Your morning cups of coffee and tea could be associated with lower risk of stroke and dementia

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:36 am    Post subject: Your morning cups of coffee and tea could be associated with lower risk of stroke and dementia

Quote:
Your morning cups of coffee and tea could be associated with lower risk of stroke and dementia

By Madeline Holcombe, CNN

Updated 2:02 PM ET, Tue November 16, 2021

(CNN)The cup of coffee or tea you reach for in the morning -- OK, maybe it's a few -- may be associated with a lower risk for stroke and dementia, according to a new study.

Among more than 360,000 participants studied over a period of 10 to 14 years, those who drank 2 to 3 cups of coffee, 3 to 5 cups of tea, or a combination of 4 to 6 cups of coffee or tea a day had the lowest risk of stroke and dementia, according to researchers from Tianjin Medical University in Tianjin, China.

"Our findings suggested that moderate consumption of coffee and tea separately or in combination were associated with lower risk of stroke and dementia," the authors of the study said in a release.

Around the world, 10% of deaths are caused by stroke, according to a 2017 study published in The Lancet. Dementia refers to a general decline in brain function, but it can set in after a stroke.

Drinking coffee or tea alone also was associated with lower risk for both conditions, but people who had 2 to 3 cups of coffee and 2 to 3 cups of tea daily -- 4 to 6 cups total -- faired the best, with a 28% lower risk of dementia and 32% lower risk of stroke than those who didn't drink either, according to the study.

The participants' information came from the UK Biobank, a database of anonymous health information from around half a million volunteers in the United Kingdom gathered between 2006 and 2020. The study looked at health participants between ages 50 and 74 who self-reported their consumption of coffee and tea.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/16/health/coffee-and-tea-benefits-stroke-dementia-wellness/index.html

Wow, 4-6 cups a day is alot! How many drink that much?

A 14 year study is a long time. But, why only study participants between the ages of 50-74?

I gotta tell my parents they need to start drinking 4-6 cups a day now.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject:

Would be helpful if they defined what they mean by cup. Like literally the measurement “cup” which is 8 ounces, or what is typically considered a “cup of coffee” which is 5 ounces. So 32-48 ounces or 20-30 ounces a day. Big difference.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject:

I drink about 45 ounces of coffee and tea per day.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject:

Yay!
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Confirms my suspicion that people who don't drink coffee are demented.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Your morning cups of coffee and tea could be associated with lower risk of stroke and dementia

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:

By Madeline Holcombe, CNN

Updated 2:02 PM ET, Tue November 16, 2021

(CNN)The cup of coffee or tea you reach for in the morning -- OK, maybe it's a few -- may be associated with a lower risk for stroke and dementia, according to a new study.

Among more than 360,000 participants studied over a period of 10 to 14 years, those who drank 2 to 3 cups of coffee, 3 to 5 cups of tea, or a combination of 4 to 6 cups of coffee or tea a day had the lowest risk of stroke and dementia, according to researchers from Tianjin Medical University in Tianjin, China.

"Our findings suggested that moderate consumption of coffee and tea separately or in combination were associated with lower risk of stroke and dementia," the authors of the study said in a release.

Around the world, 10% of deaths are caused by stroke, according to a 2017 study published in The Lancet. Dementia refers to a general decline in brain function, but it can set in after a stroke.

Drinking coffee or tea alone also was associated with lower risk for both conditions, but people who had 2 to 3 cups of coffee and 2 to 3 cups of tea daily -- 4 to 6 cups total -- faired the best, with a 28% lower risk of dementia and 32% lower risk of stroke than those who didn't drink either, according to the study.

The participants' information came from the UK Biobank, a database of anonymous health information from around half a million volunteers in the United Kingdom gathered between 2006 and 2020. The study looked at health participants between ages 50 and 74 who self-reported their consumption of coffee and tea.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/16/health/coffee-and-tea-benefits-stroke-dementia-wellness/index.html

Wow, 4-6 cups a day is alot! How many drink that much?

A 14 year study is a long time. But, why only study participants between the ages of 50-74?

I gotta tell my parents they need to start drinking 4-6 cups a day now.

I think the standard cup is 10grams (2 level teaspoons) of coffee bean. That's a lot for me. I can do maybe 20 grams tops. Two cups throughout the day...any more and I start getting nausea.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 12:18 am    Post subject:

I drink more coffee when in the office than working at home. Maybe 3 to 4 Americano's per day at home and at least 6 to 7 Lungo's when in the office.
Can't remember a day I didn't start my day with coffee.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
Would be helpful if they defined what they mean by cup. Like literally the measurement “cup” which is 8 ounces, or what is typically considered a “cup of coffee” which is 5 ounces. So 32-48 ounces or 20-30 ounces a day. Big difference.

Which begs the question, how many shots of tequila should you add to each cup?
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Confirms my suspicion that people who don't drink coffee are demented.

What if we're talking civet coffee? Those beans have been places.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: