View previous topic :: View next topic  
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Next time you dine, ask your sommelier for a bottle of Cisco:

Quote:
Cisco is bottled by the nation's second largest wine company, Canandaigua Wine Co., in Canandaigua, NY and Naples, NY - the same company as Wild Irish Rose.

Known as "liquid crack," for its reputation for wreaking more mental havoc than the cheapest tequila. Something in this syrupy hooch seems to have a synapse-blasting effect not unlike low-grade cocaine. The label insists that the ingredients are merely "citrus wine & grape wine with artificial flavor & artificial color," but anyone who has tried it knows better. Tales of Cisco-induced semi-psychotic fits are common. Often, people on a Cisco binge end up curled into a fetal ball, shuddering and muttering paranoid rants. Nudity and violence may well be involved too. Everyone who drinks this feels great at first, and claims, "It's not bad at all, I like it." But, you really do not want to mess around with this one, because they all sing a different tune a few minutes later. And by tune, I mean the psychotic ramblings of a raging naked bum.

http://www.bumwine.com/cisco.html

A test subject reports, "Strawberry Cisco has a bouquet similar to that of Frankenberry cereal fermented in wine cooler with added sprinkle of brandy for presentation." The sticky, sickingly sweet taste with a hint of antifreeze really comes through in the repellant taste of Cisco. Avaliable in various flavors, 375 mL and 750mL sizes. Down a whole 750 mL and you had better be ready to clear your calendar as you suffer through Cisco's legendary 2 day hangover.

a bouquet similar to that of Frankenberry cereal.... outstanding.
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject:

Try a Shiraz - most are great values, and goes with most anything. You can get a fantastic shiraz for under 15 - and it will be as good as a 40-50 cabernet. You can buy the rosemont shiraz for under 10 bucks a bottle most places - and it drinks like a much more expensive wine.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject:

unggoy wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Next time you dine, ask your sommelier for a bottle of Cisco:

Quote:
Cisco is bottled by the nation's second largest wine company, Canandaigua Wine Co., in Canandaigua, NY and Naples, NY - the same company as Wild Irish Rose.

Known as "liquid crack," for its reputation for wreaking more mental havoc than the cheapest tequila. Something in this syrupy hooch seems to have a synapse-blasting effect not unlike low-grade cocaine. The label insists that the ingredients are merely "citrus wine & grape wine with artificial flavor & artificial color," but anyone who has tried it knows better. Tales of Cisco-induced semi-psychotic fits are common. Often, people on a Cisco binge end up curled into a fetal ball, shuddering and muttering paranoid rants. Nudity and violence may well be involved too. Everyone who drinks this feels great at first, and claims, "It's not bad at all, I like it." But, you really do not want to mess around with this one, because they all sing a different tune a few minutes later. And by tune, I mean the psychotic ramblings of a raging naked bum.

http://www.bumwine.com/cisco.html

A test subject reports, "Strawberry Cisco has a bouquet similar to that of Frankenberry cereal fermented in wine cooler with added sprinkle of brandy for presentation." The sticky, sickingly sweet taste with a hint of antifreeze really comes through in the repellant taste of Cisco. Avaliable in various flavors, 375 mL and 750mL sizes. Down a whole 750 mL and you had better be ready to clear your calendar as you suffer through Cisco's legendary 2 day hangover.

a bouquet similar to that of Frankenberry cereal.... outstanding.

Frankenberry is great but I always preferred Boo-Berry.

Now THAT would be a fantastic wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject:

msb212 wrote:
Try a Shiraz - most are great values, and goes with most anything. You can get a fantastic shiraz for under 15 - and it will be as good as a 40-50 cabernet. You can buy the rosemont shiraz for under 10 bucks a bottle most places - and it drinks like a much more expensive wine.

Exactly what I said earlier. Australian Shiraz is the best bang for the buck.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject:

Another fine wine for budget-minded connoisseurs:

Quote:
...Self-proclaimed as "The American Classic," Thuderbird is Vinted and bottled by E&J Gallo Winery, in in Modesto, CA. Disguised like Night Train, the label says that it is made by "Thunderbird, Ltd." If your taste buds are shot, and you need to get trashed with a quickness, then "T-bird" is the drink for you.... Avaliable in 750 mL and a devastating 50 oz jug.

The history of Thunderbird is as interesting as the drunken effects the one experiences from the wine. When Prohibition ended, Ernest Gallo and his brothers Julio and Joe wanted to corner the young wine market. Earnest wanted the company to become "the Campbell Soup company of the wine industry" so he started selling Thunderbird in the ghettos around the country. Their radio adds featured a song that sang, "What's the word? / Thunderbird / How's it sold? / Good and cold / What's the jive? / Bird's alive / What's the price? / Thirty twice." It is said that Ernest once drove through a tough, inner city neighborhood and pulled over when he saw a bum. When Gallo rolled down his window and called out, "What's the word?" the immediate answer from the bum was, "Thunderbird."

WARNING: This light yellow liquid turns your lips and mouth black! A mysterious chemical reaction similar to disappearing-reappearing ink makes you look like you've been chewing on hearty clumps of charcoal.

http://www.bumwine.com/tbird.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject:

How can we not consider the classic Boone's Farm?
ShadyG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject:

The generous yields from California and Australia these past years has depressed the price for Bordeaux. I've never been a huge fan of the more tannic stuff, nor have I had the cash to get older, mellower bottles, so I've come to prefer St. Emilion and Pomerol, in that order. If you've got >$25 to spend, you can get a quality, balanced wine that will match any kind of red meat or rich sauce.

I've also been cooking a lot of spicy foods lately, and a viognier from Sonoma works quite well for these meals. To lighten up the flavor with mild sauces, I've been getting Pinot Grigio. No preferred brand.

Mostly though, just the past couple months we've been working our way through beers from Stone Brewery in North San Diego county. Pale Ale for everyday drinking, and anything from Arrogant Bastard and Ruination to the seasonal Imperial Russian Stout for special occasions. The Imperial debuted on 4/2, and I can still find it in my local Whole Foods.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SenorJefe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:

If you are in the Temecula area, South Coast Winery Resort & Spa

My friends who are wine freaks love the place.

Disclaimer: My uncle built, owns and runs the place.

^I love that place, lakersfreak. I've been to several wine tastings there. Beautiful property w/ yummy beverages.
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject:

msb212 wrote:
I'd recommend Yellow Tail Shiraz, Austrailian, I believe and under $15 a bottle. And it is very nice.

A couple of reviews...
Quote:
First, Yellow Tail Shiraz is a big fruity wine with subtle spiciness. It’s not as spicy as I remember it four years ago. The 2005 edition is much more fruit with blackberry, cherry and other red fruit flavours. The alcohol is 13.5% which is pushing the higher side of wines, but it is well balanced with the acid and sweetness. It is also pleasantly dry considering the bounty of fruitiness.

Basically, this wine is best served with friends in an unpretentious atmosphere. Yellow Tail is currently the best selling wine imported in the US and there is a reason. It’s a casually enjoyable wine. Don’t order it at a fine dining restaurant, otherwise the sommelier might laugh and snort at you. Do order it at a casual restaurant or road house style establishment. Definitely bring it to a barbecue where you are unsure of peoples wine preferences. And finally, don’t try to quench a hard earned thirst with it, stick with beer.
Quote:
Very dark purple, almost black in the glass, this inexpensive, approachable wine has the look of an Australian Shiraz, but its varietal and regional character is more muted on the nose and palate. Almost no scent is apparent at first, but swirling in the glass brings up hints of brown sugar and distant, plummy fruit. Fruit is much more apparent in the flavor, which is juicy, grapey and somewhat sweet. It's very easy drinking, smooth and mellow, with no real flaws in its simple expression of black fruit, which may help explain its popularity as a casual "glass of red." But for those more serious wine lovers seeking even a slight intellectual challenge in their wine, this may fall short. US Importer: W. J. Deutsch & Sons Ltd., Harrison, N.Y. (Oct 30, 2002)

FOOD MATCH: Quaffs well with chicken (or just about any other food), but adds little to the match.

WEB LINK: http://www.yellowtailwine.com/shiraz.html
Quote:
"Impressive spice, licorice and red berry aromas. This wine is perfectly balanced with silky tannins, accompanied by big, ripe fruit flavors." -Winemaker

re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject:

ShadyG wrote:
The generous yields from California and Australia these past years has depressed the price for Bordeaux. I've never been a huge fan of the more tannic stuff, nor have I had the cash to get older, mellower bottles, so I've come to prefer St. Emilion and Pomerol, in that order. If you've got >$25 to spend, you can get a quality, balanced wine that will match any kind of red meat or rich sauce.

I've also been cooking a lot of spicy foods lately, and a viognier from Sonoma works quite well for these meals. To lighten up the flavor with mild sauces, I've been getting Pinot Grigio. No preferred brand.

Mostly though, just the past couple months we've been working our way through beers from Stone Brewery in North San Diego county. Pale Ale for everyday drinking, and anything from Arrogant Bastard and Ruination to the seasonal Imperial Russian Stout for special occasions. The Imperial debuted on 4/2, and I can still find it in my local Whole Foods.
I spoiled myself several years ago and got a Gran Cru Classe French Bordeaux, Ithink it was between $70-$80, haven't been able ot enjoy any other Bordeaux since. Did the same thing with Scotch, got into this nice $85 single malt Islay 15-16 year old vintage, makes Chivas taste like rotgut!
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject:

re4ee wrote:
msb212 wrote:
I'd recommend Yellow Tail Shiraz, Austrailian, I believe and under $15 a bottle. And it is very nice.

A couple of reviews...
Quote:
First, Yellow Tail Shiraz is a big fruity wine with subtle spiciness. It’s not as spicy as I remember it four years ago. The 2005 edition is much more fruit with blackberry, cherry and other red fruit flavours. The alcohol is 13.5% which is pushing the higher side of wines, but it is well balanced with the acid and sweetness. It is also pleasantly dry considering the bounty of fruitiness.

Basically, this wine is best served with friends in an unpretentious atmosphere. Yellow Tail is currently the best selling wine imported in the US and there is a reason. It’s a casually enjoyable wine. Don’t order it at a fine dining restaurant, otherwise the sommelier might laugh and snort at you. Do order it at a casual restaurant or road house style establishment. Definitely bring it to a barbecue where you are unsure of peoples wine preferences. And finally, don’t try to quench a hard earned thirst with it, stick with beer.
Quote:
Very dark purple, almost black in the glass, this inexpensive, approachable wine has the look of an Australian Shiraz, but its varietal and regional character is more muted on the nose and palate. Almost no scent is apparent at first, but swirling in the glass brings up hints of brown sugar and distant, plummy fruit. Fruit is much more apparent in the flavor, which is juicy, grapey and somewhat sweet. It's very easy drinking, smooth and mellow, with no real flaws in its simple expression of black fruit, which may help explain its popularity as a casual "glass of red." But for those more serious wine lovers seeking even a slight intellectual challenge in their wine, this may fall short. US Importer: W. J. Deutsch & Sons Ltd., Harrison, N.Y. (Oct 30, 2002)

FOOD MATCH: Quaffs well with chicken (or just about any other food), but adds little to the match.

Quote:
"Impressive spice, licorice and red berry aromas. This wine is perfectly balanced with silky tannins, accompanied by big, ripe fruit flavors." -Winemaker

Shiraz is awesome with Mexican food too.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject:

SenorJefe wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

If you are in the Temecula area, South Coast Winery Resort & Spa

My friends who are wine freaks love the place.

Disclaimer: My uncle built, owns and runs the place.

^I love that place, lakersfreak. I've been to several wine tastings there. Beautiful property w/ yummy beverages.

Glad you like it.

My uncle originally bought some property up the mountains near Vail Lake to build an RV camp site / resort back in the '80's.

Building an infrastructure and getting the road RV worthy nixed that idea.

Then he got the wine bug, got the vineyard going, then built the winery / resort.

Aerial Image of Vineyard near Vail Lake

Here are some pics I took 2 years ago at the vineyard.

Vineyard pics
EJ8VTEC
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject:

re4ee wrote:
msb212 wrote:

A couple of reviews...
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

yellow tail used to be good, but sometimes u get a crappy bottle now, once in a while. I heard its b/c they do so much business now theycant concentrate on making the wine like they once could.
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Really? I haven't experienced that, but, I don't drink wine all that often. I just got so sick of everbody always having <bleep>ing Merlot, talk about generic.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject:

I seriously want to try this wine:

Fat Bastard Chardonnay
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: