What docs have you been watching?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Watched the first episode of Kamau Bell's "We Need to Talk About Cosby.".

I also watched the 4 episodes. I guess it was a decent documentary, but not an enjoyable watch. If true, the guy was basically a monster for his entire career. On thing I found surprising was how many of the females claim that he actually gave them the pills and they took them. I was under the impression it was almost always a spiked drink or something.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

I also watched the 4 episodes. I guess it was a decent documentary, but not an enjoyable watch. If true, the guy was basically a monster for his entire career. On thing I found surprising was how many of the females claim that he actually gave them the pills and they took them. I was under the impression it was almost always a spiked drink or something.

Wow that’s interesting. Wonder how that went. “Would you like some melatonin?”
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:32 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
adkindo wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

From what I recall it often involved a situation where a younger female that was probably naïve needed to "lower some anxiety" and trusted the public image of Bill Cosby. I do not recall it informing on where he continued to get Quaaludes after the mid '80's when they were taken off the market in the US.....it supposedly was his chosen drug to use.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject:

Just finished "Red Army" which tells the story of the players from the Soviet hockey team that competed in the 1980 Olympics.

I don't know much about hockey but I found it interesting to hear their stories and get a glimpse of what it was like for athletes who trained and competed for the former Soviet Union.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:23 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
Night Stalker on Netflix.

Boy, does it take me back. I remember Ramirez's run through East LA and the SGV that summer. It was hotter than hell and not being able to open the windows that summer SUCKED.

Yeah I watched this doc last year. Really liked it.

I commented on a bunch of Netflix docs I have watched recently on the TV thread, but I should have put it on this thread. I won't post that again, but the ones I mentioned recently seeing were The Devil Next Door, The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann, Amanda Knox, The Staircase, and Misha And The Wolves. I enjoyed all of them.

Do you think lovely Amanda did it? I can't see it given her demeanor. But that can be a facade. There are cases of women contributing to murder that is perpetrated by their man. Karla Homolka is the most disturbing. Total sociopath herself.

If I had to bet, I'd say Amanda is innocent, and the case was never close to being proved beyond a reasonable doubt, despite the original conviction. But hey, evidence and the law don't seem to be the guiding principle for many a jury and/or judges.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:29 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Just finished "Red Army" which tells the story of the players from the Soviet hockey team that competed in the 1980 Olympics.

I don't know much about hockey but I found it interesting to hear their stories and get a glimpse of what it was like for athletes who trained and competed for the former Soviet Union.

That's a great sports doc. A nice companion to that would also be the Russian Five doc which details when those soviet players started deflecting after the fall of the USSR. Mostly talks about the Russian guys that played for the Red Wings in the early to mid 90s and all that they went through in order to leave their home country. It's not as good as the Red Army, but it's worth a watch.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:00 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

That's a great sports doc. A nice companion to that would also be the Russian Five doc which details when those soviet players started deflecting after the fall of the USSR. Mostly talks about the Russian guys that played for the Red Wings in the early to mid 90s and all that they went through in order to leave their home country. It's not as good as the Red Army, but it's worth a watch.

Those Red Wings teams of the 90's/early 2000's were just unreal. Maybe the best collection of talent in the NHL during my lifetime, and that includes those 80's Oilers teams with Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Coffey, Fuhr, etc. Those Red Wings teams had 11 Hall Of Famers on teams that won Cups in 1997, 1998, and 2002, plus a 12th if you count the GOAT coach, Scotty Bowman. Those Oilers teams had 7 HOF players, by the way: the five I listed, plus Glenn Anderson and Kevin Lowe. You could include an 8th by adding coach Glen Sather.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:57 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Snipes wrote:
adkindo wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

From what I recall it often involved a situation where a younger female that was probably naïve needed to "lower some anxiety" and trusted the public image of Bill Cosby. I do not recall it informing on where he continued to get Quaaludes after the mid '80's when they were taken off the market in the US.....it supposedly was his chosen drug to use.

I remember model Beverly Johnson saying that he drugged her unsuspectingly, but she was worldly/astute and knew he had drugged her and she told him, "You MFer...." She said he was taken aback by the comment probably because he had never heard it before and he realized he finally got one who instantly realized his game and after more heated flings, she somehow got out of there. Iirc, he arranged for her to make a hasty exit because he didn't want to deal with someone who was both physically helpless and innocent or unstreetwise enough to not instantly recognize what was happening to them.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Boeing on Netflix, didn’t expect it to be good but it is, started with the Lion air crash and opened up everything, go watch it

Yes, I watched this in part on your recommendation and found it fascinating but of course disturbing.

What a sad thing to see Boeing's decline as a company as depicted in this, don't want to give spoilers but if you haven't seen it, I would check it out and see what you think.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:43 pm    Post subject:

Saw a bit of a recent/new one on Morton Downey, Jr. He lived in Trump Tower in his heyday of 2-3 years. Not surprised they were pals. I totally forgot Morton's Jussie Smollett attempt in 89. He claimed he got jumped by skinheads in a SF airport restroom and he drew all screwed up swastikas on his face, shirt, and pants. None of them even looked like one because he was drawing them upside down on his clothes and in reverse in the mirror. He also buzzcuted his head up.

I think the entire world forgot about that one because I don't ever recall being reminded of it by a CNN/MSNBC anchor or by anyone else here during the entire Smollet thing. At the time, he was being likened to Tawanna Brawley. That was the end of his show, he lasted 2 years because he was an insufferable prick who couldn't get sponsors and who (along w/ his audience) trolled every political guest who was on early never to return. He had Allred, Sharpton, Dersh, Ron Paul, etc. The camera loving talking heads, but even they stopped showing up and his show tanked in less than 2 years of him becoming a known name. I didn't know he got his start by going on Wally George and out-wallying him in order to put his name on the map of conservative shockjock/host yucks. I thought Wally was the original, but apparently there was one in the late 60s of that mold, they showed a clip of it. Obviously not as wild as the 80s guys, but a show w/ a conservative host questioning beatniks, hippies, etc.

I remember him becoming quieter and he dropped the belligerence after he got the terminal cancer diagnosis. One of those bastards who couldn't recover from that kick in the nuts. He went on public service ads telling adults not to smoke, etc. I vaguely recalled seeing him on CNN Larry King towards the end. He looked gaunt and I wondered if he ever had private moments wishing he wasn't such an ahole. Some of those older guys who were Type As get more emotional as they age and start feeling sorry after they realize they pushed their fams/friends away. Kind of like Eastwood in Gran Torino. He died in 2001.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Re-watched a great documentary on Ali based on his opponents' recollections. Called "Facing Ali" (2009). It's currently free on YT.

Reason I think this one is a very important docu is because they got a lot of his opponents before they died. List is:

Henry Cooper (dead)
George Chuvalo (Mikey from The Fly, arm wrestling snap scene)
Ernie Terrell (dead)
Joe Frazier (dead)
Ken Norton (dead)
George Forman
Ron Lyle (dead)
Earnie Shavers (dead)
Leon Spinks (dead)
Larry Holmes

To me, that's akin to why the Library of Congress has "The Blues Brothers" in their essential movies list. It's because it got Ray Charles, Aretha, James Brown, John Lee Hooker, and Cab Calloway in it while they were still alive. This docu also treats all of the boxers w/ dignity and they go into some of their interesting backstories. That includes Spinks who wasn't especially camera friendly like the rest of the gents. But they didn't shy away from him. They all got to talk about their appreciation of Ali save for Frazier who got the worst of Ali's meanness and psychological warfare. Joe was an easy target as an apolitical black man in that era, but he was an earnest and honorable man, making Ali's stuff hurt him for the rest of his life. But they go into that among other stories about some of those guys that wouldn't have been talked about at all if not for Ali as Ron Lyle stated.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Recently watched “How to change your mind”. Really interesting stuff.

Anyone have positive/negative experiences with psychedelics?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:54 am    Post subject:

Saw one from 2020 called "The Delicacy". It's rentable thru YT. It was about sea urchin gonads, principally (uni), but it turned into more of a human interest story of the divers, a restaurant biz story, a rape of nature story, and a gruesome white shark incident. It was more engrossing than I thought it would be. Did a historical sweep of the near extinction of otters for pelts, then the near extinction of abalones, then the current hit to kelp from invasive urchins. Sushi people or restaurant peeps might get it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10
Jump to: