Buying a car as an investment....thoughts???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Buying a car as an investment....thoughts???

https://palmsprings.craigslist.org/ctd/d/palm-desert-1966-ford-mustang-coupe/7536431297.html

'66 Mustang with a V-8 and only 11K miles. What if I bought this thing, enjoyed it for a few years and then sold it. Do you think it would appreciate? Or I could at least get my money back and basically drive it for free for a few years?

I would have thought a car like this would be worth a lot more than $16k. Any car guys out there know much about these Mustangs?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a car as an investment....thoughts???

buduan wrote:
https://palmsprings.craigslist.org/ctd/d/palm-desert-1966-ford-mustang-coupe/7536431297.html

'66 Mustang with a V-8 and only 11K miles. What if I bought this thing, enjoyed it for a few years and then sold it. Do you think it would appreciate? Or I could at least get my money back and basically drive it for free for a few years?

I would have thought a car like this would be worth a lot more than $16k. Any car guys out there know much about these Mustangs?

Mike would know better but I think a lot of iconic ICE vehicles are going to skyrocket in price once the EV revolution hits the big time.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject:

I'm not a car guy, but 11K miles at that price seems off. But maybe not. I feel like the prices of classic cars tend to come down during recessions, but generally are going to hold value over time.

You will want to look for rust issues, which from one of those pics I see what looks like rust in the door frame. According to the vin, this car was originally assembled in San Jose. Had the optional 200hp 289ci 2V V8...that's what they say is under the hood. But note that there are no pics of what's under the hood or under any part of it, actually, so probably rust issues there.

As for a daily driver...Back seat probably doesn't have seat belts if that's an issue. Front belts won't be over the shoulder like you are used to. Also, if you haven't driven these, it may not have power steering or power brakes (not enjoyable experience, imo). You may want to add that which will be more a little more $$$. Also, think about gas mileage. That will cost a bit if you are thinking of this as a daily driver.

Personally, if you haven't, I'd watch the Barret-Jackson car auctions. That will give you a wide range of Mustangs (and prices!), but I also think you can occasionally find Mustangs in this price range that are probably in much better shape. They tend to get those cars in really good shape for the auctions. 11K miles is good. But I'd trust that 100 times more from an auction house like that than Craig's List.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Values of cars like that can of course be tempting, but you shouldn't see it as an investment. One stupid guy on the streets is enough and your investment is trash, insurances are nothing I would trust.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject:

Looking at Auto Tempest for similar cars -- prices are all over the place:

https://www.autotempest.com/results?make=ford&model=mustang&zip=92688&localization=country&maxyear=1967&maxmiles=20000

The cars above are all 1967 or earlier, and 20K miles or less -- so other factors can make a huge difference. Buyer beware.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject:

That's too good to be true. If it is legit then you can make money on that car.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Got to agree with the "too good to be true" crowd. And I would never buy a classic car as a pure investment. The only way to make money is to find a rare gem, put some money and work into it and hope that it more than pays for itself, which isn't predictable or easy.

I would only buy a classic/collector car as a pursuit of passion—a vehicle you have always wanted to own and plan on keeping for the long term. That way you get that enjoyment of ownership. If by some chance parting with it later becomes lucrative, all the better.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject:

That one is too good to be true.

There's an uprising in cars from the 80s and 90s because of Radwood shows. Fun japanese cars are skyrocketing due to their reliability.

I'm not as clear on muscle/classic cars, because they all fluctuate for different reasons. I can only really speak for Porsche for multiple decades.

Just try to stick to everything original, manual transmission, rear wheel drive, and that's most of the formula. Clean title with 1 owner is the jackpot.

Chances are, that car isn't 11,000+ miles. Odometers were only 5 digits back then, so who knows how many times it has rolled over. Even the title can't verify the absolute accuracy of that.

If you want to see what clean(er) 80s and 90s cars look like, CarsandBids.com is the auction site to go to as a reference point.

If you want to see all sorts of crazy clean expensive cars, Bringatrailer.com.

But just to give everyone a heads up, the entire market has been cooling off for the past couple of months, slowly but surely. The pricey stuff now is the enthusiast stuff (I have a GR86 now), the GR-Corolla, Supra manual transmission, Civic Type R, Nissan Z are all expected to have large markups). Japanese, manual transmission.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Longo dealerships aren't doing any markups. My friend got a deposit on a Supra manual a few months back. I tried doing so but they stopped taking deposits. Just an fyi if someone is lokng for a GR Corolla (although those are probably spoken for at least a year out too).

Market is still pretty brutal but I'm definitely seeing a LOT of price cuts on listings like you said Mike.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:05 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Longo dealerships aren't doing any markups. My friend got a deposit on a Supra manual a few months back. I tried doing so but they stopped taking deposits. Just an fyi if someone is lokng for a GR Corolla (although those are probably spoken for at least a year out too).

Market is still pretty brutal but I'm definitely seeing a LOT of price cuts on listings like you said Mike.

I tried going through the same but it would have been a 6 month wait.

The fact they stopped taking deposits and the GR Corollas are spoken for says how hot the market is for the Japanese enthusiast cars, not so much for classics/muscle cars

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

The fact they stopped taking deposits and the GR Corollas are spoken for says how hot the market is for the Japanese enthusiast cars, not so much for classics/muscle cars

It's guys like us dude. Growing up in the 80s and 90s lusting after the cool Japanese cars of that era and now we're all grown up and mostly have the means to indulge. If I can score a manual Supra, it'll be the last ICE vehicle I'll ever own. I want to go back to a stick in the worse way.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject:

1966 Mustang with only 11k original miles and only selling for 16k? I would say it sounds too good to be true.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:48 pm    Post subject:

i think the fact its trying to be sold on craigslist is a red flag. A legit classic like that would be sold on an appropriate site.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject:

Looking at their site, they do have a lot of cars and a lot of them are priced at market value. Looks like the Mustang is sold. Maybe they put the mustang on craigslist to get you to come in so they can sell you something else.
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I made an appointment to go see it but they called me back and said it was sold.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

It's guys like us dude. Growing up in the 80s and 90s lusting after the cool Japanese cars of that era and now we're all grown up and mostly have the means to indulge. If I can score a manual Supra, it'll be the last ICE vehicle I'll ever own. I want to go back to a stick in the worse way.

Yep. I love my GR86.

buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject:

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/riverside-1966-ford-mustang-coupe-289-v8/7541095207.html

What do you guys think about this one? Does this have the qualities needed to appreciate in value at some point if I keep it garaged and only drive it occasionally? I have a manual scat pack that I daily, and I love that car. So I wouldn't need this to be a daily, just a cars and coffee weekend type of car.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject:

buduan wrote:
https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/riverside-1966-ford-mustang-coupe-289-v8/7541095207.html

What do you guys think about this one? Does this have the qualities needed to appreciate in value at some point if I keep it garaged and only drive it occasionally? I have a manual scat pack that I daily, and I love that car. So I wouldn't need this to be a daily, just a cars and coffee weekend type of car.

I guess it would depend on how this car was restored. If it was all original parts then I would say it's worth a lot more. But judging by the price, I would say the body panels are probably aftermarket resto parts and the engine was probably rebuilt at one point. At best you could probably get most of your money back since it's not too expensive. That's if you put very little miles on it.

Scatpack Challenger?
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
buduan wrote:

I guess it would depend on how this car was restored. If it was all original parts then I would say it's worth a lot more. But judging by the price, I would say the body panels are probably aftermarket resto parts and the engine was probably rebuilt at one point. At best you could probably get most of your money back since it's not too expensive. That's if you put very little miles on it.

Scatpack Challenger?

I would be thrilled if I could drive it for several years and get my money back. I've always wanted a 60's Mustang.

Yes, it's a Challenger. Just had a new throttle controller installed. Good times.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject:

buduan wrote:

I would be thrilled if I could drive it for several years and get my money back. I've always wanted a 60's Mustang.

Yes, it's a Challenger. Just had a new throttle controller installed. Good times.

Nice. Good times indeed. I drive a 20 Mustang GT. I think we're driving the wrong cars with the gas prices these days though. LOL.
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
buduan wrote:

Nice. Good times indeed. I drive a 20 Mustang GT. I think we're driving the wrong cars with the gas prices these days though. LOL.

Is that the 10 speed? I've been wanting to try that out, I heard it keeps pulling and pulling the faster you go.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject:

buduan wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
buduan wrote:

Is that the 10 speed? I've been wanting to try that out, I heard it keeps pulling and pulling the faster you go.

I have the manual. I test drove both before buying mine and the 10 speed auto was insane but overall fun just wasn't there for me. All my life my personal cars have been manuals. It's just so much more fun to drive.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Yep. I love my GR86.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a39764688/graham-rahal-123-mile-honda-s2000-cr-for-sale/

Son of a gun. Pristine 123 mile S2000 CR just sold for $122K. Lawd!!!
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Yep. I love my GR86.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a39764688/graham-rahal-123-mile-honda-s2000-cr-for-sale/

That is insane. But it is a practically brand new CR.

On a side note, S2000 is a car that definitely holds its value. Back in 2015 I bought a 03 S2000 for $14500. It had 80,000 miles on it. Drove it for 5 years/45,000 miles and I ended up selling it for $14000.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:50 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Yep. I love my GR86.

That is insane. But it is a practically brand new CR.

On a side note, S2000 is a car that definitely holds its value. Back in 2015 I bought a 03 S2000 for $14500. It had 80,000 miles on it. Drove it for 5 years/45,000 miles and I ended up selling it for $14000.

Oh man, I had a 2003 Ap1 that I sold in 2007 (for an Z4 M Coupe). I kid you not...low 30K in miles and I got a whopping 15K for it. People simply didn't care for the car until it got end of life. Blue book was like 20K (at the time) but I got literally no bites. Sold the set of Volk forged rims for half the price I paid for it. This was back when I used to be into installing audio systems. I was sponsored (just free gear really) by Lotus Seas and had a bad ass IASCA caliber SQ system set up. Spent many weekends working on it. New buyer was a kid around 20 years old. That system probably would have been 3-4K with the install. Kid got REAL lucky.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: