THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3354, 3355, 3356 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject:

CNN

(Senator responds to Lindsey Graham's threat about bill)

Quote:
Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ) indicated she would "move forward" on the Democrats' massive economic package. Sen. Angus King (I-ME) sits down with CNN's John Avlon and Brianna Keilar to explain the impact he believes this bill will have on Americans.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject:

CNN

(Hear Eric Holder's prediction about the DOJ possibly indicting Trump)

Quote:
Former US Attorney General Eric Holder weighed in on whether the Justice Department’s January 6th criminal investigation will result in an indictment for former President Donald Trump.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject:

The Majority Report w/ Sam Seder

(‘Do It For The Saudi Royal Family!’ LIV Golfer Phil Mickelson Brutally Heckled Mid-Swing)

Quote:
TMR favorites @Good Liars gave LIV golfer Phil Mickelson some words of encouragement during his backswing at Trump’s golf course last week.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Alex Jones ordered to pay Sandy Hook victim's parents $45.2MM in punitive damages.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject:

And there are two more cases to go with potentially a larger number than $45 million.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Apparently according to Texas law, there is a $750K cap on punitive damages.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Hey DMR:
Quote:

b-boy bouiebaisse
@jbouie
not gonna lie, i would watch a 45 minute CBS procedural about the tax police

Tax police is gaining momentum!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Regarding the Texas punitive damages cap, this lawyer for the plaintiff had some mighty interesting things to say:

https://twitter.com/averytravistv/status/1555692735906349057
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject:

MSNBC

(Fox News Tries To Spin Good Jobs Report Into Bad News)

Quote:
“If you work at Fox and you just spent the morning telling your audience that the report was going to be terrible and the economy is in shambles, what do you do?” says Mehdi Hasan. “Well, apparently you find a way to spin a really good jobs report into bad news.”
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:31 pm    Post subject:

MSNBC

(Abortion Could Be The Key To Midterm Voter Turnout | Zerlina.)

Quote:
After a big win in Kansas to maintain abortion rights, Adrienne Elrod and Olivia Julianna discuss the role reproductive rights could play in the midterms.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject:

MSNBC

(One Of The ‘Worst People In Modern American Politics’ Just Made A Great Point)

Quote:
Mehdi Hasan: “If the man who was once dubbed the ‘prince of darkness’ and his right-wing daughter—if Dick and Liz say the Republican Party has gone off the rails, just think about how extreme that make must the GOP right now.”
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject:

The Majority Report w/ Sam Seder

(Tucker Carlson’s Beef With Jon Stewart Ends In Humiliation For Fox Host)

Quote:
Fox News’ Steven Crowder makes fun of Jon Stewart’s looks, to which Stewart responds on Twitter. The Majority Report talks about how Carlson and Swetart have had a long ongoing beef and how Carlson is only brave enough to say it on his program, but most likely not to Stewart’s face.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Alex Felker

(Jon Stewart on Crossfire)

Quote:
This is the reason CNN's Crossfire is no longer on the air. Jon Stewart shows up these two ignorant political show hosts... 2 against 1, on their own show, and brings to light how these shows "Hurt America." Thank you Jon for always pointing out political hypocrisy. I hope continuing to broadcast this video helps your voice continue to be heard.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject:

How in the F!!!

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/03/1114964240/new-battery-technology-china-vanadium?fbclid=IwAR1fGOKbcysw-yjZKwyjNXx7L-XRF88Flz5IWstyHiR9ufBnQ6oX4RnwjKs
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject:

Indiana Republicans making Democratic ads for the Fall -- pass a total ban on abortion with no exceptions. Then rub salt in the wound while doing an endzone dance declaring women are merely vessels and have no right to bodily autonomy.

Washington Post: ‘Not her body, not her choice’: Indiana lawmakers on abortion ban

Quote:
Indiana lawmakers approved a near-total ban on abortion Friday, making the state the first in the nation to pass sweeping limits on access to the procedure since the U.S. Supreme Court struck down Roe v. Wade.

The Republican-dominated state Senate passed the legislation in a 28-19 vote that had divided GOP legislators over how far the ban should go. Before Gov. Eric Holcomb (R) signed the bill into law on Friday, some GOP members had expressed support for allowing abortion in cases of rape and incest, while others opposed the bill because of those exceptions.

Quote:
Rep. John Jacob (R):

“The body inside of the mom’s body is not her body. Let me repeat that: The body inside of the mom’s body is not her body. Not her body, not her choice,” said Jacob, a staunch abortion opponent who supported removing exceptions including for rape.

“Trying to end all abortion is not forced birth, but rather it is trying to end murdering children,” he said on the floor.

Just let me assure you that when a typical woman reads that sentence above, the rage level instantly goes from 1 to 1,000. Keep it up GOP. Keep reminding us to vote every one of you misogynistic authoritarian mother-(bleep) out office this November.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
How in the F!!!

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/03/1114964240/new-battery-technology-china-vanadium?fbclid=IwAR1fGOKbcysw-yjZKwyjNXx7L-XRF88Flz5IWstyHiR9ufBnQ6oX4RnwjKs

Quote:
The Chinese company didn't steal this technology. It was given to them — by the U.S. Department of Energy. First in 2017, as part of a sublicense, and later, in 2021, as part of a license transfer. An investigation by NPR and the Northwest News Network found the federal agency allowed the technology and jobs to move overseas, violating its own licensing rules while failing to intervene on behalf of U.S. workers in multiple instances.

Hint: Who who was president in 2017?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
governator wrote:
How in the F!!!

Quote:
The Chinese company didn't steal this technology. It was given to them — by the U.S. Department of Energy. First in 2017, as part of a sublicense, and later, in 2021, as part of a license transfer. An investigation by NPR and the Northwest News Network found the federal agency allowed the technology and jobs to move overseas, violating its own licensing rules while failing to intervene on behalf of U.S. workers in multiple instances.

Hint: Who who was president in 2017?

the traitor
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Indiana Republicans making Democratic ads for the Fall -- pass a total ban on abortion with no exceptions. Then rub salt in the wound while doing an endzone dance declaring women are merely vessels and have no right to bodily autonomy.

Washington Post: ‘Not her body, not her choice’: Indiana lawmakers on abortion ban

Quote:
Indiana lawmakers approved a near-total ban on abortion Friday, making the state the first in the nation to pass sweeping limits on access to the procedure since the U.S. Supreme Court struck down Roe v. Wade.

The Republican-dominated state Senate passed the legislation in a 28-19 vote that had divided GOP legislators over how far the ban should go. Before Gov. Eric Holcomb (R) signed the bill into law on Friday, some GOP members had expressed support for allowing abortion in cases of rape and incest, while others opposed the bill because of those exceptions.

Quote:
Rep. John Jacob (R):

“The body inside of the mom’s body is not her body. Let me repeat that: The body inside of the mom’s body is not her body. Not her body, not her choice,” said Jacob, a staunch abortion opponent who supported removing exceptions including for rape.

“Trying to end all abortion is not forced birth, but rather it is trying to end murdering children,” he said on the floor.

Just let me assure you that when a typical woman reads that sentence above, the rage level instantly goes from 1 to 1,000. Keep it up GOP. Keep reminding us to vote every one of you misogynistic authoritarian mother-(bleep) out office this November.

And hopefully they vastly outnumber the number of women who actually agree with total abortion bans, which, as unfathomable as that may be, do exist in no small number.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
Rep. John Jacob (R):

And hopefully they vastly outnumber the number of women who actually agree with total abortion bans, which, as unfathomable as that may be, do exist in no small number.

Despite Republican rhetoric about abortion being murder -- Republican women get abortions, daughters of Republicans get abortions, evangelical Christian women get abortions. They say one thing and do another. But now the chickens have come home to roost and their access is being cut off too. We'll see how they feel when it happens to *them.*
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Despite Republican rhetoric about abortion being murder -- Republican women get abortions, daughters of Republicans get abortions, evangelical Christian women get abortions. They say one thing and do another. But now the chickens have come home to roost and their access is being cut off too. We'll see how they feel when it happens to *them.*

I'm woefully out of touch when it comes to the depths of sexism in our country.

On a fundamental level, I don't understand it. I don't understand why a wide swath of people are threatened and emasculated by women in our country. So I can't predict the ramifications of it well (recent SC decision). Or the ramifications of the ramifications (the female vote in this 2022 off year election cycle).

All I can do is watch and listen. And continually be surprised by the young, male, conservative, incel (involuntarily celibate) movement.
And that stripping reproductive rights (a social cause) became a priority in the midst of historical inflation and income inequality (economic issues).

I'm reminded of a quote I studied in Political philosophy back in the day.
I'm paraphrasing here, but it was something like, "the rich can always afford to pay 1/2 the poor people, to blame the other 1/2 for their problems". Race, gender, religion, sex, all just tools for that cause.

Last edited by kikanga on Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject:

Republican women will vote however their male partners want them to . . .

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I'm woefully out of touch when it comes to the depths of sexism in our country.

On a fundamental level, I don't understand it. I don't understand why a wide swath of people are threatened and emasculated by women in our country. So I can't predict the ramifications of it well (recent SC decision). Or the ramifications of the ramifications (the female vote in this 2022 off year election cycle).

All I can do is watch and listen. And continually be surprised by the young, male, conservative, incel (involuntarily celibate) movement.
And that stripping reproductive rights (a social cause) became a priority in the midst of historical inflation and income inequality (economic issues).

I'm reminded of a quote I studied in Political philosophy back in the day.
I'm paraphrasing here, but it was something like, "the rich can always afford to pay 1/2 the poor people, to blame the other 1/2 for their problems". Race, gender, religion, sex, all just tools for that cause.

It's rooted in the Bible and the beginnings of our country where men are the the rulers and women and children are their property to do with as they see fit. Alito actually quoted famous jurists from 1700's England in his ruling (the person he quoted believed women were property with no rights and that there was no such thing as marital rape because a wife's body belonged to her husband). Women who've grown up in the evangelical church are brainwashed into the cult. Misogyny and racism in this country are inextricably linked because both are based on the belief that the only "true" Americans who should make all the rules are elite white men. Despite all the progress of the last hundred years, they never stopped believing this. Then Trump opened pandora's box and gave them all permission to let it fully out into the open. They are drunk on their own power now.

And some of it has do to with low male self-esteem (due to income inequality, loss of blue collar jobs, lack of higher education, GOP decades long agenda to blame liberals for their problems) and their rage when women and blacks (Hillary and Barack) surpass them in success. They need to beat women, POC and gays back into submission in order to "feel good" about themselves. It's sick and gross and backwards. And they must be called out on it over and over again.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
Rep. John Jacob (R):

I hear ya, and totally get that. I just worry about the numbers, though Kansas was quite comforting.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Loved seeing that dirtbag Alex Jones squirm on the stand.
Where's all your fake tough guy bravado now? LMAO

Anyone else catch him pulling the Sandy Lyle (Along Came Polly) clearing his throat and sipping water every 10 seconds when questions started getting heated? LOL Good stuff. Eff him
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:24 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

It's rooted in the Bible and the beginnings of our country where men are the the rulers and women and children are their property to do with as they see fit. Alito actually quoted famous jurists from 1700's England in his ruling (the person he quoted believed women were property with no rights and that there was no such thing as marital rape because a wife's body belonged to her husband). Women who've grown up in the evangelical church are brainwashed into the cult. Misogyny and racism in this country are inextricably linked because both are based on the belief that the only "true" Americans who should make all the rules are elite white men. Despite all the progress of the last hundred years, they never stopped believing this. Then Trump opened pandora's box and gave them all permission to let it fully out into the open. They are drunk on their own power now.

And some of it has do to with low male self-esteem (due to income inequality, loss of blue collar jobs, lack of higher education, GOP decades long agenda to blame liberals for their problems) and their rage when women and blacks (Hillary and Barack) surpass them in success. They need to beat women, POC and gays back into submission in order to "feel good" about themselves. It's sick and gross and backwards. And they must be called out on it over and over again.

I think that also partly explains how fast conspiracy theories spread that have no basis in reality. We have tens of millions of people in this country that have been conditioned since childhood to accept many wild claims without evidence related to their religion, and then end up accepting wild claims without evidence related to politics. And that's a worldwide problem.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3354, 3355, 3356 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 3355 of 3663
Jump to: