What was it like to be a teenager in the 80s?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
@ Gumby - Funny you mentioned going to the liquor store as an activity. So many of the kids did that growing up. I lived at Bubbles liquor playing Double Dragon or whatever arcade machine they'd have in at the time. It was just something to do. Group of kids getting together hanging out at the liquor store taking turns playing video games. We were all poor so it was a special day when one of us could buy a soda or a candy bar.

Playing Street Fighter at the liquor store was my childhood right there. This was how we networked with kids from other schools back in the day. This was way before the era of online games.

OG Street Fighter or Street Fighter 2 (the one that REALLY blew up)? SF2 came out in the early 90s...I think 92. I remember the OG Street Fighter on a field trip to Huntington Beach. The class ate at some burger joint on the sand and it had Street Fighter. It was the one with gigantic rubber buttons you could smash with your fists. IIRC, depending on how hard you mashed it you got Jab, Strong, Fierce. It was a 50 cent game so I could only look on in envy.

https://i.redd.it/0ix8oi6ivva11.jpg

Looked it up and, yep, the harder you mauled the button, the harder you punched or kicked. Not a design choice you wanted to make if you valued longevity in your hardware lol.

I had a German class that took a field trip to Huntington Beach, too. Interesting you did as well, tho dunno the context. There was a German theme restaurant that we'd have order from in Deutsch. Then we'd see a movie. Dave and Maverick (w/ Mel Gibson) were the two. 93 n 94. And, yes, we had a 7/11 cattycorner to the HS and kids would be playing it after school. Clerks prolly went nuts hearing, "TIII-GERR! TII-GERR!..." a thousand times.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Atari 2600 with Space Invaders, Pac-Man and Missile Command. The beginning of youth gambling with video games. Dollar a game. Since I was a nerd, I usta rob them.

Also youth sports was huge. You either banged or balled. Pops made us choose sports. Basically he chose for us. Playing sports brought us closer to pro sports. Showtime Lakers. Hatred of Celtics. Hearns, Hagler, Leonard and Duran. Watching Tyson develop.

80s classic? Hearns Hagler, espec 1st Round. THE GOAT (filmed!) boxing round evar per a lot of boxing experts. Sugar had it as his.

We bot the Mike vs Spinks farce for 50 bucks and it was over in 20 secs. Spinks was as scared of Mike as any boxer visibly was of any other that I know of at least. He knew his fate, it was all over his face. That unbeaten record of his was kaput. But he got paid at least.

There's a superb fan channel on YT, Joseph Vincent/BORED SPORTS. He does a great job of squishing in nearly every fight of a boxer's career. Watched his Hearns, Tyson, Leonard, Hagler, and Tommy Morrison ones within the last month. Oh, Holyfield, too, that one is excellent. And Foreman, I went on a binge for a minute.

Hagler, Evander and the Morrison ones are especially interesting by dint of them having interesting backgrounds as well, but most boxers, do, tbh. It's a certain kind of person who does that for a living.

Here's the Hearns one.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: