Energy & Defense

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Energy & Defense

I’m so excited about watching this team play basketball. I expect 100% effort every night which was not something we got la at season. I view the roster construction a lot different than most fans. We are deep at every position!

1 - Pat bev, Dennis s, Kendrick n, Austin R, Russ, pippen
2 - Pat bev, Austin r, walker, brown, JTA, nunn
3 - Pat bev, brown, JTA, bron, brow, Gabriel,
4 - bron, brow, Gabriel, JTA, brown
5 - brow, bron, brown, Gabriel, Bryant, Jones

I look at position based off of who you can defend and we have every position covered. Everyone is concerned about a wing defender but we can throw a different look at whoever we come across. Pat bev can’t guard em then switch AD on em, AD can’t try brown or JTA.

I’m also excited about the type of players We have. We have energetic, and tough players. We shouldn’t have very many nights where they don’t get up to play. We have a few culture guys like Pat bev and JTA. This team will surprise everyone!!!

Between Russ, bev, and Dennis we have someone that can pick up 94 feet all game long and help control the pace of the game. We slow them down and get stops so we can run!!!!

Plus if we play that way it benefits Russ style of play. We need Russ because bron is older and can’t play 70 games a year. I agree with this build of the team and I think they had Russ in mind when they put it together. It fits Russ and bron now which is essential. They gotta play d for it to work though!!!

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject:

The Dawg Pound

DS
PatBev
Reaves
JTA
T.Bryant
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Dom wrote:
Aug 16, 2022ReplyRetweetFavorite

Starting shooting guard. 6'6" Juan Toscano Anderson
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:29 pm    Post subject:

JTA, Pat Bev, reaves, Thomas Bryant. I think we will have a few crowd favorites this season. Plus, I think Westbrook shows he’s not as worthless as a lot of us fans (including myself) think. If we’re playing defense and running he will become a quick Fan favorite and everyone will acknowledge him as part of the big 3…if we’re playing defense the way we should.

Most excited I’ve been about a laker team in a very long time!

I love guards that pick up 94 feet and I love teams that play defense and get out and run. I think that’s the part about showtime basketball people forget. It’s starts on the defensive end!

TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:39 pm    Post subject:

I'll be surprised if WB put in any kind of consistent effort on defense. That said, there's a fair chance looking at this roster that we have stocked up on players who will gladly take WB's place on the floor and play defense like it should be played.

I'm curious to see them in action, see how they play and what energy they bring when games start counting. With any luck we will see some defense and energy.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:30 am    Post subject:

Energy and Defense will first be seen in Ham's First Commandment - CONTAIN

With DS, PatBev, JTA and Reeves playing with energy on defense - if Russ is not matching their energy - it will be very obvious and Ham has many options to put on the floor for Russ.

Maybe we need Russ to get PO to make him play D. Siince Ham is hoping to have LBJ and AD play around 35MPG, that will probably be the MPG that Russ will get
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:31 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Dom wrote:
Aug 16, 2022ReplyRetweetFavorite

Starting shooting guard. 6'6" Juan Toscano Anderson

Would not be opposed to defensive starting line ups like'

Bev, Stroodles, Tuscany, Nunn, Reaves

Defense creates offense as was seen in the season we won
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject:

If our starting lineup ends up being

Jones
Ad
Bron
Nunn
Westbrook

Then our bench will be the ones bringing the energy and defense lol

Bryant
JTA/ Gabriel
Reaves/ walker
Bev
Shroder

Shroder may make another run for sixth man of the year. Shroder with a stretch 5 and the spacing of a 5 out is scary.

joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:47 pm    Post subject:

I cannot over emphasize how important the defensive side of the court is to me as I evaluate what our Lakers are able to accomplish this season.

For us to have any realistic chance at ring #18, I believe that great team defense will be second only to team health in that effort. We hear waaaay too much chatter about the trey shooters, but not nearly enough about the score stoppers.

However OP, I don't think your thread title captures the full range of what is necessary to be effective at stopping the other team from scoring on a nightly basis. To me, there are three main components we should look for in the personnel we put out on the floor for this purpose:

- Defensive Energy (DE)
- Defensive Intelligence (DI)
- Defensive Attributes (DA)

DE speaks for itself. A player shouldn't need much external motivation to go out there and give as close to max effort as possible to interrupt the other team's plans to put the ball in the basket.

DI exponentially magnifies the effectiveness of great effort when a player knows what to do defensively and when to do it. Knowing how to stay in front of your man, consistently participating in smart rotations as the ball swings around, throwing out timely jabs into passing lanes, providing aggressive weak side help down in the post... the list goes on and on. Our coaching staff, along with LBJ and AD, will be of great help this season to help everyone in this area.

DA makes up the list of natural gifts a player has through which DE and DI are applied. Height, weight, wing span, jump height, twitch muscles / reaction speed, lateral movement ability, overall foot quickness, etc. are just some of the attributes that contribute to a potentially effective defender at each position on the court.

~~~~~

Here we are just before the first pre-season game is played, and there is still chatter about possible trades to improve the team (pretty much all involving Westbrook). So while a true assessment of what we have now defensively cannot be fully evaluated yet, there are some promising signs with the roster so far compared to the ugly defensive unit we had last season.

At each position, on paper mind you, I see quite a few nice pieces that will give us tremendous effort night in and night out at nearly every position. The IQ defensively of a number of our rotation pieces is also really encouraging.

Even the natural attributes of our players so far is not too bad at all, at least with potential starters. We have more than enough guards, players 6'0 to 6'6", that we can mix and match to get an above average amount of stops vs. back court opponents. Ahen it comes to defending opposing centers 6'11 and up, we should be able to hold our own.

My main concern right now is defense at the two forward spots from back up Lakers because the ST and PF size that we have right now is not as strong as it was in our 2020 championship year (6'7" Kuzma and 6'9" Morris) or even last season to be honest.

In both of those seasons, we wer among the best defensive teams in the league. Last season, decimated by injuries along with fielding a tribe of hobbits all year long, we were among the worst stopping the bad guys.

Lebron and AD cannot be overused to keep a "big" line up on the floor. Right now, our back up PF with the most potential IMO is 6'9" Gabriel who may surprise us.

If that's not the answer, I do hope we trade our FRPs for solid additions to the back up SF and PF slots with defensive players of legit size so we can be confident from top to bottom that we will be defensively elite once again.

My hope in the off season was to get 6'7" Reddish as a 22 year old defensive project along with 6'9" Vanderbilt from the Jazz... sure, there are question marks there, but they each have DA qualities I like, and our coaching crew could try to flesh our DI and DE as necessary. I mean, if players like this were already proven, they would jot be available or we couldn't afford them.

No matter what though, I'll cheer on my Lakers in the season ahead. Hopefully Rob pulls off a nice deal or two moving forward that improves our team defense even more (pretty good job so far, I have to say).
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:12 am    Post subject:

Didn't get to watch the game. I'm not in LA anymore and games start at 10:30 for me now. Did the squad show "energy and defense"?
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:23 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Did the squad show "energy and defense"?

Wenyen -- Never stops moving but lacks fundamentals. He doesn't screen nor box out.
Juan -- Always in the best spot defensively. Switches. Stops ball in transition. He didn't make stops.
Austin -- Made a few hustle plays, but a non-factor. He took a loose ball out of bounds, didn't throw it back in play under our basket.

Max should get an honorable mention
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:04 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
defense wrote:
Did the squad show "energy and defense"?

Wenyen -- Never stops moving but lacks fundamentals. He doesn't screen nor box out.

Can't disagree more. Gabriel was the team's defensive MVP last night.

He got blocks as the primary and as the help defender. Watching him provide paint protection in swarms with AD or T. Bryant where they would simultaneously go up and disrupt shots down low shows extreme promise in that area for the regular season... it'll be our twin tower protection scheme that our new coach will definitely make use of.

Gabriel moved his feet laterally the best he could against ball handlers, and one time when he got burned by a drive from the three point line, he he recovered and blocked a sure layup from behind at the rim.

On the boards, he won the battle in traffic during his limited time on the court far more than he lost. If it didn't seem as if he was boxing out a lot , it's because he was usually going up himself to grab the rock.

I had high hopes for the project coming in seeing how weak the roster is with the limited number of back up forwards at his size, but the man was far more productive, energetic, and responsive on the defensive end than most people thought he would be when they wanted to throw him into random trades to make the dollars work.

He's a keeper.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:18 am    Post subject:

Conflicting views, I'll have to try to catch the next game
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject:

Am I crazy thinking. Gabriel should start at the 5???? His defense and energy is game changing!

defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Am I crazy thinking. Gabriel should start at the 5???? His defense and energy is game changing!

While I always endorse getting defensive guys in the line up, having Westbrook, Lebron and Davis next to Gabriel is asking for a disaster on offense.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

While I always endorse getting defensive guys in the line up, having Westbrook, Lebron and Davis next to Gabriel is asking for a disaster on offense.

I actually agree but they are already starting Jones which I disagree with. I prefer Thomas, but if they are going that route I’d rather have Gabriel than jones.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: