So When Do The Lakers Decide If They Want To Rebuild Or Compete next season?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: So When Do The Lakers Decide If They Want To Rebuild Or Compete next season?

Honest question. Because teams right now know that the Lakers need to do everything they can now to please Lebron into signing another extension, or he will walk away and go off to a seemingly better situation like he has done 3 times before. So with that in mind, teams are forcing the Lakers into a situation where “either trade both of your first round picks to us, or lose Lebron next year”.

Lakers meanwhile, are resisting trading both of their only first round picks to trade for the rest of this decade. So they have been taking the half measures approach by either going into next season with a half-baked, already bad chemistry team with Westbrook’s aura hovering over the locker room, or they go for broke and trade both the picks for even a small chance to win the whole thing.

I for one, have been an advocate to just delay the inevitable and trade Lebron and the rest to totally rebuild. It’s pretty clear we will have no chance against teams like the Suns, Mavs, Warriors, even the Clippers at this point. So why not just cut the bandaid now and actually get something while he still has great value? Or are the Lakers just gonna let Lebron walk away, getting nothing in return next season for the sake of Lebron being in a Laker uniform passing Kareem’s scoring record?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject:

They have shown that they intend to try to compete next season, Lebron and AD likely are staying. None of us know what they are willing to trade or not willing to trade, that information is kept under wraps no matter what internet talking heads say. We do know what assets there are and hopefully realize that once they are gone there is no way to improve. I believe that the FO is trying to improve the roster but they haven’t left themselves much to work with. I don’t think that we see a total rebuild again any time soon.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I don’t think that we see a total rebuild again any time soon.

Yeah, Jeanie has to think post LeBron too, which is right around the corner from a planning perspective. The team has missed the playoffs 7 of the last 9 seasons, and a prolonged drought after Bron while our lotto picks get selected by other franchises would do real damage to the brand, in addition to the bottom line. Even with a younger, less expensive James we’ve missed the playoffs twice and lost in the first round in three of his four years.

Add that the other team in the market is building a state of the art arena and will spare no expense in competing, and Jeannie could drive “her father’s baby” into the ground if she isn’t careful.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject:

I also want the Lakers to trade Lebron, especially if they can't acquire Kyrie but I just read an article about how he is happy and "entrenched" in Los Angeles so my worst fears of a prolonged farewell tour seem to be coming true.

I don't think Jeanie has the courage to not offer him an extension so our existence as Laker fans will probably be reduced to watching him statpad for another three or four years.

I don't deny his greatness as a player, and I also don't deny he couldn't have another season or two of greatness after what he's done.

But trading away more picks for players who won't change much seems like dooming us to another ten years of irrelevance.

If he was young... of course you trade to make him happy... but it's just a matter of time before the clock runs out on him.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject:

That decision was made long ago. We're pot committed to the Lebron window. We aren't going to trade Lebron, and it might be impossible to get any kind of return if we did. Seriously, what do you think that we could actually get for Lebron, especially if he is not onboard with the trade? The return would be much better than what we could get for Westbrook, but we wouldn't get a young star or a stack of draft picks. We could trade Davis, I guess, but his value is diminished by his recurring injuries. The rest of the roster is just a bunch of junk with little or no trade value.

So blowing it up isn't a real option right now. The real option is to run it back for a season and let the Lebron and Westbrook contracts expire. There could be free agent options next summer if our sights are set lower than they are right now (i.e., if we are looking to add pieces for a rebuild, rather than looking for a home run signing). For example, Turner and/or Sexton might be available next summer.

But I expect that we'll keep chasing quick fixes. Yay.
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject:

They should be doing what Ainge is doing in Utah. Just wasting time at this point on a play in team.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject:

I think LeBron is going to sign an extension 1+1.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
That decision was made long ago. We're pot committed to the Lebron window. We aren't going to trade Lebron, and it might be impossible to get any kind of return if we did. Seriously, what do you think that we could actually get for Lebron, especially if he is not onboard with the trade? The return would be much better than what we could get for Westbrook, but we wouldn't get a young star or a stack of draft picks. We could trade Davis, I guess, but his value is diminished by his recurring injuries. The rest of the roster is just a bunch of junk with little or no trade value.

So blowing it up isn't a real option right now. The real option is to run it back for a season and let the Lebron and Westbrook contracts expire. There could be free agent options next summer if our sights are set lower than they are right now (i.e., if we are looking to add pieces for a rebuild, rather than looking for a home run signing). For example, Turner and/or Sexton might be available next summer.

But I expect that we'll keep chasing quick fixes. Yay.

If we just let them expire, I'd consider that a huge win.

We'd be in the dark ages again for awhile... but I'd enjoy watching us develop players knowing they wouldn't get traded at his latest whim.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: So When Do The Lakers Decide If They Want To Rebuild Or Compete next season?

Megaton wrote:
Honest question. Because teams right now know that the Lakers need to do everything they can now to please Lebron into signing another extension, or he will walk away and go off to a seemingly better situation like he has done 3 times before. So with that in mind, teams are forcing the Lakers into a situation where “either trade both of your first round picks to us, or lose Lebron next year”.

By all indications, the Lakers are keeping Lebron this year and planning to compete.

As far as trades and what will happen after this year, that's anyone's guess.

The notion that every team in the league is playing chicken with the Lakers is probably overdone. It's not like we have so many resources that every team can pressure us into getting the deal they want. My guess is the actual matrix of teams thinking and motivation is pretty complex
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Offering an extension to a nearly 40 year old guy who's injured 1/3rd of the season and carries the baggage of someone with 9 kids by 8 different people would be the stupidest thing Jeannie could do. He's not Kobe, we have no attachment to him.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
Offering an extension to a nearly 40 year old guy who's injured 1/3rd of the season and carries the baggage of someone with 9 kids by 8 different people would be the stupidest thing Jeannie could do. He's not Kobe, we have no attachment to him.

Lakers gave away a lot of their draft picks in the future. They will only able to rebuild via free agency in the post-Lebron era.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

I just hope that he cools it with the talk about playing with his son. Imagine the pressure on Bronny if he isn’t good enough to make it in the league, he doesn’t need to constantly hear about that.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
kwase wrote:

Lakers gave away a lot of their draft picks in the future. They will only able to rebuild via free agency in the post-Lebron era.

That's fine. They should have known that when they signed him. There's plenty of evidence of him bailing on teams so Jeannie can't say she was blindsided. I'm with the OP in that we should trade him for picks or young talent, but if Jeannie wants to do "the right thing" and let him play out his contract I won't hold it against her. Anything beyond that only benefits lebron and his desire to remain in the limelight in L.A. It doesn't do anything for the franchise, or Laker fans. Take away lebron and westbrooks salary after next year and that's a lot of dough to work with. Hopefully she shows yellow-bellied Pelinka the door too. I'm sick and tired of this circus. Pack up all the sea lions and zebras, pay the magician and fire-breather and leave town! And some of you actually want Kyrie the snake charmer. ENOUGH!!!
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:

This is one of the greatest posts I've ever read in all my years on this site.
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
kwase wrote:

That's fine. They should have known that when they signed him. There's plenty of evidence of him bailing on teams so Jeannie can't say she was blindsided. I'm with the OP in that we should trade him for picks or young talent, but if Jeannie wants to do "the right thing" and let him play out his contract I won't hold it against her. Anything beyond that only benefits lebron and his desire to remain in the limelight in L.A. It doesn't do anything for the franchise, or Laker fans. Take away lebron and westbrooks salary after next year and that's a lot of dough to work with. Hopefully she shows yellow-bellied Pelinka the door too. I'm sick and tired of this circus. Pack up all the sea lions and zebras, pay the magician and fire-breather and leave town! And some of you actually want Kyrie the snake charmer. ENOUGH!!!

Having cap space doesn’t mean anything if players don’t want to play here. Let’s not forget that before Lebron the Lakers couldn’t even get a meeting with top free agents and were signing guys like Mozgov and Deng. The circus will continue when Rambis is the GM
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:35 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
32 wrote:

I just hope that he cools it with the talk about playing with his son. Imagine the pressure on Bronny if he isn’t good enough to make it in the league, he doesn’t need to constantly hear about that.

A team will sign him, 2nd rd pick if he sucks but knowing Bron will also sign, that duo will be a story line all season, $$$
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:45 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
32 wrote:

A team will sign him, 2nd rd pick if he sucks but knowing Bron will also sign, that duo will be a story line all season, $$$

That's not really the point. I think cooler heads in the family will prevail. The kid should go to college. If your dad's a billionaire, you don't need to be humiliated in public for what is pocket change, relatively speaking. He may develop into an NBA quality player, but as of now, he's not even a top recruiting prospect at the college level. He ranks about 40th nationally, which is really good for a regular person, but not for someone who aspires to be a one and done in the NBA.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:14 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
governator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
32 wrote:

That's not really the point. I think cooler heads in the family will prevail. The kid should go to college. If your dad's a billionaire, you don't need to be humiliated in public for what is pocket change, relatively speaking. He may develop into an NBA quality player, but as of now, he's not even a top recruiting prospect at the college level. He ranks about 40th nationally, which is really good for a regular person, but not for someone who aspires to be a one and done in the NBA.

I don’t see it, it’s a history in the making, pretty sure both Bron and Bronnie want it to happen
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:37 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
I don’t see it, it’s a history in the making, pretty sure both Bron and Bronnie want it to happen

Eh. I saw Ken Griffey and Ken Griffey, Jr. hit back-to-back home runs. Was that historic? We shall see, but I think that cooler heads in the family will prevail, unless of course Bronny James blossoms as a high school senior and becomes a genuine one-and-done candidate.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
governator wrote:

Eh. I saw Ken Griffey and Ken Griffey, Jr. hit back-to-back home runs. Was that historic? We shall see, but I think that cooler heads in the family will prevail, unless of course Bronny James blossoms as a high school senior and becomes a genuine one-and-done candidate.

I think there’s a difference between what should and what would happened. Even if it’s not in Bronnie’s best interest basketball wise, I still think they will go for it. It is the first one in NBA history and LeBron today is a much much bigger Star compared to ken Griffey, it will be remembered (at least that’s what the family perceived)
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
governator wrote:

I think there’s a difference between what should and what would happened. Even if it’s not in Bronnie’s best interest basketball wise, I still think they will go for it. It is the first one in NBA history and LeBron today is a much much bigger Star compared to ken Griffey, it will be remembered (at least that’s what the family perceived)

James playing with Bronny is a cute sideshow story but enough to plan your organizations competitive future around?

This is getting ridiculous. Why would a son want to base his career on his HoF dad? Most young players want to compete and earn on their own an merits, not ride the coattails of daddy.

Why would any organization plan around a 40 yr old declining player?

James and Bronny can play together in the Drew League. Or on a 10 day contract if it really has to be in the NBA. But I can not see it ending well if it truly works as both players on the same team for a season.

It does set up some odd worst case scenario’s if Bronny does not play to expectations and Lebron will ignore him after the season or openly suggest trading him for “more help”.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:45 am    Post subject:

Rebuild next season when they will have cap space and draft picks.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:15 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
governator wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
governator wrote:

James playing with Bronny is a cute sideshow story but enough to plan your organizations competitive future around?

This is getting ridiculous. Why would a son want to base his career on his HoF dad? Most young players want to compete and earn on their own an merits, not ride the coattails of daddy.

Why would any organization plan around a 40 yr old declining player?

James and Bronny can play together in the Drew League. Or on a 10 day contract if it really has to be in the NBA. But I can not see it ending well if it truly works as both players on the same team for a season.

It does set up some odd worst case scenario’s if Bronny does not play to expectations and Lebron will ignore him after the season or openly suggest trading him for “more help”.

Why would a team do this or plan around a 40yr old player? Cause they’re not a contender and it’ll make them $
Bron has talked about this before, this is what he wants to achieve, I don’t see why his son wouldn’t want to make it happened.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
32 wrote:

If Bronny doesn't end up being an NBA caliber player, I think the excitement of seeing father and son on the court together would quickly wane. I mean, if Bronny really can't play at the NBA level, what are they going to do? Have LeBron play and then bring out Bronny for a minute of garbage time in the 4th quarter?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
32 wrote:

You accurately illustrated my post, what an insult to Bronny that he only gets signed to get his dad.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: