Curry says 2017 Warriors would beat 2001 Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject:

He can say anything since he know we’ll never find out.

RIP Kobe.
Robblake
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:27 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
I think this is tough question to answer.

I think people are right Kobe can guard Curry and Fox can handle Klay.

But I don't think you look at 1-1 matchups.

I think the Warriors would try to neutralize Shaq defensively by doing some pick & pop..force him to come out or switch onto a 3 point shooter.

And defensively they can try to play small ball or "smaller ball"..double team Shaq in the post and force the Lakers to beat them from 3, which the Warriors would be much better at if it becomes a 3 point contest.

Double Shaq.. he still putting up 35-40.. possibly more if we move it to today’s reffing. Shaq is an enigma. He’s also a big guy that has great speed and fast feet. It really comes down too if support guys can hit the three or not because Kobe can handle the defense from iggy/Thompson
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject:

We had the ideal defense and offense that year. Steph and Klay are obviously great 3 ball shooters yes, but 2001 playoffs Fisher was red hot from three point land - the hottest he would ever be in his whole career so Im not so sure anyone would be more efficient than him shooting the 3ball. That SA Spurs series where he made 15/20 three pointers.....yea good luck double-teaming Shaq where u have a red hot Fisher, Kobe, Fox and Horry out on the perimeter. Oh u dont want to double team Shaq......)))))) BBQ Chicken time
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think people forget how good the team defense was on the Lakers. Fisher/Fox/Kobe were a very awesome perimeter trio defensively.

It would be comical to watch Dray try to guard Shaq. 3 fouls in the 1st quarter level comical.

They’d get blown off. Shaq alone would probably score 100 points
in a game like that and who’s stopping Kobe? Yeah right: LOL.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Nobody is stopping Curry, Durant, Shaq or Kobe.

So now its down to role players such as Klay and such as Rick Fox and such as Fisher.

What Kobe did against the Spurs that year was one of the single most dominant performances against a Popovich team I've ever seen.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:29 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
Shaq that year was GOAT level imo.. Not a single player I take over him if we're talking just 2001. Then you had Kobe who was a better defender and overall player then anyone on there roster as well.. I could see Curry having multiple awful games and the only player I see consistently putting up numbers nightly on the Warriors in that series would be KD but it just wouldn't be enough.

I get Curry picking his own team but the 2001 Lakers would make easy work out of the 2017 Warriors.. Just a brutally awful matchup.
Wasn't Shaq more GOAT level in 99-00? Just destroying worlds.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject:

We must ask ourselves what rules are we playing by first? The rules in 2000...no zone and no three second violation and no hand check rules...or are we playing by today's standard softball rules?

If you playing by 2000 standards LOL...Shaq can stay in the paint all day and Kobe can really D you up...Good Luck.

Next is who going to guard Shaq? Drammond?...LOL... Go ask Cuban how thats going to work? Cuban Always had Atleast THREE Centers just for Shaq. Why? Because he knew ALL of them was going to foul out. Shaq would end up fouling out all their centers.

That leaves Kobe...You cant guard Kpbe with one person..Why they think people had to Double him ANND Shaq. Laterally if the Lakers Team had a random guy of Fisher or Fox or Horry show up it was literally GAME OVER. You can shoot those 3's all you want like Sacramento anybody remember Turk..Peja...Bibby? or Dallas Finly? It didnt work because you come to find out your Center and Guard Positions was getting Fouled out...pfft lol!!
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

I think the Warriors would try to neutralize Shaq defensively by doing some pick & pop..force him to come out or switch onto a 3 point shooter.

And defensively they can try to play small ball or "smaller ball"..double team Shaq in the post and force the Lakers to beat them from 3, which the Warriors would be much better at if it becomes a 3 point contest.

People really under estimate Klay's game and think can easily be shutdown. That guy puts up 22ppg barely putting the ball on the floor. He's what you call straight catch and shoot player. He takes them well guarded too. Plays both side of the ball.

Warriors will clearly trade your 2 for their 3... They will make Shaq/Kobe work for each of their points.

It would be interesting to see what Warriors fans would say. I’ll bet they say the Warriors win in 4 or 5. A high scoring Milwaukee Bucks team swept that Lakers team (just 2 games though) and I still see people say that Bucks team would easily win a hypothetical matchup. So you know Warriors fans would say they’ll crush.

I’m still taking the Lakers. I think Shaq was looking at that roster and thinking there is less to worry about than the bigger front lines he faced in 2001.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
lar9149 wrote:

People really under estimate Klay's game and think can easily be shutdown. That guy puts up 22ppg barely putting the ball on the floor. He's what you call straight catch and shoot player. He takes them well guarded too. Plays both side of the ball.

Warriors will clearly trade your 2 for their 3... They will make Shaq/Kobe work for each of their points.

It would be interesting to see what Warriors fans would say. I’ll bet they say the Warriors win in 4 or 5. A high scoring Milwaukee Bucks team swept that Lakers team (just 2 games though) and I still see people say that Bucks team would easily win a hypothetical matchup. So you know Warriors fans would say they’ll crush.

I’m still taking the Lakers. I think Shaq was looking at that roster and thinking there is less to worry about than the bigger front lines he faced in 2001.

Do we need to account for Phil Jackson also?

His coaching style I believe is unique and something no coaches have been able to copy to this day. I mean I have seen Jackson's teams that made great comebacks and defeat teams that I taught had clear mismatches yet the Lakers still wins the series.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:01 pm    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
We must ask ourselves what rules are we playing by first? The rules in 2000...no zone and no three second violation and no hand check rules...or are we playing by today's standard softball rules?

If you playing by 2000 standards LOL...Shaq can stay in the paint all day and Kobe can really D you up...Good Luck.

Next is who going to guard Shaq? Drammond?...LOL... Go ask Cuban how thats going to work? Cuban Always had Atleast THREE Centers just for Shaq. Why? Because he knew ALL of them was going to foul out. Shaq would end up fouling out all their centers.

That leaves Kobe...You cant guard Kpbe with one person..Why they think people had to Double him ANND Shaq. Laterally if the Lakers Team had a random guy of Fisher or Fox or Horry show up it was literally GAME OVER. You can shoot those 3's all you want like Sacramento anybody remember Turk..Peja...Bibby? or Dallas Finly? It didnt work because you come to find out your Center and Guard Positions was getting Fouled out...pfft lol!!

Shaq and Kobe will for sure put up numbers. It's about the rest of the guys. This is about scoring at the end of the day. Warriors average like 121ppg in the Finals, and 115ppg during regular season that year. 2001 Lakers averaged like 100ppg.

Shaq can stay in the paint all day? What rule allows him to do that? Warriors had multiple bigs they can throw at Shaq. Zaza/McGee/West/Looney and none of those guys are focal point of their offense. So them being in foul trouble does not really hurt them that much.

Not to mention their wings are all 6'6 and taller they can throw at Kobe... Klay/KD/Iggy/Livingston/Green.

Yea were comparing Turk/Peja/Bibby to Curry/Klay/KD now?
Dominic1981
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:03 pm    Post subject:

I think the 2001 Lakers would handle the 2017 Warriors quite easily. The key to these questions I think, is which team will have an easier time scoring? For me its the Lakers, bc of Shaq. Sure the Warriors had perimeter scoring options, but the Lakers were built to defend teams like that. Horry, Kobe, Fox were all long athletic defenders that could contest perimeter players. Whereas the Warriors have nobody that could contest Shaq.

My top 3 teams since the 1990s.

95-96 Bulls
00-01 Lakers
16-17 Warriors

I think the Bulls would lock up the Warriors quite easily, and they'd beat the Lakers.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Eh, at least it filled two LG pages of Summer material. Like this question hasn’t been beaten to death on every single Lakers platform know to man.

Mychel Thompson thinks the 2015 and 2016 Warriors could beat Showtime by the way. And he was on those teams.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:24 pm    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:
I think the 2001 Lakers would handle the 2017 Warriors quite easily. The key to these questions I think, is which team will have an easier time scoring? For me its the Lakers, bc of Shaq. Sure the Warriors had perimeter scoring options, but the Lakers were built to defend teams like that. Horry, Kobe, Fox were all long athletic defenders that could contest perimeter players. Whereas the Warriors have nobody that could contest Shaq.

My top 3 teams since the 1990s.

95-96 Bulls
00-01 Lakers
16-17 Warriors

I think the Bulls would lock up the Warriors quite easily, and they'd beat the Lakers.

As great as those 1996-1998 Bulls were, even they struggled against teams that were faster, stronger and more athletic than they were....if u could take the 1997 and 1998 Lakers and add 3 more years of experience and cohesiveness to those players, those Lakers would not only beat the Bulls, but absolutely clobber them. Those Bulls had a very hard time against a Laker team with a Kobe that wasnt even ready and had to force the Lakers to play a half court game, knowing an up-tempo game would mean a definite L. They had 0 answers to the Lakers post-up game other than the temporary fix of putting Rodman on young Shaq but it wasnt just Shaq. Elden Campbell could and did destroy the Bulls as well. The Bulls especially had 0 answers for Nick Van Exel - a big-time clutch player who always got up for a marquee matchup and went off on Ron Harper, Randy Brown or Steve Kerr. They actually had to put Pippen on Van Exel and while he could somewhat bother Nick with his length, even he was not cure-all. Kobe and Eddie Jones can and did somewhat contain Michael. When I watched the 1997 and 1998 Lakers vs Bulls matchup, I remember thinking we are the perfect foil for these guys and give it time especially if that Bryant kid grows up and becomes a star - if Bryant becomes a star, these Bulls run of reign definitely has an expiration date and it will be to our Lakers.

Its a damn shame we gave up Van Exel, Jones and Campbell. Had we kept all three really good players in 2001 (all of whom played well against the 1996-1998 Bulls) - Jones was a top 3 SG, Van Exel was near all-star quality and Campbell was a solid center for the Hornets - I would say 100% for sure the 2001 Lakers would absolutely demolish the 1996 Bulls
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:39 am    Post subject:

All depends on the rules. Playing with 2001 rules? I pick Shaq/Kobe. If we play with today's rules, Curry is right. Phil Jackson is a factor too, he is tailor made for situations and match ups like that, and as good as Kerr is, PJ is a big advantage for the Lakers.

We would be able to run the Triangle with the 2001 rules and feed Shaq. With the current NBA rules, the way teams play, again, would be tough. The officials call it different now as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject:

Steph is smoking too much…LOL

Firstly that Lakers team was too long and athletic and their defense was solid and they probably go BIG against them early.

Steph - Klay - Durant - Draymond - Pachulla/McGee
Harper - Kobe - Fox - Horry - Shaq

The Lakers had much more skilled depth and vet experience in their second unit:
Livingston - Young - Iggy - Looney - West
Fish - Rider - Shaw - George - Grant

You have to account for Shaq and Kobe’s Dominance on the floor together, in all honesty that Lakers team dominated opponents and I haven’t seen anything like it! Sorry Steph pick another laker team….
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:00 am    Post subject:

Shaq put up 40-20 against better bigs and as good as KD and Curry is, Kobe was better
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject:

Nobody on the Warriors could have stopped Shaq or Kobe. Kobe would have made it a personal mission to shut down Curry or Durant. I think the rest of the team would have stepped up also for the Lakers.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject:

If you're gonna try and bring Shaq to the perimeter you have to hope that you make more 2's than they make 3's. Shaq needs to be in shape, but the fact of the matter is that no one on the Warriors can handle Shaq. Someone is going to be in foul trouble 5 minutes into the 1st. Then it becomes can the Warriors play defense against Kobe and Shaq without fouling. If it becomes that kind of game Lakers win easily. The game will slow down and Warriors won't be able to gather that fast paced game they want if every other play they are worried about fouling.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject:

Are you guys forgetting about KD? I don't know who wins but Kobe could never guard KD well. No one can.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Are you guys forgetting about KD? I don't know who wins but Kobe could never guard KD well. No one can.

Kobe guards KD, makes him take 30 shots to get 23 points. KD uses twitter burner account to talk about how KD was upset at the things Lakers fans were saying to him on sideline. Lakers in 5
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Nobody is stopping Curry, Durant, Shaq or Kobe.

So now its down to role players such as Klay and such as Rick Fox and such as Fisher.

What Kobe did against the Spurs that year was one of the single most dominant performances against a Popovich team I've ever seen.

2017 Klay, I dont think is a role player. He was an all-star and borderline all-nba defensive 2nd team in 2017 and averaged 22pts, 4reb, 2asst on 47% FG, 41% threes and 84% FT's as the THIRD option behind both PRIME 28 year old STEPH and KD. That's crazy production from 2 MVP caliber players in front of you.
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject:

A better argument is 2002 Lakers vs 2020 Lakers.

2002 Lakers = 58-24, 70% win pct
2020 Lakers = 52-19, 73% win pct

2002 Lakers = 15-4 playoffs
2020 Lakers = 16-5 playoffs

2002 Lakers = Fisher/Kobe/Fox/Horry/Shaq with George, Samaki, Shaw, Hunter bench
2020 Lakers = LeBron/DG/KCP/Morris/AD with Kuzma, Rondo, Caruso, Dwight bench

I got 2020 Lakers in 7.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject:

2001 rules - lakers in 4 to 5
2017 rules- warriors in 4 to 5

2001- hand checking was still allowed, illegal defense in place, no defensive 3

so Warriors would have to send double teams to Shaq every single trip down the court, they can't just fake a double team and shadow try to confuse shaq. as good of a player as DG is, he can't handle Shaq one on one, i am not sure a double team from KD would help much. Lakers were shooting well from the 3 that playoff run.
on defense, if hand checking were still allowed, it would be easier to slow Steph/Klay/KD in oppose to today's rules. the foul baiting technique was a non factor back then.
2017 rules- warriors would probably run circles around that lakers team.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Kobe guards KD, makes him take 30 shots to get 23 points. KD uses twitter burner account to talk about how KD was upset at the things Lakers fans were saying to him on sideline. Lakers in 5

This is dumb. No one shuts down KD like that.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Marcellus: 2017 finals GS 3pt% is equal to… drum roll… 2001 finals Lakers 3pt%
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7
Jump to: