[Poll] If the Nets won't budge, which outcome would you choose

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

If the Nets won't budge, which outcome would you choose:
Trade Westbrook and two FRPs for Irving
55%
 55%  [ 24 ]
Keep Westbrook and see how things go, being open to trading for Irving at some point in the season.=
39%
 39%  [ 17 ]
Keep Westbrook, and entirely give up the idea of grading for Irving during the season
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 43

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: [Poll] If the Nets won't budge, which outcome would you choose

Pedal to the metal
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Keep WB - consider Irving - but in all likelihood, comfort myself with the fact I can sign him in the offseason with Russ off the books and both my picks.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject:

I would give up the picks. Can't waste this season of Lebron.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Better to get him. We potentially lose a lot by renouncing players to make the space available. Get him on the books and work with our current roster for the next 3 years.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject:

B. Irving can’t be depended on and pushing all in on him because we screwed up by pushing all in on WB is just compounding errors.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject:

I will teach WB how to shoot and defend.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject:

If it's JUST WB for Irving and the 2 FRP, do it, because that means you can then deal a THT for assets, plus you save roughly $23 million in luxury taxes.

Note the deal doesn't work straight up unless Kyrie enacts part of his trade kicker while Russ waives his trade kicker.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Trade Westbrook for Durant and Irving.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Trade both picks, but hope you can ensure at least one of them is like top 5 protected or something in case we really crater.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Championships, despite looking otherwise as a spoiled Laker fan that I am, are hard to come by, draft pics…well…they aren’t. So, with AD and LeBron, I say go for the championship.

Faulk those pics, what do we hope to gain by having them? Do we think we can create a better opportunity in 2027 or 2029 to compete for a title than we already current have now? Sometimes it’s better to keep pics and use them like 2014-2017 (Randle, Clarkson, DLO, Nance, Ingram, Zubac, Ball, Kuz, Hart, TBryant) and sometimes it’s better to trade them.

When the team doesn’t have a chance to compete for a title them keep and use, when the team has a chance to compete for a title them trade. I know by trading them now we’ll pay for it later but the whole reason for wanting a pic is so that it can be used to draft a player that can help us win a championship. Think of trading the pic as drafting a player…that’s already NBA ready, on our team that becomes championship ready.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
Championships, despite looking otherwise as a spoiled Laker fan that I am, are hard to come by, draft pics…well…they aren’t. So, with AD and LeBron, I say go for the championship.

Faulk those pics, what do we hope to gain by having them? Do we think we can create a better opportunity in 2027 or 2029 to compete for a title than we already current have now? Sometimes it’s better to keep pics and use them like 2014-2017 (Randle, Clarkson, DLO, Nance, Ingram, Zubac, Ball, Kuz, Hart, TBryant) and sometimes it’s better to trade them.

When the team doesn’t have a chance to compete for a title them keep and use, when the team has a chance to compete for a title them trade. I know by trading them now we’ll pay for it later but the whole reason for wanting a pic is so that it can be used to draft a player that can help us win a championship. Think of trading the pic as drafting a player…that’s already NBA ready, on our team that becomes championship ready.

This. And its not like we don't have some 1sts between now and then to add/develop. Some are at mercy of deferment or swaps, but we will eventually have them.

Go for broke now while AD/LeBron are here. With good health, we can win a title instead of trying to hold onto picks 5-7 years from now hoping that we can win a title then.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:56 pm    Post subject:

If you don't get Irving, you have no shot at a championship anytime soon, and you'll probably lose LeBron next summer, and maybe AD would want out soon afterward.

You gotta get Irving, especially if he has given any indication he will sign an extension with the Lakers soon after.

It's either that or have no shot at the championship for who knows how many years.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Tell me this guy isnt worth 2 1sts and dumping a terrible player/fit while keeping LeBron around longer all at once?

miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:20 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Tell me this guy isnt worth 2 1sts and dumping a terrible player/fit while keeping LeBron around longer all at once?

Geez you had me on the first highlight play… Where do you think the stand off offer right now?

Russ/THT/1st for Kyrie/Harris? Nets wanting another first?

Bryant
AD
Bron
Harris
Kyrie

Yea trying to wrap around my head on whats really holding up the deal… 2 picks that is like 5-7 years away. Lakers still have 8 picks between now and the 27 pick. I don’t think it’s about rebuilding. 23/24 free agency class pretty much weaker with all the extension singed… Read Vashii’s post regarding repeater tax situation which is the only thing thats making sense. If it’s about the picks, why not make it lotto protected or pick swap?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
If you don't get Irving, you have no shot at a championship anytime soon, and you'll probably lose LeBron next summer, and maybe AD would want out soon afterward.

You gotta get Irving, especially if he has given any indication he will sign an extension with the Lakers soon after.

It's either that or have no shot at the championship for who knows how many years.

where is bron going to go? Clippers? Heat? Cavs? He will not leave on his terms.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
2019 wrote:

Geez you had me on the first highlight play… Where do you think the stand off offer right now?

Bryant
AD
Bron
Harris
Kyrie

Yea trying to wrap around my head on whats really holding up the deal… 2 picks that is like 5-7 years away. Lakers still have 8 picks between now and the 27 pick. I don’t think it’s about rebuilding. 23/24 free agency class pretty much weaker with all the extension singed… Read Vashii’s post regarding repeater tax situation which is the only thing thats making sense. If it’s about the picks, why not make it lotto protected or pick swap?

Vash's point, which I agree with, is that this is less about the picks and more about taking on Harris' deal which equates to $65M in cost. I could be wrong on that number but Vash can correct me there.

So my deal: Russ, 27 1st for Kyrie, Harris.

Bot sides get what they want but not everything they want. BK doesn't get a second 1st while Lakers take on money. If the money is a dealbreaker, Russ + 27 & 29 1st for Kyrie. No Harris but the pick is included.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject:

I think its funny that picks and money were the rallying cries and how now, even though Kyrie is a G, we need to be loose with both.

Hopefully, we get Kyrie, but I will be curious to see the outrage at Rob for doing so if bron gets hurt and/or AD or harris and we flame out in the first or second round.

If rob is able to flip Russ for Kyrie, he's done his job.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
2019 wrote:

Bryant
AD
Bron
Harris
Kyrie

Vash's point, which I agree with, is that this is less about the picks and more about taking on Harris' deal which equates to $65M in cost. I could be wrong on that number but Vash can correct me there.

So my deal: Russ, 27 1st for Kyrie, Harris.

Bot sides get what they want but not everything they want. BK doesn't get a second 1st while Lakers take on money. If the money is a dealbreaker, Russ + 27 & 29 1st for Kyrie. No Harris but the pick is included.

Right..it would be at a minimum 65m in taxes for Harris’s entire 19.9m deal leaking past the tax line next summer.

As for this year, it would cost us an additional 13m (going from currently paying 32m to paying ~45m) if we swapped out Russ’s 47.1m for Ky/JHarris’s aggregated 55.6m. BK would also get a tax-free 8.5m TPE out of it.

If BK, wanted a tax-free ~12m TPE as part of the deal, they could have Ky partially activate his trade kicker (3.5m) or tge could aggregate Cam’s deal into the Ky/Harris package. Funny enough, they could create a TPE big enough to take on a prorated salary amount of THT’s deal at the trade deadline (however the tax hit would be the same).

There are routes that can certainly be taken where there appears to be an impasse. However, don’t buy the hype…it’s our tax aversion that is causing the talks to stall imho. I totally agree with @2019 in that regard.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: