*** 2024 NBA Finals Discussion thread - Mavs vs Celtics ***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 419, 420, 421, 422, 423, 424  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
I’m glad they didn’t reward Tatum for stat padding at the end and gave the FMVP to Brown.

Shoots 7-23 in a closeout game. Gets FMVP. That speaks volumes about how good the team is.

Should have just given it to Brad Stevens like Bob Myers said.

But from the body of work of the entire series, Brown was more halo than Tatum. Tatum knows how to play with the camera, I turned off the TV midway thru the 4th, he probably paraded his son Duece all over the camera didn’t he LOL.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Let it be known that Magic indirectly helped the Celtics by drafting Lonzo Ball over Jayson Tatum.....
Remember when people here thought Lonzo was God's gift to the Lakers...the team and organization we loved hasn't been the same for a long [b][i][color=green]long time.

Magic made a boo boo. But, who knew? Drafts are a carp shoot. Be honest, did you think Tatum was better than Lonzo? I didn't.

Some here, including myself, thought that the Lakers should draft Tatum. Especially when Lonzo bombed in his Laker workout. But that didn’t stop Magic.

It’s the same methodology that runs through the organization. Lonzo was good for business being a hometown marketing phenom with BBB. That was always going to tilt the scale. Magic was reportedly interested in Fox.

Really missed out on Fox. Now thats a clutch winner who would go right at Jamal Murray and may or may not outplay him but would have done a much better job on the whole than Russell.
Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
I’m glad they didn’t reward Tatum for stat padding at the end and gave the FMVP to Brown.

Shoots 7-23 in a closeout game. Gets FMVP. That speaks volumes about how good the team is.

I mean Kobe shot 6-24 in a game 7 and got it.

Brown was the best player this series for the Celtics
WorthyNum1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:47 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
troy wrote:
Congratulations to the World Champion Boston Celtics!

Now, Lakers have their needed motivation!

We have a team of front running losers.

Weird take considering we have a handful of the craziest comeback wins in the last 2 years…

2023 — eliminated by Denver in 4 games
2024 — rematch! eliminated by Denver in 5 games

Front running losers.

I don’t see how losing to a superior team is front-running.

You haven’t been a Lakers fan very long .

1984 we lost to Boston. We got the rematch in 1985.
2003 we lost to San Antonio. We got the rematch in 2004.
2008 we lost to Boston. We got the rematch in 2010.

We used to have a team that wanted that rematch! Now we have a team that want to avoid it.

Well, talking about rematch, the Lakers aren't really that hot.

1962 we lost to Boston, we lost the rematch in 1963.
1965 we lost to Boston, we lost the rematch in 1966.
1968 we lost to Boston, we lost the rematch in 1969.
1978 we lost to Seattle, we lost the rematch in 1979.
1997 we lost to Utah, we lost the rematch in 1998.
2006 we lost to Phoenix, we lost the rematch in 2007.

And the worst of them all, in 1960, we lost the Western Finals to the Hawks 4-3. After getting a 3-2 lead, we lost games 6 & 7.
Then in 1961, we lost the Western Finals to the Hawks 4-3 again. After getting a 3-2 lead, we lost games 6 & 7 again.

To cap it off, in the 1962 Finals, we got a 3-2 lead on the Celtics, then we lost games 6 & 7 again.

It's 3 consecutive years that the Lakers won game 5 and led the series 3-2, and lost game 6 & 7 to choke. That's a 0-6 after breaking the 2-2 tie and taking a 3-2 series lead.

Last edited by WorthyNum1 on Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:04 pm; edited 4 times in total
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:48 pm    Post subject:

CamReddish wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Kobe was clearly better than everyone else though. That really wasn't the case in this series. By that logic it should have gone to Luka.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:49 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Let it be known that Magic indirectly helped the Celtics by drafting Lonzo Ball over Jayson Tatum.....
Remember when people here thought Lonzo was God's gift to the Lakers...the team and organization we loved hasn't been the same for a long [b][i][color=green]long time.

Magic made a boo boo. But, who knew? Drafts are a carp shoot. Be honest, did you think Tatum was better than Lonzo? I didn't.

Some here, including myself, thought that the Lakers should draft Tatum. Especially when Lonzo bombed in his Laker workout. But that didn’t stop Magic.

It’s the same methodology that runs through the organization. Lonzo was good for business being a hometown marketing phenom with BBB. That was always going to tilt the scale. Magic was reportedly interested in Fox.

Really missed out on Fox. Now thats a clutch winner who would go right at Jamal Murray and may or may not outplay him but would have done a much better job on the whole than Russell.

If it's any consolation, any player drafted in place of Lonzo would have become the sacrificial lamb for AD anyways so it's a moot point. Even Brown and Tatum would have been traded for AD as well because I've just checked their stats, by 2019, they haven't flourished yet.
Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
CamReddish wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Kobe was clearly better than everyone else though. That really wasn't the case in this series. By that logic it should have gone to Luka.

I said Celtics, and Brown was clearly the best Celtic this series. Luka had good stats, but was horrible on defense, so he hurt the Mavs a good bit. Brown was great on defense this series.

Do you take defense into account?
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
CamReddish wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Kobe outscored everybody in that series by a cool 10ppg. People still harping about "6-24" are hilarious.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:56 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

If it's any consolation, any player drafted in place of Lonzo would have become the sacrificial lamb for AD anyways so it's a moot point. Even Brown and Tatum would have been traded for AD as well because I've just checked their stats, by 2019, they haven't flourished yet.

That’s true. We could have had Lebron, AD and the young players but our FO doesn’t think that far ahead.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:57 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
CamReddish wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Kobe outscored everybody in that series by a cool 10ppg. People still harping about "6-24" are hilarious.

Yep that's what I was saying. Kobe was just that much better. The shooting thing never mattered because he pulled in 15 crucial rebounds in a defensive battle.

Brown's last 2 games, he combined for 10/35. He averaged 20/5/5 on 44/23/73 splits this series. In that case, just give it to Tatum because of his gravity and playmaking. Come on dude.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Just watched Tatum’s interview right after the game ended, I think he’s the corniest guy in the league. He tried to mimick KG’s yell, but with weak arse words like “we did it” LOL. Brown was all real though, I’m glad he got the FMVP.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:02 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
troy wrote:

Weird take considering we have a handful of the craziest comeback wins in the last 2 years…

Front running losers.

We used to have a team that wanted that rematch! Now we have a team that want to avoid it.

We literally won the pels game to lock Into the 7th seed and avoid taking our chances in the play-in lol.

Are we a good team? No. Absolutely not. But we didn’t duck Denver…we’re just not as good as them.
Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player

Denny_Russo wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
CamReddish wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Yep that's what I was saying. Kobe was just that much better. The shooting thing never mattered because he pulled in 15 crucial rebounds in a defensive battle.

Brown's last 2 games, he combined for 10/35. He averaged 20/5/5 on 44/23/73 splits this series. In that case, just give it to Tatum because of his gravity and playmaking. Come on dude.

Probably should have been Co MVPs. Tatum was better last 2 games and was a better playmaker
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

Quote tree getting toolong. You can refer to it if need be.

WorthyNum1 wrote:
Quote:
I sure did. I gave you the reason not to blame anyone (1. not as painful, 2. would have lost in the AD trade anyway). Your question doesn't warrant just a name or a "no one to blame" answer.

A reason or two behind it is just as good, if not better.

OK. You blamed Magic for not drafting Tatum. You blame no one for JB and BI. A simple I blame no one would have sufficed.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

WorthyNum1 wrote:

2006 we lost to Phoenix, we lost the rematch in 2007.

We got them back on Christmas.

We also sent them home in 2010.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

Jaylen Brown has that Scottie Pippen like winning personality and mentality that you want if you want to compete for championships

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:03 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
troy wrote:

You think Jeanie might finally spend more than $70M on a headcoach now?

Brad Stevens was signed for 6 years $22M. I don’t think overspending on a coach is what made the Celtics champions.

Because when Foston got Brad, he wasn't in such a good situation as Hurley is in rn. It's just that if you think someone is really good and you really want him, then you need to know his price and pay him. Otherwise, don't bother bringing him out here interviewing him only to get rejected.

Yes, to get Hurley that’s true, you need to offer significantly more than Kentucky did. But I don’t think Boston won due to a willingness to spend big. As a matter of fact, Brad Stevens made less than many of the Lakers head coaches. Luke Walton made more than Brad Stevens.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Tatum gets the ink, JB puts in the work.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Steph never won finals MVP. He’s still a 4 time champion.
WorthyNum1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:06 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Quote tree getting toolong. You can refer to it if need be.

WorthyNum1 wrote:
Quote:
I sure did. I gave you the reason not to blame anyone (1. not as painful, 2. would have lost in the AD trade anyway). Your question doesn't warrant just a name or a "no one to blame" answer.

A reason or two behind it is just as good, if not better.

OK. You blamed Magic for not drafting Tatum. You blame no one for JB and BI. A simple I blame no one would have sufficed.

Well, are you dictating how I should answer a question? I like to answer with a reason or two, whether you like it or not.

Last edited by WorthyNum1 on Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stingray73Vette
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:07 pm    Post subject:

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! The team people are talking up have won 2 titles in 38 years. Rob/Jeanine (who have serious faults and who I would like to be replaced) have won 1/2 as many championships in the last four years....

Just texted my friend(huge Celtics fan) congratulations to a team that has won 2 titles in 38 years; a true juggernaut. Some sour grapes to be sure but in mine and his lifetime it's like 8-2. I'm content with the modern era of 6 Laker championships to 2 Foston ones

Last edited by Stingray73Vette on Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:07 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Brawn13 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
troy wrote:

Front running losers.

Yea the issue is the Lakers were the better team in the rematch in every single one of those matchups. They should have never lost the 1984 one to begin with. In 2023 and 2024, Denver was the better team. Kobe lost to the Suns in back to back years. Is he a "frontrunner" too or how about just lost to the clearly better team in back to back years.

Spot on. You can’t be a front-runner when you’re not even the favorite to win the series.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Imagine if Boston traded Jayson for Anthony Davis. That would have ended their little dynasty before it ever started .
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

lol

At least three different times now I've started to reply to a thread and then realized NOPE! not worth it!

Time for a lil breaky-break to reset the mental.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

CamReddish wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
CamReddish wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Probably should have been Co MVPs. Tatum was better last 2 games and was a better playmaker

That's fair IMO. I would have given it to Tatum based on the double teams he commanded. Mavs game planned to stop him (and they succeeded to some extent).

That being said, they might be the most balanced championship team I've seen since the 03-04 Pistons.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 419, 420, 421, 422, 423, 424  Next
Page 420 of 424
Jump to: