The Lakers First Round Picks Discussion(They have more picks than you think: starting in 2023)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: The Lakers First Round Picks Discussion(They have more picks than you think: starting in 2023)

Alright I just decided to put all this information here so that fans can understand where we stand with our first round picks. We can only trade our 2027 First Round Pick but that doesn't mean that is the soonest we can draft in the first round. The soonest is this coming draft the 2023 one.

The Lakers 2023 First Round Pick:
The Lakers technically have their 2023 First Round Pick.

The problem is that the Pelicans can swap with us.

That means let's assume the Lakers have a terrible season and get the 1st pick in the 2023 Draft(Victor Web) the Pelicans can say "that's ours now." And we wind up with their pick(wherever it lands) and the Pelicans get our pick.

What this also means is that no matter what, the Lakers will have a first round pick in 2023, it will just be either theirs or the Pelicans. So the best thing the Lakers fans could hope for is that if the Lakers are having a horrible season.. that the Pelicans have a horrible season too. So that way they aren't inclined to swap their pick with ours. If our picks both wind up in the lottery (or say Top 5) we'll still get one, the Pelicans will just take whichever is most advantageous.

This is what happened with the Atlanta Hawks and the Dallas Mavericks, where the Hawks drafted Luka, the Mavs drafted Trae Young, and they did a pick swap, landing Luka with the Mavs and Trae with the Hawks.

So Lakers 2023 First Round Pick: Owned/Swap (Just will be Lakers or the Pelicans spot)

The 2024 and 2025 First Round Picks

The Lakers will have either the 2024 First Round Pick or the 2025 First Round Pick. It all depends on which one the Pelicans decide to take.

The Pelicans then have a choice whether or not they want to use the Lakers 2024 First Round Pick or their 2025 First Round Pick. Whichever the Pelicans choose, the Lakers get the next pick and that pick becomes tradeable.

This means that if the Pelicans select the 2024 Pick, the 2025 Pick becomes ours and tradable, if the Pelicans select the 2025 Pick, the Lakers get the 2024 First Round Pick which becomes tradable.

The Lakers 2026 First Round Pick:
The Lakers fully own their 2026 Pick but because of the Stepien Rule they cannot trade it until the Pelicans decide which pick they want between the 2024 and 2025 Picks. Because the Pelicans can still select the 2025 pick which would violate the rule not allowing us to trade the 2026 Pick.

What this means going forward:
So in a nutshell our first round options are dependent on the Pelicans decisions, but also how their seasons go. For example: If the Pelicans do not pick swap and decide to take the 2025 first round pick from the Lakers then the Lakers will have

2023 First Round Pick
2024 First Round Pick
2026 First Round Pick
2027 First Round Pick

But it all depends on the Pelicans.

But first things first, The Lakers WILL HAVE a First Round Pick in the 2023 NBA Draft.. it just depends whether it will be our own.. or The Pelicans'.

Last edited by MJST on Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject:

'23 FRP
'27 FRP
'29 FRP
$30m cap space

shall we absorb a 25-30% max player from a small market...
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject:

MJST - it’s a good topic!

There is reason for some optimism in that we technically only owe one 1st going forward. But the real value behind a 1st is the “insurance” it offers for a high selection after a poor season. On that front, we are down three draft years by virtue of the 2023 swap, and New Orleans’ option to pick between ‘24 and ‘25. Just three years after dealing away Davis and Jrue while operating in the worst market in the league, the Pels are already a better team than us. So that future insurance capital is significant. Otherwise, owning a 1st in the back third of the 1st round isn’t all that helpful.

In terms of the future, the prospects of giving away two additional 1sts for a return of middling talent not only costs you those picks, but any insurance against bad seasons in those years. Give the extremely poor track record over the last decade of our current ownership, that would be a disaster.

Te Lakers value their picks more poorly than any other team in the league, especially when you consider what our scouting department has done when given the opportunity to use them. A lot of that is the bargain they made with James, but that should be over now.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
'23 FRP
'27 FRP
'29 FRP
$30m cap space

shall we absorb a 25-30% max player from a small market...

I wouldn't give up the picks

Lakers have

'23 FRP(Lakers or Pelicans)
'24 or '25 FRP (dependent on Pelicans choice)
'26 FRP
'27 FRP
and onward

Are the picks we have. The 2023 FRP may be very important to us depending upon how ours and the Pelicans season goes. But either way, we'll have a 2023 FRP that we can either use or trade once the Pelicans decide whether or not to swap theirs with ours.
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Great. So after the draft Rob can send the 23 27 and 29 picks to Portland for a washed Dame Lillard.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Laker4lifer4real wrote:
Great. So after the draft Rob can send the 23 27 and 29 picks to Portland for a washed Dame Lillard.

too much money for the cap to absorb, has to be young max 25-30%, a BI or a SGA
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Hey if New Orleans and LA draw the #1 and #2 lotto picks we can still get Scoot.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Why did Rob throw in all of these swaps? Would the Pelicans seriously have said no without them?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Why did Rob throw in all of these swaps? Would the Pelicans seriously have said no without them?

I doubt it, we threw in extra picks because we feared they would ask for Kuzma imo

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Laker4lifer4real wrote:

Hahaha trademark Rob.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Griffin was banking on Jeanie continuing to fail after LeBron fades and AD breakdown while Rob believed he'd land a star (Kawhi) so it wouldn't matter anyway. We got a title but had we waited one more year for AD, we could've had Garland, Lonzo, Hart, Ingram, Hart, Kuzma, LeBron & AD. SO I guess you can call it a win but would waiting have been better?

That's my fear with Rob. Dude is a gun slinger and I'm convinced he practices his GM skills on 2K bc that dude is trigger happy like I've never seen. Even after the AD deal and title, if nee had just stayed pat and added around the fringes, we could've looked like Caruso, Bane, KCP, Kuz, LeBron, AD, Trez + 2022 #22 (which could've been Herb Jones) + 2021 MMLE (Nunn), 2022 TMLE (Walker).

So I guess that's the long way of saying while I feel like we've put ourselves in the situation where we HAVE TO move 1sts to try and maximize these last couple years of LBJ, perhaps showing restraint and patience in the smarter course of action. Just because we have picks coming up doesn't mean we should blow them just to try to marginally improve around Day to Davis and 20 year old Bron. If it can def result in a title - sure. Otherwise, drafting is the one thing we seem to do well so maximize that avenue.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Hey if New Orleans and LA draw the #1 and #2 lotto picks we can still get Scoot.

All jokes aside, Zion’s health may be one of the most important parts of our season. With CJ there to run the offense, Ingram still rising, and another year of continuity for their team, an all star season from Zion not only makes our missing the playoffs likely, it also would mean our pick would go from lotto to late 1st.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:

All jokes aside, Zion’s health may be one of the most important parts of our season. With CJ there to run the offense, Ingram still rising, and another year of continuity for their team, an all star season from Zion not only makes our missing the playoffs likely, it also would mean our pick would go from lotto to late 1st.

Honestly I don’t see our team as a contender. I just don’t want to give the Pels a lottery pick.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Griffin was banking on Jeanie continuing to fail after LeBron fades and AD breakdown while Rob believed he'd land a star (Kawhi) so it wouldn't matter anyway. We got a title but had we waited one more year for AD, we could've had Garland, Lonzo, Hart, Ingram, Hart, Kuzma, LeBron & AD. SO I guess you can call it a win but would waiting have been better?

That's my fear with Rob. Dude is a gun slinger and I'm convinced he practices his GM skills on 2K bc that dude is trigger happy like I've never seen. Even after the AD deal and title, if nee had just stayed pat and added around the fringes, we could've looked like Caruso, Bane, KCP, Kuz, LeBron, AD, Trez + 2022 #22 (which could've been Herb Jones) + 2021 MMLE (Nunn), 2022 TMLE (Walker).

So I guess that's the long way of saying while I feel like we've put ourselves in the situation where we HAVE TO move 1sts to try and maximize these last couple years of LBJ, perhaps showing restraint and patience in the smarter course of action. Just because we have picks coming up doesn't mean we should blow them just to try to marginally improve around Day to Davis and 20 year old Bron. If it can def result in a title - sure. Otherwise, drafting is the one thing we seem to do well so maximize that avenue.

I think with a better GM we could have won the title in 2020 with the AD trade but built a post 2020 championship team better. Rob has systematically dismantled that team.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:06 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
2019 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

I think with a better GM we could have won the title in 2020 with the AD trade but built a post 2020 championship team better. Rob has systematically dismantled that team.

What if we just hadn’t signed LeBron, then signed Kawhi instead the next season and waited one more season for AD to be a free agent?

Garland
Lonzo
Ingram
Kawhi
AD

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

That'd be the best case scenario for the Lakers in all honesty.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
2019 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Nope you need to put that square on LEGM and Klutch....umm remember Trez? THATs where the foolishness happened and the disband of the Center position...yeah a Klutch client.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:30 pm    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
2019 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Nope you need to put that square on LEGM and Klutch....umm remember Trez? THATs where the foolishness happened and the disband of the Center position...yeah a Klutch client.

On paper Trez and Marc felt like an upgrade but you're right it was the start of the collapse. Armed with $10M to add to a title team with several great fitting pieces in place and a healthy balance of vets, guys in their primes and some younger players, they added an undersized PF who can't shoot or play D. Then came Dennis who ended up a 1 year rental at the cost of a a KEY fitting role player and a 1st which was rumored to have been Desmond Bane.

Since then it feels like it's been Klutch client after Klutch client. Sign Trez. Pay THT. Sign Nunn. Sign Walker. I mean, 3 years now it's been us giving Klutch clients a platform to showcase and they accept our one year deal so we can chase another star.

Maybe I'm just tired and being emotional but I genuinely am starting to think we're seeing the end of the Lakers as we know them. Jeanie needs to wake up and see it but I think she gets distracted by big shiny things like Hulu TV shows, scoring records, and having Klutch in her back pocket (but not realizing she's really in theirs).
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Great topic, there are way too many people on this forum thought we don’t have any picks until 2027. The fact is that we only owe one more pick to NOP. 24 or 25, the rest is ours
The pick swap this season is highly likely useless as many teams will be in the tanking mode and we will likely be a low playoff seed.

Lebron’s contract expires in 2025 and AD’s contract runs through that year too, so it is highly unlikely those will be high lottery picks.
The impact of the AD trade has mostly passed us, and we might be heading into rebuild in 2025 or even sooner if lebron opts out in 2024 to play with his son.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
2019 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

What if we just hadn’t signed LeBron, then signed Kawhi instead the next season and waited one more season for AD to be a free agent?

Garland
Lonzo
Ingram
Kawhi
AD

How can we afford these 5 players? Ok, let’s just say we could, you assume those guys to stay healthy all the time?
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:09 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

“Could’ve” is really not a good argument against the fact we won in 2020.
In order to sign AD the following season, we had to trade Deng without taking salary back, I’d assume we have to give up young players and multiple picks to make that happen. There would be no KCP, no Rondo, no DG, no McGee, and you have to assume BI plays equally well (coming off a blood clot injury)
Regarding Bane, you are using how he played to judge how we should’ve picked, that’s like saying someone could’ve picked Jokic in the first round, it doesn’t work like that. In fact, most teams passed on him, even the team that drafted him traded him away. Good for him for playing so well.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:59 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:

Maybe I'm just tired and being emotional but I genuinely am starting to think we're seeing the end of the Lakers as we know them. Jeanie needs to wake up and see it but I think she gets distracted by big shiny things like Hulu TV shows, scoring records, and having Klutch in her back pocket (but not realizing she's really in theirs).

I reached the low point of my feelings for the org on hearing of the Pelinka extension because it confirmed my worst fears about Jeanie Buss' business/leadership acumen.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:35 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
2019 wrote:

I reached the low point of my feelings for the org on hearing of the Pelinka extension because it confirmed my worst fears about Jeanie Buss' business/leadership acumen.

Jeanie's an incredible businesswoman. The Lakers' record of profitability has been astonishing on her watch.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:50 am    Post subject:

Tank in 2026!
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:53 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
2019 wrote:

Jeanie's an incredible businesswoman. The Lakers' record of profitability has been astonishing on her watch.

I'm curious more than anything. What has Jeanie done?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: