What are your most Controversial opinions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Leftists should whine less and instead move to purple/red states or join conservative organizations and subvert them from the inside.

I wish we on the left had some kind of insidious longterm movement to make America into a fully functioning social democracy, just like how conservatives have had an insidious longterm movement to turn America into a Christian autocratic theocracy.

At this point, short of violence and other immoral things, I don't give a F how it looks. We just need to get it done, and if we get it done, our nation and everyone in it will be so much better off.

I wish the left had an evil genius like Karl Rove or Steve Bannon to help us out with this.

There's somewhat of an equivalent in law school -- it's called the American Constitution Society. But, like with most left-ish things, the umbrella's a bit too small to cover all the varied constituents -- so little gets *done* and it becomes more of a thing on your resume. This isn't to say it does nothing, but it's nothing comparable to the actual machine that is FedSoc.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Leftists should whine less and instead move to purple/red states or join conservative organizations and subvert them from the inside.

Cut, sorry for the delayed movie responses - they're comin'. Busy at work combined with Westbrook bs and the hell of recent politics have taken me out of the movie mindset at the moment.

Relevant
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:39 am    Post subject:

Durian is delicious
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:20 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Durian is delicious

You're Asian, right? I think you said that before. Assuming you may be accustomed to durian after eating it as a young person, do you think it smells how Westerners think it does? It's one of the few things Andrew Zimmern can't eat and this is a guy who has eaten a plethora of animal genitals and chitterlings. There's a hotel somewhere in Asia that had a sign stating that it was a durian free zone. Prolly because Westerners stayed there.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
governator wrote:
Durian is delicious

You're Asian, right? I think you said that before. Assuming you may be accustomed to durian after eating it as a young person, do you think it smells how Westerners think it does? It's one of the few things Andrew Zimmern can't eat and this is a guy who has eaten a plethora of animal genitals and chitterlings. There's a hotel somewhere in Asia that had a sign stating that it was a durian free zone. Prolly because Westerners stayed there.

good point, it does smell but smells regular to me, nothing foul
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Thank goodness that my filipino in-laws are also repulsed by durian fruit, as I am. I had the misfortune of being near it once.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject:

DELETED DOUBLE POST jodeke

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject:

Durian Fruit: Health Benefits, Nutrition, Uses For Skin And Hair, Recipes, Side Effects

LINK

Durian Fruit Benefit

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject:

Most of us talk to ourselves. Is it time to seek help when we start to answer ourselves?

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Most of us talk to ourselves. Is it time to seek help when we start to answer ourselves?

No, only when you argue with yourself and lose.

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject:

https://imgur.com/gallery/Vr9kejh
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:17 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Thank goodness that my filipino in-laws are also repulsed by durian fruit, as I am. I had the misfortune of being near it once.

the frozen ones in Asian supermarkets usually had lost its pungentness, still sweet but the odor is gone, if you wanna retry it
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject:

I don't like blue cheese at all and I don't think it's only because I encounter cheaply produced bleu in dressing packets. The big 3 bleus are Stilton (Brit), Gorgonzola (Italian), and Roquefort (French). I've seen "how it's made" clips on the first two at least; there's a channel called "Food Insider" that shows how regional foods are made. Both Stilton and Gorgonzol' use Penicillium roqueforti . The most disgusting is gooey Gorgonzol'. That's a less ripened, less fungi'd version that has a gooier consistency than Brie or Camembert. Sh looks vile in that form. I dunno why or how I picked up this aversion to bleu cheese, but I have a similar dislike for buttered popcorn of all things, which everyone loves gnoshing, so go figure. My fave dressings are Italianesque, espec w/ cranberry in there, and I like plain old Thousand Island. I can handle cheesy sauces that aren't bleu. Fondue is great, too, espec when it has Gruyere in it.

Sacre bleu, right?

What kind of cheeses do you LG gormands like?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
I don't like blue cheese at all and I don't think it's only because I encounter cheaply produced bleu in dressing packets. The big 3 bleus are Stilton (Brit), Gorgonzola (Italian), and Roquefort (French). I've seen "how it's made" clips on the first two at least; there's a channel called "Food Insider" that shows how regional foods are made. Both Stilton and Gorgonzol' use Penicillium roqueforti . The most disgusting is gooey Gorgonzol'. That's a less ripened, less fungi'd version that has a gooier consistency than Brie or Camembert. Sh looks vile in that form. I dunno why or how I picked up this aversion to bleu cheese, but I have a similar dislike for buttered popcorn of all things, which everyone loves gnoshing, so go figure. My fave dressings are Italianesque, espec w/ cranberry in there, and I like plain old Thousand Island. I can handle cheesy sauces that aren't bleu. Fondue is great, too, espec when it has Gruyere in it.

Sacre bleu, right?

What kind of cheeses do you LG gormands like?

Comte
Pecorino Romano
Parmesana Reggiano
Jarlsberg
Cheddar
Provalone

Depending upon what I’m pairing it with.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Havarti and Gryuere are nice too, along with port salut. Not a fan of moldy stinky cheeses and nothing from a goat.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Havarti and Gryuere are nice too, along with port salut. Not a fan of moldy stinky cheeses and nothing from a goat.

I'm not a fan of Cheddar and another weirdness I got is that I don't prefer cheese on burgers at all. No idea how or how early that aversion formed, but I never order cheeseburgers. I've had umami burgers sans cheese that blow cheese out of the box, so I think it's superfluous. I understand why someone would order cheese at a place like Denny's, tho. Plain, flavorless burgers sans cheese aren't that wonderful either. It's the kinda thing that if yer gonna eat a hamburger w/ a lot of calories, you might as well eat a good one.

I like Provolone on sangs. It's oddly mild compared to its odor. I watch weird sh on YT like cheese content, but one thing I learned is that Americans used to eat copious amounts of Limberger, which reeks. We're talking 1950s era meals that have grown out of favor over the decades. Now there's only one company that makes all the Limberger that Americans consume in a year. The grossest cheese concept is called Mimollet because the rind is purposely infested w/ cheese mites that eat into it and shed dander and poo into it. Per wiki, that's what the French came up w/ to cut into the Edam (from Netherlands) market in France. It's supposedly mild despite the cheddary color. But it was de Gaulle's fave, and he wasn't renowned for his decisionmaking. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimolette Haven't tried Port Salut, but Trappist cheeses are usually celebrated. The monks apparently preferred stanky cheeses that would stand up to ale, but it's apparently mild. That's an interesting one.

I think cheese is one of those luxury foods such as coffee and beer that Americans weren't educated on for decades. Kraft/Velveeta were what most Americans considered cheese. Same thing happened w/ coffee, at least until the advent of Starbucks, which spurred interest in better grades and preparations of coffee than we were accustomed to. Crap blends of Folgers or Sanka (an abomination to the very notion of coffee) run thru a percolater, which is the worst way to prepare coffee as opposed to a French press. That kind of coffee kept the blithely ignorant Americans content forever because they didn't know any better. Same people who drank instant coffee flakes (ralph...) drank Budweiser. I'm reminded of that scene in "Commendatori" where Paulie Walnuts is disgusted by the squid ink pasta in front of him and he asks for tomato sauce and the Italians said, "And we thought the Germans were classless pieces of sh." while Paulie smiled.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject:

I like Panela and Oaxaca cheeses.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
governator wrote:
Durian is delicious

I'm Asian and I remember being appalled by the smell when I was a kid. I can't handle it. This is coming from someone that has eaten and enjoys pig ears, intestines, heart, tendon, tripe etc etc. Something about it is just off.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
governator wrote:
Durian is delicious

I'm Asian and I remember being appalled by the smell when I was a kid. I can't handle it. This is coming from someone that has eaten and enjoys pig ears, intestines, heart, tendon, tripe etc etc. Something about it is just off.

And Zimmern has eaten the penises of various animals and he can't swallow durian w/o the gag reflex. If HE can't eat it, I wonder how the aversion to the smell is approached by people accustomed to durian. Asian people have commented that Americans smell like beef so perhaps they don't pick up the smell that Westerners first encountering durian have. Or at least they don't pick it up in the same way. I'm also thinking that being able to chew it and get it down for the first few times must also eliminate the mental link of its smell to poo.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Telehealth is (bleep) amazing. It's effective, it's easy, it's quick. I wish more people (patients and providers) would subscribe to its efficacy, even in lieu of routine visits.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:29 pm    Post subject:

I'm talking myself into veganism.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Montreal might be the best.non-LA place in the hemisphere. If the US or California ever went to (bleep), I'd settle here.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:24 pm    Post subject:

I believed the Dodgers would win this years World Series....

Silly me......
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:19 am    Post subject:

I believe in America's potential to be the best nation on earth, but I don't think god chose us or any other nation to be the best or be an example to the rest of the world.

God/the universe/whatever doesn't really "choose" anyone. Some are gifted with more than others and may be meant to achieve greatness, but it's up to them to actually do great things. If you don't take advantage of your gifts, god/the universe won't help you or give you lucky breaks.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:37 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
I believe in America's potential to be the best nation on earth, but I don't think god chose us or any other nation to be the best or be an example to the rest of the world.

God/the universe/whatever doesn't really "choose" anyone. Some are gifted with more than others and may be meant to achieve greatness, but it's up to them to actually do great things. If you don't take advantage of your gifts, god/the universe won't help you or give you lucky breaks.

I've gotten some negative comments for believing this but I think USA is still the best country on earth. There is no such thing as a perfect country but we are still the one country who's taken the largest number immigrants on a consistent basis and as much as we have economically declined for the middle class, we still have one of the best if not the best chance for upward mobility. West europe has better social safety network (including health care), Japan has better safety, Middle east/Brunei gives oil money to citizens but overall, combining positives and negatives, USA is the best place to live
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 70 of 80
Jump to: