LAKERS -at- SIXERS - 12-9-22 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:53 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- SIXERS - 12-9-22 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Overtime Disappointment... On one hand you want to give the Lakers some credit for a comeback. On the other, they were atrocious in overtime.

The difficulties for the Lakers started early in this one. The Lakers were up 12-11 with 4:51 left in the first quarter when AD picked up his third foul. The absence of their bigman hurt as they gave up a subsequent 16-0 run. At one point Embiid had as many points (17) as the Lakers. The Lakers trailed 31-20 after the first quarter.

The Lakers wouldn’t go away easily tonight.

They rallied back in the second quarter. Down 12 with 11 minutes to go, AD returned as Ham rolled the dice. The Lakers fought back behind some great offensive play by Reaves and took the lead while Embiid tried to rest on the bench.

When AD sat with 5 minutes left, the Lakers were up 6. Reaves was amazing during this stretch as the Lakers made 13-straight field goals.

The Lakers trailed by a bucket at halftime, and it was anyone’s game despite the AD foul trouble. Just 3 minutes into the second half, AD picked up his fourth. He was surprised when it was called on him. Ham really should have reviewed this. This sidelined him again.

In the fourth quarter, AD could play loose with the four fouls. He dominated. The Lakers pulled their way out of an 18-point hole (16 points with 4:51 left).

The Lakers stormed back late, getting stops and buckets. After LeBron pushed out a steal and scored an And-1, he cut the lead to 5 with 1:07 left on a 13-2 Laker run. Later after forcing the Sixers into a timeout, Reaves would hit a three with 11 seconds left to cut the lead to 2.

They would need to foul and hope for a miss. They got both.

On the subsequent timeout, we inbounded to Reaves and he was fouled quickly putting up a three. He hit two of the FTs.

The Lakers stole the subsequent inbounds, AD got fouled in the scramble for the score and had a chance to take the lead with 3.7 left. He hit the first freethrow. He missed the second.

The Lakers sent the game to overtime. They had a chance to win it at the line, though, and blew it.

In OT, they got smoked. They lost the momentum and were outscored 12-0 before they scored their first and only bucket. They fell 132-122.

LeBron -- -- He had multiple turnovers and some poor shot selection in the fourth quarter that hurt the Lakers comeback chances. He had a couple big plays in that final minute, but he also choked a layup to start OT. Just not as efficient and effective as we needed from him. Defensively, some really soft defense at times on shooters. I’m not sure if he was just tired in general or wasn’t paying attention. He played a ton tonight, 43 minutes. We ran him as the backup center later in the game when we went small. He was effective boxing out and handling the interior. This lead to some up-tempo ball for the Lakers as Embiid couldn’t keep up. But you have to wonder if all those minutes and heavy lifting ended up hurting them in the fourth and OT. The Stats: He scored 23 points on 9-22 shooting (1-8 from three, 4-8 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 6 assists, 2 steals, 3 turnovers and 3 fouls in 43 minutes. He was a -10.

Davis -- -- Man. He was 13-13 from the line before missing that last one of regulation. Heartbreaker. He nearly had a dunk on that play, but a good foul by the Sixers to prevent that after AD stole the inbounds. He looked his best tonight when he could be aggressive on both ends in the fourth quarter. I don’t know about some of those fouls. They certainly weren’t calling it the same both ways on the bigs. They tagged him with three in the first quarter and that really allowed the Sixers to get comfortable. AD dominated in that fourth when he could play free. He was getting to the line, finishing lobs, hitting jumpers. Huge fourth quarter with 21 points, I believe. He played 36 minutes total. Without the foul trouble, maybe it’s 40 or more and that’s a big difference. Consider he was a +27 in his 31 minutes in regulation. Weak sauce with those foul calls. “We survived some unfortunate calls by the officials,” Ham said afterward. The Stats: He scored 31 points on 9-13 shooting (0-1 from three, 13-14 from the line) to go with 12 boards, 2 steals, 3 turnovers and 5 fouls in 36 minutes. He was a +16.

Walker IV -- -- That three ball was looking good, sinking 3-5. He also sank a pull-up from midrange for our first bucket. Mixed results on drives tonight as he had a couple of turnovers in addition to a couple scores.The Stats: He scored 15 points on 6-11 shooting (3-5 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 1 block, 3 turnovers and no fouls in 33 minutes. He was a -6.

Schröder -- -- Sort of a typical Schröder game that he will slip in with some regularity. He had some attacks to get to the rim for a score or setup teammates, but pretty quiet otherwise. Maybe we really paid the price for it in OT when Russ clanked a ton of shots. The Stats: He scored 4 points on 2-5 shooting (0-2 from three) to go with 1 board, 4 assists, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 21 minutes. He was a -17.

Beverley -- -- One of his better games. Our only bucket in OT after we were outscored 12-0. We found him wide open under the hoop. He had a good hustle play to get back into the backcourt in transition D to recover a loose ball, then he pushed it out and hit Reaves for a big three. Earlier in the game, some good hustle. One play he had a strong challenge, then saved the rebounds back inbounds to get the stop. He stepped in to take a charge on Embiid on D. He’d knock down his only attempt from three. The Stats: He scored 9 points on 4-4 shooting (1-1 from three) to go with 3 boards, 3 assists, 2 steals, 1 block, 2 turnovers and 4 fouls in 38 minutes. He was a +5.

Westbrook -- -- Triple-double off the bench from Russ. Mostly good game from Russ, although the finish left a bad taste in the mouth. In OT, he missed a pull-up from the elbow, blew a layup and missed a three in the first two minutes. Momentum killers. He’d miss a three later in OT. That killed us. Again, some of that good low screen-roll action tonight, teaming up with LeBron for a layup on one. He also found LBJ after Russ pulled down an offensive board and LeBron hammered. Late in regulation, he had a big score filling the lane and dunking. Good production off the bench overall. He was a net positive until that OT. Props for the triple-double off the bench. That's not easy. The Stats: He scored 12 points on 4-14 shooting (1-5 from three, 3-4 from the line) to go with 11 boards, 11 assists, 4 steals, 4 turnovers and 4 fouls in 36 minutes. He was a -7.

Reaves -- -- A 25-point, 5-assist, 2-steal game (all those numbers were in regulation, too). First, some props to the Laker scouting staff. We’ve traded away a lot of picks, but they’ve been able to come up with big finds with little to work with (Reaves, AC from the G-League, Kuzma/Josh Hart late in the first round). Reaves is kind of like having an extra late first-round pick -- someone who can sometimes start and finish, pop a big game every now and then, and can be in the league for many years. The undrafted second-year player tore it up in the second quarter with 12 of his 15 first-half points. He got into one of those frenzies where he was either hitting himself or setting up teammates for scores. He made 6-7 shots to go along with 4 assists and 2 steals. He nailed a couple of threes. He attacked Embiid with a spin, seal and scored the layup. Defensively, he saw a pass go behind his head and blindly flailed at it with a backhand to knock it down, then busted down court for the outlet and score. He had another score in the middle of the paint, pivoting and scoring in a crowd. At one point in this game, there were three Lakers with 20 points -- AD, LeBron and Reaves. Huge plays in the final minute. He buried an open three off a kickout from Bev. On a huge ATO, we called his number and he earned three FTs on the pull-up three. We were down three. He could have maybe won it, but missed his last FT. We stole that inbounds, though, and had another chance. If you rewatch this one, there were also a couple of plays where it looked like Reaves got fouled pretty obviously but got no whistle (one on a layup, another on a jumper. Some key no calls in regulation that ultimately cost them. The Stats: He scored 25 points on 9-15 shooting (4-6 from three, 3-4 from the line) to go with 2 boards, 5 assists, 2 steals, 3 turnovers and 5 fouls in 40 minutes. He was a -4.

Brown -- -- I have no notes other than he missed a floater bank attempt and missed a three. Nothing else going on. The Stats: He had no stats in 9 minutes and was a -19.

Bryant -- -- With AD in foul trouble, we played Bryant just 6 minutes. He was a -13 and got dunked on badly by Embiid who blew past him. He did knock down a three from the corner on his only attempt in this game. Bron took the backup C role for most of the night and that might have worn him down. The Stats: He scored 3 points on 1-1 shooting from three to go with 1 board and 1 foul in 6 minutes. He was a -13.

Ham -- -- Key Moment: Probably the start of overtime where the Lakers lost their momentum. There was a big sequence where the Lakers stole the ball and blew a 4-on-1 break, and then gave up an And-1 the other way. They missed a layup a couple possessions earlier, as well. Big switch there. Finish those plays with scores and who knows where this one ends up? But let’s go back earlier in the game. The war was lost with AD’s foul trouble. He had three fouls in the first quarter. (Ham gambling and losing after AD picked up two fouls…but some cheap ones). Early in the second half, AD was called for his fourth foul. There was a chance you could have had this fourth one overturned or called on someone else, but Ham didn’t review it. The Sixers made a run as AD sat both times. Ham called a timeout as the Lakers fell back by 9 just 5 minutes into the second half off that second one. The foul trouble also led to compromised D when AD was back in the game as the Sixers rattled off an 11-0 run later in that third. He doesn’t seem to challenge calls much, but he needs to try to protect the superstars on this team when they get tagged with fouls because we don’t have the depth to easily battle without them.

Key Substitution: Reaves destroyed off the bench. He brought the Lakers back in the second quarter. And then came up big in that final minute of regulation. Kid played like a star tonight. Hopefully, over time that becomes more and more of an occurrence.

Key Stats: The 13-2 OT. It started out 12-0 Sixers. Yuck. Good job coming back, but no impact in OT. The stat I wish I had: First possession of the game, the Lakers had a shotclock violation. Not sure I’ve ever seen that, but they have been pretty bad on opening set plays. I don’t know what the stats are here, but I wish I did. It seems like most of the time, it’s a lot of late shotclock attempts to start the game. So, I wasn’t anticipating any good action to start the OT.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, as always, DB! Great write up, for a stinker of a game.

The Lakers offense is...just really bad, honestly. The only time people move is when Russ is on the floor. And, Russ is inconsistent on offense, so... Other than that, the offense reminds me of the 2020 championship days. When it entirely revolved around Lebron and AD, and everyone else just watched. That's not good. Back then, that was with a more robust LeBron, and MVP-level AD. AD is playing at that level again, but LeBron is diminished. And, that 2020 team was around last in the league in offensive efficiency. Helps put into perspective our offensive woes.

I'm not expecting beautiful basketball movement, and guys playing like a team that's been together for multiple seasons. But, I expect better than this, at this point in the season. They were playing that kind of ball, when it was just AD and the role players. Why did they go away from that? I'm not going to only blame the players. That's on the coaching staff as well, led by Ham.

This isn't a problem that the FO can trade their way out of. This is going to have to be a true coming-to moment for LeBron, on doing less and being more efficient. Ham, as a head coach, laying down laws, while learning on the job. The roster is flawed, I understand. But, his rotations have been extremely questionable, to say the least.

Austin Reaves was fun, though.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject:

sonic the laker wrote:

The Lakers offense is...just really bad, honestly. The only time people move is when Russ is on the floor. And, Russ is inconsistent on offense, so... Other than that, the offense reminds me of the 2020 championship days. When it entirely revolved around Lebron and AD, and everyone else just watched. That's not good. Back then, that was with a more robust LeBron, and MVP-level AD. AD is playing at that level again, but LeBron is diminished. And, that 2020 team was around last in the league in offensive efficiency. Helps put into perspective our offensive woes.

I'm not expecting beautiful basketball movement, and guys playing like a team that's been together for multiple seasons. But, I expect better than this, at this point in the season. They were playing that kind of ball, when it was just AD and the role players. Why did they go away from that? I'm not going to only blame the players. That's on the coaching staff as well, led by Ham.

This isn't a problem that the FO can trade their way out of. This is going to have to be a true coming-to moment for LeBron, on doing less and being more efficient. Ham, as a head coach, laying down laws, while learning on the job. The roster is flawed, I understand. But, his rotations have been extremely questionable, to say the least.

Easy for me to say versus "prove", but I daresay had the Lakers moved for Turner, they probably win this game, and at least 1 of the last 2 before that, amongst others.

Turner's the type of guy who sorta is a 50/50 on whether he makes an impact on the offensive end in a solid manner. Far better than any other option we have to replace AD if he is hurt, in foul trouble, or otherwise. And I'm not even getting into how an AD / Turner front court would look. Yes, I am aware of how things would need to go in the offseason.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:23 pm    Post subject:

This team lacks the fundamentals to be a championship caliber team. Missed free throws. Missed layups. Turnovers. That’s what is so sickening watching this team. They can’t do stuff you are supposed to learn in grade school or at the Y.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:26 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:

Easy for me to say versus "prove", but I daresay had the Lakers moved for Turner, they probably win this game, and at least 1 of the last 2 before that, amongst others.

Turner's the type of guy who sorta is a 50/50 on whether he makes an impact on the offensive end in a solid manner. Far better than any other option we have to replace AD if he is hurt, in foul trouble, or otherwise. And I'm not even getting into how an AD / Turner front court would look. Yes, I am aware of how things would need to go in the offseason.
Interesting Question

If Turner was playing for the Lakers, who would be providing the energy and pace for the 2nd unit - not Schroeder, Nunn, PatBev or anybody else

If Turner was playing the 5, would we be getting the dominant AD? Turner wouldn't come close to the stats and impact of AD, while forcing AD to play more at the 4 will make him less effective - as stats have shown

If AD gets into foul trouble, Turner is a better solution than having LBJ - maybe

Since Turner is not a good passer from the post, he would be a lessor version of AD. He is not a consistent and feared 3pt shooter, so opposing team wouldn't have to consistently guard him from the interior. Turner is a better rebounder, but not as good as Drummond - who the Lakers had a couple season ago. He is a good defender - which means you would have AD at the 4 and LBJ at the 3 (at his age, would have difficulty guarding young and quick 3s).

Would you want to have these issues for 3 years, since he would be asking for $20+M for 3+ years - otherwise he is just a rental (and his value as a rental is low).

Since Kuz and Turner would be asking for $20+M per year for 3 years, the choice between these two is very obvious.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:04 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! AD is so damn good. Reaves and AD carried hard.

It's a shame that LeBron had to play 43 minutes and spend so much time fronting Embiid, because he didn't have it at all this game. Little focus, and even less touch. One of those "fog" nights as people liked to call it in 2019-20, but with a little father time sprinkled in.

Too many minutes and shots.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:50 am    Post subject:

Felt like AD spotted Embiid with those 4 fouls then once freed, took it to another level in the 4th. Clearly AD MVP season, fix the roster, Dec 15, don’t waste this
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject:

This team is not bad, but isn't good enough either.

Can't waste a season of superstar AD. Make the trade.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:07 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
DrDent wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:

Interesting Question

If Turner was playing for the Lakers, who would be providing the energy and pace for the 2nd unit - not Schroeder, Nunn, PatBev or anybody else

If Turner was playing the 5, would we be getting the dominant AD? Turner wouldn't come close to the stats and impact of AD, while forcing AD to play more at the 4 will make him less effective - as stats have shown

If AD gets into foul trouble, Turner is a better solution than having LBJ - maybe

Since Turner is not a good passer from the post, he would be a lessor version of AD. He is not a consistent and feared 3pt shooter, so opposing team wouldn't have to consistently guard him from the interior. Turner is a better rebounder, but not as good as Drummond - who the Lakers had a couple season ago. He is a good defender - which means you would have AD at the 4 and LBJ at the 3 (at his age, would have difficulty guarding young and quick 3s).

Would you want to have these issues for 3 years, since he would be asking for $20+M for 3+ years - otherwise he is just a rental (and his value as a rental is low).

Since Kuz and Turner would be asking for $20+M per year for 3 years, the choice between these two is very obvious.

We had Kuz, I'm done with him. The choice is obvious to me...Turner. He is not Drummond or other bigs, he is Turner.

We will never know, because as time has passed, a deal for him (to me) became less likely.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:19 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
DrDent wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:

Interesting Question

We had Kuz, I'm done with him. The choice is obvious to me...Turner. He is not Drummond or other bigs, he is Turner.

We will never know, because as time has passed, a deal for him (to me) became less likely.
Turner is a good substitute if AD is injured, assuming that he is healthy given his past.

How would he fit with the Lakers for the next three years, unless he is a rental
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: