Lakers may be able to get a talented young running mate/swingman in this year's draft?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iceberg01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Lakers may be able to get a talented young running mate/swingman in this year's draft?

I know the Lakers don't have a snowball's chance in hell at getting ANY of the bigs that are going to go in this year's draft. And even if Oden and Brendan Wright DON'T declare (which I don't think they will), the sheer depth of the big men (including Yi Jianlian, Noah, Horford, Splitter, etc.) will drive a lot of the swingmen down.

Assuming that Corey Brewer (a Tayshawn Prince clone, IMO) won't be available, there's still 2-3 guys who IMO, would be good fits for the Lakers:

1. Nick Young: Ricky-Davis caliber player with a little more smarts, passing, and ball-handling. Handles a lof of the Trojans' playmaking and ball-handling responsibilities, is long, finishes well, and has improved decision-making and shot selection. Not to mention that fadeaway.

2. Marcus Williams: Haven't seen him play this year, but from what I remember, he's smooth, has a nice jumper for a young guy, and can handle. May even stretch out to 6'8" as he's only a sophomore. May be a nice 2/3 guy in the future.

I like Mo Evans. But either one of these young guys could have starter/6th man of the year potential, as I certainly see both of them as having 14ppg+ potential, not to mention good all-around numbers. Additionally, they'd boost the overall athleticism of the team, as IMO, they're both athletic upgrades over Sasha, and may eventually be skill upgrades from Mo Evans. Any thoughts?
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject:

I like Brandon Rush.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject:

Marcus Williams is talented, and I hope he's available on draft night... that being said, I have reservations. He can be a good defender when he's willing, but like the rest of that Arizona team, he isn't willing. Another arresting trait is that the Arizona team didn't do a good job of sharing the ball. That doesn't mean he is selfish, because that could be more of a team dyanmic than individual trait. Last, he can disappear for stretches.

I'm mostly worried about his motor. This Laker team is a bit too laid-back, particularly on defense. They need a combo guard who takes pride in his D, and has infectous intensity. That's the ideal.
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject:

I like Rush too. I also like Dominic McGuire with the Bobcat's pick. Athletic swingman with the upside to develop into a true lockdown defender. If he works on his jumpshot he could be a great 2 way player.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: