The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 174, 175, 176 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject:

After reading comments about Hustle, I saw it. Very good movie. Thanks for the recommendation. After seeing that, I got in the mood for some Adam Sandler movies so I ended up binge watching Happy Gilmore and Grown Ups 1 & 2.

Here is my contribution to a good film recommendation. Passengers with Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence. Saw it in theaters when it first came out and saw it again last week. I enjoyed it more the second time around even though I saw it on a small laptop screen.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Watched "Born on the Fourth of July." Absolutely loved it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
After reading comments about Hustle, I saw it. Very good movie. Thanks for the recommendation. After seeing that, I got in the mood for some Adam Sandler movies so I ended up binge watching Happy Gilmore and Grown Ups 1 & 2.

Here is my contribution to a good film recommendation. Passengers with Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence. Saw it in theaters when it first came out and saw it again last week. I enjoyed it more the second time around even though I saw it on a small laptop screen.

You might like RISE. It's a good basketball movie.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Watched "Born on the Fourth of July." Absolutely loved it.

First half hour of that is Garden of Edeny down to the dappled sunlight and pollen/seeds falling off of trees, conveying a theme of life/regeneration/abundance/innocence of youth (in ref to Cruise's decision to join the military on principle for a war that was unprincipled as compared to WWII, as his father intimated). Repressed attitudes towards young angst/"love" and/or sexual inklings was well-treated since Kovic lost out big on that part of life (Moon River dance scene which was great, his girl at a further level of maturity than young Ron at age 10, mom finding teen Ron's Playboy, etc). Rest was dour and harsh as it needed to be given the subject. Stone wasn't deliberately screwing w/ history til JFK, but I love that first half hour with the inclusion of Kennedy's "Ask NOT!" speech on the TV. Berenger and Dafoe instantly make you think of Oliver's Platoon. PS: I think it's pretty obvious that Born7/4 informed Forrest Gump to a large extent despite the different moods of both movies. Same themes cropped up w/ Lt. Dan vs Dafoe, Kovic loving his girl from the past who changed over time a la Gump and Jen-nay, etc.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:30 am    Post subject:

"Oh, you like shawarma and bi-bim-bap? Well, la dee da, Mr. Fancy Pants! Look at this highfalutin, high brow gatekeeper enjoyin' eatin' his ok-uh-no-mi-yaki, whatever that is!"

- Idiots who think watching movies from non-English speaking countries is 'elitist'
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
"Oh, you like shawarma and bi-bim-bap? Well, la dee da, Mr. Fancy Pants! Look at this highfalutin, high brow gatekeeper enjoyin' eatin' his ok-uh-no-mi-yaki, whatever that is!"

- Idiots who think watching movies from non-English speaking countries is 'elitist'

If an idiot can offhandedly reference asian dishes and the word highfalutin, they are definitely a closeted kinosexual.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:25 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

If an idiot can offhandedly reference asian dishes and the word highfalutin, they are definitely a closeted kinosexual.

Touche, Cut. But I feel like sushi is a more anodyne cross-cultural experience for most boring Americans these days than even a general appreciation of populist genius Akira Kurosawa's films. That seems a shame. High and Low is better by medium than the best Philadelphia roll, tbh.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pope_of_Greenwich_Village

Just watched "The Pope Of Greenwich Village" (1984) a couple times on free YT movie chan. First time I've had a chance to peep it anywhere on TV since 2018 when I lost it on my DVR. It was long enough ago that I was able to do a full sit-down and then another. Love that one and my late pops did as well, which is partly why. Eric Roberts, Mickey Rourke, Daryl Hannah, Burt Young as duh boss. Frank Vincent, Tony Lip (Carmine Lupertazzi Sr), and Beansie (not surprisingly) were in cameos (cuz anything mob related from the 70s til they died, they wuz all gonna be in it).

I've mentioned this one before and Omar was all...here's Eric Roberts', "THEY TOOK MY THUMB, CHAAAHLIE!" scene and then C M B was all, "Really, NPZ?..." Cmon! They both were all (with exaggerated New York Italian-American hand gesticulations)..."AOOOW! NPZ, you're whackadoo! Mad'onne..."

Eric is Eric. You've seen "Star 80" at least once. He didn't play characters, he played HIMSELF playing a character. Beyond that, there's a lot of character development in this one, which is admirable for this kind of flick. There's a great scene with M. Emmet Walsh and an older Geraldine Page that was well acted. Eric is forgivable on the whole, is what I'm sayin. And his character is a whackadoo. He also spiked the drink of a cop who towed his car with a horse laxative. It's probably the best role Burt Young got in his last 3 decades. I suspect that he got a cameo in a Soprano's epi because he played a heavy in this one. It's one of those flicks that I know David Chase had to have liked because of sheer actor crossover.

Beginning of the movie shoots Mickey at chest level putting on his suit, tie, cufflinks, and looking in various places where he had money squirreled away (clearly a scene replicated at start of "Schindler's List" w/ Liam: tie going up into a knot, Liam finding money in drawers/pockets, Mickey's careful placement of his tie tack as the last shot vs Liam doing the same w/ his swastika pin were identical shots). Dunno if that scene is a convention from an earlier film than "Pope", but if not, if you check those scenes back to back, they look identical. Wonder if Stephen copied "Pope" or if "Pope" copied something earlier.

Ebert's review: https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-pope-of-greenwich-village-1984

This movie is not really about anything except behavior, and the only human drama in it is the story of the safecracker and his family. That doesn't mean it's not worth seeing. The behavior is well-observed, although Eric Roberts has a tendency to go over the top in his mannered performance...

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:28 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pope_of_Greenwich_Village

Just watched "The Pope Of Greenwich Village" (1984) a couple times on free YT movie chan. First time I've had a chance to peep it anywhere on TV since 2018 when I lost it on my DVR. It was long enough ago that I was able to do a full sit-down and then another. Love that one and my late pops did as well, which is partly why. Eric Roberts, Mickey Rourke, Daryl Hannah, Burt Young as duh boss. Frank Vincent, Tony Lip (Carmine Lupertazzi Sr), and Beansie (not surprisingly) were in cameos (cuz anything mob related from the 70s til they died, they wuz all gonna be in it).

I've mentioned this one before and Omar was all...here's Eric Roberts', "THEY TOOK MY THUMB, CHAAAHLIE!" scene and then C M B was all, "Really, NPZ?..." Cmon! They both were all (with exaggerated New York Italian-American hand gesticulations)..."AOOOW! NPZ, you're whackadoo! Mad'onne..."

Eric is Eric. You've seen "Star 80" at least once. He didn't play characters, he played HIMSELF playing a character. Beyond that, there's a lot of character development in this one, which is admirable for this kind of flick. There's a great scene with M. Emmet Walsh and an older Geraldine Page that was well acted. Eric is forgivable on the whole, is what I'm sayin. And his character is a whackadoo. He also spiked the drink of a cop who towed his car with a horse laxative. It's probably the best role Burt Young got in his last 3 decades. I suspect that he got a cameo in a Soprano's epi because he played a heavy in this one. It's one of those flicks that I know David Chase had to have liked because of sheer actor crossover.

Beginning of the movie shoots Mickey at chest level putting on his suit, tie, cufflinks, and looking in various places where he had money squirreled away (clearly a scene replicated at start of "Schindler's List" w/ Liam: tie going up into a knot, Liam finding money in drawers/pockets, Mickey's careful placement of his tie tack as the last shot vs Liam doing the same w/ his swastika pin were identical shots). Dunno if that scene is a convention from an earlier film than "Pope", but if not, if you check those scenes back to back, they look identical. Wonder if Stephen copied "Pope" or if "Pope" copied something earlier.

Ebert's review: https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-pope-of-greenwich-village-1984

This movie is not really about anything except behavior, and the only human drama in it is the story of the safecracker and his family. That doesn't mean it's not worth seeing. The behavior is well-observed, although Eric Roberts has a tendency to go over the top in his mannered performance...

Maybe the worst Eric Roberts performance ever? There's the occasional film where I've appreciated his vibe, but Eric Roberts is who Nic Cage's dumbsht detractors think Nic Cage is.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Maybe the worst Eric Roberts performance ever? There's the occasional film where I've appreciated his vibe, but Eric Roberts is who Nic Cage's dumbsht detractors think Nic Cage is.

I'm sure he's had many more roles since 84 that were dogs w/ fleas, but I've been able to avoid everything else of his but Star 80 (1983) where he played the creep who killed Playboy playmate Dorothy Stratton. I remember that movie on when I was a kid and I probably watched it in full as an adult for prurient interests re: the Hemingway girl who was nekkid a lot. More nudity than even Body Heat had, cmon. Going by his filmography, he was actually nominated for an Oscar as supporting actor in an 85 flick called Runaway Train. Never seen that one, but he got a Golden Globe nom for best actor for Star 80.

After Runaway Train, it would appear that these bodies and studios/casting directors wised up and it has been Palookaville for Eric since then. He's been in more movies than Michael Caine and Sam Jackson combined. One thing is that in his youth, that mofo was one of the MOST lookalike non-twin, different-sex sibs I've ever seen. Same mouth as Julia. I'm not even that sold on her acting prowess, so I'll refrain from the "he didn't get his sister's talent" snipe. Star 80 role was good for him because the guy was a king creep which was in Eric's wheelhouse. It's like Keanu in River's Edge (1986) as a dumbass stoner teen. One of his best early roles because he basically acted as himself. Good flick if you haven't seen that yet, btw. Dennis Hopper plays a weird sociopath in that as a nice change of pace. Great to see Dennis playing a psycho for once.

RE: Cage, I thought he started off trying as an actor and got bloated as time went on. Either that or he was unlucky and got a cascade of crappy roles offered to him for a long stretch. Possible because it happened to Travolta to a worse extent. They wanted him as the Brad character in Fast Times (filmed in 1981), but he was 17 so they had to put him in the background. Heckerling and casting director thought he was talented then as she stated in the DVD extras. I agree. I've seen Valley Girl (1983) and I thought he was good in that one, a movie which certainly didn't require any effort, tho I appreciate 80s kitsch. Yer talking a highly dated teen flick from a gurl'z perspective, so not exactly Shakespeare, but he made his character quirky enough to keep the movie afloat. Most of that movie was incredibly vapid on purpose.

I saw the 1984 flick Birdy w/ him and Matt Modine. Good movie, small indy, it won some top award at Cannes that year, but a very obscure title. Only got it because it was latter VHS rental era with my store having a ton of old titles. Again, tho, another earnestly played character (vet w/ emotional disabilities). I saw Peggy Sue Got Married (1987) for first time last year and again, a quirky character w/ a weirdly-affected accent that somehow worked after awhile. He was good in Leaving Las Vegas (1995) obviously, but that movie was so dour, it's a one-time watch. Haven't seen it since it debuted on cable. 8mm (1999) and Bringing Out The Dead (1999) were like that as well. Saw all 3 only once. Dead might be my least favorite Scorsese picture. 8mm reminded me of an attempt at Silence Of The Lambs that didn't hit its mark for various reasons. 8mm didn't need semen flings, lotion baskets, or contrived female pubic mounds by a man wearing dead human skin to be gross. Haven't seen Adaptation (2002) yet, which I just heard Ebert lauding in an old YT clip an hour ago. Might check it.

That's the breadth of my Cage/Coppola viewing. I read that he was considered for the Mickey Rourke role in The Wrestler (2008). Glad they went Rourke, but because it was a great flick as is. I would gladly see the Cage version if there was one, tho. Would be interesting to see how he would've approached that. The girl in it who was giddy to post about Kobe's Eagle crap while his wreckage was still smouldering is offputting now, unfortunately. Not even Marisa cancels her out.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Directed by

__________ and ___________

When I see that I know I'm in for an annoying movie experience.*

* Powell & Pressburger the only ones to pull it off
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Directed by

Safdie? Coen?

I guess what I'm asking is - are you saying that the only diretor-duo that *doesn't* annoy you is Powell & Pressburger?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Directed by

Safdie? Coen?

I guess what I'm asking is - are you saying that the only diretor-duo that *doesn't* annoy you is Powell & Pressburger?

Blood relatives are exempt and brothers directing together have a high hit rate.*

I'm talking about weenies like The Daniels and the folks who brought us Half Nelson and Captain Marvel amongst others.

*What we need now is a directing duo of sisters.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Directed by

Safdie? Coen?

Blood relatives are exempt and brothers directing together have a high hit rate.*

I'm talking about weenies like The Daniels and the folks who brought us Half Nelson and Captain Marvel amongst others.

Ahh, got it. Yeah, man, (bleep) those guys. I hate even referring to them as the Daniels - soulless tools making empty spectacles for the Marvel rotted A-24 brain.

As to sisters . . . I guess we got the Wachowskis! And that sister duo from Canada making schlocky horror stuff
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Directed by

Safdie? Coen?

Ahh, got it. Yeah, man, (bleep) those guys. I hate even referring to them as the Daniels - soulless tools making empty spectacles for the Marvel rotted A-24 brain.

As to sisters . . . I guess we got the Wachowskis! And that sister duo from Canada making schlocky horror stuff

Please tell me more ...
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject:

I can feel the Waititi backlash coming and it's going to be glorious
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject:

I can feel the Waititi backlash coming and it's going to be glorious

agree.

Soska Sisters
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:08 pm    Post subject:

As a non-fan of Bob's Burgers, getting Bob's Burgers in bite sized film form with a good sized movie budget was quite lovely. Through longevity it's become a transgressive piece of corporate art against derivative corporate animated art by default.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:41 am    Post subject:

"Wild Bill" (1995). Didn't like it on first view, but it's grown on me. I initially considered it way too hokey and thus was more or less, "WTF". But now I consider it way too hokey and am more or less, "I can sorta understand that this is heavily stylized". Coens done used the same end credits song ("The Everlasting Arm") in the "True Grit" remake. Can't be a coinkydink. Barkin is annoying, but there's still enough good elsewhere. David Arquette as the weird kid who (spoiler) shot Wild Bill was an obvious casting as a weird twerp (that was his schtick on talk shows at the time). In that sense, I disagree w/ the haterz. He could've played Charles Guiteau (killer of Pres. Garfield) in another movie. Chas looked jenky like David does.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Trying to make it through the new Jurassic Park movie.

How did they find a way to make dinosaurs boring?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Directed by

Safdie? Coen?

The Russo brothers are corporate stooge hacks, of course.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:19 pm    Post subject:

In Time starring Justin Timberlake.
Good movie. Very good storyline. A world where currency is time.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:13 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
In Time starring Justin Timberlake.
Good movie. Very good storyline. A world where currency is time.

In a wooorld where currency is TIME...

Justin Timberlake stars....IN Time...
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject:

I'll post again, the maturation PTA makes from aping Scorsese and Altman in the very fine Boogie Nights to his matured interpolation of motifs, themes, and scenes into his work from Punch Drunk Love to the present is impressive, exciting, and undeniable growth as a brilliant filmmaker.

PTA's inversion of The Passionate Friends New Years Eve party scene in Phantom Thread is one of the great modern cinematic achievements.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject:

The Card Counter is an all-time great American movie. Dying on that shallow hill.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 174, 175, 176 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 175 of 189
Jump to: