PELICANS -at- LAKERS - 11-2-22 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:37 pm    Post subject: PELICANS -at- LAKERS - 11-2-22 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Overtime Win!... The Lakers just survived two missed freethrows with 1.4 seconds left. Had the Pelicans made either of those, this game would have been over.

Out of the timeout, Austin Reaves put a perfect cross-court inbounds pass on Matt Ryan’s hands coming off a flare screen to the far side of the court. In one motion, he caught the pass, checked the feet and fired from the corner over the defender. Swish at the buzzer to send the game to OT with the three. It was Ryan’s third buzzer beating three in the game (first quarter and a shotclock three).

The Lakers were given a second life and they didn’t let it go to waste. They’d put the clamps on the Pelicans in overtime, allowing just 6 points and took the 120-117 win.

This was a game it felt like the Lakers had a chance to run away with earlier. Late in the second quarter, behind Russ floor generalling, the Lakers played some of the prettiest two-way ball we’ve seen in a while. The defense was rotating, recovering and getting into the passing lanes or blocking shots. The offense knew what it wanted to do. It was getting penetration, kicking out and make the extra swing pass to an open three shooter. They rattled off a 17-2 run to finish the half and lead 56-44.

They scored 23 points in a sluggish first quarter, but 23 points in those last 5 minutes of the half. A really fun stretch of basketball to watch. The Lakers, however, struggled to close the third quarter (as well as closing the first) and gave up a 12-0 run. This was a LeBron-led unit while AD and Russ rested.

The Pelicans were missing a couple of players, but this was an entertaining one to watch with 6 Lakers in double digits and Matt Ryan hitting buzzer beaters all night.

LeBron -- -- “Today was the first day I got out of bed since Sunday night. He was in pain with the left foot early, but he really looked winded, as well, to start the game. Just no energy and pop to his game with the flu bug or whatever sickness he’s got going on. He mentioned not having his juice to his game and the team struggled a bit during some stretches without that. He had 8 points on 4-7 shooting in the first half. He would miss all 7 of his threes. He had some good moments in the post, including blowing by Nance for a layup. He drew some FTs down the stretch (3:15 left) and 1:42 left). I feel like we got he offensive boards on a couple of his misses there (Bev and Brown, if I recall). With Bron’s lack of energy and Russ out, the offense really slowed down a bit too much. “My body told my ass to sit down,” he said of his sickness the past few days. So, the basketball gods served up an overtime for him. “I was horrible in a lot of things,” he said of this one. He’d get a big layup in OT on a jumpstep. But a tough one overall tonight…and still he was just a couple assists from a triple-double. The Stats: He scored 20 points on 9-23 shooting (0-7 from three, 2-4 from the line) to go with 10 boards, 8 assists, 2 blocks, 2 turnovers and 3 fouls in 40 minutes. He was a +3.

Davis -- -- Just 6 points on 3-9 shooting in the first half, but 3 blocks and a steal on the defensive end. His positioning in the drop coverage was excellent. He never let his man get behind him and was close enough to the ball handler to allow for the primary defender to recover. It was very disruptive. It’s a small thing, but very noticeable improvements from his first few games this season. That helped the D lock in. He’d get a fourth block early in the second half, roofing Zion. A lot of those plays would turn D into offense. He had a great outlet down court on one stop to Walker for the breakaway dunk. Davis missed a couple of chippies down the stretch in regulation (missed a lefty layup with 2:16 left, missed a tip in with 0:47 left he probably could have grabbed). In OT, he cleaned up a LeBRon missed drive and also had a cherry picking dunk as he tumbled over another Laker as the Pelicans took off on the break and then blew the break. The back looked better tonight. He did take a good shot on an illegal screen that sent him to the floor, but the back pain wasn’t as much in play as the previous couple. The Stats: He scored 20 points on 8-17 shooting (4-4 from the line) to go with 16 boards (5 offensive), 4 assists, 1 steal, 4 blocks, 1 turnover and 3 fouls in 37 minutes. He was a +9.

Walker IV -- -- You string together several impact games and you might not be considered streaky. Another good one tonight as he led the team with 28 points and made 5 threes. His 7th career game with 25+ points they said. He missed a wide open three with a couple seconds left to tie the game. Can’t get a better look than that for him as he was our best three shooter of the night. He would swish a corner three off a short-roll play with AD/Bev in overtime. Really good Laker ball movement led to the extra pass and some wide open looks. When he wasn’t hitting the threes, he was getting to the rim. We set a lot of screens to get him downhill or curls. Once he gets that speed up, his athleticism is tough to slow down. And on the break, he’s just tough to deal with. He had a dunk that the team got a tech on (Nunn wasn’t even playing tonight and cost the team a point). Really good shot selection, and that probably goes for the team (outside of LeBron tonight). The Stats: He scored 28 points on 9-17 shooting (5-9 from three, 5-6 from the line) to go with 3 boards, 1 assist, 1 block, 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 40 minutes. He was a +8.

Brown -- -- He had 11 points on 3-4 shooting in the first half. It was that ideal, low-usage type of ball you want to see around your superstars. He was cutting off ball on Westbrook’s iso’s and that led to easy layups when Russ found him. His one assist tonight was an extra pass to Walker for a three. This was right after he took an extra pass himself from AD and hit a wing three. Really good chemistry on the floor again. The team looks a lot better with him in the mix. He gives them the size on the wing we were lacking. That turns into boards (10 tonight!) including a big offensive board off a missed Bron FT (he just gets long on those). The Stats: He scored 15 points on 4-7 shooting (1-3 from three, 6-6 from the line) to go with 10 boards, 1 assist and 1 foul in 27 minutes. He was a +6.

Beverley -- -- Better game from Pat. He looked a bit more like himself on D, which I felt like he had been struggling lately. He came in late and made CJ work. The team needed that and he delivered. He also got a big offensive board/steal on a freethrow miss with 1:42 left. And then in overtime, he would also get another. Those are huge possessions. This is kind of how I pictured the team closing. It would be Reaves and Beverley along with someone else who has been playing well in a given game. Beverley needs to be super conservative with what he does offensively and then get you extra possession during key moments. Both he and Reaves did that tonight. Offensively, not a lot. He did have a nice short-roll sequence in OT with AD that led to a kickout to Walker. He also had a drive and dish to Gabriel for a dunk. No threes taken this game. Neither him nor AD put them up and I liked that we were selective that way. The Stats: he didn’t score on 0-3 shooting to go with 4 boards, 3 assists, 1 steal and 2 turnovers in 27 minutes. He was a +7.

Westbrook -- -- He had 11 points, 6 boards and 7 assists in a +11 first half. One of his best stretches as a Laker. He looked like that MVP Russ from years back. We are trying to separate the minutes between him and Bron, so Russ can have the ball in his hands and make things happen. Guys were vibing off him, the building was hopping and the team got into a good rhythm. The ball was moving and guys, including Russ were making the extra pass. I loved the chemistry between Russ and Brown. Brown wasn’t going to stand around, he was cutting and Russ was finding him. It made for some pretty basketball (Russ had a sweet lefty off-the-dribble no-looker to Brown on one). One of Russ’s turnovers probably should have gone to Brown as the pass hit him in the hands. The 6 turnovers weren’t great, but you didn’t feel they hurt the team badly. Part of that might be also because Ham went away from Russ to close and in OT. The team has to be methodical with what they do with Russ when LeBron is out there or things break down when LeBron has the ball. Defensively, Russ took a couple charges in the first half, including one on Zion. We had him trying to battle Zion in the post defensively and he gave a spirited effort on something that wasn’t an easy assignment. The Stats: He scored 13 points on 6-10 shooting (1-4 from three) to go with 7 boards, 9 assists, 1 block, 6 turnovers and 2 fouls in 25 minutes. He was a +4.

Reaves -- -- Big plays by Reaves in the clutch tonight. That inbounds pass was not easy and he put it on the money. Prior to that, he also had a huge offensive board with 1:27 left to draw a foul and make a couple of freethrows. He also had a steal that he took for a layup earlier. In addition, there was a block-charge call on the break that went against him that cost us a score. Ham should have reviewed that, it probably would have been overturned as the defender wasn’t there in time. That might have been his only miscue in this one and probably should have been more FTs. I liked seeing him close and get the OT because he just makes winning plays on both ends. Prior to the game, he was shooting 47% from three (ranking 25th). That will take a hit with the 0-3 tonight. The Stats: He scored 7 points on 2-6 shooting (0-3 from three, 3-3 from the line) to go with 2 assists, 2 steals, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 34 minutes. He was a -11.

Ryan -- -- Ryan at the buzzer! He hit a three to beat the first quarter buzzer. He hit a three to beat a shotclock. With 1.4 left, he took a cross-court inbounds from Reaves, checked his feet and swished the three at the buzzer to tie the game up and send it into OT. I mean that fading three was perfect. “This is definitely the biggest shot of my life so far,” Ryan said. Dude could only hit clutch threes tonight. All the others were off the mark. So happy Ham put him back in for that last play. We had just two guys who hit multiple threes tonight and the other guy just missed one last time down. Ham learned a little something tonight. Last year, Vogel would have had a couple non-shooters out there. Ham trusted it and it paid off. Defensively, quite a few issues with Ryan, but we were also playing some wack lineups that didn’t have a lot of D out there with LeBron, Ryan and a smaller C in Gabriel. We’re just trying to make space for LBJ to go to work and LeBron didn’t quite have the pop in his game tonight with his foot injury, I think. So those lineups had struggles. I’m sure his phone is blowing up tonight. WIth his back story, got to love it. “I had three or four in and outs, I’m just glad coach gave me the opportunity,” Ryan said. The Stats: He scored 11 points on 4-11 shooting (3-9 from three) to go with 2 boards, 1 assist, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 18 minutes. He was a -7.

Gabriel -- -- No Jones in the mix tonight. We had a lot of issues with some of the size matchups with Zion. Gabriel, Russ, Bron, AD. Just hard to deal with it tonight. He was scrappy, thought. He broke up a lob. He’d get up high for boards. Offensively, he had a dunk off a Russ drive and dish. He flashed to the middle, took a pass from LeBRon and touch-passed it out to Walker for a three. He tipped in a Ryan missed floater. Then had a bad turnover, throwing a pass away on the break that he probably should have tried to dunk. The Stats: He scored 6 points on 3-4 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 4 boards (2 offensive), 1 assist, 1 steal, 2 turnovers and 4 fouls in 16 minutes. He was a -6.

Ham -- -- Key Moment: We had two timeouts in the final 7 seconds to set up threes to try to tie the game. Our two best shooters tonight were Walker and Ryan. The first one ended up being a swing-swing over to Walker for a wide open corner three. You just can’t get a better look. He missed that. That second one was the flare screen, which the Pelicans should have just automatically switched and erased pretty easily, but we caught a break with a delayed reaction to the switch and Reaves executed the perfect pass to Ryan for the corner three to tie it. “The play was definitely intended for him,” Ham said, adding, “I just wanted Matt to be in a position to just throw one up there and hopefully go in.” Just a note here. Last year, why do I feel like those both would have likely been chucks for LeBron, and with Russ in the game to make things trickier?

Key Substitution: Bringing Ryan in for that last play, of course, was huge. But there’s also something to be said for Ham sitting Westbrook to close. Russ was a +4, but the last shift wasn’t going great. We weren’t thinking the game well to put Russ into threat positions when LeBron had the ball, so Ham sat him. It was the right call. But we do need to be mindful about playing with more purpose with Russ in the fourth. You can’t have him standing at the wing off ball watching.

Key Stats: The Lakers had 18 assists in the first half (6-21 three shooting). Just 12 assists

Coach’s Challenge: It wasn’t used. We were getting nickel and dimed by the refs. We should have used it on the Reaves block/charge in the fourth. I’m not sure if they could have used it on Zion stepping out of bounds before throwing a pass for a score to CJ later.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Baby steps

Found our true size wing in T.brown
Monk like 3rd option in Lonnie
If Matt ‘DoorDash’ ‘NBA not NFL’ Ryan can hide on defense, Kyle Korver!
Brodie ‘6MOY’ BestBrook
Austin ‘high IQ’ Reaves, Swiss army, can play with any line up
Waiting for Bryant to get healthy
31-43-27… last 3 games 3%

Are we a Buddy-Myles trade away from contending?
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:14 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the breakdown, as always, DB!

This was a great, gutsy win, that the team needed to continue to build confidence. Especially with a sapped LeBron, and a banged up AD. Looking forward to seeing how this team grows. Hoping to see Nunn, JTA, and T. Bryant get on the floor for us. Lakers!
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:17 pm    Post subject:

One game at a time.

Thanks, DB!
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Well written summary.

Happy for the win.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:34 pm    Post subject:

I went to this one. The refs had a terrible stretch to end that game. That Zion baseline pass was egregious, the back-to-back foul calls, the technical on Nunn??

Super exciting win though.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:11 am    Post subject:

I thought we were going to lose until those missed FTs by Daniels and the Matt Ryan 3-pointer.

The way we won was a good sign. We didn't really win games like this last season. This type of win is a sign that we're respecting the basketball gods.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:28 am    Post subject:

Defensive intensity was there for 40+ minutes and team is building a reputation of playing tough D

Westbrook's pace and energy is good for Russ and the Bench Mob

AD and LBJ are playing well and healthy for the next game

Team is connected to one another that will be even more efficient, long-standing and intense for entire games that will always provide opportunities to win games

Door Dash Matt can be our J.J. Redick/Kyle Korver????
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:36 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB! This team plays hard and plays great D. Despite the shortcomings it isn't miserable as last season's team
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:33 am    Post subject:

Great win considering who struggled. LeFlu or no LeFlu, LeBron is 7 games in without his typical "LeBron" game.

Win streak!

Last edited by PenG_ on Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:35 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

No Nunn. No JTA. No Jones. Team wins the game.

Coincidence? Maybe.

Team won the rebounding battle and points in the paint battle. 3 point % was below average but better than earlier in the season. All they have to do is shoot for average and they will be in every game.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:33 am    Post subject:

I am so happy for a win. But to put it in perspective, the Pels not having BI/Herb Jones makes quite the difference, and we squeaked this one out with LBJ clearly looking under the weather.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I am so happy for a win. But to put it in perspective, the Pels not having BI/Herb Jones makes quite the difference, and we squeaked this one out with LBJ clearly looking under the weather.

A win is a win, and we will have games too where one of Lebron/AD are unavailable (or WB).

These are the home games we have to win, if we want a chance to be in that 7-10th play in area. Looking maybe too far ahead, it will take maybe 37-41 wins to get into 10th and maybe 41+ to get into 7th/8th. There are a lot of teams looking at that right now and most ahead of us.

We're not built to win in the longrun, so we have to try and win as much as possible now. This is the sort of win we needed.

At this point I was expecting us to be 3-4, so we're not too far off from where I think we needed to be to have a .500 level season. My main concern remains how much we rely on AD. AD's health is critical. We're so heavily reliant on his defense and overall play it's crazy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:15 am    Post subject:

We certainly seem like a team that enjoys playing together.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:21 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
I thought we were going to lose until those missed FTs by Daniels and the Matt Ryan 3-pointer.

The way we won was a good sign. We didn't really win games like this last season. This type of win is a sign that we're respecting the basketball gods.

100%. We are respecting the game and it’s showing. I had my doubts about Ham but that play he drew up for Ryan with AR passing was very nice. I also have had my doubts about Russ off the bench but he’s been fantastic in bursts. I can live and be happy with this type of effort win or lose.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

A win is a win, and we will have games too where one of Lebron/AD are unavailable (or WB).

These are the home games we have to win, if we want a chance to be in that 7-10th play in area. Looking maybe too far ahead, it will take maybe 37-41 wins to get into 10th and maybe 41+ to get into 7th/8th. There are a lot of teams looking at that right now and most ahead of us.

We're not built to win in the longrun, so we have to try and win as much as possible now. This is the sort of win we needed.

At this point I was expecting us to be 3-4, so we're not too far off from where I think we needed to be to have a .500 level season. My main concern remains how much we rely on AD. AD's health is critical. We're so heavily reliant on his defense and overall play it's crazy.

This is why I remain a fan of a Turner/Hield trade. Ham's system relies on strong on ball pressure and funneling to a rim protecting big. We have AD for that. But imagine AD and Myles for that?
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:49 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! 2 wins in a row!

I'm starting to really appreciate these adjustments Ham is making on first and second units, and also on how this team is playing defense. I'm very surprised, but he has this squad competing all of a sudden. Love the effort!

Keep this up Lakers!
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Dude, people need to settle down. That end of game was a comedy of errors and we only won because the Pels happened to fumble worse than we did. I get being happy for a win, but it's a win, and doesn't reflect any greater improvement to this team for this season no matter the euphoria. If they happen to put together a good streak, that's one thing. But seriously people, don't get too high because that probable crash is gonna hurt you even more.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!

In the game thread I said Houdini Ham unlocked Russ! The last part of the second quarter was the best I've seen Russ as a Laker. And Ham still realizing he shouldn't close with Russ. In the presser, Ham mentioned that he told Russ he's playing great but that he needs to play through the perceived bad calls as Russ was slow to get back on D because of griping to the refs.

Ham will have an interesting job juggling players. Brown and Walker are both contributing as starters. We had 9 solid rotation players this game and 4 DNP-CD's; JTA, Jones, Nunn, Christie. And then add DS and Bryant into the mix when they get healthy.

I am liking Ham's decisions so far and he has been doing a good job picking and choosing each players spots and roles. Hope it continues!
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject:

Sojo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dude, people need to settle down. That end of game was a comedy of errors and we only won because the Pels happened to fumble worse than we did. I get being happy for a win, but it's a win, and doesn't reflect any greater improvement to this team for this season no matter the euphoria. If they happen to put together a good streak, that's one thing. But seriously people, don't get too high because that probable crash is gonna hurt you even more.
It should also be noted that this roster has lost games that it should have won

If one is doing an “Eyeball Test” - one would see a team (with a brand new roster and coaching staff implementing a new system) learning how the parts can best work together

We should be glad that our situation is much better the Nets, Clips and Mavs (all teams with owners that are far richer than the Buss Family

Isn't it amazing that the Lakers are presently only 1/2 game behind the Dubs and 11/2 games behind the Clips - LOL!!!

Will the Portlant Trailblazers continue at the pace they are going now?

With Harden out a month at Philly and Simmons out a few more games in New Jersey, things keep on changing

In the NBA - one must not get too high or too low

Last edited by A Mad Chinaman on Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Good stuff DB!
We've had injuries too, nobody cares, a win is a win. GO LAKERS!
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Good stuff DB!
We've had injuries too, nobody cares, a win is a win. GO LAKERS!

new coach, new roster. W
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: