LONNIE WALKER IV signs with Nets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject:

League Averages

Looks like 35.4% 3p%
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
League Averages

Looks like 35.4% 3p%

I think the league average on "Open" threes is 36.9 and he was 36. So pretty much less than a percentage away. Not really a "knock".

epic_ wrote:
3 Point %

2019 - 38.5% on 0.8 attempts, 33.3% on c&s, 40.0% wide open
2020 - 40.6% on 1.7 attempts, 40.7% on c&s, 40.3% wide open
2021 - 35.5% on 4.7 attempts, 38.4% on c&s, 38.6% wide open
2022 - 31.4% on 5.0 attempts, 33.2% on c&s, 32.4% wide open

He had a down year last year for some reason, especially in the first half of the season. I don't think he just forgot how to shoot all of a sudden. We'll see how he does this year.

Yeah he picked it up later in the season.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:49 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:
League Averages

Looks like 35.4% 3p%

I think the league average on "Open" threes is 36.9 and he was 36. So pretty much less than a percentage away. Not really a "knock".

epic_ wrote:
3 Point %

He had a down year last year for some reason, especially in the first half of the season. I don't think he just forgot how to shoot all of a sudden. We'll see how he does this year.

Yeah he picked it up later in the season.

He actually can shoot.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
3 Point %

He didn’t forget. He started taking them. His attempts more than doubled from year 2-3 and went up again in year 4. The more he shot the more the percentages dropped. You could argue the gravity from LeBron and AD will improve his opportunities, but as I posted earlier, it’s not like he was lights out when wide open. He’s going to need to make significant improvements on both ends to be effective.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Welcome Lonnie but I’m gonna warn ya. Pitch fork Nation are already out since ya got the TPMLE you better hit those open shots

I think people will be alright with his offense. He will have some athletic/highlight moments that will likely make up for some slightly sub par shooting stretches. He just needs to make sure he’s not the weak link on D.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:49 pm    Post subject:

I think more and more people are coming around the signing, he’s gonna make a difference in a lot of games next year.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
epic_ wrote:
3 Point %

He didn’t forget. He started taking them. His attempts more than doubled from year 2-3 and went up again in year 4. The more he shot the more the percentages dropped. You could argue the gravity from LeBron and AD will improve his opportunities, but as I posted earlier, it’s not like he was lights out when wide open. He’s going to need to make significant improvements on both ends to be effective.

From what Im seeing and reading is that his shot selection beginning of the season got pretty poor. He started taking a ton of contested shots. Maybe him being in a contract year had something to do with it, and he was forcing the issue. With the Lakers he will get a ton of easy looks.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:00 am    Post subject:

His shot selection improved in the second half of last season and his three point percentage went back up to 35.7% so that is probably more significant.

Some Lonnie Walker IV Highlights

Cyberfreak444
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:23 am    Post subject:

Zach Lowe said on his podcast last week that he actually thought the Walker signing at the taxpayer MLE was a good gamble by the Lakers. He showed signs in the latter half of last season of improved two-way play. And by signing him to the TPMLE instead of to a minimum, the Lakers will be in position to retain him long term if he breaks out this year. It basically avoids the Malik Monk situation where a young player plays well with LeBron and co. but then prices himself out of the Lakers ability to pay him the year after. And if the signing doesn’t work out, the Lakers are only on the hook for one season.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:50 am    Post subject:

Cyberfreak444 wrote:
Zach Lowe said on his podcast last week that he actually thought the Walker signing at the taxpayer MLE was a good gamble by the Lakers. He showed signs in the latter half of last season of improved two-way play. And by signing him to the TPMLE instead of to a minimum, the Lakers will be in position to retain him long term if he breaks out this year. It basically avoids the Malik Monk situation where a young player plays well with LeBron and co. but then prices himself out of the Lakers ability to pay him the year after. And if the signing doesn’t work out, the Lakers are only on the hook for one season.

Thank you, somebody who view this signing as smart and shows the FO as forward thinking on being able to retain assets. Hoping for another Malik season got LW. He is taller, younger and as athletic as Monk.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:14 am    Post subject:

Cyberfreak444 wrote:

We need him to do well. As I look at the signing, though, I'm unimpressed by cherry picking arguments (he played well after the all-star break!). If you just focus on the periods of time when a guy plays well, then they're going to look like a guy who plays well. Duh. Over the course of a full season, he didn't play so well, and the Spurs let him go.

This smacks of yet another favor for Rich Paul. Even if Walker plays better on a consistent basis, he doesn't address any of our pressing needs. I see people trying to rationalize the signing in various ways. The one that annoys me is the vacuous talk about how he is young and athletic. There are a lot of mediocre to poor players who are young and athletic. Heck, we signed a couple for the minimum.

I hope you folks are right, though. Just because I'm unimpressed by the signing doesn't mean that I want to player to prove me right by failing. I like to be pleasantly surprised by players.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:28 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Even if Walker plays better on a consistent basis, he doesn't address any of our pressing needs. I see people trying to rationalize the signing in various ways

I agree. Our options were limited with our spending power and there’s only a couple guys who went for his money that would have been better. Maybe they tried for those guys and got rejected. I was against bringing back Malik Monk for that money (and look how much he got) because he didn’t fit a need and wasn’t a defender. Well, Walker is just a worse version of Malik. We got some good value in other places and overall I think we did well under the circumstances. Just would have been nice to see them address their biggest need.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:48 am    Post subject:

We have quite the logjam forming at SG.

Walker
Reaves
THT
Christie
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:02 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Walker
Reaves
THT
Christie

I assume Christie doesn’t play and THT gets moved. But the players we’ve been linked to (Curry, Harris, Hield) are also SGs. We are going to be asking a lot of Troy Brown Jr.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:28 am    Post subject:

I have no idea if Walker will be worth the price they paid, but he is an improvement for the team. He has shown moments both offensively and defensively, now he has to prove he can do it consistently with consistent mpg and a consistent role. Can the Lakers provide that?

It seems most are focusing on his 3 pt%. It looks to me like he is pretty good at attacking the basket and finishing with his athleticism. Perhaps Ham let’s him do that?

James is not attacking like he used to. Nor should he anymore. He prefers shooting those 3 pt shots. Career high 8 attempts per game. I’m guessing his 3pt attempts go up again this year and he lets the young legs drive to the basket off cuts.

Maybe we should focus more on what Walker does well instead of the skill he is marginally below league averages.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject:

I know he was a bad defender. He is athletic so I hope he can be taught and has a desire to play good defense
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:41 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
Even if Walker plays better on a consistent basis, he doesn't address any of our pressing needs. I see people trying to rationalize the signing in various ways

I agree. Our options were limited with our spending power and there’s only a couple guys who went for his money that would have been better. Maybe they tried for those guys and got rejected. I was against bringing back Malik Monk for that money (and look how much he got) because he didn’t fit a need and wasn’t a defender. Well, Walker is just a worse version of Malik. We got some good value in other places and overall I think we did well under the circumstances. Just would have been nice to see them address their biggest need.

I also agree with the viewpoint that if the pickings were this slim, they should not have spent the tpmle this soon. Which is why I also agree that this sounds like a Klutch "tax".
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Maybe we should focus more on what Walker does well instead of the skill he is marginally below league averages.

That's fair, but his ability to attack the basket doesn't address our needs. It's not that he is a worthless offensive player. That's not true at all. It's that he seems more duplicative than additive. Hopefully, he exceeds my expectations.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject:

The biggest problem with this signing is that it seems more for the benefit of a Klutch client than the team. We need f'n length, wings, defensive-minded players who can hit shots at a fairly good rate.

To make a defensively marginal player your mle signing, with the limited resources you started with, is questionable to me.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
I know he was a bad defender. He is athletic so I hope he can be taught and has a desire to play good defense

It happened with Kuz so there’s a tiny bit hope for that.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

That's fair, but his ability to attack the basket doesn't address our needs. It's not that he is a worthless offensive player. That's not true at all. It's that he seems more duplicative than additive. Hopefully, he exceeds my expectations.

As I stated, I question whether his abilities attacking the basket should be the focus. That could be the role he was brought in to play.

The main narrative to help take the ball handling from James to keep him fresher. To me, that means more then dribble the ball past half court then pass it to James. IMO removing the responsibility of attacking the basket and primary playmaker “manages” his efforts and reduces injury potential more then anything else. Not entirely of course, but significantly.

Letting other players attack as James, and others provide the spot up 3pt shooting. I feel that was the hope for Westbrook, but failed miserably due to his inefficiency and inconsistency.

No clue if Walker or to some extent THT or WB can do the playmaking as needed. But it seems like that is the plan to me. Assuming James is capable or motivated to continue to fill the same role as last season will not work. He isn’t. I put it into the same category as the insistence of Davis playing center.

My philosophy is let the players be who they are best suited to be instead of forcing them into what they are not.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Walker
Reaves
THT
Christie

THT is probably at the bottom of that rotation lol
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Walker
Reaves
THT
Christie

THT is probably at the bottom of that rotation lol

You can't run THT at SG next to a real PG. He needs to be a ball handler or he's useless.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:17 pm    Post subject:

The Kamenetzky Brothers get a scouting report on Lonnie Walker from their counterpart with the Spurs. There is good and bad.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 9 of 41
Jump to: