Ime Udoka Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
twisted wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
There is no way he comes back to coach the Celtics after this. This is about money, they want him to re-sign. He didn't. So they suspend him.

I heard that he'll stay on officially as the head coach. He'll just be designated as Out for Season (load management).

Am I the only one who got that?

I did too there's speculation he knocked one of these women up .. allegedly.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject:

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/09/23/ime-udoka-boston-celtics-suspension-brad-stevens-wyc-grousbeck

Quote:
Ime Udoka’s Suspension Clouds Celtics’ Future
Boston leadership declined to elaborate on the nature of Udoka’s suspension, doing little to clarify a murky situation for an NBA title favorite.

Wyc Grousbeck looked shaken. Brad Stevens, too. Hours after the Celtics announced a season-long suspension for Ime Udoka, an unprecedented punishment for what the franchise termed “a violation of team policies,” the two most powerful men in Boston’s organization struggled over the course of a 28-minute press conference to explain why Udoka was no longer a part of it.

“It was a long, thorough process,” said Stevens. “Obviously it’s been a hard time.”

The Celtics issued a terse, three-sentence statement announcing Udoka’s suspension on Thursday. On Friday, they revealed little more. Grousbeck declined to delve into the team’s investigation of Udoka, citing privacy reasons. He said the Celtics learned of an issue with Udoka over the summer and that the team has hired an outside legal firm to investigate. The investigation, Grousbeck said, “had some twists and turns” before revealing “a volume of violations.” He said Udoka’s suspension will run through June 30—but made no commitments to Udoka coming back.

“We haven’t made any decision about going forward,” Grousbeck said. “I don’t have a substantive answer to that.”

What a mess.

It’s impossible to overstate Udoka’s impact on the team’s success last season. He was the architect of the NBA’s top-rated defense. His pointed—and often public—criticisms were an energizing cudgel for a team that badly needed to be clobbered by one. Under Udoka, Jayson Tatum regained his All-NBA status, Grant Williams developed into a reliable rotation player and Marcus Smart won Defensive Player of the Year. Robert Williams III, after having his toughness questioned by Udoka early in the season, dragged an aching left knee around for two months in the playoffs.

The players deserve the bulk of the credit for Boston’s trip to the Finals. Udoka deserves plenty of it, too.

And now he’s gone.

Was a season-long suspension necessary? Grousbeck believes so. “I personally feel this is well-warranted and appropriate and backed by substantial research and facts,” he said.

Udoka’s violation, multiple sources told Sports Illustrated, was what Boston deemed an inappropriate relationship with a female staffer. But we don’t know how it started, how it ended or what happened to bring it to the front office’s attention—and how all of that may have impacted the punishment. The Celtics, for now, are not saying.

“I want to apologize to our players, fans, the entire Celtics organization, and my family for putting the team in this difficult situation,” Udoka said in a statement. “I accept the team’s decision. Out of respect for everyone involved, I will have no further comment.”

Ime Udoka
Udoka will miss the entire season after having an inappropriate relationship with a female staffer.

What was Udoka thinking? If nothing else, he had to know a relationship with a subordinate—and as head coach, anyone outside of the upper reaches of the front office is a subordinate—was dangerous. In a lengthy interview with SI last week, Udoka expressed excitement about the Celtics’ season. He raved about the addition of Malcolm Brogdon and opened up about the new wrinkles in the game plan he hoped would spark Boston’s late-game offense. “We want to hit the ground running,” Udoka told me. Now he has to wonder whether he will ever be back.

What were the Celtics thinking? This has hardly been a clinic on crisis management. ESPN, which aired Friday’s press conference under a flashing banner “UDOKA UNDER FIRE,” as if Udoka were taking heat for a five-game losing streak and not serious allegations of misconduct, first reported a Udoka problem Wednesday evening with The Athletic revealing key details—specifically the improper relationship with a staffer—hours later. A full day passed before Boston announced Udoka’s suspension, which allowed social media sleuths to ID every woman who works in the organization and baselessly connect several of them to the story. On Friday, Stevens’s voice cracked as he reflected on how the women working for the team have been treated.

“Nobody can control Twitter speculation, rampant bulls---,” said Stevens. “But I do think that we as an organization have a responsibility to make sure we’re there to support them now, because a lot of people were dragged unfairly into that.”

What, now, is Stevens thinking? The Celtics will name Joe Mazzulla interim head coach, Stevens confirmed. Mazzulla, 34, is considered a rising star in the coaching ranks, a candidate for the Jazz job last summer—a job that, ironically, went to Will Hardy, Udoka’s lead assistant—who played a key role in developing the Celtics’ defense last season. But Mazzulla is young, with three years of NBA coaching experience and two years as a head coach, at Division II Fairmont State, in the college ranks. Asking him to take over a title contender is a tall order.

Did Stevens consider coaching the team himself? Grousbeck said there was a discussion about it. “A brief one,” Grousbeck said. Stevens was more defiant. He called Mazzulla “the best choice by a long shot.” He said Mazzulla, who spent two seasons on Stevens’s staff, “is an exceptionally sharp and talented person.” As to Mazzulla’s own checkered past—he was arrested twice while in college at West Virginia, including once, in 2009, for domestic battery stemming from an incident at a bar—Stevens claimed to have no issues with Mazzulla’s character. "That shaped him into who he is today, and in a good way,” Stevens said. “He is 110% accountable for that. I believe in him.”

Still, the most qualified coach in Boston now is Stevens. He’s just a year removed from ending his own successful eight-year run on Boston’s bench. He knows the players. He knows the staff. As basketball minds go, Stevens is brilliant. Perhaps Stevens sees something in Mazzulla. Grousbeck called Mazzulla “passionate,” praising his energy. Stevens did hire Udoka, who was far from an obvious choice. But if the Celtics struggle early, the pressure will build for Stevens to rejoin the bench.

For months Boston has ranked among the betting favorites to win an NBA championship. It has been compared favorably to Milwaukee and Philadelphia, penciled into Finals matchups with the Warriors and Clippers. And maybe the team will still get there. But the Celtics who hoped to pick up where last season left off is in need of a new leader to steer them. Udoka was critical to Boston’s success last season. We’ll soon learn whether his absence will impact this one.

“This will be an unbelievable challenge,” Stevens said. “But I’m really confident in the team and coaching staff that’s going to take the court on Tuesday.”
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject:

The things I'm reading/hearing =
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Stephen A. Smith on Ime Udoka Story: ‘Plenty of White Folks in Professional Sports That’s Doing Their Thing’

https://www.complex.com/sports/stephen-a-smith-ime-udoka

Quote:
Stephen A. Smith is calling out the circumstances surrounding the alleged leaking of information regarding the potential suspension of Boston Celtics head coach Ime Udoka.

During an ESPN broadcast on Thursday, the First Take commentator spoke both to the nation at large and directly to the Celtics organization.

“Because I got news for you, America. There’s plenty of white folks in professional sports that’s doing their thing. And I say that not complimentarily,” Smith said, as seen in the viral clip below. “I don’t see the information out about them. Why we talking about this now?”
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
Stephen A. Smith on Ime Udoka Story: ‘Plenty of White Folks in Professional Sports That’s Doing Their Thing’

Quote:
Stephen A. Smith is calling out the circumstances surrounding the alleged leaking of information regarding the potential suspension of Boston Celtics head coach Ime Udoka.

During an ESPN broadcast on Thursday, the First Take commentator spoke both to the nation at large and directly to the Celtics organization.

“Because I got news for you, America. There’s plenty of white folks in professional sports that’s doing their thing. And I say that not complimentarily,” Smith said, as seen in the viral clip below. “I don’t see the information out about them. Why we talking about this now?”

They were all defending him on ESPN and social early on, but then MattyIce (Matt Barnes) rolled it back…

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Ci20GCgJtYR/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:46 am    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:

Quote:

SAS always finds ways to use the race card.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:

Quote:

Dude is too freaking stupid to realize that he is part of the problem
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject:

SAS has some really terrible takes and this is one of them.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
SAS has some really terrible takes and this is one of them.

He's not an advocate for Ukoda he's saying other coaches and executives have consensual sex with staff members but it's not made public. He's asking why was this incident made public.

Udoka committed an act that warrants firing, why was he suspended not fired? Something's missing, we're not getting all the facts.

SAS's an outspoken advocate for Blacks. I think it may be a reason ESPN pays him so much. He keeps the station relevant. IMO it's another part of his shtick.

Stephen is the Floyd Mayweather of sports talk show, he a person people love to hate and he's getting paid for it.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

Quote:

SAS always finds ways to use the race card.

That's his shtick. He has no filter. Why do you think ESPN allows that? It's a draw. He's doing what he's paid to do.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:06 pm    Post subject:

DELETED WRONG THREAD

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:43 pm    Post subject:

DELETED WRONG THREAD

Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject:

While this is rather trifling TMZ can know all this but not her identity

https://nypost.com/2022/09/24/celtics-staffer-who-had-affair-with-ime-udoka-made-travel-plans-for-nia-long/

Quote:
Celtics staffer who had affair with coach Ime Udoka made travel arrangements for fiancée Nia Long

The Celtics female staffer who had an affair with head coach Ime Udoka helped make his travel arrangements — and her job sometimes included doing the same for his fiancée Nia Long, according to a new report.

Sources told TMZ on Saturday the staffer’s duties included booking the now-suspended coach’s team-related travel and well as booking travel for his actress fiancée to attend home games in Boston and road games.

The staffer also allegedly helped arrange Long’s move to Boston about two weeks ago, and Long knows who she is, TMZ reported.

Udoka was suspended for the 2022-23 season for violating team policy, which was due to an inappropriate and consensual relationship with a female member of the Celtics staff.

The Celtics have not revealed the woman’s identity.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject:

https://www.aol.com/ime-udokas-affair-celtics-staff-164605208.html

Quote:
How Ime Udoka's Affair With Celtics Staff Member Was Exposed:

The high-profile affair scandal surrounding Boston Celtics' coach Ime Udoka is even more complicated than previously known.

A source tells ET that the unnamed female staff member with whom Udoka was involved was married, and their relationship was revealed due to the staffer's doorbell camera at her home.

The source says she took a call from Udoka outside her home and the doorbell camera picked up the conversation, exposing the affair.

The Boston Celtics coach has apologized after allegations surfaced in which he was accused of engaging in an intimate relationship with a female member of the team's staff. A relationship with the unnamed staff member is reportedly against the franchise's code of conduct. The 45-year-old has been suspended from the NBA for the entire 2022-2023 season.

Udoka has been engaged to Friday actress Nia Long for nearly a decade and they share a 10-year-old son, Kez, as well as Long's son, Massai, from a previous relationship.

The source tells ET that Long was blindsided by the cheating allegations. The source claims Nia knew the female staffer, had spoken to her multiple times and even worked with her after the Celtics had started their investigation.

The source tells ET that Long had no idea about the cheating until the Celtics announced Udoka’s suspension. Long recently moved to Boston, but is now packing up to leave in light of the affair and Udoka’s suspension from coaching.

ET has reached out to the Celtics organization for comment.

Udoka broke his silence on the situation on Friday.

"I want to apologize to our players, fans, the entire Celtics organization, and my family for letting them down," he said in a statement shared by ESPN's NBA Today host Malika Andrews. "I am sorry for putting the team in this difficult situation, and I accept the team's decision. Out of respect for everyone involved, I will have no further comment."
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Maybe there is/was a morals clause in his contract?

Not sure why "consensual sex" is such and outrage in this day and age...

I am happy to see any and everything negative happening to the Celtics though, still hate them...

A story that will generate traffic and revenue or so traditional media thinks so they ramp it.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject:

So Celtics media was rather interesting the players said they found out on Twitter like the rest of us.

If that's true
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Take it with a grain of salt but would explain the secrecy

https://twitter.com/ANotNormalLad1/status/1573496799540690945
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

That sounds about right. If they fire him they still have to pay him. Now he is sidelined and punished and away from the spotlight for a year.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

That sounds about right. If they fire him they still have to pay him. Now he is sidelined and punished and away from the spotlight for a year.

Plus would explain why her name isn't revealed and she's not being punished.. I'm sure he banged other women in that organization but that was probably the final straw. Knowing how NBA is a fraternity he'll never coach in the NBA again if true.

That being said the next Celtics coach is going to be incredibly unfortunate looking.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/robert-horry-says-ime-udokas-infidelity-scandal-isnt-comparable-phil-jackson-jeanie-buss-relationship

Quote:
Robert Horry says Ime Udoka's infidelity scandal isn't comparable to Phil Jackson-Jeanie Buss relationship

Ime Udoka is suspended for the 2022-23 season for having an affair with a female Boston Celtics staffer.

Not many know exactly what happened, but some believe that it's worse than the public knows.

Robert Horry of the Los Angeles Lakers looks up at the ball against the Rockets at Compaq Center on March 26, 2003, in Houston, Texas.
Robert Horry of the Los Angeles Lakers looks up at the ball against the Rockets at Compaq Center on March 26, 2003, in Houston, Texas. (Brian Bahr/Getty Images)

This isn't the first time a high-profile head coach was involved with a staffer on the team, however – Phil Jackson was engaged to Jeanie Buss for several years.

Jackson was never disciplined for being in a relationship with the Lakers' then-owner's daughter while he was their head coach. However, a former Lakers champion says the two situations aren't comparable.

Phil Jackson and Jeanie Buss attend a New York Knicks-Los Angeles Lakers game at Staples Center on March 12, 2015, in Los Angeles.
Phil Jackson and Jeanie Buss attend a New York Knicks-Los Angeles Lakers game at Staples Center on March 12, 2015, in Los Angeles. (Noel Vasquez/GC Images)

SHAQ STEERING CLEAR OF DISCUSSING IME UDOKA SCANDAL SINCE HE WAS A 'SERIAL CHEATER'

"I've had so many people come up to me and be like ‘Well, why Phil didn’t get kicked off the team when he was dating Jeanie Buss?' I'm like ‘Because he was dating Jeanie Buss,’" the seven-time champ said on his "Big Shot Bob" Podcast. "That may not be against their team policy. I'm pretty sure if Ime was a Laker and did what he did, that still would have been against team policy… But dating somebody and disclosing that, that's not against team policy."

Horry noted that Buss and Jackson both were fully transparent when their relationship began.

Jackson and Buss met in 1999 and started dating shortly thereafter. They got engaged in 2013 but called it off four years later. Jackson was the Lakers' head coach from 1999 to 2004, and again from 2005 to 2011.

Udoka has been in a relationship with actress Nia Long since 2010 – rumors circulated that the head coach was involved in an affair with a staffer who ran travel logistics for the team and made "unwanted comments" toward a woman he was in an affair with.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
The independent law firm probe into Boston Celtics coach Ime Udoka found that he used crude language in his dialogue with a female subordinate prior to the start of an improper workplace relationship with the woman, an element that significantly factored into his one-year suspension, sources told ESPN.

Those investigative findings -- which described verbiage on Udoka's part that was deemed especially concerning coming from a workplace superior -- contribute to what is likely a difficult pathway back to his reinstatement as Celtics coach in 2023, sources told ESPN.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject:

The leading theory, in my opinion, is Ime Udoka's camp leaked the affairs to the press in an effort to get ahead of the story that the affairs were "consensual" and there is no police investigation into criminal allegations. Still, there were elements of the affairs being "non-consensual" since it was a senior-junior work relationship.

The players are in support of Ime Udoka because of the culture around the league of players sleeping with dancers, etc. Most of the time this story would be taken care of in-house, it would not leak to the press. That's why the above is the leading theory.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

ChefLinda wrote:
If he had an affair with an executive's wife, you can be sure that executive will make sure he's gone permanently. You don't get suspended for a year just for having an affair with another employee. You get suspended then fired for screwing the boss's wife. Dumb *hit.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

ChefLinda wrote:
If he had an affair with an executive's wife, you can be sure that executive will make sure he's gone permanently. You don't get suspended for a year just for having an affair with another employee. You get suspended then fired for screwing the boss's wife. Dumb *hit.

Yep that's what I believe happened. I mean he's an idiot for doing that obviously but honestly crude language isn't the smoking gun people think it is. Especially since it could easily be "I want to (bleep) you on your husband's desk" its crude language.

Plus if its really that damning why not just release the text messages(if that happened people would figure out who it is which is what the Celtics don't want)

ETA: Doug Collins allegedly was fired in Chicago for a similar reason and still got coaching gigs elsewhere. Unless something worse comes out about Ime he could follow a similar path but he's black so maybe it will be even harder for him to get a job..
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:10 am    Post subject:

This sounds plausible if true Udoka literally (bleep) over the Celtics

https://mobile.twitter.com/khaled74/status/1576095639645016064
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: