Jay Huff Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
This was more of a signing for the G league than the Lakers. I agree, I think he would be better than DJ, but the Lakers don't necessarily have a vision. Also, it wouldn't say that Vogel would actually play him. Vogel, to me doesn't have a good eye for useful talent on the team (beyond Bron, AD, and now Westbrook) nor collectively putting them together. He doesn't get the best out of the team. He just throws players together and hope it works, rather than thinking about everyone's strengths and weaknesses. He looks to see if they are a vet for the most part.

Kent Bazemore provided absolutely nothing for us, and he kept him in the starting line up. He has played Rondo, Westbrook, and Bron at the same time. To start the 4th neither Bron, Westbrook, or AD was on the floor. Yesterday he had Austin Reaves just sitting on the bench. Doesn't matter how valuable he has been for us; good IQ, good defender, capable 3 point shooter and decision maker. He just sat him there, while we lost in triple OT. His rotations aren't some times bad, they are consistently bad.

At this point I'd definitely take Huff over the shell of DJ.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
This was more of a signing for the G league than the Lakers. I agree, I think he would be better than DJ, but the Lakers don't necessarily have a vision. Also, it wouldn't say that Vogel would actually play him. Vogel, to me doesn't have a good eye for useful talent on the team (beyond Bron, AD, and now Westbrook) nor collectively putting them together. He doesn't get the best out of the team. He just throws players together and hope it works, rather than thinking about everyone's strengths and weaknesses. He looks to see if they are a vet for the most part.

Kent Bazemore provided absolutely nothing for us, and he kept him in the starting line up. He has played Rondo, Westbrook, and Bron at the same time. To start the 4th neither Bron, Westbrook, or AD was on the floor. Yesterday he had Austin Reaves just sitting on the bench. Doesn't matter how valuable he has been for us; good IQ, good defender, capable 3 point shooter and decision maker. He just sat him there, while we lost in triple OT. His rotations aren't some times bad, they are consistently bad.

Me too, but that's to say he gets called up and Vogel actually plays him. I don't see Vogel playing him over DJ, even if Rob signed him to a guaranteed contract. Vogel would be the biggest hurdle for him, that I don't know if he could leap over. I mean Austin Reaves showed his worth, he got hurt, and now he doesn't even look to playing him, since he has been back.

I could see us calling him up if we fired Vogel and hired Mike D'antoni.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Me too, but that's to say he gets called up and Vogel actually plays him. I don't see Vogel playing him over DJ, even if Rob signed him to a guaranteed contract. Vogel would be the biggest hurdle for him, that I don't know if he could leap over. I mean Austin Reaves showed his worth, he got hurt, and now he doesn't even look to playing him, since he has been back.

DJ is just surviving on his reputation and charisma. He's a mere shell of the player he used to be.
IMO if Huff continues to play well in the G-League he'll eventually get some PT with the Lakers. Then we can see if he can handle the speed of the NBA game.
Huff is 4th in G-League blocked shots averaging 2.5 bpg.
Also if Reaves is healthy, there's no doubt that he has to be utilized in certain situations (such as last night).
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

DJ is just surviving on his reputation and charisma. He's a mere shell of the player he used to be.
IMO if Huff continues to play well in the G-League he'll eventually get some PT with the Lakers. Then we can see if he can handle the speed of the NBA game.
Also if Reaves is healthy, there's no doubt that he has to be utilized in certain situations (such as last night).

Do you really think Vogel will play him? I think he should, even call him up, but I can't see him doing that.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Do you really think Vogel will play him? I think he should, even call him up, but I can't see him doing that.

Probably not
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject:

I mean with all the "Vogel loves defense" the fact the majority of people feel he isn't smart enough to play a shot blocking stretch 5 is telling.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
I mean with all the "Vogel loves defense" the fact the majority of people feel he isn't smart enough to play a shot blocking stretch 5 is telling.

I agree.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject:

Would call this kid up to motivate Deandre who seems to be floating with the starting position. Maybe Vogel replaces Jordan with Dwight in the starting lineup and we give Huff a look. Stretch 5 shot blocking big would be an ideal situation, as Dwight fits whatever Deandre was supposed to give us better.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject:

LOL, The kid is a two-way. He has been in the bench in some games. He actually had played 1 game. I think it was the blowout loss. He played 8 minutes, had a 1 3pt attempt which he missed & 2 rebounds. That's it.

BTW, he is very skinny & soft.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Quote:
Ben Rosales @brosales 12 21h
Well, in other news, Jay Huff put up 19/15/1 on 8-9 shooting in only 21 min versus a Dubs affiliate team playing both Kuminga/Moody and the SBL won by 20. Hopefully he keeps that up.

He can play. If his jumper is real, he can be a NBA guy. 15-20 minutes top as a pure drop dude and drivers going into his chest will be a problem this season but a lot of interesting tools there and AD is a phenomenal guy to pair him with b/c covers for his weaknesses.

The SBL are using him a lot more as a roller instead on the pop. Not a vertical athlete nor very athletic but he’s so big that he’s always a target, great at the deep seal on the small if they let him. Only pick-and-pop jumper I saw looked great.

Okay, watched the first half. Huff is shockingly fluid in space for a massive seven foot guy. Obviously pure drop but he can actually move his feet and really smart; he had Kuminga in complete hell most of the time except when Kuminga could go straight into his chest.

https://twitter.com/brosales12/status/1467009198932197379
https://twitter.com/brosales12/status/1467033855269826560
https://twitter.com/brosales12/status/1467033410564608002
https://twitter.com/brosales12/status/1467033038223642624

So can we give him a call up as well as Deandre's minutes and see how he does now?
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Frank Vogel for playing DeAndre Jordan instead of this kid.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Huff's got some upside and it would be nice to seem him earn a spot in this league!
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:50 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/MANOMAGlC/status/1543367293056364544?t=WQKwrjXTgxQM7k0OQ-y0AA&s=19
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject:

Good to suck up some minutes in the regular season. A little slow on the perimeter so he would be played off the floor if the other team targets him.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:19 pm    Post subject:

lol, did someone from here post this?
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:58 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Good to suck up some minutes in the regular season. A little slow on the perimeter so he would be played off the floor if the other team targets him.

Would have no issue with him as the 3rd center. Picking up mins throughout the season when injuries happen.

He looks a lot more fluid and less awkward to me compared to last season. The developmental time improving his game and body seems to have worked.

Not a starter yet, but could see him in a backup role.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:59 am    Post subject:

Better than DeAndre Jordan.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:17 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Better than DeAndre Jordan.

Won’t argue with you on that. Just in different points in their careers.

Huff is not a game changer IMO but a much needed support role type player. Been impressed with his improvement from last year.

At this point, I’d be fine with a Jones, Bryant, Huff center position for the season. Will be interesting to see if Pelinka / Ham agree.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject:

He needs to be on the 15 man roster.

I see him being a rotation player, ultimately.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject:

Edited the title from last year so it isnt confusing people
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Would Huff be worth bringing on if we signed T Bryant? Perhaps Jones and TB would be enough since AD may play C some too in order to keep a roster spot open. Max two way is 2 right? Could be risky not bringing him on just to keep 14 players leaving one spot open. If not a two way then anyone can sign him right?

Jones, Bryant
AD, Gabriel, Johnson
LBJ, Brown, JTA
Walker, THT or replacement (Seth, Harris, Heild), Max
Westbrook or replacement (Kyrie), Nunn, Reeves

Think I’d rather have TJ Warren to max out a 15 man roster than Huff but still hate to lose him.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
Would Huff be worth bringing on if we signed T Bryant? Perhaps Jones and TB would be enough since AD may play C some too in order to keep a roster spot open. Max two way is 2 right? Could be risky not bringing him on just to keep 14 players leaving one spot open. If not a two way then anyone can sign him right?

Jones, Bryant
AD, Gabriel, Johnson
LBJ, Brown, JTA

Think I’d rather have TJ Warren to max out a 15 man roster than Huff but still hate to lose him.

Yes, having two centers that can stretch the floor and block shots is a good thing. Damian Jones is pretty much going to be put in the McGee/Dwight role. Having Huff and Bryant would be a nice get.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:

Jones, Bryant
AD, Gabriel, Johnson
LBJ, Brown, JTA

Yes. Grab em' both. One advantage Bryant has over Huff is that he may be able to give us minutes at the 4 & the 5. Can't say that about Huff.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:50 am    Post subject:

The only thing that surprises me is that from last season to this season, he didn't seem to make any physical adjustments in the weight room. Other than that, he could easily be our 3rd option for spot minutes.

He's a Legit 7'1 and gets up and down the floor. He'd be a liability on the wing against a smaller more versatile 5, however his interior presence and rim protection would be worth the risk!

I like these type of players through the G-League ranks however they have a very small window of opportunity, if they can grasp it!
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Edited the title from last year so it isnt confusing people

You might want to edit it again to point out that it includes both last season and next season.
I was wondering how the Lakers could have three 2-way contract players when the maximum allowed is two.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: