The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1824, 1825, 1826 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject:

LJ will wait for Bryce (the one with the legitimate talent by all indications).
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
epic_ wrote:
I say Lebron signs the extension

Same. He’s not leaving imo.

1+1.

He doesn’t want to leave and Jeanie is all about the taking care of the franchise stars so that the next wave joins the Lakers.

I don't mind the 1 +1.
But hopefully they make moves that improve the Lakers being the main priority. Catering to agents/players should be secondary. Although they don't have to be mutually exclusive at times.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject:

You guys do realize than an extension has to actually be offered to him by Jeannie in order for him to sign it. He can't sign something that's not on the table. So far, I haven't heard a peep from the Lakers side.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:20 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
You guys do realize than an extension has to actually be offered to him by Jeannie in order for him to sign it. He can't sign something that's not on the table. So far, I haven't heard a peep from the Lakers side.

The thing is the Lakers won’t throw away the mega stars. They will offer the max and put in Klutch’s court.

That’s just how the Lakers have always operated and Jeanie is too scared to not offer the 2/97 extension. Even if it might not be the smartest thing for a 38 year old that is beginning to show injury concerns, Jeanie doesn’t have the guts nor the smart basketball people to pivot.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Gods workin overtime.

The Lakers will be the one team over the course of his career where he can't stay healthy and will also be the one team where he now wants to be loyal.

Two more additional seasons of this huh?

Joy. Joy.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject:

LeBron talking with the Lakers about an extension is the worst possible news. Why can't he just go away?
derek94
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:
LeBron talking with the Lakers about an extension is the worst possible news. Why can't he just go away?

He’s still the most entertaining player in the league and it may not be close. Unless LA can secure a solid plan involving James as trade piece, he should be here for at least one more year after this upcoming one, imo
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:59 pm    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:

Huh? Worst news for you? Not for Lakers and basketball fans. I take it you are a hater?
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:

We don't know what that meeting was about, nor what was discussed. And don't let his media sack warmers con you into believing something that's not true. For all we know they could have discussed parting ways at some point in the near future. We all know he wants to be in Hollywood, so why not sign the deal today and get it over with....unless the deal was never offered. I can see why lebron would hold off, so he could squeeze every bit of drama out of it in typical fashion....but Jeannie doesn't play those media games, nor do I believe she has the desire to play his games. Also, the source that the meeting took place came from Rich Paul. He could be lying too, I don't believe anything that comes from klutch. What was he supposed to tell the media...."We haven't heard from them". He would never say that.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:

Huh? Worst news for you? Not for Lakers and basketball fans. I take it you are a hater?

I hate the fact that LeBron ultimately destroys every franchise that he's been with and then leaves because they aren't good enough to compete for a title.

Case in point, we have virtually no assets left because we had to trade them all for Mr. Glass AD. And if he gets his way, we'll lose our last two assets (our first rounders) for headcase Kyrie.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:

I hate the fact that LeBron ultimately destroys every franchise that he's been with and then leaves because they aren't good enough to compete for a title.

Case in point, we have virtually no assets left because we had to trade them all for Mr. Glass AD. And if he gets his way, we'll lose our last two assets (our first rounders) for headcase Kyrie.

Do you remember the title the Lakers won in 2020?
That was Lebron…and Davis.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:46 pm    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:

For better or worse, he is the only shot we'll have for a while at winning the championship. As long as he's still an elite player, we have to take a shot while not automatically caving in to LeBron and Klutch's demands when it comes to personnel decisions.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:47 pm    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:

You can tell the difference between LBJ fans and Lakers fans because the LBJ fans are content to watch LeStatpad play with Bronny in meaningless games.

I'm fine if we can actually pull off one of those big trades... but if we are just standing pat... there is no point giving him an extension.

Jeanie... if one of your interns is reading this forum.

Literally no true Lakers fan wants to watch LBJ play if there is no decent team alongside him.

Cut your losses and move forward if you can't get anything done.

No one wants to see him break records and play with his boy if we aren't competing for a title.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:

I never understood this.

The guy has played for three franchises and he won a ring with each of them. He led Cleveland to their only ring. He led Miami to two of the franchises three rings. He brought Cleveland its greatest success in its 50-year history and Miami its greatest success in its 33-year history, yet he "destroyed" the franchises.

Yet ...

He won 2 rings with Miami and they were back in the finals 6 years after he left.

That doesn't seem like a team that was destroyed to me.

He won a ring with Cleveland, and took them to the finals 4 other times. Four years after he left, they are a 44-win team with two all-stars and a bunch of other young players.

That doesn't seem like a team that was destroyed to me.

I don't see how he has destroyed franchises. That just seems to be a cliche without foundation.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:12 am    Post subject:

I'd argue that LBJ underperformed winning titles considering how great he was.

At first he was too deferential perhaps... sticking with Cleveland too long.

Then with the decision he barely won two titles... thanks to Ray Allen... the Cleveland title was amazing (I was rooting for him) and our title was very lucky because of the rest due to the pandemic.

The man should have stuck with Riley and maybe he starts a new dynasty.

I get why it's important for him to become an owner... I think black ownership in the NBA is long overdue and its important for someone like him to start a new trend.

I just don't think LBJ 's any good at personnel selection or development.

So let him become the owner of Vegas... I just don't want him controlling the Lakers.

Would he better than Jeanie? Probably... but that's a low bar to achieve.

I've seen enough and I want him gone as soon as possible.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:38 am    Post subject:

Underperformed? 4 chips 11 finals, what’s standard are you using?
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:16 am    Post subject:

LeBron showed he can still play at a high level...I mean when he was playing he was legitimately in the mvp discussion which is pretty wild....so extending if possible seems pretty reasonable....the main the lakers have to do is make sure LBJ doesn't have to carry the load all season....which mean Davis has to find a way to stay on the court for a season and the lakers either need a real third hombre like Kyrie or uber role players like turner and buddy....one or the other should allow us to rest LBJ during the season either because we are blowing teams out or we are taking on teams well short of our talent level....healthy LBJ and AD + option 1 or 2 going into the playoffs I like our chances....so some of this on Rob (team construction) and some on good fortune (good health)
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:16 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Literally no true Lakers fan wants to watch LBJ play if there is no decent team alongside him.

Once you start talking about "true" Lakers fans, you're talking about an orthodoxy that doesn't really exist. We used to get the same thing about Kobe: Kobe fans vs. true Lakers fans, yada yada yada.

I agree with you to the extent that you're saying that we can't rebuild around Lebron. That's fairly obvious. I agree with you that we shouldn't let Lebron and Rich Paul dictate our moves going forward. Again, I think that's fairly obvious.

However, if we're looking at the next three seasons or so, it isn't so simple. We don't control our next three first round picks. The reasons for this are all water under the bridge, spilled milk, or whatever cliche you prefer. If we dump Lebron and just try to chase free agents or whatever, we're likely to be shipping lottery picks to the Pelicans. On top of that, we'd be putting a pretty drab product on the court.

Unless there is some brilliant alternative for the next couple seasons -- which I haven't seen yet -- then it would be reasonable to keep Lebron around for another couple years. It's not an ideal outcome, and we aren't likely to contend for anything. But the alternatives are worse.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:01 am    Post subject:

Lebron's advantage of waiting until season start are:

He can add some pressure to the Lakers to give FRPs to deal WB for a better starting 5 that gives AD/Bron a core 5 that can win close games/closers.

He can do what Harden did in FA 2023 and maybe recruit some players in and then sign for a little less.

The disadvantage

He can get hurt and lose the guaranteed money. While teams will still pay, imagine he suffers a Kobe like injury. It just happens. No one is taking Lebron at 95M if he's suffered a serious longterm injury.

My gut says at age 38, he takes the money with a 1+1. Now whether it's in our best interests to do a 1+1 with him? IDK.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Once you start talking about "true" Lakers fans, you're talking about an orthodoxy that doesn't really exist. We used to get the same thing about Kobe: Kobe fans vs. true Lakers fans, yada yada yada.

I agree with you to the extent that you're saying that we can't rebuild around Lebron. That's fairly obvious. I agree with you that we shouldn't let Lebron and Rich Paul dictate our moves going forward. Again, I think that's fairly obvious.

However, if we're looking at the next three seasons or so, it isn't so simple. We don't control our next three first round picks. The reasons for this are all water under the bridge, spilled milk, or whatever cliche you prefer. If we dump Lebron and just try to chase free agents or whatever, we're likely to be shipping lottery picks to the Pelicans. On top of that, we'd be putting a pretty drab product on the court.

Unless there is some brilliant alternative for the next couple seasons -- which I haven't seen yet -- then it would be reasonable to keep Lebron around for another couple years. It's not an ideal outcome, and we aren't likely to contend for anything. But the alternatives are worse.

The Lakers are in a bad situation. How they got there is not even that important. Bad decisions, bad deals, injuries, bad rosters, etc. Most important issue is how do they turn things around?

IMO making more bad deals to get out of the current is unacceptable. Simply bad business. The point made that “we can’t be shipping lottery picks to Pels” is troubling, I agree. But we already are.

“Keeping James around a couple more years” is not going to change that. He is great for marketing and relevance. Except the Lakers are always relevant, winning or losing. But on court there are serious questions of just how competitive the team will be with James as the focal point.

Tough choices need be made. Like a marriage that produced good years and great memories, there is a time that it is just not working anymore and a divorce is needed. Lakers are there IMO.

You ask for a legitimate alternative plan. Trade James. Trade Westbrook.

The packages need to be for multiple younger, more athletic and contributing depth to put around Davis. I get it, he has injury issues. But he should still be the focal point going into the next few years. As was planned when they traded for him.

Depth, desire to play hard for Ham and in a team system. Let Ham do his job with a motivated group. James has a gravitational pull that dominates the team and other players. Moving James gives the “team” a chance to grow.

No clue if it works. But the risk is worth it. Like the divorce I mentioned, it is never easy and can be gut wrenching for some, but in the end it is the best decision for all.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:38 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

I'm not sure what we could really get for Lebron, given his age and expiring contract. This is most likely a tanking scenario, but we don't control our draft picks. Jeanie and the front office aren't going to do it, so it's an academic point.

Barring a miraculous trade for Westbrook, the question comes down to riding with Lebron for a couple years or just blowing it up. But again, we don't control our draft picks, so blowing it up is problematic. We'd need to be chasing free agents in the summer of '23, but the free agent class is thin.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Lebron's advantage of waiting until season start are:

He can add some pressure to the Lakers to give FRPs to deal WB for a better starting 5 that gives AD/Bron a core 5 that can win close games/closers.

He can do what Harden did in FA 2023 and maybe recruit some players in and then sign for a little less.

The disadvantage

He can get hurt and lose the guaranteed money. While teams will still pay, imagine he suffers a Kobe like injury. It just happens. No one is taking Lebron at 95M if he's suffered a serious longterm injury.

My gut says at age 38, he takes the money with a 1+1. Now whether it's in our best interests to do a 1+1 with him? IDK.

I've never dissed LBJ the player.

But he meddles with the team and treats players like they are disposable and ruins team chemistry.

I mean it's true that we could really help create a monster by giving the already talented Pelicans more lottery picks but I was one of the few who never wanted to give them the picks in the first place.

So we delay the inevitable to watch LBJ statpad? Nah, I'm already pissed we are in this situation.

At least if we had even a few new or young players to develop, I can start dreaming of the future.

Again, if we get the Kyrie or Buddy deal done... even the Randle deal... I know it's a longshot... but at least the hope of something good happening... but if it's just running it back... I'd rather start the rebuild as soon as possible.

And I'm aware that LBJ, AD, and Russ are even capable of making the playoffs but what does a dead cat bounce do other than make Jeanie even more resistant to change that is needed?

Unless a significant trade happens... let LBJ go.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:

There's a famous quote that goes..."Stay away from people who act like a victim in a problem they created"
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject:

Tough choices need be made.

My guess is the Lakers have already made their tough choices. They aren't going to send out a press release spelling out those choices, but here is what I speculate they have decided to do:

They are going to try to compete this year with a team led by Lebron and AD.

If they can find a good offer for Westbrook, they'll trade him, but they are prepared to move forward with him as the starting point guard and see what happens.

They aren't going to trade Lebron; they aren't going to send Westbrook home.

If the season goes haywire, they might adjust the lineup and make a trade.

They will try to sign Lebron to an extension after this year, probably a one plus one.

Obviously, there are going to be lots of people who don't like that plan (but the same is probably true of any plan the Lakers made). But my guess is that is what will happen.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I'm not sure what we could really get for Lebron, given his age and expiring contract. This is most likely a tanking scenario, but we don't control our draft picks. Jeanie and the front office aren't going to do it, so it's an academic point.

Barring a miraculous trade for Westbrook, the question comes down to riding with Lebron for a couple years or just blowing it up. But again, we don't control our draft picks, so blowing it up is problematic. We'd need to be chasing free agents in the summer of '23, but the free agent class is thin.

I am confused by the contradiction in posts when it comes to James’ trade value.

On one hand, he has little value in a trade. On the other, he is the centerpiece of the Lakers being competitive and should be given an extension for $45m per yr. Which is it?

IMO James has value to a contender willing to give up 2-3 secondary players and maybe a FRP to go all in. James breaking the scoring record in that jersey adds a bit of incentive to the deal.

But as has been stated, highly unlikely it happens. Lakers are keeping him for the marketing and will hope the Big 3 can find a way to coexist or a reasonable trade can be made for WB.

Maybe the new revamped roster can provide some decent depth and contributions that were not there last year. Davis playing 70 games at a high level would be nice too. Maybe they will surprise me.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1824, 1825, 1826 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next
Page 1825 of 2079
Jump to: