Nick Young-Your thoughts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Nick Young-Your thoughts

Quote:

NBA Comparison: Josh Howard
Strengths: Young is a throwback player who really understands how to employ the mid-range jumper … Ball handling ability is above average … Will use a number of spins, hesitation moves and crossovers to gain separation for his pull-up jumper … When he moves without the ball he shows solid ability to work off screens and convert catch and shoot plays … Creative player who makes even the most difficult shots look easy … Has three point range on his jump shot … Not a bad finisher when he drives to the basket … Has an good set of physical tools to be a competent defender on the next level with long arms, size and decent athleticism … Possesses an solid understanding of the game and is very fundamentally sound … Post up skills are advanced as he welcomes the opportunity to shoot his turnaround jumper … Defensively when motivated Young can be a real force playing the passing lanes for easy steals … Fearless player with a great deal of confidence in his ability … An above average rebounder for his position thanks to his long arms …

Quote:
Weaknesses: Goes through periods in the game where he will settle for the jumper instead of driving to the basket and drawing fouls … Doesn’t get to the line as much as he should because of this … Doesn’t always maintain a high level of intensity on defense … Some questions have been raised as to weather he has the killer instinct and toughness to consistently compete … He isn’t a mind blowing athlete, but above average … Has a bad habit of standing around at times instead of moving without the ball … When guarded by a great athlete Young lacks the explosive first step needed to get full separation from his defender … Could stand to work on adding more upper body strength to his frame as he doesn’t always finish after contact … While he has three-point range he can go through periods of inconsistency … Defensively he has a bad habit of reaching for steals instead of concentrating on his footwork … Often Young can get himself into foul trouble …

Is he good for the triangle? What can he do for the triangle? Is he what the lakers need?Is the earth round?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject:

Read the weaknesses. It's the exact opposite of a triangle fit.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Quack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject:

What team does does he fit mike, and if hes not a tri guard what player(s) are?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject:

Phoenix. Dallas. Orlando.

BPA regardless of system fit.

jwbrown77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject:

I wish there was a way we could get Corey Brewer.
Quack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject:

jwbrown77 wrote:

Well, you could always trade kobe for his rights
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject:

I say no to Nick Young, but I am very high on Marcus Willaims from AZ.

Guy can score, he has size (6'7") to be a big guard in the triangle and he is shooting 54% from from the field!!!!!!! in the Pac Ten that means something. He is a natrual scorer- he could be really nice to help take the pressure off of Kobe.

Best thing about him? He might actually be around in the late teens where the Lakers will be picking.

I would LOVE to get C-Brew but he is Lotto baby.
The Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject:

I like Nick Youngs game and wouldn't mind if the Lakers picked him up. People have to remember that explosive first steps really aren't as important in the NBA today as they are in college. As long as you are a crafty dribbler and have a respectable shot you can drive in the NBA. The guy isn't going to be a superstar or anything, but he would be a good player to come off the bench, although we have more dire needs than pg/sg that need to be addressed in the draft. The thing I like about Young most of all is his smoothness. The guy is pretty crafty with his dribbling and always looks really under control when he plays. Like I said, we definetley have far greater needs than shooting guard, but considering we would be drafting in the #20 range we can't really expect to get too many players better than Young at that spot.
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject:

I think Nick Young is more offensively capable than Aaron Afflalo, who in no way deserved Pac-10 player of the year. Consider that they are both similar players, average the same PPG, but Young shoots 54 percent, Afflalo 47 percent. Defensively, Young isn't as bad as the scouting report says. He's a pretty good defender.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
People have to remember that explosive first steps really aren't as important in the NBA today as they are in college

It goes beyond just blowing by a defender. Lateral quickness? Beating someone to the ball? Rebounding position? Initiating fast breaks?

Sorry. Sasha's first step is crap. Average ball-handler. How often does he get to the FT line? How often does he even drive to the basket?

Unless the guard has elite size by position, 6'10"+, quickness matters.

mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
People have to remember that explosive first steps really aren't as important in the NBA today as they are in college

It goes beyond just blowing by a defender. Lateral quickness? Beating someone to the ball? Rebounding position? Initiating fast breaks?

Sorry. Sasha's first step is crap. Average ball-handler. How often does he get to the FT line? How often does he even drive to the basket?

Unless the guard has elite size by position, 6'10"+, quickness matters.

I think the key is for basketball players to learn how to get away with shuffling their feet before they go to the basket. That's how the Wades and LBJs get away with it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Kobe24Dynasty
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject:

I'll take Corey Brewer or Marcus Williams.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:

I think the key is for basketball players to learn how to get away with shuffling their feet before they go to the basket. That's how the Wades and LBJs get away with it.

But these guys aren't Wade or James with that kind of respect.

It's really not all footwork. Think about sprinting. The quickest way to generate quick propulsion isn't just shuffling their feet, they literally stomp on the ground as quick as possible.

NBA players just do that with a basketball, and not quite so straight.

The Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

But these guys aren't Wade or James with that kind of respect.

It's really not all footwork. Think about sprinting. The quickest way to generate quick propulsion isn't just shuffling their feet, they literally stomp on the ground as quick as possible.

NBA players just do that with a basketball, and not quite so straight.

You have to remember that we wouldn't be drafting Young in the lottery or some place where elite talent is abundant. If we did draft him it would most likley be in the mid-late 1st round. IMO he would be worth a pick at that spot. The Lakers don't have any needs that can really be fixed or completley addressed in this draft so we have a lot of options.

I also think Young's athleticism is underrated. A lot of people take him for being slow or sluggish, but to me I see that as more of being undercontrol. Just because you don't see him running around the court like his hair is on fire doesn't mean he isn't athletic. Is he a Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, caliber athlete? Not even close, but he is athletic enough to play in this league, IMO.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject:

It's a misconception that great athletes are only in the lottery.

See Parker, Ginobili, Arenas, Kirilenko, etc.

mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject:

I am really beginning to like Nick Young, if he comes out. I've watched SC all year long and Young has been the most consistent player... he won't have 4 points in a tourney game like some Pac-10 player of the year from across town. One thing I like about Young is that he is a pretty smart ball player. If he is there when the Lakers pick in the 20s, I'd say he'd be a pretty good pickup.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject:

He...bores...me. I just don't see "it" with him. Seems like the kind of player you could sign with half of your MLE or something. Why spend a draft pick on that?

He's got his nice little turnaround and can hit from the perimeter and everything, but I just never see him impose his will on the opponent. At least the games I've seen this year...today's massacre included.
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject:

ballerxj wrote:
jwbrown77 wrote:

Well, you could always trade kobe for his rights

Better yet, the Lakers could play the final 19 games the way they have played their last 14.

OJ Mayo
Derrick Rose
Nicolas Batum
Michael Beasley
Chase Budinger
Darrell Arthur
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: