LAKERS -at- NUGGETS - 10-26-22 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
For the record, unless Russ is wrecking shop in the Lakers locker room, we are too talent starved to send him home.

I think he could inject some life into the 2nd unit as the lead guard. The forced LBJ/AD/Russ starting trio just needs to end. And no need to guarantee him that he closes games either, as he's been an active harm to the team in closing moments. But I think he can be a good innings eater and help the team in that role.

I've made this point a couple times elsewhere: Westbrook is our best option for a starting guard. This is not a good thing, but it's still true. Nunn hasn't gotten his act together yet. Schroder is recovering from his thumb injury. Reaves has the talent level of a high-end G Leaguer. We looked better with Westbrook in the starting lineup than we did with any of those guys. It pains me to say that.

You can make a reasonable argument that Westbrook shouldn't close games. Nunn or Schroder may get their act together as the season progresses. Reaves may develop into something more than a fan-favorite placeholder. All of that is fair game. But as of right now, our non-Westbrook options are just pitiful.

I'd rather try with Lonnie Walker as starting guard right now, let Bron play his usual PG and put bigger Troy Brown to round up the back court
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:18 am    Post subject:

the bummer is how it ended after how well the 2nd qt went. I think we knew we would probably lose but we went away from what was working. IMHO
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
For the record, unless Russ is wrecking shop in the Lakers locker room, we are too talent starved to send him home.

I think he could inject some life into the 2nd unit as the lead guard. The forced LBJ/AD/Russ starting trio just needs to end. And no need to guarantee him that he closes games either, as he's been an active harm to the team in closing moments. But I think he can be a good innings eater and help the team in that role.
I've made this point a couple times elsewhere: Westbrook is our best option for a starting guard. This is not a good thing, but it's still true. Nunn hasn't gotten his act together yet. Schroder is recovering from his thumb injury. Reaves has the talent level of a high-end G Leaguer. We looked better with Westbrook in the starting lineup than we did with any of those guys. It pains me to say that.

You can make a reasonable argument that Westbrook shouldn't close games. Nunn or Schroder may get their act together as the season progresses. Reaves may develop into something more than a fan-favorite placeholder. All of that is fair game. But as of right now, our non-Westbrook options are just pitiful.
Valid Comments

Ham has said that "feelings" are not of his equation to getting wins

Everybody recognizes that when Westbrook has the ball, he is always giving 150% - good or bad (he is getting better than being the worse - hopefully soon he will be serviceable)

Problem is that when WestBrick is working with two HOFers that are better offensive options than himself, he doesn't have the prerequisite Basketball IQ to work with LBJ/AD - Surprisingly

It has been said that WestBrick is stubborn and single-minded - all players with superstar talent have that mentality.

The Great Ones recognizes/addresses what one needs to do to win games - the Only Priority. Black Mamba has far greater talent than WestBrick, yet he adjusted/adapted/modified/added to his game throughout his career (RIP).

His "Decision Process"/"Basketball IQ" abilities make him a big and unreliable liability in closing games/crunch time.

As said on last night's ESPN broadcast (forgot who it was) regarding another player with superstar talent, there are ways to be productive besides shooting - screens, moving from side to side, blocking out, etc. - in other words, Basketball 101.

It will be interesting to see how Ham, Lebron, AD, Handy and others work out this situation with WestBrick.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I'd rather try with Lonnie Walker as starting guard right now, let Bron play his usual PG and put bigger Troy Brown to round up the back court

Lonnie Walker is a starting guard right now. I can see the appeal of a starting lineup of Beverley, Walker, Brown, Lebron, and Davis. I'm not sure that it would really be an improvement over Westbrook, Beverley, Walker, Lebron, and Davis, but it would give us a little more size.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Disappointed in Bron's game. 8 TO's, and he only had 9 pts until late in the 3rd I believe. Then he kind of went into stat-pad mode in the 4th. That was my perception anyhow.

So let's see. Russ has been exposed as not fitting in. Bron has been exposed as being way past his prime with tired legs, AD has been exposed with his inability to stay healthy, the rest of the roster has been exposed as a big drop-off from the aforementioned big three.

On a positive note, new Coach Ham and his team have room for improvement.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:
Thanks DB! Disappointed in Bron's game. 8 TO's, and he only had 9 pts until late in the 3rd I believe. Then he kind of went into stat-pad mode in the 4th. That was my perception anyhow.

So let's see. Russ has been exposed as not fitting in. Bron has been exposed as being way past his prime with tired legs, AD has been exposed with his inability to stay healthy, the rest of the roster has been exposed as a big drop-off from the aforementioned big three.

tbf I think Bron was clearly trying to get everyone going in the first half and to start the third. He was getting them wide open looks but nobody could hit anything.. If he had 15 assists to end the game and we win going away in double digits then people are celebrating him instead. There was a moment in the third it was clear he knew he had to start scoring and even into the 4th they were gunning to come back and I never got the notion he was stat padding but I did admittingly start fast forwarding quite a bit in the second half of the 4th so not sure if it happened more so in that time and I just missed it.

He's def. past his prime at being able to carry a team all by himself 100% no question but he can still be one of the better players in the NBA if used right but we could very well have the worst roster in the NBA after Bron and AD. At this stage he should be used more in a Kawhi or even Curry like role and he'd be dominating imo but instead he is being run into the ground and is too old for that kind of extreme role. No excuse for the 3's and TO's but the roster makeup is more of the decline we're seeing then Bron himself I think.

OTOH, you can also make the argument he pushed for Russ and likely some of the other moves so now he has to lie in the bed he made which I also can't fully disagree with at all.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject:

0-4

Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:

tbf I think Bron was clearly trying to get everyone going in the first half and to start the third. He was getting them wide open looks but nobody could hit anything.. If he had 15 assists to end the game and we win going away in double digits then people are celebrating him instead. There was a moment in the third it was clear he knew he had to start scoring and even into the 4th they were gunning to come back and I never got the notion he was stat padding but I did admittingly start fast forwarding quite a bit in the second half of the 4th so not sure if it happened more so in that time and I just missed it.

He's def. past his prime at being able to carry a team all by himself 100% no question but he can still be one of the better players in the NBA if used right but we could very well have the worst roster in the NBA after Bron and AD. At this stage he should be used more in a Kawhi or even Curry like role and he'd be dominating imo but instead he is being run into the ground and is too old for that kind of extreme role. No excuse for the 3's and TO's but the roster makeup is more of the decline we're seeing then Bron himself I think.

OTOH, you can also make the argument he pushed for Russ and likely some of the other moves so now he has to lie in the bed he made which I also can't fully disagree with at all.

Good points and your perceptions on the game are probably correct. I too kind of had the game in the background for a while. Didn't catch a few plays here and there.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:
hype wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:

Good points and your perceptions on the game are probably correct. I too kind of had the game in the background for a while. Didn't catch a few plays here and there.
On Point Comments

Since Lebron/Klutch understand that they were a major factor/maybe deciding factor that DeMar Derozen, Buddy Hield and Turner were not traded for PLUS Caruso, KCP and Kuzma were traded - all because of Lebron/Klutch to have Westbrook on the team.

To make matters worse, even with Lebron/AD/Westbrook scheming together how to work successfully together - obviously something went wrong

Pelinka definitely is a major part of the problem. However when the Savior (Most Influential NBA Player) of the Lakers says get Westbrook - very hard to say no. Given that Magic abruptly/suddenly/surprisingly/unexpectedly resigned, Pelinka was desperate to establish stability/foundation with Lebron.

If Pelinka would have said "NO" to Lebron, he would not have signed an extension and AD might have wanted to get out of LA with the Lakers in pieces.

Pelinka could blow things up (as stated by Jay Williams on First Take) or build carefully without any panic/rushed trade(s). Jeanie/Pelinka/Lebron was swinging for the fences that resulted in one ring that Lebron thought would be better if they had Westbrook.

Pelinka could display his mettle and ability by not listening to the NOISZ and only make a Pau Gaol-like trade by displaying the needed patience to show that he is/will be a successful GM.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: