Former Gov. Cuomo staffer killed after Lyft driver allegedly demanded passengers exit vehicle in middle of highway

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject: Former Gov. Cuomo staffer killed after Lyft driver allegedly demanded passengers exit vehicle in middle of highway

Quote:
Former Gov. Cuomo staffer killed after Lyft driver allegedly demanded passengers exit vehicle in middle of highway

A former staff member for ex-New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo was killed after a Lyft driver allegedly ordered him and five friends out of a car on Delaware’s Coastal Highway, state police said in a news release.

Just before 1:45 a.m. on July 24, Sidney Wolf, 43, and five others ordered a Lyft to pick them up from Dewey Beach and take them to Bethany Beach, authorities said.

According to the Delaware State Police, at some point during the ride, the Lyft driver and the passengers had a “disagreement,” causing the Lyft driver to end the ride “in the middle of the southbound left lane” of the Coastal Highway and demanded that all six passengers get out of the vehicle.

At the same time, a 2016 Toyota Corolla was traveling southbound and fatally hit Wolf, say police in a press release.

The driver of the Corolla, 27, tried to change lanes to avoid the stopped Lyft vehicle but ultimately did not see Wolf, who “had just exited the right rear passenger seat and was standing in the roadway,” police said.

“After impact, the Corolla immediately pulled over on the southbound shoulder and came to a controlled stop. The Lyft vehicle fled southbound on Coastal Highway immediately after the crash,” reads the press release.

As of Sunday, police said, “The operator or the Lyft vehicle has not been identified yet and remains under investigation.”

CNN has tried to reach Lyft but efforts have not been returned.

In a statement to affiliate WJLA, a Lyft spokesperson said, “We are heartbroken by this incident.”

“Our hearts are with Mr. Wolf’s loved ones during this incredibly difficult time, and we’ve reached out to the ride requester to offer our support,” the statement said. “We have permanently removed the driver from the Lyft community and are in contact with law enforcement to assist with their investigation.”

Police say the other five passengers were not injured.

Cuomo expressed condolences to Wolf’s family on Twitter.

“Shocked & saddened to hear this tragic news,” Cuomo said. “Sid was a phenomenal public servant who worked relentlessly for the betterment of all NY’ers My heart goes out to Lindsey & his two young daughters.”

A GoFundMe page has been established for his survivors.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/27/us/cuomo-staffer-killed-lyft/index.html

Sounds like at least manslaughter, possibly murder
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject:

I could totally see negligent homicide being the charge.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if the Toyota Corolla has any fault in this. Sounds like that car was driving pretty fast to not be able to see a stopped vehicle.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Unless he had a gun or some other weapon, I wouldn't exit his car on the highway at night.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
I wonder if the Toyota Corolla has any fault in this. Sounds like that car was driving pretty fast to not be able to see a stopped vehicle.

It did see the stopped car and avoided it. The person unexpectedly exiting the vehicle in the middle of the highway was the issue. Not sure how they could hold the Corolla driver responsible for failing to avoid him.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject:

1:45 AM. Just playing the events in my head. They were likely drunk and do as drunk people do and behaved obnoxiously. Lyft driver stupidly told them to get out in the middle of the highway. Lady that got hit was probably disoriented from alcohol and didn't see the oncoming traffic. If it was dark and she was standing in the middle of the highway, very little chance Corolla guy would have had the time to stop.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

It did see the stopped car and avoided it. The person unexpectedly exiting the vehicle in the middle of the highway was the issue. Not sure how they could hold the Corolla driver responsible for failing to avoid him.

Well from what I remember, you’re supposed to drive at a safe speed and distance where you can see 300 yds ahead or something:

Quote:
How many seconds should you look ahead on the highway?

Answer: 12 to 15 seconds

Every driver needs to be able to see what is in front of him, to the sides, and in the rear. Being able to see everything clearly helps drivers avoid any last-minute maneuvers. This is why it is recommended that drivers look ahead 12 seconds while driving in the city, and 12 to 15 seconds on the highway.

This Corolla probably only noticed the car at 3-4 seconds or so, that’s why it had to swerve to avoid the car.

Either it was going too fast, or they weren’t paying attention, or there wasn’t enough light.

Since it was 1:25am when it happened, it was probably pitch black. So whatever the speed limit is during the day, they probably had to drive way slower at night due to low visibility.

I think it’s fair to assume that had this happened during the day, the Corolla would have seen the stopped car and wouldn't have had to swerve at the last minute.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject:

That Lyft driver is looking at a 1 Star Rating and No Tip here.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Well from what I remember, you’re supposed to drive at a safe speed and distance where you can see 300 yds ahead or something:

Quote:

Every driver needs to be able to see what is in front of him, to the sides, and in the rear. Being able to see everything clearly helps drivers avoid any last-minute maneuvers. This is why it is recommended that drivers look ahead 12 seconds while driving in the city, and 12 to 15 seconds on the highway.

This Corolla probably only noticed the car at 3-4 seconds or so, that’s why it had to swerve to avoid the car.

Either it was going too fast, or they weren’t paying attention, or there wasn’t enough light.

Since it was 1:25am when it happened, it was probably pitch black. So whatever the speed limit is during the day, they probably had to drive way slower at night due to low visibility.

I think it’s fair to assume that had this happened during the day, the Corolla would have seen the stopped car and wouldn't have had to swerve at the last minute.

Maybe, but pedestrians are hit in the daytime without the driver being at fault and it's conjecture that the Corolla was driving too fast. You are supposed to drive defensively to avoid identifiable hazards and, at least from what's in the article, there's nothing that demonstrably indicates they weren't; after all, the did see and avoid the vehicle. It's just like those situations where someone darts into traffic, or enters the road from behind an obstruction. Drivers typically aren't cited in those situations, and if they are, it's for a minor infraction.

Remember, we are talking about a car in the middle of a highway lane, at night, probably not in a well lit area. Even if they saw the stopped car from a distance and were simply driving around it safely, that doesn't mean they are going to see a person emerging from the car in the middle of traffic.

At any rate, I just don't see how a prosecutor would file charges against the Corolla driver in a case like this without extenuating circumstances like the Corolla driving being impaired (which if they were, would have been determined on scene). They did everything right; stopped right away; waited for authorities and cooperated. They were just an unfortunate factor in an incident they didn't cause.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Quote:

Maybe, but pedestrians are hit in the daytime without the driver being at fault and it's conjecture that the Corolla was driving too fast. You are supposed to drive defensively to avoid identifiable hazards and, at least from what's in the article, there's nothing that demonstrably indicates they weren't; after all, the did see and avoid the vehicle. It's just like those situations where someone darts into traffic, or enters the road from behind an obstruction. Drivers typically aren't cited in those situations, and if they are, it's for a minor infraction.

Remember, we are talking about a car in the middle of a highway lane, at night, probably not in a well lit area. Even if they saw the stopped car from a distance and were simply driving around it safely, that doesn't mean they are going to see a person emerging from the car in the middle of traffic.

At any rate, I just don't see how a prosecutor would file charges against the Corolla driver in a case like this without extenuating circumstances like the Corolla driving being impaired (which if they were, would have been determined on scene). They did everything right; stopped right away; waited for authorities and cooperated. They were just an unfortunate factor in an incident they didn't cause.

Yeah I wasn’t thinking criminal charges. I was thinking civil liabilities.

And cars break down in the middle of the highway. It happens. We see car accidents in the middle of the highway. We see construction in the middle of the highway. There could be first responders in the middle of the highway.

All these things happen. If the handbook says give yourself 12-15 seconds to react to what’s ahead, then the question is, did the Corolla give themselves 12-15 seconds?

I don’t know if they did or didn’t but if they had to swerve at the very last minute then I’m just guessing they never saw that car until 3-4 seconds before they swerved.

That’s just my guess. And I think that’s not allowing yourself enough time to react.

I don’t know if they’d be liable civilly. I’m just putting out the possibility that they might be.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
. . .

Yeah I wasn’t thinking criminal charges. I was thinking civil liabilities.

And cars break down in the middle of the highway. It happens. We see car accidents in the middle of the highway. We see construction in the middle of the highway. There could be first responders in the middle of the highway.

All these things happen. If the handbook says give yourself 12-15 seconds to react to what’s ahead, then the question is, did the Corolla give themselves 12-15 seconds?

I don’t know if they did or didn’t but if they had to swerve at the very last minute then I’m just guessing they never saw that car until 3-4 seconds before they swerved.

That’s just my guess. And I think that’s not allowing yourself enough time to react.

I don’t know if they’d be liable civilly. I’m just putting out the possibility that they might be.

People pursue all kinds of things civilly, and it wouldn't surprise me if the victims family did here, but to my mind, going after a third party who wasn't at all responsible for causing this accident when the actual offender was engaged in criminal liability would be a tough sell. No legal expert, just my opinion.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: