Tony Lee Dow (April 13, 1945 – July 28, 2022)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Tony Lee Dow (April 13, 1945 – July 28, 2022)

'Leave It To Beaver' actor Tony Dow dies at 77 after cancer battle: 'A beautiful soul'

Quote:
"It is with an extremely heavy heart that we share with you the passing of our beloved Tony this morning," a statement from Bilotta and Renee James, Tony's management team, posted on Dow's Facebook page Tuesday said.

"Tony was a beautiful soul - kind, compassionate, funny and humble. It was truly a joy to just be around him. His gentle voice and unpretentious manner was immediately comforting and you could not help but love him," they added.

"The world has lost an amazing human being, but we are all richer for the memories that he has left us. From the warm reminiscences of Wally Cleaver to those of us fortunate enough to know him personally - thank you Tony. And thank you for the reflections of a simpler time, the laughter, the friendship and for the feeling that you were a big brother to us all," the post said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2022/07/26/tony-dow-death-leave-it-to-beaver-wally-cleaver/10153777002/

Last edited by Black20Ice on Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject:

I hope he didn't suffer much during his battle with cancer. RIP.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject:

Wally was level-headed. Always had Beaver's back. Loved the show. RIP Jerry Mathers (Beaver) is the only main character left.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:20 am; edited 2 times in total
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject:

RIP

I enjoyed that show as a kid and as an adult.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject:

Jerry is now the Tina Louise of that show. Has to be rough.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject:

Tony Dow was a fellow Laker fan. He used to be in the 90s NBA on NBC celeb sweeps semi-regularly. Blood hung loose on the medi-ciiiide for as long as he could. Cut him some slack, Jack. His mama didn't raise no dummies.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Tina Louise was also called The Beaver by colleagues.

I agree that being the last one standing is rough on The Beaver.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Other than Jerry Mathers there are a few minor characters still alive. If you want to find out who google cast LEAVE IT TO BEAVER.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Tony Dow:

<python> I'm not dead yet! </python/>
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Tough time to be a gangster. They're dropping like flies.

I did like Leave It To Beaver. One of my favorite shows as a kid.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Leave it to Beaver was an American classic. I recently saw an episode of Adam-12 and he played a role in it.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Apparently he's in hospice care and hasn't passed yet -- per his wife and family.

CNN link

Quote:
After sharing a statement on his verified Facebook account Tuesday morning that Tony Dow, an actor and director best known for his role as older brother Wally Cleaver on "Leave It to Beaver," had died, Dow's management team has removed the statement.

According to Judy Twersky, a longtime friend of Dow's, he was still alive as of 3:30 p.m. ET, when she spoke to Dow's wife, Lauren Dow.

Lauren Dow told Twersky he is still breathing and receiving hospice care. Dow was unclear what happened with the statement from her husband's management team earlier today, Twersky told CNN.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:44 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Apparently he's in hospice care and hasn't passed yet -- per his wife and family.

Hence, the "i'm not dead yet" link above.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Yeah, but do you maybe think </python/> may have confused the issue? Caused some ambiguity, and confusion?

Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject:

And apparently now he is gone. Rest easy Wally.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

When I heard hospice I thought that would be the outcome.

Hospice is a homelike setting allowing a quality of life to be maintained and family members may be active participants in care.

He most likely had family members there when he passed. RIP Wally

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Yeah, but do you maybe think </python/> may have confused the issue? Caused some ambiguity, and confusion?

"Not dead yet" is pretty clear . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

"Not dead yet" is pretty clear . . .

OK. My confusion is </python/> . What does that mean?

Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:46 am    Post subject:

'Leave It to Beaver' actor Tony Dow dies at 77 after entering hospice

Quote:
"We have received confirmation from Christopher, Tony’s son, that Tony passed away earlier this morning, with his loving family at his side to see him through this journey," a post from Dow's official Facebook page read. "We know that the world is collectively saddened by the loss of this incredible man. He gave so much to us all and was loved by so many."

Dow's son said he has "comfort and peace that he is in a better place."

"He was the best Dad anyone could ask for," Christopher's statement read. "He was my coach, my mentor, my voice of reason, my best friend, my best man in my wedding, and my hero. My wife said something powerful and shows the kind of man he was. She said: 'Tony was such a kind man. He had such a huge heart and I’ve never heard Tony say a bad or negative thing about anyone.' "

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2022/07/27/tony-dow-dead-cancer-leave-it-to-beaver/10161077002/
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Eddie Haskell is still alive. Suck-up flattery GOAT. Even still, Mrs. C was immune to his charms. Joanie's pal Jenny Piccolo from Happy Days was a female Eddie spinoff. Jason Bateman was an Eddie rip in Silver Spoons, too. I can understand how Josh Brolin resurrected his career as an adult actor 20 years after The Goonies, but how Bateman reinvigorated his career after 80s sitcoms and Teen Wolf Too! is an amazing example of that phenomenon. He's a major outlier in that respect. Schroder was in NYPD Blue, to boot, but he's a Trumpster so no lauds from me.

In Sops, Chrissy's movie "Cleaver"'s working title was "Cleaver: The Jerry Mathers Connection". I remember it taking me a minute to figure that reference out even tho I knew who JM was.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Other than Jerry Mathers there are a few minor characters still alive. If you want to find out who google cast LEAVE IT TO BEAVER.

Those were just jokes, Jodie. I was just enjoying a little piggish misogyny for yucks.

Believe it or not, I'm old enough to have seen many a Beav episode in syndication. It has reliably re-ran on TV Land, et al, especially since the 90s. It's a cute show. I also watched it here and there in the 80s as a kid. That was back when they were still running Beaver, Gilligan, Munsters, 3 Stooges, and other black and white era shows on regular VHF channels. I'm about the age limit of understanding why Barbara Billingsley translating jive is a funny skit. Anyone younger than me usually has no clue who she is when they do Youtube movie reaction vids on Airplane! Inherent joke is that June Cleaver was the LAST person who would be expected to speak jive back then. If you don't know who June Cleaver is, you only get "idea that an older white lady translating jive is a ridiculous premise", which is only 50% of the joke.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jodeke wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Those were just jokes, Jodie. I was just enjoying a little piggish misogyny for yucks.

Believe it or not, I'm old enough to have seen many a Beav episode in syndication. It has reliably re-ran on TV Land, et al, especially since the 90s. It's a cute show. I also watched it here and there in the 80s as a kid. That was back when they were still running Beaver, Gilligan, Munsters, 3 Stooges, and other black and white era shows on regular VHF channels. I'm about the age limit of understanding why Barbara Billingsley translating jive is a funny skit. Anyone younger than me usually has no clue who she is when they do Youtube movie reaction vids on Airplane! Inherent joke is that June Cleaver was the LAST person who would be expected to speak jive back then. If you don't know who June Cleaver is, you only get "idea that an older white lady translating jive is a ridiculous premise", which is only 50% of the joke.

That is classic.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Eddie Haskell is still alive. Suck-up flattery GOAT. Even still, Mrs. C was immune to his charms. Joanie's pal Jenny Piccolo from Happy Days was a female Eddie spinoff. Jason Bateman was an Eddie rip in Silver Spoons, too. I can understand how Josh Brolin resurrected his career as an adult actor 20 years after The Goonies, but how Bateman reinvigorated his career after 80s sitcoms and Teen Wolf Too! is an amazing example of that phenomenon. He's a major outlier in that respect. Schroder was in NYPD Blue, to boot, but he's a Trumpster so no lauds from me.

In Sops, Chrissy's movie "Cleaver"'s working title was "Cleaver: The Jerry Mathers Connection". I remember it taking me a minute to figure that reference out even tho I knew who JM was.

Sadly, Eddie died a couple years ago.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Haha. Nevermind then. Cut me some slack, Jack!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Haha. Nevermind then. Cut me some slack, Jack!

Ken Osmond (Eddie) was an LAPD officer after Leave It To Beaver shut down.

Osmond spent 18 years with the LAPD when, in 1980, a suspected car thief shot him three times. He was left severely wounded but survived. The shooting effectively ended his days on the force. He returned to acting in 1983. May 18, 2020

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: