Lakers Showtime Series coming to HBO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
I don't think Jerry West comes across that badly he's actually my favorite on the show. Yeah is character is a prick but I at least get it Magic and Buss are actually quite terrible(albeit entertaining).

I think in the first couple episodes West came across really bad. But he's looked better as it's gone on.

It was a bit of knee jerk reactions. He's probably ended up being one of the most likeable characters actually. KAP too. Magic gonna Magic lol
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
this show had Jeannie Buss's ego all over it. she came out as the only rational, normal character who's just a girl surviving in men's power games. i stopped watching it 3 weeks ago.

I like Magic's dad although we don't see him that much either.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
this show had Jeannie Buss's ego all over it. she came out as the only rational, normal character who's just a girl surviving in men's power games. i stopped watching it 3 weeks ago.

Jeannie and the Lakers had absolutely no involvement in this show. Even Gary Vitti quit after the first episode because he didn't like what they were doing.

Some people here are so angry at Jeannie that they'll spin any false narrative just to faux rage at her. It's been well documented that the Lakers hated this show from the get-go and had nothing to do with its development or production.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Jeannie and the Lakers had absolutely no involvement in this show. Even Gary Vitti quit after the first episode because he didn't like what they were doing.

Some people here are so angry at Jeannie that they'll spin any false narrative just to faux rage at her. It's been well documented that the Lakers hated this show from the get-go and had nothing to do with its development or production.

Yup
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

I don't get the Jeannie hate. I know a couple posters here seem to have something personal against her and maybe some of it is that she's a woman in an executive position, but all I want an owner to do is cut the checks, pay the bills and sit in their luxury box and root for the team. I'm ok with them having input in the coach and GM, but other than that they should stay out of everything else and Jeannie has been really good at that. If she trusts Linda and Kurt that's her business. When you're in the position she's in, there are people that will try to align themselves with you with ill intent.
If she feels that Magic, Phil, Kurt and Linda are true friends then I get it.
Those that want her to sell won't be too happy if a Jerry Jones/James Dolan type idiot buys the team and runs it into the ground because they have so much money that they think they know everything.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
I don't get the Jeannie hate...

... All I want an owner to do is cut the checks, pay the bills and sit in their luxury box and root for the team. I'm ok with them having input in the coach and GM, but other than that they should stay out of everything else and Jeannie has been really good at that. If she trusts Linda and Kurt that's her business...

Let me preface this with I really like Jeannie. I really like how she is as an owner. She takes a fairly hands off approach. She empowers people around her to do their job. The perfect definition of a great owner. The problem that I have with her is she seems to put her trust and empowers the wrong people.

Why does she trust Rambis so much? It's great that they are friends. But this is business. I, along with many, wish she would empower the right people instead of only running to the vastly unqualified friends and family to do the job.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
kwase wrote:
I don't get the Jeannie hate...

... All I want an owner to do is cut the checks, pay the bills and sit in their luxury box and root for the team. I'm ok with them having input in the coach and GM, but other than that they should stay out of everything else and Jeannie has been really good at that. If she trusts Linda and Kurt that's her business...

Let me preface this with I really like Jeannie. I really like how she is as an owner. She takes a fairly hands off approach. She empowers people around her to do their job. The perfect definition of a great owner. The problem that I have with her is she seems to put her trust and empowers the wrong people.

Why does she trust Rambis so much? It's great that they are friends. But this is business. I, along with many, wish she would empower the right people instead of only running to the vastly unqualified friends and family to do the job.

Is she hands off? She seems to meddle and be involved in constant drama and palace intrigue. Does she empower people? Vogel would suggest otherwise. Hell, Pelinka would also probably suggest otherwise.

She strikes me as entirely the opposite of your characterization, and the whole generally having the Lakers in the lottery under the reign of her and her older brother thing would suggest she’s quite incompetent actually, with a stunning lack of understanding a sport she has been involved with almost her entire adult life.

If she were hands off, neither the Rambii, nor Phil, would have any say in the organization.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Well at least Spencer Haywood has no issue with the show. Seems he and Kareem have no issues now..

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/sports-columns/ron-kantowski/spencer-haywood-turns-winning-time-into-his-time-2572956/

Quote:

The penultimate episode of “Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty” ended with Spencer Haywood putting out a contract on his former teammates while in a cocaine-fueled haze.

Suffice it to say that HBO’s portrayal of the longtime Las Vegas resident during the advent of the team’s glory days was less than flattering.

But sometimes even the darkest of clouds can have a purple and gold lining.

Haywood was in Los Angeles recently to help Kareem Abdul-Jabbar celebrate his 75th birthday. He was with the big man, Magic Johnson and James Worthy at a Lakers game against Oklahoma City when players from both sides, led by LeBron James, came up to greet them.

“I think they’re gonna grab Kareem, but they’re grabbing me and saying ‘thank you, thank you’ … and I’m like, what the (expletive) is going on?’ ” Haywood, 73, said Friday from his home in Southern Highlands.

Unbeknownst to most of the young NBA players, at least not before it was mentioned in “Winning Time” — the final episode of Season One airs Sunday — was the Hall of Famer’s antitrust suit against the NBA that went all the way to the Supreme Court.

The league ultimately agreed to a settlement that allowed players to enter the NBA before their college class had graduated, resulting in a $33 billion windfall in salaries for those who came after him, according to Haywood.

“Why are y’all recognizing me now?” the former power forward said about the many fist bumps he received at the Lakers’ game. “They said because of ‘Winning Time.’ I said, ‘Ain’t this some (expletive).’”

The former American Basketball Association MVP and four-time NBA All-Star said reliving some of his darkest days via the HBO series and actor Wood Harris, who plays him, was “rough.”

“But I’m not like Kareem, Magic, Jerry West and everybody who’s cutting it down,” Haywood said. “It’s pretty true because I did have a fall. They have taken the worst year of my life and made it into a movie.

“I know that everybody else is mad. But from my experience on that team, I think 95 percent of (what was shown) is true.”

He said many of the players who approached him in Los Angeles and reached out via text messages and email said they want to contribute to the retirement home for NBA and WNBA players that Haywood wants to build in Summerlin alongside the Roseman University College of Medicine, where he serves on the advisory council.

He also hosts an Amazon Music podcast — recent topics have included his advocacy for treating post-traumatic stress disorder (which he said led to his substance abuse) and other mental health issues — and Friday taped an episode with the actors who played Kareem and Magic in “Winning Time.”

To top it off, Amazon has even raised the rental price of “Spencer Haywood: Full Court” — a 2016 documentary about his rise from impoverished beginnings in Mississippi to induction into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame — from 99 cents to $1.99.

“The stock market is falling, but I’m going up in value,” Haywood said with a hearty laugh.

“I was working out the other day, and my trainer said with all this publicity you’re getting, maybe you can even get a 10-day contract.”
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Game 5 when Kareem hurt himself
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 8:17 pm    Post subject:

I was rooting for Jeanie.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:22 am    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMIC4zKK_nE

Game 5 when Kareem hurt himself

I heard the story about how Magic snatched the MVP from Kareem but was surprised to see how it actually played out..

Makes me wonder about other "narratives" in NBA history..

I wonder if season 2 will have more episodes I would think they are going to combine some of these seasons like 1980-81 and 81-82 will be one season entirely.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:23 am    Post subject:

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/winning-time-finale-ratings-hbo-1235262267/

Quote:
HBO’s ‘Winning Time’ Finale Audience Jumps 73% From Series Premiere

HBO’s “Winning Time” scored another series high viewership with its finale Sunday, drawing 1.6 million viewers across both the linear channel and streamer HBO Max.

That audience tally was up 73% over the drama’s series premiere and 31% from the Season 1 average. Per HBO, “Winning Time” — which has already been renewed for Season 2 — saw seven weeks of consecutive growth throughout its 10-episode first season, which debuted March 6.

For the finale, “Winning Time” landed 534,000 viewers for the 9 p.m. linear airing on HBO alone, more than double the season premiere and the most-watched initial linear telecast of the season.

To date, episodes of “Winning Time” Season 1 are averaging 6 million viewers. The premiere episode, which debuted to 900,000 viewers, is pacing at 8 million viewers.

Based on the book “Showtime: Magic, Kareem, Riley and the Los Angeles Lakers Dynasty of the 1980s” by Jeff Pearlman, the fast-break series chronicles the professional and personal lives of the 1980s Los Angeles Lakers, one of sports’ most revered and dominant dynasties — a team that defined an era, both on and off the court.

“Winning Time” Season 1 stars John C. Reilly, Quincy Isaiah, Jason Clarke, Adrien Brody, Gaby Hoffmann, Tracy Letts, Jason Segel, Julianne Nicholson, Hadley Robinson, DeVaughn Nixon, Solomon Hughes, Tamera Tomakili, Brett Cullen, Stephen Adly Guirgis, Spencer Garrett, Sarah Ramos, Molly Gordon, Joey Brooks, Delante Desouza, Jimel Atkins, Austin Aaron, Jon Young with Rob Morgan and Sally Field.

The show is executive produced by Adam McKay, who directed the pilot, along with showrunner/co-creator Max Borenstein, Kevin Messick, Jim Hecht, Rodney Barnes, Jason Shuman and Scott Stephens.

“Winning Time” hails from McKay’s Hyperobject Industries.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10892993/Stars-basketball-drama-Winning-Team-DEFEND-portrayal-Lakers-legends.html

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: 'It comes with the business when you make a story about real people.' Stars of basketball drama Winning Time DEFEND harsh portrayal of Lakers legends and brush off legal threats and criticism by Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Jerry West

Actors Jon Young and Caitlin O'Connor tell DailyMail.com that their show Winning Time is 'right on point' and 'not out to get' the Lakers stars it portrays
Lakers legend and former team exec Jerry West slammed HBO's portrayal of him in the series, calling it a 'baseless and malicious assault'
West demanded an apology and retraction from HBO and producer Adam McKay, according to a letter from his attorneys
Former Laker Magic Johnson vowed never to watch the show while Kareem Abdul-Jabbar called the cast 'crude stick-figure representations'
Speaking at an event in Los Angeles, Young stood his ground for the show and said, 'It comes with the business when you make a story about real people'
Young, who plays former Lakers player Brad Holland, hit back at West's claims and said 'most of the show is right on point'

Stars of basketball drama Winning Time have hit back against criticism and legal threats by Lakers legends Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and coach Jerry West over their portrayal in the HBO show.

West, the former Lakers coach and general manager, has threatened to sue over the show and sent a legal letter to HBO claiming it 'falsely and cruelly portrays Mr. West as an out-of-control, intoxicated rage-aholic.'

But in an exclusive interview with DailyMail.com actors Jon Young and Caitlin O'Connor say the show is 'right on point' and 'not out to get' the Lakers stars, adding that their detractors are 'not really interested in starting a dialogue'.

Magic has vowed never to watch Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty while Kareem called the cast 'crude stick-figure representations' of the 80s title winners.

West, 84, was head coach of the Lakers from 1976 to 1979 and an executive for the team from 1979 to 2000, when he led the team to five NBA titles.

West, the former Lakers coach and general manager, (right) has threatened to sue over the show and sent a legal letter to HBO claiming it 'falsely and cruelly portrays Mr. West as an out-of-control, intoxicated rage-aholic,' while Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (left) called the cast 'crude stick-figure representations' of the 80s title winners

Speaking at a red carpet event in Los Angeles last week, Young stood his ground for the show.

'In terms of the controversy, I thought we all tried to portray characters in a positive light, while also adhering to a story that our producers and writers gave to us,' he said.

'It comes with the business when you make a story about real people.

Speaking at an event in Los Angeles, Young stood his ground for the Winning Time and said, 'It comes with the business when you make a story about real people'

'Nobody likes to hear that people are upset with our work. But at the same time we are not trying to be a docu-series and we are trying to stress that to them. It is purely for entertainment based on reality.'

Young, who plays former Lakers player Brad Holland in the show, hit back at West's claims that the show falsely portrayed the ex coach and Lakers exec as 'a vulgar and unprofessional bully.'

'The extensive research that the writers and producers went through, most of the show is right on point,' Young said.

'If everybody was made a nice guy what is the difference between all the characters?

'You need different personalities to make the show really click.'

Asked if he expects resolution with any of the naysayers, he replied: 'It seems like they are not really interested in starting a dialogue.'

The show caused a stir when a recent episode showed late Lakers owner Jerry Buss, who died in 2013, sexually assaulting a nurse caring for his dying mother.

His daughter Jeannie is governor of the team, and has remained tight-lipped about Buss's portrayal by John C. Reilly in the show, but did introduce herself to Reilly at a game.

Abdul-Jabbar, 75, slammed HBO for West's portrayal, calling Winning Time a 'Wile E. Coyote cartoon.'

'Instead of exploring his issues with compassion as a way to better understand the man, they turn him into a Wile E. Coyote cartoon to be laughed at,' Abdul-Jabbar said.

'He never broke golf clubs, he didn't throw his trophy through the window. Sure, those actions make dramatic moments, but they reek of facile exploitation of the man rather than exploration of character.'

West is demanding an apology and retraction from the network as well as producer Adam McKay, according to a letter from his attorneys that was obtained by ESPN Actor Jason Clarke portraying West in Winning time. West is pictured right during his time as coach of the Lakers

Magic, 62, tweeted on April 24 in defense of his old coach, saying West 'means so much to the Lakers organization' and that he 'remains close to a lot of former Lakers today, including me.'

Not all the former Lakers stars are mad at their characters.

Actress O'Connor, 31, plays actress and hardcore Lakers fan Dyan Cannon in the series
+16
View gallery
Actress O'Connor, 31, plays actress and hardcore Lakers fan Dyan Cannon in the series

Young said he is proud to have a relationship with the real version of his character, Holland – and revealed he even had dinner with Holland and his family.

The actor called the role 'a dream come true,' adding: 'You do your best to balance both adhering to the story and playing a real guy. You want to do both justice.'

Actress O'Connor, 31, who plays legendary actress and hardcore Lakers fan Dyan Cannon in the series, joined Young hitting back at criticism of their series.

'Winning Time is a dramatization. It is built around the facts, based around the facts. It is for your entertainment. It is not a documentary,' she told DailyMail.com. 'We hope you love the show.'

The star admitted that she was 'not shocked when those comments came out,' referring to the former Lakers players' criticisms.

'Any public figure wants to tell their own story through their own perception, and that is not what they have done. It is not a documentary. It is poetry of a real life event - but it's not real life,' she said.

'I hope Magic Johnson watches the show, Jerry West and his family and everybody watches the show.

'That's all you can hope for. So there are more eyes on the piece of art they made.'

Young plays former Lakers player Brad Holland in the show. Young said he is proud to have a relationship with the real version of his character, Holland – and revealed he even had dinner with Holland and his family

The actors spoke at Regard Magazine's summer issue release party presented by BURN180 at the Riviera 31, inside the Sofitel Los Angeles, which raised awareness for charities including the Foundation for a Slavery Free World.

Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty, detailing the start of the LA team's professional and personal lives of the 1980s side, is one of HBO's biggest hits in recent years.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject:

I just watched a couple of episodes of Winning Time on Amazon Prime, and I really like it.

I'm impressed with the post-production and the way it makes you feel like you're right there. The clothes, interior home design and even the graphics of the game telecasts make you feel like it's 1979 or 1980.

I know some of the details of what happened in the games are off, but I can tolerate it. I remember watching "Lords of Dogtown" which is about the Z-Boys, another legendary L.A. sports team, and it's pretty much the same kind of dramatization, so we just have to live with Hollywood exaggerating stuff for the sake of making money.

If I had to nitpick, I'd Pat Riley isn't portrayed right. His character seems real calm and stoic, and I always thought Riley is intense and hyper-energetic.

I hope they do this series right up until 1991 so they do the entire era.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
I don't think Jerry West comes across that badly he's actually my favorite on the show. Yeah is character is a prick but I at least get it Magic and Buss are actually quite terrible(albeit entertaining).

I think in the first couple episodes West came across really bad. But he's looked better as it's gone on.

I don't think he came across badly. I think almost everyone understands his portrayal was a comedic interpretation and not defamation.

What happened to the rumblings about a lawsuit? Did they realize they didn't have a winnable case?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:36 am    Post subject:

This series is so good, just bought Perlman's shotwime... if they do the Perlman's Kobe-Shaq, man, explosive, gonna be a lotta pissed off folks but imma watch it for sure lol
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject:

The casting call for Season 2. I'm curious who they'll find for these roles.

https://twitter.com/jeffpearlman/status/1554192092712148992/photo/1
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:52 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

>casting for Robert Parish, Byron Scott, Mitch Kupchak, Kurt Rambis, James Worthy
>"looking for ALL ethnicities"

Dev Patel as Kurt Rambis

George Takei as James Worthy

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
WeAreWorthy
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

>casting for Robert Parish, Byron Scott, Mitch Kupchak, Kurt Rambis, James Worthy

Dev Patel as Kurt Rambis

Cast Worthy as Worthy and Scott as Scott - they look the same and with a bit of makeup Do it!
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject:

WeAreWorthy wrote:
C M B wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Dev Patel as Kurt Rambis

Cast Worthy as Worthy and Scott as Scott - they look the same and with a bit of makeup Do it!

Black don’t crack
Melanin protect
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject:

My wife and I loved the first season.

She's not a hoops fan.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject:

They have to do the Shaq Kobe season after too, gonna be explosive
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

I really think they will temper it down a notch.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject:

it's HBO and adam mckay. if anything, they'll embellish IMHO.

RI Laker wrote:
governator wrote:

I really think they will temper it down a notch.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject:

this dude GETS IT. made a reel for himself as kurt rambis! good luck my dude!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CgcVIaspDvG/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 12 of 16
Jump to: