Dinwiddie to his vet min deal with the 15th roster spot and talked any if our FAs (ie Gabe, Prince, DLo, Rui or Reaves) out of just ~200k, we would have ducked taxes for this season and had a soft reboot on our repeat tax offender status.

I guess with all that combined now with the botched Hurley attempt, Rob’s in liene to have another extension hurled his way. Jeanie, please make it all stop! Put your money where your mouth is and offer top dollar to top flight FO candidates to get us back to sustainable winning ways. Only then will you be able to shed your self of the cheapness that cowers around you.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:38 am    Post subject:

^^^but hiring a real basketball person to run the team means no jobs for the Rambii and the bunch of ex-laker players who have been free loading off of Jeannie Buss. No way this happens.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:22 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
defense wrote:

Now if you make an offer of 7 years 100 million and he still decide to stay at Connecticut, you get credit for taking a swing and willing to spent for the right candidate. But all that talk about the Lakers preparing a big offer and then it turns out to be a low ball 6 year 70 mil, less than what Monty Williams is getting per year, then you become a joke.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:34 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Time to get out Jeanie. You simply can’t compete in today’s sports environment.

Cash out and GTFO.

She literally has two max guys. She’s paying three coaches basically. She paid the tax. Reaves is on the max his salary can be. Rui is at 17 mil and Vando is a a double digit mil deal. She has the option of paying Dlo 18mil again. Just two years ago she paid a third max, the highest paid guy in the league for a year and a half. She’s won a title when other teams haven’t, including he billion dollar roommate who only made one wcf in his existence.

At a certain point she’s paid the cost, she’s been largely more successful than 90% the league

And till she pays top dollar on a FO, she will continue to carry this “cheap” title. It’s really that simple of a solution.

Here’s the thing, she has every right to fire him, but instead she has extended him. It’s actually pretty wild if you think about when that extension was given too.

Quote:
As the Los Angeles Lakers attempt to integrate a new coach, rebound from one of the most disappointing seasons in franchise history and maximize what's left in LeBron James' brilliant career, they have reaffirmed their faith in Rob Pelinka to lead the franchise through it.

Pelinka, the Lakers' vice president of basketball operations and general manager, signed a contract extension in the offseason that will take him through the 2025-26 season, league sources confirmed to ESPN.

The contract was agreed upon around the time Darvin Ham was hired as the 28th coach in team history in June, sources said. It was intended to assure Ham that he would have alignment with the front office during his tenure in L.A., sources said.

The contract agreement was first reported by Yahoo Sports on Saturday, with the Lakers' season opener against the Golden State Warriors looming on Oct. 18.

Pelinka, 52, joined L.A.'s front office in 2017 after representing Lakers legend Kobe Bryant as his agent for most of Bryant's career. His first task was undoing some of the decisions made by the previous regime led by general manager Mitch Kupchak and Jim Buss -- finding a trade partner to take on Timofey Mozgov, using the stretch provision on Luol Deng and dealing away several young players on multiyear deals in order to free up cap space so L.A. could be a player in free agency.

He was promoted from GM and given the title of VP of basketball operations in January 2020 after he presided over the team's free agent signing of James in July 2018 and trade for Anthony Davis in June 2019. The Lakers went on to win the championship to cap a trying 2019-20 season during which Bryant died in a helicopter crash and the league went on hiatus for four months because of the coronavirus. The championship delivered Jeanie Buss her first title since taking over for her late father, Dr. Jerry Buss, as team governor in 2013.

While the 2020 win over the Miami Heat was a major accomplishment, Pelinka's time with the team has had its challenges, too. The Lakers have failed to make the playoffs in three out of five seasons that Pelinka's been the GM, including twice since signing James.

The team, led by Pelinka, has also fired two coaches in the past four years in Luke Walton and Frank Vogel and saw Magic Johnson abruptly resign from the front office, later explaining on ESPN's First Take that he was tired of "all the backstabbing" he had to endure while working with Pelinka.

The contract extension came just months after L.A. finished last season 33-49, not even qualifying for the play-in tournament following a franchise-altering swap with the Washington Wizards to acquire Russell Westbrook in the summer of 2021.

"This was a disappointing Lakers season at every level and I think in the face of disappointment our fans expect more and that's at every facet. It starts with the front office led by me and our ability to construct the right roster," Pelinka said in April. "When you have disappointment, you need to take ownership of that and you need to vow to make the adjustments to be better and that's where the work starts today."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34755781/sources-lakers-gm-rob-pelinka-gets-extension-2026

Great story, bruh! If you & Ham were truly aligned, then you shoulda been gone too. Looks like it was just a-line you fed to our owner and the Laker fanbase…no different than the line you fed her/us with Kob given a legacy contract showing how the Lakers take care of their own, while our legend faded into mediocrity and had to deflect all the hate signing such a deal fresh off his unfortunate Achilles injury. . And our resident eScapeGOAT was born, duck & weaving his way thru all the muck while our Laker Legends in Buss, Magic & Kobe took all the yuck. What the F…

(bleep) that bubble chip really is his ONLY saving grace and I still believe it was won in spite of Rob’s ineptitude during that 2019 offseason. You give a GOAT candidate like Bron + vets like Dwight, Green, Rondo, Kieff + injury prone guys like AD a 4 month reCOVIDry window before a playoff run and it was the perfect storm that only a Bron-led team could achieve with their 3 choice at coach in Vogel.

Meanwhile KD, Book, Beal and the rigormorales of a typical 82 game regular season immediately followed by the playoffs led to an 0fer & the wrong side of a sweep by coach in the playoffs. Before that it was mediocrity in Orlando (which gives that bubble chip a nice redemptive arc) and running into a gut punch of a wall in Bron during coach’s heyday of a PG-led Indy team. Now I’m not trying poopoo over Vogs, but make no mistake about it, if it wasn’t for Bron, who is a generational player openly defiant of Father Time, then we probably don’t win that chip even with our 3rd choice in Vogs + a merry band of coaching candidates as his assistants coaching their asses off during that bubble run.

Outside of earning ring pops, Rob dumped salary/assets to go get a max player in free agency only to fall into just Danny as the major acquisition with all that green. He then trades dude + our FRP for Schro who then is allowed to walk for nothing along with AC.

This is where Jeanie’s cheap narrative begins to come to a head, even though legs had already sprouted when we tried making a run at a “Bron coach” & having it necessary to align their contract with Bron’s current deal.

Dude could have at the very least could have set up tax-free TPEs for Schro & AC to redeem later in the season, but that wasn’t even the most fraudulent inaction dude has done.

Dudes been so good and ducking criticism & accountability, you would think he’d be amazing at ducking the tax bill for “cheap” Jeanie…nope! We hung onto DJ & Ariza’s vet min deals during that unfortunate 2021/22 season and it cost ownership a combined 14m (1.8m in salary + 5.1m in associated taxes for each player) during a season where we missed the playoffs outright. Not only does he establish our status as a repeat tax offender, but he also feeds us a liene about how he had alignment with our star duo of Bron & AD to stand pat at the trade deadline. Thank goodness they called him out on it! Dude was this close to spinning his Klutch wanted to double down on the Russ trade by swapping a pick out with Russ for Klutch klient John Wall. Remember that one?

Yet Jeanie not only kept him around, but extended him directly following that 2021/22 clusterf*** of a season, where it was messed that Vogel would be fired multiple during that season and was leaked that he was fired immediately after their final regular season game, where Vogs had to embarrassingly answer to the press about his leaked firing after the fact. And Wojuldnt you know it on who leaked that particular story?!

And if that wasn’t enough, this past season the Rob negotiated the implicit NTC out of DLo’s 1+1 re-up, negotiated Gabe leaving about 2m off of receiving the full 12.4m ntpMLE, talked Reaves into taking the our early bird max and bypassing the poison pill inducing free agency offer sheets from our ops…only to stand pat at the trade deadline once again, knowing that lax trade rules of yesteryear’s expiring CBA were about to be no more and offering Woods, Cam and Hayes player option in their vet min deal meant that instead of each having 2m cap hit on our books would instead be 2.7m, 2.2m & 2.2m cap hits respectively. That extra 1m in cap hits would only add to our tax bill as repeat tax offender to the tune of an additional 2.5m. Something to note, we were 2.8m above the 165.3m luxury tax threshold. With the player options on Woods, Cam & Hayes adding 1m in extra cap hits and adding Dinwiddie with that 15th roster spot adding another 1.6m in additional cap hits towards us remaining a repeat tax offender. Had we negotiated those player options out if those 3 vet min players, bypassed signing Dinwiddie to his vet min deal with the 15th roster spot and talked any if our FAs (ie Gabe, Prince, DLo, Rui or Reaves) out of just ~200k, we would have ducked taxes for this season and had a soft reboot on our repeat tax offender status.

I guess with all that combined now with the botched Hurley attempt, Rob’s in liene to have another extension hurled his way. Jeanie, please make it all stop! Put your money where your mouth is and offer top dollar to top flight FO candidates to get us back to sustainable winning ways. Only then will you be able to shed your self of the cheapness that cowers around you.

Didn't read so I put it in Chatgpt to sum up the main points:

1) The writer criticizes the alignment between the team's management and coach Ham, suggesting it was a facade.

2) The "bubble championship" is viewed as the only major success despite perceived mismanagement by Rob Pelinka.

3) Pelinka is criticized for his offseason decisions, such as acquiring Danny Green instead of a max player and trading for Dennis Schröder who then left for nothing.

4) The post highlights financial mismanagement, including unnecessary luxury tax payments and failing to use trade exceptions.

5) Jeanie Buss is criticized for extending Pelinka's contract despite his poor performance and the firing of coach Vogel being mishandled.

6) Recent contract negotiations and player options have led to increased financial burdens and potential luxury tax issues for the team.

7) The writer calls for Buss to invest in top front office talent to achieve sustainable success and shed the reputation of being "cheap."
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:34 am    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
defense wrote:

Now if you make an offer of 7 years 100 million and he still decide to stay at Connecticut, you get credit for taking a swing and willing to spent for the right candidate. But all that talk about the Lakers preparing a big offer and then it turns out to be a low ball 6 year 70 mil, less than what Monty Williams is getting per year, then you become a joke.

yes exactly, lakers or someone within the organization shouldn't have leaked out about the offer he can't refuse. 6 year 70M in today's NBA head coaching circle is just above average.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:48 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:
defense wrote:

yes exactly, lakers or someone within the organization shouldn't have leaked out about the offer he can't refuse. 6 year 70M in today's NBA head coaching circle is just above average.

The leak came from Hurley's side
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:53 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Lakers went straight downhill ever since Jeanie took over. That fluke championship was a curse in disguise as it empowered Jeanie to stay on as owner for longer and continue to run the franchise into the ground.

It's despicable that she still kept the same front office after years of failure. You would think they might hire someone like Brad Stevens to help turn the franchise around but they f'd that up with Hurley too.

💯

GTFO Jeanie and clowns.
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:56 am    Post subject:

CamReddish wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
defense wrote:

They weren't a joke, they were going through a proper rebuild but caved to media pressure.

Look at th3 Celtics, they did it properly. The Mavs did it properly. They made draft picks, filled salary slots, kept assets, and made the trades at the proper time.

We are headed down the same path in a year or 2. We might already be at that point.

What?

The Lakers typically do not build title teams ground up. They don't build through the draft. They wait for players to become stars and then entice them through free agency or trade for them.

The Lakers used to be able to capitalize off of being one of the biggest markets and as the most glamorous franchise in the league from Dr. Buss' innovations and making the Lakers a celebrity draw in the 80's through early 2000's. Players were attracted to endorsement deals and off the court advantages of being here.

With times changing, the CBA, the internet, global marketing, Dr. Buss being gone, etc many of those advantages are now a thing of the past. You can play for a small market team and still be a global superstar now.

What has happened during Jeanie's ownership that inspires confidence she would have been able to build a title contender without someone like LeBron falling into her lap?

Was it the many awesome coaches we have had? How about missing the best player available on every #2 overall pick we had? Getting denied by the best coaches available every year?

This Dan Hurley thing was the first time I ever felt like we may be doing something right beyond just getting LeBron (and by extension AD).

And of course the Lakers fell flat on their faces by getting denied in the most public way possible.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Triumph wrote:
CamReddish wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
defense wrote:

What?

The Lakers typically do not build title teams ground up. They don't build through the draft. They wait for players to become stars and then entice them through free agency or trade for them.

The Lakers used to be able to capitalize off of being one of the biggest markets and as the most glamorous franchise in the league from Dr. Buss' innovations and making the Lakers a celebrity draw in the 80's through early 2000's. Players were attracted to endorsement deals and off the court advantages of being here.

With times changing, the CBA, the internet, global marketing, Dr. Buss being gone, etc many of those advantages are now a thing of the past. You can play for a small market team and still be a global superstar now.

What has happened during Jeanie's ownership that inspires confidence she would have been able to build a title contender without someone like LeBron falling into her lap?

Was it the many awesome coaches we have had? How about missing the best player available on every #2 overall pick we had? Getting denied by the best coaches available every year?

This Dan Hurley thing was the first time I ever felt like we may be doing something right beyond just getting LeBron (and by extension AD).

And of course the Lakers fell flat on their faces by getting denied in the most public way possible.

i understand Lakers do not build title teams and dynasty through draft picks and asset managment. but that was long time ago before the current CBA where rarely superstars jump ship during their prime. Lakers never adapted, they keep waiting for that prized free agent to land in their lap.
Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:24 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Triumph wrote:
CamReddish wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
defense wrote:

What?

i understand Lakers do not build title teams and dynasty through draft picks and asset managment. but that was long time ago before the current CBA where rarely superstars jump ship during their prime. Lakers never adapted, they keep waiting for that prized free agent to land in their lap.

Exactly. That is truly the only way to build now is with the draft and good asset management.

Doesn't matter how they used to build.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 6 of 17
Jump to: