ANDRE DRUMMOND - Thanks for 21 games (signs with Philly)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 79, 80, 81  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject:

If we go conspiracy theory, if Gilbert would be reluctant to release Drummond if he knew he would join LeBron, the best thing to do is say he would join the Nets. It's a bit of a reach, but not completely beyond the pale.
HermosaJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Maybe the Lakers could trade a 2nd Round pick for him?

Oh, wait, no they can't, cause they already gave it to the Cavs to take McGee (who the Lakers also want)...lol

Their poor center play will likely be why the Lakers don't repeat...

Pelinka.........the "genius"..........lol
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
If we go conspiracy theory, if Gilbert would be reluctant to release Drummond if he knew he would join LeBron, the best thing to do is say he would join the Nets. It's a bit of a reach, but not completely beyond the pale.

There are teams that could actually use him and have the trade assets/cap space to give them even one 2nd round pick or more. Knicks come to mind. It would blow my mind if they can't find one contending team that wants him. He's a positive asset unlike someone like Blake who had a bloated contract and declining game.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject:

I'm not holding my breath.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Two headed race for buyout - Nets & Lakers.

For trades - Celtics & Knicks.

I think this doesn’t get done until deadline day.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject:

How many pages back is the Drummond firing pelinka in 2014 headline
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:

In the past few years, we seem to have a good working relationship with the Cavs. We've already done a few deals with them that were mutually beneficial. Their current GM is a big Lebron guy.
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
How many pages back is the Drummond firing pelinka in 2014 headline

This is obviously our answer, isn’t it?
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject:

So, I think Drummond gets bought out. From there I think we see what type of mentality he has about all this.

Lots of viable reasons discussed on these boards / raised why he becomes a Net, to an extent even more than so than a reason to join the Lakers. I mean, Nets even have the "we are chasing the Champs" angle as well, which tends to be more appealing than joining the Champs (knocking them off versus siding with them).

But from how I see it, obviously tainted by purple and gold eyes, but trying to be as objective as I can. If I'm Drummond, what do I want from my career? I can join the Nets for all the reasons folks have stated, but he would just be a guy on a team "stacked" with current and former all stars (whether in their prime or aged). If they win, sure he gets the ring, but he will just be a guy, unlikely to get any real credit.

But if he joins the Lakers I think he will be in an ideal situation to help him morph into and fulfill his potential. From what I can tell, assessment of his defense is up and down. Some folks even say he tends to be more engaged on D when active on offense. Etc, etc. But with a defensive minded coaching staff he is in an ideal situation to not just join a team that is contending for a championship, but fulfill a potential to part of a dominant inside defensive duo that - yea laugh at me - could arguably make "history" in the modern era.

Think about it. Last "big interior duo" worth really talking about were the Wallaces with the Pistons in the 2000's (I suppose you could also make a case with Vog's Pacers). Ever since around that time the big man is slowly being phased out. Wasnt until last year the Lakers with Dwight / Javale along with AD really made that sort of thing pop back on the radar.

I think with this coaching staff (Vog would do wonders, IMO, with a guy like Drummond; plus Drummond already just fills space, he is a massive dude), and his age (same draft class as AD), if he committed himself to going full D / Rebound, he could be a defensive anchor in the middle. This would free up AD from his multi-role of paint anchor / switcher / cover up others mistakes to freeing him up to be more disruptive.

The Lakers would then have, if they committed to that and it worked, a young, but tough interior D, allowing their wing guys to chase players off the 3 even more and funnel them into a swat-fest in the paint. Never mind the monstrous rebounding and holding teams to single shot possessions.

And Drummond could essentially part of a historically good defensive duo. He could be spoken in those terms, rather than a guy outside of his era of basketball.

At least if I was the GM, that's how I'd sell it to Drummond. Look, you can go to the Nets, sure...or become something else historic. I posted this elsewhere, but the quote from Batman Begins sort of fits here in a way - "if you become more than a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal, and they cannot stop you, you become something else entirely...legend."

Yep, I'd sell him on the idea of him and AD being a legendary defensive front court duo (as for Gasol, dude is old, I'd point out he's not gonna be around forever).

So I know there will be some small ball lineups that will cause lineup changes, and could cause Drummond to go to the bench. I get that. But if its anything like last season, that's still well over 80% of your games you will play a true center (even in the playoffs. Our bigs played heavily in 2 of the 4 series). And who knows, if its effective enough, you cause small ball issues.

Yea, I'd like a better 3 shooter as well...we aint getting one in the buyout market this year. We just gotta live with the fact our club is at best average from 3. So, in the interim...I'd go with the above.

As polly-anna-ish all of it may sound.
Al13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:33 am    Post subject:

McGee has to be traded to another team first and then bought out right ? we can not get him if he is just out of cleveland
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:03 am    Post subject:

Gilbert back then, and Gilbert after bringing back Lebron to win them a title, it is two different things IMO. The relationship between Lebron and the Cavs now is of mutual love and respect. He especially came back to his home to help them win a title, even when he had already won in Miami, and could have gone elsewhere.

As shown by the McGee move, I do not think at all the Cavs view any Lakers move as helping Lebron anymore. It is a lot different 2018-present, than it was between 2010-2014.

I even think they would deal Drummond to us, if we were interested in making a big salary for salary type of move. It is all about their own asset management, I do not think after Bron helped win them a title and left on good terms that there is anything close to the bad blood as present in 2010-2014.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
So, I think Drummond gets bought out. From there I think we see what type of mentality he has about all this.

Lots of viable reasons discussed on these boards / raised why he becomes a Net, to an extent even more than so than a reason to join the Lakers. I mean, Nets even have the "we are chasing the Champs" angle as well, which tends to be more appealing than joining the Champs (knocking them off versus siding with them).

But from how I see it, obviously tainted by purple and gold eyes, but trying to be as objective as I can. If I'm Drummond, what do I want from my career? I can join the Nets for all the reasons folks have stated, but he would just be a guy on a team "stacked" with current and former all stars (whether in their prime or aged). If they win, sure he gets the ring, but he will just be a guy, unlikely to get any real credit.

But if he joins the Lakers I think he will be in an ideal situation to help him morph into and fulfill his potential. From what I can tell, assessment of his defense is up and down. Some folks even say he tends to be more engaged on D when active on offense. Etc, etc. But with a defensive minded coaching staff he is in an ideal situation to not just join a team that is contending for a championship, but fulfill a potential to part of a dominant inside defensive duo that - yea laugh at me - could arguably make "history" in the modern era.

Think about it. Last "big interior duo" worth really talking about were the Wallaces with the Pistons in the 2000's (I suppose you could also make a case with Vog's Pacers). Ever since around that time the big man is slowly being phased out. Wasnt until last year the Lakers with Dwight / Javale along with AD really made that sort of thing pop back on the radar.

I think with this coaching staff (Vog would do wonders, IMO, with a guy like Drummond; plus Drummond already just fills space, he is a massive dude), and his age (same draft class as AD), if he committed himself to going full D / Rebound, he could be a defensive anchor in the middle. This would free up AD from his multi-role of paint anchor / switcher / cover up others mistakes to freeing him up to be more disruptive.

The Lakers would then have, if they committed to that and it worked, a young, but tough interior D, allowing their wing guys to chase players off the 3 even more and funnel them into a swat-fest in the paint. Never mind the monstrous rebounding and holding teams to single shot possessions.

And Drummond could essentially part of a historically good defensive duo. He could be spoken in those terms, rather than a guy outside of his era of basketball.

At least if I was the GM, that's how I'd sell it to Drummond. Look, you can go to the Nets, sure...or become something else historic. I posted this elsewhere, but the quote from Batman Begins sort of fits here in a way - "if you become more than a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal, and they cannot stop you, you become something else entirely...legend."

Yep, I'd sell him on the idea of him and AD being a legendary defensive front court duo (as for Gasol, dude is old, I'd point out he's not gonna be around forever).

So I know there will be some small ball lineups that will cause lineup changes, and could cause Drummond to go to the bench. I get that. But if its anything like last season, that's still well over 80% of your games you will play a true center (even in the playoffs. Our bigs played heavily in 2 of the 4 series). And who knows, if its effective enough, you cause small ball issues.

Yea, I'd like a better 3 shooter as well...we aint getting one in the buyout market this year. We just gotta live with the fact our club is at best average from 3. So, in the interim...I'd go with the above.

Spot on!!! I think exactly the same. Drummond to the Lakers would be ideal for him. I think this regarding Whiteside also, in case Drummond doesn’t happen.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject:

Bynum-Pau
Adam’s-Ibaka
Perkins-Ibaka
Perkins-KG
Not new but all need a nimble stretch capable 4
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject:

Would love to get Drummond if he’s bought out, but I feel he would be more Nets bound then Lakers.

Isn’t his agent the same as a couple of players on the Nets already? Nets can also over more than the Vet min thanks to Spencer Dimwiddle’s injury clause. And of course, Drummond fired Pelinka in the past. Lastly, Drummond is from New York. Dude is an east coast guy.

Don’t see how the sighs point to us at all honestly if he were bought out.
- sign and trade DLO to not lose value
- sign a coach that’s not an idiot

Call it an offseason
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:

He also needs to be reminded that MDA practically invented the floor-spacing small-ball center with Nash as his PG. With Griffin, Green, and even KD and Brown on board, does Drummond want to split the remaining 10-15 center minutes with KD and Kyrie's BFF Jordan?
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Bynum-Pau
Adam’s-Ibaka
Perkins-Ibaka
Perkins-KG
Not new but all need a nimble stretch capable 4

Oh no doubt we can locate teams over past ten years with a “big” tandem in the front court, eg bully ball with M Gasol -Randolph, etc...i was talking more in terms of discussion of the team being centered around them on the defensive end. Well, at least as far as my perception on that goes. But yea, the list you provided had some very good teams with two bigs in the front court (albeit i didnt think okc perk was the same as boston perk).
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject:

If the Celtics are willing to absorb Drummond by using the TPE then its game over. we have to hope nothing materializes on the trade front, cause we have no chance to get him via trade but at least we have some sort of chance to get him via buy out.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject:

How much more help does KD need?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Thought he learned from his GSW experience. Apparently not.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You have to remember you are going against Lebron and Davis. The playing field was more level last year and Lebron and Davis and the Lakers plowed through the playoffs, no one got close if you think about it

Even with the stacked team they got this year doesn’t mean they can beat Lebron if he goes in playoff mode. And Playoff AD we haven’t seen much, but we saw last year when he is on he’s dangerous. I think he shot 48 percent from 3 in the playoffs?

I think he knows not to underestimate Lebron despite the lackluster play of the season thus far. Remember prior to the playoffs the Lakers played crappy in the bubble. And if the Lakers add another key players it’s going to be harder.

Last edited by lar9149 on Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
I'm not holding my breath.

Unfortunately that's where I'm at as well.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I'm more intrigued by the fact that nobody wants to play with Lebron (besides AD) and everybody throws themselves to play with Durant.

Hell, Kyrie Irving demanded to be away from Lebron. I wonder what goes on in team locker rooms with Lebron involved?
- sign and trade DLO to not lose value
- sign a coach that’s not an idiot

Call it an offseason
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You have to remember you are going against Lebron and Davis. The playing field was more level last year and Lebron and Davis and the Lakers plowed through the playoffs, no one got close if you think about it

Even with the stacked team they got this year doesn’t mean they can beat Lebron if he goes in playoff mode. And Playoff AD we haven’t seen much, but we saw last year when he is on he’s dangerous. I think he shot 48 percent from 3 in the playoffs?

I think he knows not to underestimate Lebron despite the lackluster play of the season thus far. Remember prior to the playoffs the Lakers played crappy in the bubble. And if the Lakers add another key players it’s going to be harder.

For sure, if this LBJ team beats the Nets it’s pretty similar to 2016. Actually it might be more impressive since the 3 stars are arguably top 5 offensive players in the game.

The Lakers will have to rely on the elite defense they have flashed a few minutes per game so far this season. Looks pretty suffocating.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I'm more intrigued by the fact that nobody wants to play with Lebron (besides AD) and everybody throws themselves to play with Durant.

Hell, Kyrie Irving demanded to be away from Lebron. I wonder what goes on in team locker rooms with Lebron involved?

Irving is an odd guy. Maybe he didn’t like being overshadowed by Lebron. Maybe he is just the kind of guy who switches teams a lot. Maybe he thought Cleveland was too close to the edge of the earth and might fall off. Who knows?

As for Lebron, there have been a lot of guys who were happy to play with him. Some of the stars didn’t choose to join him (George, Kawhi, etc.). But remember that the same was true for Kobe. I wouldn’t read too much into it.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Megaton wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Irving is an odd guy. Maybe he didn’t like being overshadowed by Lebron. Maybe he is just the kind of guy who switches teams a lot. Maybe he thought Cleveland was too close to the edge of the earth and might fall off. Who knows?

As for Lebron, there have been a lot of guys who were happy to play with him. Some of the stars didn’t choose to join him (George, Kawhi, etc.). But remember that the same was true for Kobe. I wouldn’t read too much into it.

When you come to play with Bird, Lebron, Kobe and Jordan, etc., they weren’t going to let you loaf it. That is why folks say “no one wants to play with them” - it’s the weak pu**y players that say that.
With that said, Bird, Lebron, Kobe and Jordan are better than Durant will ever be, so go join the super friends and gravy train...just like he did when he went to Golden State. If you can’t beat them, join them. I like Durant but I feel like punching the people that say “no one wants to play with Lebron, BS”
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 79, 80, 81  Next
Page 5 of 81
Jump to: