The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1826, 1827, 1828 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:01 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Facts over Opinions (@) FunFactsnStats

* LeBron's dominance is on another level.
https://twitter.com/FunFactsnStats/status/1528712478552645632

The man has incredible lifetime stats. To be applauded.

Yet the only thing that matters is playoff wins next season and the one after and forever long he remains in Laker uniform getting paid max dollars as the cornerstone leader of the Laker team.

Why not start the count with 21-22 season: 0
Season 22-23: ?

So "the only thing that matters is playoff wins next season and the one after?"

Yet, you want to start the count from a season that isn't part of what matters, 2021-22.

If you're doing that, why not start the count at 2020-21 or 2019-20. (Just kidding -- we all know why you don't want to start the count there.)

Your agenda is showing.

Curious what you think my mysterious “agenda” is? Maybe you can explain your “agenda”.

My selection of the last year was in reference to current stats not lifetime achievements. Start with any year you desire. I have never wavered from my opinions that the Championship and James’ career should be celebrated.

Only that at some point the decline due to accumulated mpg reduces James’ impact and ability to “carry” a team as he has done throughout his career. I have also been consistent with his impact as a team builder and influence on the teams he chooses. Arguably his off court influence ranges from the reason his teams win to a full blown circus when assets and egos have been exhausted.

IMO the Lakers and James have reached that point. I understand many do not agree. I am more of a pragmatic “what have you done for me lately” sports fan.

James has spent his career being a mercenary. He is in the conversation for GOAT. But his career accomplishments are not enough for me to continue on this this path of mediocrity as he declines and has less and less impact as the centerpiece of a team. Especially if he insists on $48m extensions!

My “agenda” remains pretty consistent. The James run has gone pretty much as I expected when he signed. One Championship and a decline. And as with every other career stop, a whole lot of passive aggressive social media circus as James/ Klutch / Lakers navigate the needs of his Retirement Tour at the cost of being competitive.

My “agenda” remains the same. It has been a nice run. Both parties benefited from the partnership. Time to trade James while he still has value. Next season will be a fiasco if they give him his max extension or worse, he signs elsewhere as a free agent and the Lakers get nothing.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject:

https://hoopshype.com/lists/ranking-top-25-small-forwards-2022-23-season-lebron-giannis-kawhi-butler/

LeBron James (LA Lakers)

Nick Turchiaro-USA TODAY Sports

A complete mess of a season by the Los Angeles Lakers shouldn’t distract from the fact that LeBron James remains one of the NBA’s top players.

His raw statistics – 30.3 points, 8.2 rebounds, 6.2 assists, 1.3 steals and 1.1 blocks on 52.4 percent shooting – were preposterous while the advanced metrics – fifth in BPM, fifth in VORP and fourth in PER – rated him as one of the best players in the league.

The thing is, such high expectations are placed on both James and the Lakers that even a 30/8/6 campaign gets overlooked.

So how did we end up with James at fourth overall? It might seem low and could easily be made to look bad by the end of the 2022-23 season, but we simply expect bigger things out of the next three players on this list.

Plus, heading into his Age-38 campaign, Father Time has to catch up to James at some point… right?
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
https://hoopshype.com/lists/ranking-top-25-small-forwards-2022-23-season-lebron-giannis-kawhi-butler/

LeBron James (LA Lakers)

A complete mess of a season by the Los Angeles Lakers shouldn’t distract from the fact that LeBron James remains one of the NBA’s top players.

His raw statistics – 30.3 points, 8.2 rebounds, 6.2 assists, 1.3 steals and 1.1 blocks on 52.4 percent shooting – were preposterous while the advanced metrics – fifth in BPM, fifth in VORP and fourth in PER – rated him as one of the best players in the league.

The thing is, such high expectations are placed on both James and the Lakers that even a 30/8/6 campaign gets overlooked.

So how did we end up with James at fourth overall? It might seem low and could easily be made to look bad by the end of the 2022-23 season, but we simply expect bigger things out of the next three players on this list.

Plus, heading into his Age-38 campaign, Father Time has to catch up to James at some point… right?

Truly amazing stats. Being rated so high and the complimentary narrative only makes me feel a trade would benefit the Lakers in the long run.

Such praise should only increase his trade value to near Durant or Gobert trade packages. Right?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject:

You can't trade LBJ without his approval. Simply won't happen.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

LeBron James (LA Lakers)

Father time has been catching up, he misses more games than he ever did and spends very little time playing defense. Not unusual for an almost 38 year old.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
You can't trade LBJ without his approval. Simply won't happen.

I think that he ends any meaningful part of his career here. Of course I never thought he would come here so don’t listen to me.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject:

That list is such a joke. Tatum is not the best SF in the league. Kawhi Leonard isn't better than Lebron James. And I'd comfortably take Lebron over KD, even at their respective ages.

Lebron's been passed up by talented bigs and maybe Luka Doncic, and that's pretty much the only people I'd put ahead of him.

Opinions are like ..., I suppose.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
That list is such a joke. Tatum is not the best SF in the league. Kawhi Leonard isn't better than Lebron James. And I'd comfortably take Lebron over KD, even at their respective ages.

Lebron's been passed up by talented bigs and maybe Luka Doncic, and that's pretty much the only people I'd put ahead of him.

It's not like they are slamming Lebron. They say the top 6 SFs are superstars, and they name Lebron #4. They say he's this low only because they think the top 3 guys will have better seasons, but they could wrong.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Yahoo Sports’ Chris Haynes:
The quest to continue racking up championships starts with the Lakers’ best player: LeBron James.

James and his agent Rich Paul — CEO of Klutch Sports — met with Pelinka and head coach Darvin Ham last week. The 37-year-old is approaching his 19th season in the league. He is due for a two-year, $97.1 million extension.

And while contract dialogue was broached, the majority of the hour-long meeting was about expressing concerns and hearing out strategies and opinions to assure there wouldn’t be a repeat of last season’s epic failure, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

James, sources said, drilled home the importance of consistent competitiveness and cohesion, noting that last season’s team didn’t give themselves a chance on many nights. The focus for the future Hall of Famer is competing every night in order to give themselves a chance to compete for a championship.

Ham agreed with James and reiterated that his main objectives are to hold everyone accountable and foster an atmosphere of selflessness, sources said. He voiced that defensive tenacity needs to be picked up all across the roster and also forewarned that players would have to play new roles and if he sensed reluctance, he wouldn’t hesitate to remove them from the game, sources said.

Furthermore, the first-year head coach said one wrinkle he will implement and stick with is having the offense run through Anthony Davis, and James concurred, sources said. The team has been encouraged with Davis’ offseason progression and believe he’ll be in optimum shape to avoid serious injuries and carry a heavier load.

The team is also hopeful for a corner-3 shooting percentage bump from Russell Westbrook next season, sources said.

As for roster tinkering, Pelinka explained patience will be key in any potential moves the team makes, sources said. In a collaborative effort, all parties appear to be aligned on a common vision of seeing how the roster plays out before any drastic moves are sought.

James is finalizing a destination to host the team’s annual minicamp prior to training camp, with San Diego being the likely landing space over Las Vegas, sources said. He’s hoping to build a better rapport with teammates before entering the 2022-23 season.

The meeting was deemed productive and informative.

Pelinka made his feelings clear that he wants James to retire as a Laker and promised to provide him with every resource possible to compete for a championship each year he’s with the organization, sources said.

https://sports.yahoo.com/inside-lebron-james-meeting-with-lakers-front-office-darvin-ham-offensive-plan-rob-pelinka-roster-patience-014115495.html

drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:49 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:

He'll have to prove them wrong this season then. If he can't then age has finally caught up to him. Happens to everyone. We'll see I guess
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:21 am    Post subject:

Via Lakers Daily:

“Former NBA star Gilbert Arenas recently claimed that Los Angeles Lakers veteran LeBron James is the only superstar who hasn’t chased stats at some point in his career.

“‘I said, “LeBron is probably the only player, the only superstar that never had that year,'” Arenas explained. ‘He never had that year where he says, “Eh, frick everybody. I’m trying to get my stats.” Because I said, “If he ever did that, who’s stopping him?” That man would average 40-something. … When LeBron stepped in, it was all about trying to win a championship. Every year, trying to win a championship, so he’s been building the teams to try to win championships, so he’s never actually had a selfish year where he says, “I don’t need anybody. I want to show the world what I can do.”‘”
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:44 am    Post subject:

From HoopsHype:

Quote:
Ric Bucher: LeBron James apparently is in the pole position, to be the owner of the Las Vegas expansion franchise, when Las Vegas and Seattle which I’m told is going to happen as soon as the next TV deals are in place, that those franchises are going to be added to the equation, which has a whole lot of repercussions including the timing of when LeBron decides to step aside and become an owner, rather than a player. – via Apple Podcasts

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:08 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
From HoopsHype:

Quote:
Ric Bucher: LeBron James apparently is in the pole position, to be the owner of the Las Vegas expansion franchise, when Las Vegas and Seattle which I’m told is going to happen as soon as the next TV deals are in place, that those franchises are going to be added to the equation, which has a whole lot of repercussions including the timing of when LeBron decides to step aside and become an owner, rather than a player. – via Apple Podcasts

As long as it's after his 1+1 aka Bronny timeline, we good
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
From HoopsHype:

Quote:

He could be a minority owner, he doesn’t have the billions a franchise team will have to pay.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
From HoopsHype:

Quote:

He could be a minority owner, he doesn’t have the billions a franchise team will have to pay.

Sure. He would probably be the face of a consortium.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject:

drae wrote:
levon wrote:

He'll have to prove them wrong this season then. If he can't then age has finally caught up to him. Happens to everyone. We'll see I guess

So Kawhi gets to catch up and surpass him by sitting on the couch? This is another instance of players being evaluated based on their own standards, not each other. Tatum surpassed expectations of Tatum, and thus he gets bolstered. Lebron didn't surpass his own expectations as the GOAT, so now "age is catching up". Kevin Durant gets to get swept in the first round with an awful showing and still get placed higher. I bet if that happened to Lebron he'd be listed at #8 with age nipping at his heels.

These lists have absolutely no consistent logic to them, between lists or within lists. Has to be one of the dumbest forms of basketball content.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
From HoopsHype:

Quote:

He could also be a majority owner. Depends on his savvy. Al Davis put no money into the Raiders, he just found partners who were comfortable with him being the GP.

Assuming a franchise fee of $2.0 billion, LeBron could probably borrow $750+ million on his own. Raising the $1.25 billion in investors/partners will then depend on LeBron's desire to kowtow to the old boy network. MY ASSUMPTION is that the league has a list of deep pocketed folks who want to buy in and are pre-vetted. A decently managed major sports team appreciates at a ridiculous rate, so it's a perfect place to stash a few hundred million.

Magic Johnson bought his stake in the Lakers for $10 million and sold it 15 years later for $50 million - a 500% increase. In the 12 years that Soon-Shiong has owned it, that piece has increased in value another 500%. You cannot beat that kind of growth.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
He could also be a majority owner. Depends on his savvy. Al Davis put no money into the Raiders, he just found partners who were comfortable with him being the GP.

Al Davis was not the majority owner until late in his life. When he took control of the team, one of the other partners sued him. I guess that set the pattern for the rest of his tenure.

Anyway, I sort of doubt that Lebron really wants to run the day-to-day operations of an NBA team. I can imagine him looming in the background, like what you see with MJ in Charlotte.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
From HoopsHype:

Quote:

With probably more involvement than Magic has with the Dodgers.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject:

LeBron James will be the last Laker to ever wear #6
    The NBA will retire the No. 6 league-wide honoring the late, legendary player and activist Bill Russell, per @NBAPR

Players who currently wear No. 6 — such as LeBron James — will be grandfathered.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
From HoopsHype:

Quote:

Oh, a lot more. He might have a title like CEO or Chairman or the like. He might even decide that he wants to be hands-on with the day-to-day operations, though I really can't imagine him wanting to be the GM. He might surprise me, though.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
From HoopsHype:

Quote:

Oh, a lot more. He might have a title like CEO or Chairman or the like. He might even decide that he wants to be hands-on with the day-to-day operations, though I really can't imagine him wanting to be the GM. He might surprise me, though.

Lebron and Magic are the polar opposite when it comes to being hands-on. I think Lebron would want to be in on every decision. Magic likes to let others do the work while he pontificates in front of cameras and microphones.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Al Davis was not the majority owner until late in his life. When he took control of the team, one of the other partners sued him. I guess that set the pattern for the rest of his tenure.

Anyway, I sort of doubt that Lebron really wants to run the day-to-day operations of an NBA team. I can imagine him looming in the background, like what you see with MJ in Charlotte.

I mixed examples. Davis wasn't the majority owner, but he became managing general partner without having a majority stake.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

I mixed examples. Davis wasn't the majority owner, but he became managing general partner without having a majority stake.

Davis was a weird situation. In 1972, he was one of three partners. One the partners was the managing partner. When that guy went to the Olympics, Davis got the other partner to sign a document putting him in charge. The first partner sued over that but lost because of the way California law was written at the time.

That was an unusual and rare example. Not sure if there are any other managing partners who own a minority share in an NBA franchise. (Jeanie doesn't own a minority share herself, but she represents the Buss family which does.)
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:16 pm    Post subject:

I have nothing against LeBron owning an NBA team, but I don't think any new teams should be added. It would dilute the talent around the league, which would lead to a drop in the quality of play.

It has taken so many years for the quality of play to return to a really high level. The last thing we need is to interfere with that.

Just move an existing team to Vegas and Seattle.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1826, 1827, 1828 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next
Page 1827 of 2079
Jump to: