LONNIE WALKER IV signs with Nets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
He's a better fit than Monk.

Monk was an offensive spark plug for sure, and better shooter, but an utter liability on defense.

Lonnie is at least 6'4 and has insane athleticism and gives effort defensively. Better signing. With non-Bird raises though, the most we can give him is something like 7.77m next year (IIRC 120%).

Next year the Lakers will have $30 plus mill in cap space.

Assuming now this whole thing with Kyrie is done, the Lakers can actually use that money to sign on role players like him, Troy Brown Jr and others.

Hopefully we'll build a real TEAM instead of chasing for another "star"

We need continuity
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:41 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Megaton wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Monk was an offensive spark plug for sure, and better shooter, but an utter liability on defense.

Lonnie is at least 6'4 and has insane athleticism and gives effort defensively. Better signing. With non-Bird raises though, the most we can give him is something like 7.77m next year (IIRC 120%).

Assuming now this whole thing with Kyrie is done, the Lakers can actually use that money to sign on role players like him, Troy Brown Jr and others.

We need continuity

There's Levert and DLo for shooters
KLove for the min be dope too
Keep Reaves, Lonnie and Troy
still need big wings that can shoot
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:41 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Megaton wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

We need continuity

Agreed. The winning formula is having two superstars plus good role players surrounding them. We already have the tough part accomplished, it’s now making sure we keep guys like Lonnie Walker and Troy Brown Jr around, and going after others like them in different positions.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
danzag wrote:
Megaton wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

We need continuity

Ideally, I would love to try and target guys like Jermai Grant, Kelly Oubre Jr, and uhh…Kyle Kuzma.

But yes, along with targeting THAT, keeping Reaves, Walker and Troy would be much needed.

My pipe dream would be keeping those 3, and signing either Kelly Oubre Jr or Kuzma back, and Myles Turner. But obviously, that would require a lot of luck and somebody taking a discount.

(bleep) Lebron for not taking even a slight paycut to create some flexibility.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:49 am    Post subject:

In 7 games so far, he is still at 29% from three. Still need a lot of improvement there and being more defensively sound. He is showing life though, so that's great. The talent is there. He just needs to put it all together.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:00 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

That $30m is not nearly enough as we will again lose most of our roster. We will only have that and a paltry room exception of around 4m to completely refill the roster again.

Bogs got $20m/year. People vastly underestimate how expensive players will be. We will be lucky to get one starter, maybe a mid-to upper lower tier rotation player with $30m.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Megaton wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

That $30m is not nearly enough as we will again lose most of our roster. We will only have that and a paltry room exception of around 4m to completely refill the roster again.

Bogs got $20m/year. People vastly underestimate how expensive players will be. We will be lucky to get one starter, maybe a mid-to upper lower tier rotation player with $30m.

Let’s not get crazy and think Reaves will get even $12 mill per in the off-season.

Obviously not everyone will be back at all, but maintaining Walker, Brown Jr and Reaves would at least still be more than doable. Unless you think the other two are gonna get $15+ mill per from others in the off-season.

Lebron’s extension certainly didn’t help this matter for sure though.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Megaton wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Let’s not get crazy and think Reaves will get even $12 mill per in the off-season.

Obviously not everyone will be back at all, but maintaining Walker, Brown Jr and Reaves would at least still be more than doable. Unless you think the other two are gonna get $15+ mill per from others in the off-season.

The most we can offer Lonnie is about 7.7m. So you are down 22m in cap space. If you keep Brown, I think he will want more than the min. Say we oblige and give him 4-5m. Down to 17-18m. Maybe you get lucky and get one starter with that? I mean are we jumping for joy over that haul, and the opportunity cost of doing nothing this season?
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Megaton wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Megaton wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The most we can offer Lonnie is about 7.7m. So you are down 22m in cap space.

Well first of all, that’s already wrong because it’s not just $30 mill. I only said $30+ Mill because I didn’t know the actual number. The actual number would be $35,945,602 (according to spoctrac for maximum possible cap space).

So let’s just start over for a second and see maybe what the Lakers can afford first? And I’m gonna go with worst case (as in most they would get) route.

Lonnie Walker $15 mill per
Troy Brown Jr $10 mill per
Austin Reaves $8 mill per

Ok so that’s perhaps, worse case. Now let’s try optimistic route and say some, if not all of these players are willing to take a lesser offer just to stay here like Caruso and Brook Lopez wanted to.

Lonnie Walker $8 mill per
Troy Brown Jr $6 mill per
Austin Reaves $4 mill per

Obviously very optimistic, but that’s the point. That’s $18 mill in total, and leaves us with roughly another $18 mill to spend. Certainly enough to go after another talent like say, a Kelly Oubre, Kuzma, or even Myles Turner since he wants to play here so much.

But obviously, realistically, it will be somewhere in the middle. And Lakers would probably be left with $12 or $13 mill left in total to sign another role player. Now obviously, we couldn’t go after someone like a Myles Turner with that money, but still a decent enough role player. The fact that the Lakers have been able to find these gems at minimums/MLEs says it’s more than possible.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject:

Surprise contributor so far.

Keep it up, Lonnie IV!
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
governator wrote:
danzag wrote:
Megaton wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

We need continuity

Ideally, I would love to try and target guys like Jermai Grant, Kelly Oubre Jr, and uhh…Kyle Kuzma.

But yes, along with targeting THAT, keeping Reaves, Walker and Troy would be much needed.

My pipe dream would be keeping those 3, and signing either Kelly Oubre Jr or Kuzma back, and Myles Turner. But obviously, that would require a lot of luck and somebody taking a discount.

(bleep) Lebron for not taking even a slight paycut to create some flexibility.

It's actually not LeBron, it's the owner wanting a tax free season for 2023 that limits spending. I mean we can sign Kuzma and Myles to $14-$16m each then resign Lonnie to MLEs then our other FAs via bird but that'll create tax
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject:

This guy is fearless...!

Love him, err, love his play...!
L.A.T.W
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
L.A.T.W wrote:
Às someone who watched him from the University of Miami to San Antonio this is not a fluke!!This guy is the real deal just severely under the radar.To say Lakers got a bargain is an understatement!

Would be awesome seeing what Spurs fans have to say

Completely understand.Im so big on him because I have family up in Reading PA.They told me about him then he lead them to a state championship.These same cousins told me about Kobe back in 1994 so I always trust their judgement.Anyway, Lonnie is GOOD with high energy but not the best defender.He does try really hard and has the physical gifts to be a great defender.Also, in the Spurs games I watched he was never really used right in that offense, much like Kawhi around 2013.

He had a game in 2019 where he scored like 20 in the 4th coming back from 20 vs Harden's Rockets in a W.He played great D on him too.Had several 20 point games off the bench for Popovich but didn't start much.Not a Spurs fan of course but my 2 cents.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:56 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Love seeing fans eat crow, I’m glad I was 1 of the few who supported the signing.

Lonnie is too streaky for folks to eat crow.
I would expect fans to admit he's better defensively than Monk at least.
Not a high bar, but folks were making it seem like Lonnie would be horrible.

I never saw him play much before and didn't know what an incredible athlete he is.

I didn't really talk sh*t about him... but I wasn't thrilled to see another non elite shooter join the team.

Now that I've seen him up close, he's very impressive.

I hope we don't lose him like Monk.

There's a chance we keep him.
Vas, outlined a way. But Lakers rarely do what Vas wants.
Would be nice to keep him, if there aren't bigger fish to go after
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Absolutely love what he brings
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:49 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
In 7 games so far, he is still at 29% from three. Still need a lot of improvement there and being more defensively sound. He is showing life though, so that's great. The talent is there. He just needs to put it all together.

In the last 2 games during our wins... He shooting like 58% from 3... High volume too.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:04 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
danzag wrote:
Megaton wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

We need continuity

Kuzma will be my target if he opts out at around $15m per... That probably leaves us with $8-9m to sign another player.

Thats with Walker/Reaves/Troy Brown cap holds. Most we can offer Walker is $7.8m. I think Lakers will have to renounce him, if they want to sign him to a bigger contract.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:17 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:

And I think they were people complaining about the signing
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:56 am    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
drae wrote:

And I think they were people complaining about the signing

Yup, just need to read back. A lot roasted Pelinka for the signing cause they prefer we get a wing. Bruce Brown is one of the wing most would have like, yeah he is a typical 3 and D and stronger than LW, but he is also 6’4” tall just like Lonnie. Most ignored the signing of Troy Brown and JTA as wing 3nD. Yes, this ball club is still not balance lack a shooter and another wing and maybe a big (still high on TB and DJ will provide enough), but they also have to deal with what to do with RW without giving up all the asset we have. RW to the bench and thriving might give us time to get the best deal possible. Track record wise the FA knows how to spot young talent, so I never though LW for the mid was bad.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:02 am    Post subject:

His defense has surprised me, on offense his efficiency needs to go up if he wants to chunk. It has been going up 50eFG% so far which is ok, but would love to see it st 54% like KcP with us.

Im glad ham took him out for Reeves + Matt Ryan it shows he knows his numbers
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:05 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:

He is exciting and a MUCH better talent and FIT than I thought he would be. Hopefully he can be more consistent on both sides of the floor. That being said, he can't hold Monks jock.

Last edited by RI Laker on Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:31 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Megaton wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Megaton wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The most we can offer Lonnie is about 7.7m. So you are down 22m in cap space.

Well first of all, that’s already wrong because it’s not just $30 mill. I only said $30+ Mill because I didn’t know the actual number. The actual number would be $35,945,602 (according to spoctrac for maximum possible cap space).

So let’s just start over for a second and see maybe what the Lakers can afford first? And I’m gonna go with worst case (as in most they would get) route.

Lonnie Walker $15 mill per
Troy Brown Jr $10 mill per
Austin Reaves $8 mill per

Ok so that’s perhaps, worse case. Now let’s try optimistic route and say some, if not all of these players are willing to take a lesser offer just to stay here like Caruso and Brook Lopez wanted to.

Lonnie Walker $8 mill per
Troy Brown Jr $6 mill per
Austin Reaves $4 mill per

Obviously very optimistic, but that’s the point. That’s $18 mill in total, and leaves us with roughly another $18 mill to spend. Certainly enough to go after another talent like say, a Kelly Oubre, Kuzma, or even Myles Turner since he wants to play here so much.

But obviously, realistically, it will be somewhere in the middle. And Lakers would probably be left with $12 or $13 mill left in total to sign another role player. Now obviously, we couldn’t go after someone like a Myles Turner with that money, but still a decent enough role player. The fact that the Lakers have been able to find these gems at minimums/MLEs says it’s more than possible.

Can’t a team just go over the cap to retain their own players. Thus, use 30 mil l on free agents then sign those three guys to whatever numbers as well?
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:19 am    Post subject:

^Those guys all have cap holds which will count against the 30 million until they sign at a lower number or the Lakers release their cap holds. We don’t have $30M until we make it available by dropping the rights to resign those players.

Edit: not “Bird” rights.

Last edited by dont_be_a_wuss on Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject:

Monk was insane last season 58 eFG%

Walker career 48% and this season 49%

However its apples to oranges

Walker looks like a top defender in the league... i think he is the reason why we are top 10 on every defensive stats and i didnt like the signing only because i knew we would need shooting which so far made us go 2-5
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject:

We are lucky reeves and brown are strpping up and providing wing size
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 17 of 41
Jump to: