OFFICIAL GOLF THREAD: BREAKING - OMAR GETS AN ACE!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
As far as integrity goes. IMO if most here were afforded an opportunity to work for Facebook and make enough to pay off their mortgages and all of their bills they would take the opportunity/money and run. JMHO

Is Zuckerberg murdering journalists? I hadn't heard about that.

I don't think he is but what does that have to do with working for Facebook and paying off the mortgage and all bills?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Yeah, I think Phil's going after money. I don't think he's going after it for himself. I don't know for sure but I have a feeling Phil is financially secure. The impression I get is he wants the PGA to share with players less secure.

As far as integrity goes. IMO if most here were afforded an opportunity to work for Facebook and make enough to pay off their mortgages and all of their bills they would take the opportunity/money and run. JMHO

Phil doesn’t care nor has ever care about sharing PGA money with the other guys. PGA golf has always been tough to get into and you then get sponsors and the regulars all make great incomes. He’s getting an eight figure “bonus” to go play for the Saudis, and he isn’t giving that away. Fwiw, the PGA tour is a nonprofit that isn’t some owner fighting the players for money. They get the lions share if it and the rest mostly goes to charitable and other programs.

Can you post proof of your claim? I'm not discounting it, I'd like to be given a reason to believe.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I don't think he is but what does that have to do with working for Facebook and paying off the mortgage and all bills?

It has to do with comparing working at Facebook to aligning oneself to the Saudi Royal Family, which is the whole point of the criticism the players are facing, not just the money.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:16 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Yeah, I think Phil's going after money. I don't think he's going after it for himself. I don't know for sure but I have a feeling Phil is financially secure. The impression I get is he wants the PGA to share with players less secure.

Phil doesn’t care nor has ever care about sharing PGA money with the other guys. PGA golf has always been tough to get into and you then get sponsors and the regulars all make great incomes. He’s getting an eight figure “bonus” to go play for the Saudis, and he isn’t giving that away. Fwiw, the PGA tour is a nonprofit that isn’t some owner fighting the players for money. They get the lions share if it and the rest mostly goes to charitable and other programs.

Can you post proof of your claim? I'm not discounting it, I'd like to be given a reason to believe.

Which claim?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject:

The smile says it all.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Which claim?

Bold green.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

It has to do with comparing working at Facebook to aligning oneself to the Saudi Royal Family, which is the whole point of the criticism the players are facing, not just the money.

I understand and agree with the integrity issue relating to the Saudis. I'm asking would any here turn down an opportunity to work for Facebook if working there would allow them to pay off their mortgages and all bills?

DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Brooks Koepka becomes latest star golfer to leave PGA Tour for LIV Golf Series, sources confirm

Four-time major champion Brooks Koepka is the latest golfer to defect from the PGA Tour to the LIV Golf Invitational Series, sources have confirmed to ESPN

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/34124761/brooks-koepka-becomes-latest-star-golfer-leave-pga-tour-liv-golf-series-sources-confirm
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:
PGA Tour plots stunning $108m move to beat LIV at its own game... but still snub Australia

The PGA Tour will reportedly meet with players this week to unveil a series of proposed changes aimed at safeguarding it from the emerging threat of Saudi-backed rival LIV Golf.

Golfweek reports that the PGA Tour won’t bask in the glow of one of the great US Opens for long, instead swiftly turning its attention back to the greatest existential threat it has faced.

More than 100 players will on Tuesday attend the meeting with commissioner Jay Monahan, who will present the proposed changes in detail.

The Middle-East event is likely to be held in the UAE — a decision sure to draw some controversy given the nation’s own serious human rights violations, including arbitrary detention and suppressing the freedom of expression.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/golf/pga-tour-2022-liv-golf-news-us-open-australia-snubbed-as-us-plans-global-events-dp-world-tour-saudi-league-prize-money/news-story/6821246458d789dc2710043995e56af1
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:
PGA Tour plans to counter rival tour with lucrative series for top players

PGA Tour players were informed of wholesale changes to the tour schedule and FedEx Cup that will begin in the fall of 2023, according to multiple players present at a mandatory meeting ahead of this week’s Travelers Championship in Cromwell, Conn.

Starting next year, the PGA Tour schedule will include eight limited-field no-cut events, with purses of $20 million or more each, for the top 50 finishers in the prior season’s FedEx Cup standings. Some of those events will be in the heart of the season, while others will be in the fall. Those outside the top 50 will compete in an alternate series of tournaments, where they will fight to keep their cards and earn better status for the following season. This change in structure would happen in conjunction with the tour returning to a season based on the calendar year, something Golf Digest has reported was being considered. The tour switched from a calendar-based schedule to a wraparound campaign in 2013-14.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-tour-players-meeting-travelers-championship-changes-to-fall-schedule
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject:

Not sure where the PGA suddenly found this extra $160 million to pay the players, but I bet Phil Mickleson has an idea.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I understand and agree with the integrity issue relating to the Saudis. I'm asking would any here turn down an opportunity to work for Facebook if working there would allow them to pay off their mortgages and all bills?

Here's a question (for everyone)

Let's say someone has aspirations to go to medical school. They get into 2 schools.

A) A top tier medical school - very expensive. No scholarships offered
B) A lower tier medical school - much more affordable and they get a full ride scholarship.

The student is leaning towards choice B but then they get news that they've been awarded a full ride scholarship to their choice A school. They are ecstatic and for sure will go to their choice A school. Then, they find out that the scholarship is coming from Saudi Arabia.

What should this student do? What would you advise this student to do? What would you do? And if this was your child, what would you advise your child to do?

Again, this is a question for everyone.

Me, I'd take the scholarship, no hesitation. I'd advise my kids to do the same.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Koepka going to the LIV also apparently.

And this after less than a week ago going off on reporters for asking him about the LIV/PGA issue, saying "you guys are ruining the US Open" and such.

Not sure there is a guy I find more unlikeable on the tour. His bullying of Bryson was ridiculous and now he goes to the LIV despite scolding reporters for even having the audacity to ask him about it.

His wife is hot, granted, but she married a douche.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:19 pm    Post subject:

^
Never been a fan of Koepka and I was elated when he choked that final round at the PGA last year against Phil.

Yes, it's interesting that now all of a sudden the Tour has added some lucrative events and purses with no cuts. I wonder if any journalist has been willing to ask anyone associated with the Tour why it's seemingly not mentioned that several Tour sponsors do major business with Saudi Arabia, to the tune of tens of billions of dollars. Nor is it mentioned that the biggest royalty the Tour has, Jack Nicklaus, is currently building a golf course as part of a major project in Saudi Arabia. Crickets.

I just don't like hypocrisy. I think it's fair to question players for leaving the Tour and taking the money, particularly if you see it as "blood money", but then you have to be consistent with it. As I said, I just think it's an extremely slippery slope. And as I also said, this has nothing to do with morals as far as the PGA Tour is concerned. This is about money, pure and simple, and the Tour's very business model being under attack and threatened in a real way.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:00 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
Never been a fan of Koepka and I was elated when he choked that final round at the PGA last year against Phil.

Yes, it's interesting that now all of a sudden the Tour has added some lucrative events and purses with no cuts. I wonder if any journalist has been willing to ask anyone associated with the Tour why it's seemingly not mentioned that several Tour sponsors do major business with Saudi Arabia, to the tune of tens of billions of dollars. Nor is it mentioned that the biggest royalty the Tour has, Jack Nicklaus, is currently building a golf course as part of a major project in Saudi Arabia. Crickets.

I just don't like hypocrisy. I think it's fair to question players for leaving the Tour and taking the money, particularly if you see it as "blood money", but then you have to be consistent with it. As I said, I just think it's an extremely slippery slope. And as I also said, this has nothing to do with morals as far as the PGA Tour is concerned. This is about money, pure and simple, and the Tour's very business model being under attack and threatened in a real way.

It's only a slippery slope if you make far reaching comparisons.

Sponsors who directly do business with the SRF (if tat is indeed the case) should definitely be called out on that. But Nicklaus simply building a golf course in Saudi Arabia is one thing. Phil saying he doesn't care that the SRF murders journalists, he just wants to make money, is quite another. So, I don't see the hypocrisy accusation as being reasonable.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

Sponsors who directly do business with the SRF (if tat is indeed the case) should definitely be called out on that. But Nicklaus simply building a golf course in Saudi Arabia is one thing. Phil saying he doesn't care that the SRF murders journalists, he just wants to make money, is quite another. So, I don't see the hypocrisy accusation as being reasonable.

Rory was again calling out the players who left, using the word "duplicitous", I believe in response to Koepka leaving. Remember when Rory was sponsored by Jumeirah? Jumeirah is owned by the ruler of UAE, Sheikh Mohammed, who is an extremely shady figure. (I realize that the UAE didn't murder Jamal Khashoggi, but Sheikh Mohammed's own history and the human rights issues of the UAE deserve to be brought up in this context, in my opinion.) Also, if you want to talk about duplicity, Rory, ask Caroline Wozniacki all about that.

And you are mischaracterizing what Phil said, at least in my view. The quote:

“They’re scary motherfu*@ers to get involved with,” he said. “We know they killed [Washington Post reporter and U.S. resident Jamal] Khashoggi and have a horrible record on human rights. They execute people over there for being gay. Knowing all of this, why would I even consider it? Because this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to reshape how the PGA Tour operates. They’ve been able to get by with manipulative, coercive, strong-arm tactics because we, the players, had no recourse. As nice a guy as [PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan] comes across as, unless you have leverage, he won’t do what’s right. And the Saudi money has finally given us that leverage. I’m not sure I even want [the SGL] to succeed, but just the idea of it is allowing us to get things done with the [PGA] Tour.”

To me, he's saying that he knows they are terrible but that he thinks it might be worth it to get the changes on the Tour that he believed were long overdue. And, to be fair, we're seeing that now, lo and behold.

As for Jack, I mean, I'm sure his company is making a fortune off this venture, and I'm sure that the Saudis get a lot from being associated with a Nicklaus course. No criticism? OK. Seems like companies don't get criticized but individuals are being criticized for taking the money, if that's what they think is best for them. I just don't believe it's fair. Call it all out, call out any association with the Saudis or other nations with severe human rights violations, or let these dudes take their bag and quit being so offended by it. (I don't say that directly to you, I'm speaking more in general about the PGA Tour commissioner, players, and journalists/writers that cover the sport.)
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject:

I would like to add that I am glad that the Tour is going back to a calendar year schedule, starting next year. The wraparound thing was beyond lame.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Rory was again calling out the players who left, using the word "duplicitous", I believe in response to Koepka leaving. Remember when Rory was sponsored by Jumeirah? Jumeirah is owned by the ruler of UAE, Sheikh Mohammed, who is an extremely shady figure. (I realize that the UAE didn't murder Jamal Khashoggi, but Sheikh Mohammed's own history and the human rights issues of the UAE deserve to be brought up in this context, in my opinion.) Also, if you want to talk about duplicity, Rory, ask Caroline Wozniacki all about that.

“They’re scary motherfu*@ers to get involved with,” he said. “We know they killed [Washington Post reporter and U.S. resident Jamal] Khashoggi and have a horrible record on human rights. They execute people over there for being gay. Knowing all of this, why would I even consider it? Because this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to reshape how the PGA Tour operates. They’ve been able to get by with manipulative, coercive, strong-arm tactics because we, the players, had no recourse. As nice a guy as [PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan] comes across as, unless you have leverage, he won’t do what’s right. And the Saudi money has finally given us that leverage. I’m not sure I even want [the SGL] to succeed, but just the idea of it is allowing us to get things done with the [PGA] Tour.”

To me, he's saying that he knows they are terrible but that he thinks it might be worth it to get the changes on the Tour that he believed were long overdue. And, to be fair, we're seeing that now, lo and behold.

As for Jack, I mean, I'm sure his company is making a fortune off this venture, and I'm sure that the Saudis get a lot from being associated with a Nicklaus course. No criticism? OK. Seems like companies don't get criticized but individuals are being criticized for taking the money, if that's what they think is best for them. I just don't believe it's fair. Call it all out, call out any association with the Saudis or other nations with severe human rights violations, or let these dudes take their bag and quit being so offended by it. (I don't say that directly to you, I'm speaking more in general about the PGA Tour commissioner, players, and journalists/writers that cover the sport.)

I would be willing to bet smack talking Rory McIlroy is playing LIV events within 2 years, probably less. If he keeps talking like this, he better never join the LIV or he makes Mickelson look like Mother Teresa.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I would like to add that I am glad that the Tour is going back to a calendar year schedule, starting next year. The wraparound thing was beyond lame.

Agreed, totally ridiculous.

Despite Phil catching HUGE blowback and losing all his sponsors, so far he is being proven right.

I am a fan of the PGA Tour but I think they took the wrong stance on this and it looks unlikely that the US Open, The Open (British Open) or The Master's is going to capitulate to Jay Monahan anytime soon.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Agreed, totally ridiculous.

Despite Phil catching HUGE blowback and losing all his sponsors, so far he is being proven right.

I am a fan of the PGA Tour but I think they took the wrong stance on this and it looks unlikely that the US Open, The Open (British Open) or The Master's is going to capitulate to Jay Monahan anytime soon.

The LIV players can play at all 4 major championships as it stands. I doubt any change their mind.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

OK, If we are going to address the duplicities of everyone involved, where do you stand on what Omar pointed out about about the elite PGA players like Phil supporting the structure of PGA payouts, cuts etc. when it suited them?

Quote:

With all due respect, I don't think I mischaracterized Phil's comment at all, because his words are right there. He's advocates knowingly taking money that is directly tied to bloody murder to suit his own needs.

Quote:

I'm sorry, but this is a specious position on Phil's part at best, and intellectually dishonest at worst. The idea that aligning with a murderous royal family in order to offset "manipulative, coercive, strong-arm tactics" is an acceptable course of action is a huge reach, to put it kindly—And egregiously offensive is Phil's use of "strong-arm tactics", as if what the SRF and PGA do in that regard are on equal footing.

Quote:

This one of many reasons I have never liked the whole "slippery slope" argument. It is all too frequently used to widen the goal posts of an issue in an attempt to justify something that is distantly similar. To me, it is like to the old trope of saying, "if Johnny told you to jump off a bridge, would you do that?!"; it conflates something that is tenuously and exaggeratingly connected to the particular act being discussed. I don't say that to call you out for engaging in that—only to illustrate that nuance and context are important to the discussion and that it expanding them all too often leads to an apples to oranges comparison.

What I am referring to is the choices made by individuals, in a position to control their own decisions, without the trappings and complications of corporate structure etc., and how it reflects on them. And that's my whole point; we, as individuals, can make ethical choices for ourselves in a way that companies, corporations, organizations cannot and do not.

Essentially, we can't expect corporations etc. to change their ways if individuals are willing to compromise their integrity for their own personal gain. Which is why I disagree with the whole, "hey, if a nefarious organization is going to make it worth my while, I have no problem taking advantage of it" attitude. Other people's mileage may vary, and they are perfectly free to make their own decisions accordingly. But to me, that's not an honorable position and is one that simply perpetuates corruption.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I would be willing to bet smack talking Rory McIlroy is playing LIV events within 2 years, probably less. If he keeps talking like this, he better never join the LIV or he makes Mickelson look like Mother Teresa.

That's a total stretch.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

That's a total stretch.

I have never done that before on this site!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:09 pm    Post subject:

LIV Golf is going to add Matthew Wolff, who has struggled lately and is now ranked #74 in the world, and, perhaps more interestingly, the #2-ranked amateur in the world, Eugenio Chacarra of Spain, who is 22. Chacarra was playing at Oklahoma State and will leave there to turn pro and join the LIV series. He said he had "received an opportunity that I could not turn down" and that "it is one of those trains that pass once in a lifetime." You have to think that they probably offered him tens of millions of dollars, and for a kid like that, how do you turn that down? It's not like you automatically get your PGA Tour card. He probably could have received some sponsor exemptions into certain Tour events, but what if he's just never good enough? You never know. So I don't blame him one bit.

As for the Travelers Championship, that was an exciting finish earlier today. It looked like Schauffele's drought (in PGA Tour events) was going to continue, but Theegala made a mess of the 18th hole to take himself out of it.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The DP World Tour banned its members who competed in LIV Golf events from competing in this week's Scottish Open and two other events that are co-sanctioned by the PGA Tour. It also fined the members about $121,000.

On Monday, a British court stayed the DP World Tour's suspension of Ian Poulter and two other players, Justin Harding of South Africa and Adrian Otaegui of Spain. The decision allows them to compete in the Scottish Open.

Score 1 for LIV in the courts.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 21 of 33
Jump to: