RUN IT BACK!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 1:53 pm    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Why does it have to be DLO for a Pg? How about use Dlo as bait to upgrade period. Bron is our pg. hypothetically- dlow for miles bridges.

Why would they want Dlo for Miles B I if Dlo is not it? Miles B is an up and coming player. Why would they do that?

Also have you been watching or paying attention? Ever since BRON has been here we have been bending over backwards to get him a PG because HE DOESNT WANT TO PLAY PG FULL TIME. It’s why the entire RW thing happened. And DS the year before.

The alternative ideas are lacking. All I see is complaining without having any real idea on what to do. No reason to go back and forth.

Who says he doesn’t want to play pg? He doesn’t give up the ball. Especially late in games when his decisions are backbreaking.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 1:55 pm    Post subject:

I just put this in another topic:

Denver's 2 guys behind their 2 stars were MUCH better. THEY actually had a big 3.

MPJ put 23 PPG and 8 REB on 55/49/77.

Aaron Gordon 14 PPG and 10 REB on 53/10/86 and plays really good defense. He matched what one of AR/DLo did, but with defense, more efficiency, AND rebounding.

That was the difference in that series.

DLo and AR shouldn't be the 3rd, maybe even 4th most important players on the team. If they're still on the team while the Lakers get those player(s), fine.

But, it's highly unlikely that BOTH of them will be on the team while the Lakers get those player(s).
Itsowheeze
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:

Denver's 2 guys behind their 2 stars were MUCH better. THEY actually had a big 3.

Aaron Gordon 14 PPG and 10 REB on 53/10/86 and plays really good defense. He matched what one of AR/DLo did, but with defense, more efficiency, AND rebounding.

DLo and AR shouldn't be the 3rd, maybe even 4th most important players on the team. If they're still on the team while the Lakers get those player(s), fine.

But, it's highly unlikely that BOTH of them will be on the team while the Lakers get those player(s).
and it also helps that Denver's best players are much bigger than ours. smh. It's not about talent it's about matching up with what they have. This series was lost due to rebounding and size not guard play smh
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Itsowheeze wrote:
Japago wrote:

and it also helps that Denver's best players are much bigger than ours. smh. It's not about talent it's about matching up with what they have. This series was lost due to rebounding and size not guard play smh

They have the best player in the world.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:

Austin as your 4th best player is probably a good sign you're a tier 1 contender. Right now he's third best, which means you need one more great two-way starter.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Lakers have no choice. A rebuild will mean playoff droughts for a couple of seasons. Also what picks do they have? They would have to trade AD to get any draft picks worth something. Lebron's value isn't very high when it comes to getting picks back because his of his age. So it means running with this core until Lebron retires and then hope some big name comes here in free agency.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:

Who defended MPJ and Aron Gordon?

Then who you looking to get for the 4th or 3rd option?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 3:24 pm    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
Japago wrote:

Rui and LeBron. Two players that constantly escape criticism.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 4:31 pm    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
Japago wrote:

I mean, they absolute can defend better.

LeBron is giving out star-level production while not defending well.

What's Dlo and AR doing while not defending well? They're not scoring efficiently either. Both were bricks from 3, DLo shot under 40% as a whole.

I don't need to say this, but guys like DLo and AR are easier to replace than LeBron.

For starters, Dejounte Murray would've been an improvement. He can actually drive to the basket and defend.

LeBron wasn't perfect.

But, you're talking about guys who didn't do the ONE thing they're asked to do, which is score at a high rate efficiently.

And while the Lakers have shown ineptitude on both at ends at separate points this season, this series has shown this team needs help on offense too.

They held the Nuggets down to a low amount of points. LeBron and AD matched their 2 stars' production. Had the Lakers more production from YOUR heroes, the Lakers would've threatened the Nuggets in this series even with MPJ going off.

It's unreasonable to suggest LeBron give star level production AND play lock down defense at this point in his career.

You guys find ANY excuse to want to keep these guys. I think you guys are the same guys who constantly suggest the Lakers bring back former Lakers too.

AD and LeBron are the stars, and need players that compliment their strengths and weaknesses. The Lakers need a 3rd option that will breakthrough against opponents on Denver's caliber and more defenders who have enough of their own offense.

DLo and AR are neither good enough 3rd options, nor are they even the perfect complimentary role players.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
Japago wrote:

What's Dlo and AR doing while not defending well? They're not scoring efficiently either. Both were bricks from 3, DLo shot under 40% as a whole.

I don't need to say this, but guys like DLo and AR are easier to replace than LeBron.

For starters, Dejounte Murray would've been an improvement. He can actually drive to the basket and defend.

LeBron wasn't perfect.

But, you're talking about guys who didn't do the ONE thing they're asked to do, which is score at a high rate efficiently.

And while the Lakers have shown ineptitude on both at ends at separate points this season, this series has shown this team needs help on offense too.

They held the Nuggets down to a low amount of points. LeBron and AD matched their 2 stars' production. Had the Lakers more production from YOUR heroes, the Lakers would've threatened the Nuggets in this series even with MPJ going off.

It's unreasonable to suggest LeBron give star level production AND play lock down defense at this point in his career.

You guys find ANY excuse to want to keep these guys. I think you guys are the same guys who constantly suggest the Lakers bring back former Lakers too.

AD and LeBron are the stars, and need players that compliment their strengths and weaknesses. The Lakers need a 3rd option that will breakthrough against opponents on Denver's caliber and more defenders who have enough of their own offense.

DLo and AR are neither good enough 3rd options, nor are they even the perfect complimentary role players.

AR off the bench and as a 4th option and a proven playoff player. That’s a winning type of team..

But if you gonna use him as a primary defender to someone like Murray because the other can’t guard a lick, it’s not a winning team. That 3rd option should be at least 2 way and a triple threat . DJM fits the bill.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
Japago wrote:

LeBron wasn't perfect.

And, while people pile on our role players, asking for them to be shipped out, they oft fail to provide a legitimate pathway for the Lakers to to get this coveted 3rd star, while surrounding the 3 stars with the requisite talent to endure the regular season, and into the postseason. And, mind you, doing all this within a single offseason, while working within cap restrictions, and looming apron penalties.

You sound like you have a plan. So, it'd be cool to hear what star player you're targeting. The price paid to get that player. And, the players needed to fill out the roster, to provide adequate depth...

Last edited by sonic the laker on Wed May 01, 2024 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
windycitycane
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 5:01 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Run the team back with a better coach.

I think a better coach gets us another 5 to 10
Wins last year. Would be a game
Changer if we
Got someone the players respected and knew how to coach.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Porter makes 33 million
Gordon makes 21 million

Reaves and Russell make less than 30 combined

I wonder why they aren't as good
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 5:12 pm    Post subject:

sonic the laker wrote:
Japago wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
Japago wrote:

LeBron wasn't perfect.

And, while people pile on our role players, asking for them to be shipped out, they oft fail to provide a legitimate pathway for the Lakers to to get this coveted 3rd star, while surrounding the 3 stars with the requisite talent to endure the regular season, and into the postseason. And, mind you, doing all this within a single offseason, while working within cap restrictions, and looming apron penalties.

You sound like you have a plan. So, it's be cool to hear what star player you're targeting. The price paid to get that player. And, the players needed to fill out the roster, to provide adequate depth...

I don't even think the Lakers have a lot of depth right now. I think people are overrating how much depth the Lakers would be losing. The Lakers' depth mostly just scores. Consolidating some of those guys into 1 more consistent scorer wouldn't make the Lakers any worse on defense.

I just suggested DJM. If the price of AR + a pick was true, that's absolutely a move that needed to be made.

Myles Turner + Buddy for Westbrook and picks would've made the Lakers better than they are right now.

I would've given up a lot of assets for Kyrie, accepting having less depth.

DJM or Trae should be looked at. I think Mikal Bridges should be looked at. I have no idea what it takes to get those guys.

But, I understand the Lakers may have to give up a lot of assets for some of those guys and the Lakers would have to find depth through lesser means like vet's minimums, exceptions, picks, young players developing on the Lakers', etc.

Is your plan to have guys in their mid 20s suddenly become much better players? I don't care what kind of depth and role players are around them, relying them to be GREAT at that spot is laughable. We've seen enough limitations with them to know what they are at this point.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:
Japago wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
Japago wrote:

LeBron wasn't perfect.

You sound like you have a plan. So, it's be cool to hear what star player you're targeting. The price paid to get that player. And, the players needed to fill out the roster, to provide adequate depth...

I don't even think the Lakers have a lot of depth right now. I think people are overrating how much depth the Lakers would be losing. The Lakers' depth mostly just scores. Consolidating some of those guys into 1 more consistent scorer wouldn't make the Lakers any worse on defense.

I just suggested DJM. If the price of AR + a pick was true, that's absolutely a move that needed to be made.

Myles Turner + Buddy for Westbrook and picks would've made the Lakers better than they are right now.

DJM or Trae should be looked at. I think Mikal Bridges should be looked at. I have no idea what it takes to get those guys.

But, I understand the Lakers may have to give up a lot of assets for some of those guys and the Lakers would have to find depth through lesser means like vet's minimums, exceptions, picks, young players developing on the Lakers', etc.

Is your plan to have guys in their mid 20s suddenly become much better players? I don't care what kind of depth and role players are around them, relying them to be GREAT at that spot is laughable. We've seen enough limitations with them to know what they are at this point.

If you think the Lakers don't have a lot of depth now, then trading away what they do have for one player just exaggerates the issue.

And, no, Austin Reaves + pick was/is not going to net you DJM. Contracts don't match up. It would cost you more than just Austin. Want to add Young? WAY more...

Myles /Hield ship has sailed. Same with Kyrie. No point in rehashing these moot issue. We're looking forward. Not back.

I'm personally in favor of running the core back, and improving around the margins. This team showed that...despite being one of the most injured teams in the league, and dealing with a newbie HC who was clearly over his head...they could contend with anybody. Get a quality HC, shore up the weak areas, and hope for good health. That's what I would do.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:

What if I told you that's because of the defense being played on them? What if I also told you it's because they aren't playing with somebody that has to have the ball in their hands ALL game.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Reds622 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Of course they will pretty much run it back. Lebron and AD are still selling tickets and Pelinka gave two year deals to guys who aren’t tradable. Management needs to keep revenue coming in and another trip to the play ins will do that.

This poster thinks the Lakers aren’t trying to win and they just want to make money.

Cynical? Obviously.

Stupidity? Well, we all know the answer to that question.

Why not give an argument to the contrary. Facts show that we signed guys that no other teams wanted. Teams with seemingly better coaches.

We didn’t make the team better at the deadline when it was clear as day we needed to.

We didn’t add any players that would counter anything the nuggets do.

Results. 7th seed playin 1st round chum.

They could have done better than Vincent, Prince, Hayes? Those seem like decent pickups for what the Lakers options were at the time. Probably could have grabbed someone bigger instead of Hayes.. not sure who that would have been though.

They tried for months to try and swing a deal at the deadline and improve the team. No one was available. They tried to get Murray from Atlanta but Atlanta reportedly wanted Reaves. Would you have done that?

It’s laughable to say Pelinka just wants a play in roster. Most pundits, not saying they are always right because they obviously are not, liked what the Lakers did over the summer.

It’s always easy in hindsight to say they should have done x. Should they have given Brooklyn whatever they wanted for Irving? Maybe. Not sure they would have dealt him to LA anyways.

Pelinka has tried to improve the team without gutting the roster and trading all of their picks. He knows they really only have 1 big move to make pushing all of their chips into the middle of the table and they have to get it right. Most likely that move is coming this summer.

To say the Lakers want to be a play in team is LAUGHABLE.

Yet that’s exactly what they have been. Cutting salaries to manage luxury tax and refusing to pay market value for a head coach gets you there. I’m sure that they would prefer to do better but they had to remain within their salary structure. That is why it seems obvious that they will pretty much run it back.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 7:14 pm    Post subject:

sonic the laker wrote:
Japago wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:
Japago wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
Japago wrote:

LeBron wasn't perfect.

If you think the Lakers don't have a lot of depth now, then trading away what they do have for one player just exaggerates the issue.

And, no, Austin Reaves + pick was/is not going to net you DJM. Contracts don't match up. It would cost you more than just Austin. Want to add Young? WAY more...

Myles /Hield ship has sailed. Same with Kyrie. No point in rehashing these moot issue. We're looking forward. Not back.

I'm personally in favor of running the core back, and improving around the margins. This team showed that...despite being one of the most injured teams in the league, and dealing with a newbie HC who was clearly over his head...they could contend with anybody. Get a quality HC, shore up the weak areas, and hope for good health. That's what I would do.

Those margins were MPJ basically giving them a big 3. MPJ was worlds better than DLo and AR.

I'm saying you don't have to worry about losing too much defense going to Trae because the current guys already don't defend. Trae would be MUCH better on offense. He's lead a team to the ECF without any other stars on his team.

DeJounte is a dynamic athlete, getting to the rim and defending better than the Lakers' current guys. The rumors were that those were the main pieces the Hawks wanted. If the Lakers have to add on salary filler, whatever.

Either path is worth exploring. A big time offensive upgrade in Trae, or a modest offensive upgrade + a defensive upgrade in Dejounte.

Relying on DLo and AR to match the production of guys like MPJ is the weakness of this team. They're just not at that talent level when you get to the elites.

They're JR Smith-level of talents, not Kevin Love-level.

Based on that series, upgrading on defense is going to have a less of an impact than upgrading on offense because the Lakers already defended them well. Those point totals are low as you can reasonably go against that team.

You need someone who will actually break through in the clutch and also spell LeBron or AD when one of them has a bad game in the biggest games.

They've already had 2 chances. I don't need to see a 3rd.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Traas and DJM who couldnt even get to the ECF..no even the playoffs is going to replace what we have and cost twice as much

Can we also keep HAM too? Yep i can see not 1 or 2 or 3 but atleast 4 more Chips in the making
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 8:24 pm    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
Traas and DJM who couldnt even get to the ECF..no even the playoffs is going to replace what we have and cost twice as much

Can we also keep HAM too? Yep i can see not 1 or 2 or 3 but atleast 4 more Chips in the making

You have to assume playing next to AD would give them a better chance to advance assuming AD starts a trend of not being brittle.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:

You have to assume playing next to AD would give them a better chance to advance assuming AD starts a trend of not being brittle.

He barely survived Game 5....also Atlanta got centers and a real coach.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:

Trae made the ECF in 2021 and had playoff appearances in 22 and 23.

They didn't make it this season, but it's also the first season Trae missed more than 9 games(he missed 28).

What talent has he had around him? Dejounte didn't work out, but look at those other teams that he led to the playoffs and had 1 playoff run with.

That's very impressive, even in the east.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 1:33 am    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:
Japago wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:
Japago wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
Japago wrote:

LeBron wasn't perfect.

Those margins were MPJ basically giving them a big 3. MPJ was worlds better than DLo and AR.

I'm saying you don't have to worry about losing too much defense going to Trae because the current guys already don't defend. Trae would be MUCH better on offense. He's lead a team to the ECF without any other stars on his team.

DeJounte is a dynamic athlete, getting to the rim and defending better than the Lakers' current guys. The rumors were that those were the main pieces the Hawks wanted. If the Lakers have to add on salary filler, whatever.

Either path is worth exploring. A big time offensive upgrade in Trae, or a modest offensive upgrade + a defensive upgrade in Dejounte.

Relying on DLo and AR to match the production of guys like MPJ is the weakness of this team. They're just not at that talent level when you get to the elites.

They're JR Smith-level of talents, not Kevin Love-level.

Based on that series, upgrading on defense is going to have a less of an impact than upgrading on offense because the Lakers already defended them well. Those point totals are low as you can reasonably go against that team.

You need someone who will actually break through in the clutch and also spell LeBron or AD when one of them has a bad game in the biggest games.

They've already had 2 chances. I don't need to see a 3rd.

We'll have to agree to disagree in regards to how we see the talent level of the current core roster. I won't belabor that point further. I also disagree with your assessment of Young's defense. Young is a FAR worse defender than either AR, or DLo. And, while Murray is a better defender than DLo, his defense is around the same as AR. So, in the aggregate, you would have a defensive downgrade at your point of attack. Granted, in this hypothetical scenario, your offensive would be better.

All that said, you still have not laid out the pathway for the Lakers to realistically acquire these two players. With how much Young/Murray make, you would literally have to gut the ENTIRE team (and probably ask LeBron to take less on his next contract). IF the team was able to fit AD, LeBron, Young, and Murray all within the cap, the Lakers would have to fill out the rest of the roster on vet min contracts.

That team is a lesser version of the Clippers. One inury ANYWHERE, and we're cooked. Did we learn nothing from witnessing the Suns? And, at the least the Suns had guys like O'Neal, Nurkic, Gordon, and Allen. The Lakers would have far less as backup.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 1:57 am    Post subject:

Continuity is important.

We need to be healthy, hire a better a coach, and make incremental changes
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: