Assistant Coaches (Update: Woj - Jordan Ott from BKN joins Lakers)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Assistant Coaches (Update: Woj - Jordan Ott from BKN joins Lakers)

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1533837480780349447?s=21&t=7_JqUW5a8UlYTLqpY3dk0Q

Last edited by Jordan-esque on Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject:

Interesting news. He was not a player I thought of as a “coach” . Just the first hire, not the biggest I hope.

Hoping they sign some assistants with a bit more experience then Wallace. I get that he had a long career and is Ham’s buddy. But he has one year with Detroit in 2013. A couple years as a HS coach and barely committed to coaching with Memphis last year. That doesn’t scream committed Coaching career to me.

Welcome. Wish him and the Lakers the best.

But he adds to my overall opinion that this team, coaching staff and players need to “prove it “ this season. I assume nothing and need the see results.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:15 am    Post subject:

Sheed is close with Westbrook and there is the sense that he might be the guy assigned to assimilate Brodie back into the team. He’s also a former teammate of Ham and indicates LA is goin for an east coast/Midwest tough attitude.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject:

Rasheed Wallace as a calming locker room presence

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject:

Im not an expert but this seems like a wasted hire.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Sheed is close with Westbrook and there is the sense that he might be the guy assigned to assimilate Brodie back into the team. He’s also a former teammate of Ham and indicates LA is goin for an east coast/Midwest tough attitude.

IMO they would need to do a major roster overhaul to pull off a “tough attitude” approach. Starting with the Big 3.

Not sure how they get the 3 stars to become “tougher” and add enough grind it out type players with the limited assets they have to use. Lakers roster lost its defensive edge that won the ring. They have become a finesse team, or by its leaders.

It will be interesting to see if somehow Pelinka can give Ham a chance by replacing undersized or older soft players with some fresh legs and toughness. I would love to root for that Laker team.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject:

27 wrote:

If Sheed can somehow get AD and Westbrook to put that extra gear then this is a great hire
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania

For further context: Wallace was recently identified as a candidate for Ham’s staff. The two sides have not yet reached a formal contract stage.

💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
mixtim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject:

"Both assistants coached hard"
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject:

They can always change the assistant coach tag and put Sheed as more of a developmental guy for the players on the team
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject:

mixtim wrote:
"Both assistants coached hard"

hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject:

Sheed said on May 2021 that Russ as was the best player in the NBA
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
They can always change the assistant coach tag and put Sheed as more of a developmental guy for the players on the team

So basically he is filling the Jared Dudley role for this coaching staff and players.

I am open to anything to get this roster acting like they care about being competitive. If Wallace can help with that, so be it.

Just disliked him as a player, always thought of him as a weak link when they played against his teams and find it interesting he is now a coach.

Going to to be tough to overcome my preconceived bias. Hopefully he surprises me.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject:

27 wrote:

Who knows, none of these guys have a track record so we just have to wait and see.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

IMO they would need to do a major roster overhaul to pull off a “tough attitude” approach. Starting with the Big 3.

Not sure how they get the 3 stars to become “tougher” and add enough grind it out type players with the limited assets they have to use. Lakers roster lost its defensive edge that won the ring. They have become a finesse team, or by its leaders.

It will be interesting to see if somehow Pelinka can give Ham a chance by replacing undersized or older soft players with some fresh legs and toughness. I would love to root for that Laker team.

It is on par for this FO to switch directions every season
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

So basically he is filling the Jared Dudley role for this coaching staff and players.

I am open to anything to get this roster acting like they care about being competitive. If Wallace can help with that, so be it.

Just disliked him as a player, always thought of him as a weak link when they played against his teams and find it interesting he is now a coach.

Going to to be tough to overcome my preconceived bias. Hopefully he surprises me.

He can work with the bigs on the team and if anything he is still a respected player in this league so his voice will matter when he’s talking to the players.
Iandrewd
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject:

Don't care what he's like as a coach, just happy Jeanie Buss is looking outside Lakers' alumni.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:57 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

He can work with the bigs on the team and if anything he is still a respected player in this league so his voice will matter when he’s talking to the players.

What bigs? Dwight? He and Sheed fought several times in the past. Carmelo? Carmelo is too old to be told what to do. I can't think of any other "bigs" the Lakers have.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject:

I wouldn’t count on Melo or Dwight being Lakers
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject:

On a positive note, Lebron and the Lakers will soon have the NBA's first all African American coaching staff. Not sure if that was by design, but I know Lebron is socially aware and active in these sorts of things.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
27 wrote:

If Sheed can somehow get AD and Westbrook to put that extra gear then this is a great hire

with all do respect, IG, that's obvious. If ANYONE can get those 3 to work, let alone hit an extra gear, that would be the hire of the decade. The question is, can Wallace do it? As VLF stated, we dont know b/c there is no track record with this guy.

I hope he can do it, but after the Westbrook trade, I no longer give the Lakers the benefit of the doubt on their moves. I need to see it to believe it now.

Last edited by 27 on Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

What bigs? Dwight? He and Sheed fought several times in the past. Carmelo? Carmelo is too old to be told what to do. I can't think of any other "bigs" the Lakers have.

Sheed will be good for AD, and any potential big we bring in this summer, I think this hire is much more likely to pan out over the Mike Penberthy hire.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject:

So its like Luke hiring his buds as coaching staff all over again?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I wouldn’t count on Melo or Dwight being Lakers

Perhaps Lakers aren't either...
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
So its like Luke hiring his buds as coaching staff all over again?

Would you prefer the front office to force assistants on him instead?

To paraphrase Bill Parcells - if you're going to let Ham cook dinner, let him pick the groceries.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11
Jump to: