Nate McMillan fired

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Nate McMillan fired

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/trae-young-nate-mcmillan-hawks-stayed-home-nuggets-disagreement-injury/

Quote:
Report: Trae Young Did Not Attend Hawks-Nuggets After A Back-And-Forth With Nate McMillan

The Atlanta Hawks have gotten off to a solid, yet unspectacular start to the 2022-23 season, sitting at 13-10 through a quarter of the season, good for fourth in the East currently, but with just a game separating Atlanta and Toronto for the 8th seed.

Given the all-in move made to trade three first-round picks for Dejounte Murray, Atlanta has high hopes for this squad, but there seems to be a gap between them and the very top contenders in the East that still exists. The Hawks have struggled with shooting so far this year, and while Bogdan Bogdanovic getting back healthy is a considerable help, the expectation is that more moves are on the horizon. There is also some lingering tension between Trae Young and head coach Nate McMillan that isn’t necessarily helping the vibes around the Hawks so far, with a report on Sunday indicating a disagreement between the two on Friday led to the All-Star guard not attending Atlanta’s win over the Nuggets.

According to Shams Charania and Sam Amick of The Athletic, Young and McMillan had a tense exchange prior to shootaround as Young got treatment on his shoulder.

While Young was receiving treatment on his right shoulder, sources say McMillan asked him whether he would participate in shootaround, receive treatment during walk-through and play in the game against the Nuggets. But Young made it clear that he wanted to focus solely on his treatment while missing shootaround and deciding later in the day whether he would play.

That approach, however, was not McMillan approved. Since the face of the Hawks’ franchise was deciding not to take part in shootaround, McMillan ultimately presented him with two options for that night’s game, sources said: Play off the bench — or do not show up to the arena. Young responded by saying he would not be playing against the Nuggets, and the team ruled him out while citing right shoulder soreness.

That is, per the report, not the first time the two have butted heads, and Amick and Charania note the Hawks have had “multiple” team meetings this season to resolve various disputes that have arisen in the locker room overall. It’s certainly not an ideal situation for a team with lofty aspirations to be dealing with internal turmoil, particularly considering how the last time tensions between Young and a coach ended in the firing of Lloyd Pierce.

While the report indicates McMillan is not on the hot seat in Atlanta, it will be worth monitoring how the Hawks’ season progresses and how Young and the rest of the team respond to McMillan. With John Collins back on the trade block (but also on the shelf with an ankle injury), it doesn’t seem like things are simply going to go away in terms of off-court distractions any time soon, and Atlanta’s going to have to navigate that until a deal materializes to alter this roster.

Last edited by Basketball Fan on Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:15 am    Post subject:

Atlanta is crazy for hiring McMillan, why does the NBA keep recycling bad coaches.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Atlanta is crazy for hiring McMillan, why does the NBA keep recycling bad coaches.

Is Nate really a bad coach though? I don't watch enough Indiana or Atlanta basketball to know.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Is Nate really a bad coach though? I don't watch enough Indiana or Atlanta basketball to know.

As a Pacers fan yes I can tell you he's a bad coach.

That being said Trae seems immature and is gaining rep as a coach killer so both things can be true.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
lakez34 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

That being said Trae seems immature and is gaining rep as a coach killer so both things can be true.

Interesting. Player rotations, player relations, coaching strategy, or all of the above?

His win percentage puts him at the middle of current NBA coaches, but that isn't saying much. So I guess it makes sense. I just never realized he was such a bad coach, always thought he seemed solid when I watch games against teams he coaches.

Trae definitely seems like he could do some growing up, but as a coach, never great to be out of touch and disconnected from your superstar.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:34 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't call Nate a bad coach, given his success.

Trae was acting like a brat though.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
lakez34 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Interesting. Player rotations, player relations, coaching strategy, or all of the above?

His win percentage puts him at the middle of current NBA coaches, but that isn't saying much. So I guess it makes sense. I just never realized he was such a bad coach, always thought he seemed solid when I watch games against teams he coaches.

Trae definitely seems like he could do some growing up, but as a coach, never great to be out of touch and disconnected from your superstar.

Everything except Player Relations I don't recall him having any issues with players on the Pacers but he's just not that great a coach if you want to win a championship. If you are fine with mediocrity he's your man otherwise he's rather unimpressive. He's about the same as Doc Rivers if he didn't luck into the Celtics.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Thanks! I would've never guessed it. I honestly thought he just had some mediocre teams and he made them better, but obviously not.

Curious what happens next with these two.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Per Shams Nate is considering resigning
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:25 pm    Post subject:

https://www.nba.com/news/atlanta-hawks-dismiss-coach-nate-mcmillan

Quote:
Hawks fire coach Nate McMillan
The veteran coach posted a 99-80 record in Atlanta before being dismissed.

Nate McMillan posted a record of 99-80 over two-plus seasons with Atlanta.

The Atlanta Hawks have fired coach Nate McMillan, the team announced on Tuesday.

McMillan joined Atlanta as an assistant coach on Lloyd Pierce’s staff prior to the 2020-21 season. He was promoted to head coach midseason and posted a record of 99-80 over the next two-plus seasons.

McMillan is one of the most experienced head coaches in NBA history, ranking 17th with 1,428 games coached across stints with Atlanta, Seattle, Portland and Indiana.

ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski was the first to report the move.

The Hawks (29-30) are currently 8th in the Eastern Conference standings. According to Wojnarowski, the Hawks have begun to search for a new coach and former Utah Jazz coach Quin Snyder is “expected to be at the top of the list.”

Assistant coach Joe Prunty will serve as Atlanta’s interim head coach.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: