Best Defender available for the Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Booby
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Flight#24 wrote:
I hope Cory Brewer absolutely sucks and makes Florida lose today. His value decreases, but our chances of getting him increases!

So much for that.

Brewer=MOP
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject:

all this talk and watch mitch draft fazekas
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject:

It will be interesting to see if some of the Florida players will come out, or shoot for a 3-peat. And it will be interesting to see if Oden calls it a career, or decides to stay in school. The deadline to declare this year will be a fun day.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Defender available for the Lakers

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
We need defensive help and nearly all positions IMHO. The Lakers will likely have a first round pick between 15 & 20.

Who do you think is the best overall impact defender that we could land regardless of position?

Then if you feel like it, who do you think is the best defensive guard available to us, and the best defensive forward or center.

I think that Corey Brewer is the best impact defender that we could hope for, but likely he will be gone before we pick.

Jeff Green has a lot of tools, not a great defender now, but he could be.

Hansbrough is a tough as nails post defender, but again he lacks that athleticism to be an elite defender IMO.

Thornton has the athleticism but he is not good at the defensive fundamentals- he bites for nearly every shot fake. He could be a fantastic defender though due to his nasty hops and speed.

I really like Marcus Williams- who is a very crafty defender, good lateral quickness and a huge wingspan for a guard.

Please feel free to comment and add players- I would really like to know who is the best defender out there who could come in and help the Lakers stop the bleeding. We need help- we can score PLENTY, but we have problems stopping people, even when the team is fully healthy.

The Good Dr. Funkbot laying it down again.

I agree, should have reviewed this thread before posting my "Corey Brewer" post.

Marcus Williams is an interesting player....I can't figure this year's U of A team out, they have great individual players (I am a huge Chase Budinger guy) but none defended well. Can Marcus defend? I don't know, but he can definitely score.

Corey Brewer could bring so much to the Lakers it is scary. I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility to trade up to say 10 or so and get him. I am tired of the Lakers current front office "can't do" philosophy.

Make a hard decision or two, but I don't see why a resigned Luke Walton couldn't be dangled with some other change (i.e. Brian Cook/Sasha/Shammond/whoever) to get up a few spots in the draft and pick this guy up.

He could be the Pippen to Kobe's Jordan, I really think he brings exactly the qualities the current team is completely lacking.

Lakers need to get two way players and get out of this triangle-centric, thinking man's type of player they seem to love these days. We need guys who can score more than the guys they guard, it isn't rocket science.
SHAQ/KOBE=#1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Defender available for the Lakers

LakerLanny wrote:

He could be the Pippen to Kobe's Jordan, I really think he brings exactly the qualities the current team is completely lacking.

Except that he is a poor ball-handler, won't be able to create his own shot at the next level, and can't defend or play the 1-4 spots like Pippen. He is going to be closer to James Posey.

Quote:
Lakers need to get two way players and get out of this triangle-centric, thinking man's type of player they seem to love these days. We need guys who can score more than the guys they guard, it isn't rocket science.

He is not going to be a big scorer at the next level.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Except that he is a poor ball-handler, won't be able to create his own shot at the next level, and can't defend or play the 1-4 spots like Pippen. He is going to be closer to James Posey.

As if Pippen was that great a ball-handler early in his career.

I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. He's not Devean George or Brandon Rush out there. He has a good A/TO ratio.

And, it's not like Pippen could defend PFs anyway.

Posey never had that kind of shooting touch, defensive IQ, and passing ability coming out Xavier University as a JuCo transfer.

Long arms not the lateral movement. Raw offensively.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
SHAQ/KOBE=#1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

As if Pippen was that great a ball-handler early in his career.

Pippen grew up playing point guard. Even played it in college until he grew. He was definitely better than Brewer.

Quote:
I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. He's not Devean George or Brandon Rush out there. He has a good A/TO ratio.

He's not as bad as George, but DG is one of the worst ball-handlers at his position. So that's not saying much. And a/to ratio doesn't always indicate great ball-handling as much as decision making. I don't really have a problem with his decision making, but I don't think he will be able to create off the dribble at the next level.

Quote:
And, it's not like Pippen could defend PFs anyway.

Tim Duncan type forwards? No. But guys like Rahim? (in ATL days) Absolutely. I wouldn't want Brewer defending him.

Quote:
Posey never had that kind of touch, defensive IQ, and passing ability coming out Xavier University as a JuCo transfer.

Brewer probably will be better than Posey right off the bat. I think he will be a good player. Posey in Memphis was a nice player. But Pippen? Not a chance.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Even Devean George played PG from HS through college until he grew to 6'8".

If the Lakers ever end up placing Brewer on Abdur Rahim, this team has more problems than originally thought.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject:

i'd say that at this point in their careers, brewer looks at least as promissing as pippen did.
that doesn't guarentee anything, but there's no reason to think he doesn't have amazing pottential.
his defensive ability and already solid offense make him almost a sure thing for me to be very successfull at the nba level.
if it were up to me - there is no way he would drop lower than 10 - maybe even higher.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject:

I'll admit that Brewer is hyped up coming into the draft. I don't think Pip was as hyped and let's face it, no one knew Pip was gonna be as good as he is. I think MJ really influenced his development in that regard. I am guessing that Kobe would do the same for Brewer. Remember, the Bulls didn't win jack squat until Pip "arrived" as a player despite MJ's heroics. The Lakers could really use the many different intangibles that Brewer could bring.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject:

I haven't seen him play, but they say that Nicholas Batum looks like he could be a very solid defender. He's likely out of our draft range, but interesting nonetheless.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject:

you know Noah seems like he's slipping a bit with some of the hype around other players. He was once pegged as 3-5, but now it wouldn't be a shock to see him fall to 10 or 11. If they could trade up 7 or 8 slots he'd be an interesting addition. He's more of an off the ball swatter that can board, and wouldn't fill your offensive needs but would be a nice defender. Say they pull some sort of deal with Chicago and a pick swap is part of it, that could make for an interesting addition.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject:

i think noah would actually be a good fit to our system.

probably mostly an insurance guy his first year, but later on - has great tri pottential.

thing is, drafting him only makes sense if we trade one of our bigs - or start turiaf and move odom back to sf.

with a pf/c rotation of:

odom/cook/turiaf
kwame/bynum/turiaf

trading up for a pf/c like noah without moving one of the guys makes little sense.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: