Head Coach Mr. DARVIN HAM Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 283, 284, 285  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:35 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
One of the conditions of the new coach may be to be willing to say openly in the media that he will be considering/planning to bring WB off the bench. I don't know which of the candidate is willing to go that far but it definitely is something that appeals to Phil/Rambis I think. They wanted Frank to do it and he refused.

So they're going to want this out there from the new HC, IMO. It helps them on many fronts. If WB wants no part of it, ok, opt out, dude. If WB is willing to accept it, they get what they want, a better usage of WB who can lead the 2nd unit and they can plan the team accordingly. Of course they want a head coach who is willing to butt heads (in a positive way if possible) with Westbrook.

I am not sure who of the candidates has that personality or is willing to go tht far to get the job, but that is the person I would bet on getting the job. The one coach who is willing to openly state he will be bringing WB off the bench.

I don’t think that the FO thinks anywhere close to that. Westbrook is part of their big 3.

maybe you wish thats their thinking.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:02 am    Post subject:

27 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
One of the conditions of the new coach may be to be willing to say openly in the media that he will be considering/planning to bring WB off the bench. I don't know which of the candidate is willing to go that far but it definitely is something that appeals to Phil/Rambis I think. They wanted Frank to do it and he refused.

So they're going to want this out there from the new HC, IMO. It helps them on many fronts. If WB wants no part of it, ok, opt out, dude. If WB is willing to accept it, they get what they want, a better usage of WB who can lead the 2nd unit and they can plan the team accordingly. Of course they want a head coach who is willing to butt heads (in a positive way if possible) with Westbrook.

I am not sure who of the candidates has that personality or is willing to go tht far to get the job, but that is the person I would bet on getting the job. The one coach who is willing to openly state he will be bringing WB off the bench.

I don’t think that the FO thinks anywhere close to that. Westbrook is part of their big 3.

Hypothetically if the reports are true that the FO is asking potential coaches how they would utilize Russ, it does imply at the very least they have him penciled in for the immediate future.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:20 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
27 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Hypothetically if the reports are true that the FO is asking potential coaches how they would utilize Russ, it does imply at the very least they have him penciled in for the immediate future.

Doesn't mean much.

Because the team has reportedly shopped him since December 2021 to no avail. So there may be a reality we are stuck with him, so of course you would have to ask how as a coach you would handle it.

If the Lakers could trade Russ for a deal that favored the Lakers, it would have been done. It's more a reality check that we may be stuck with him at the beginning of next season.

If we were stuck with him, I would bring him off the bench as a 6th man sort of role. Just play him when LBJ sits. I'm hoping Nunn is healthy as he is more of a prototypical type of guard who can play off LBJ (i.e. be able to shoot and isn't ball dominant).
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
27 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Doesn't mean much.

Because the team has reportedly shopped him since December 2021 to no avail. So there may be a reality we are stuck with him, so of course you would have to ask how as a coach you would handle it.

If the Lakers could trade Russ for a deal that favored the Lakers, it would have been done. It's more a reality check that we may be stuck with him at the beginning of next season.

If we were stuck with him, I would bring him off the bench as a 6th man sort of role. Just play him when LBJ sits. I'm hoping Nunn is healthy as he is more of a prototypical type of guard who can play off LBJ (i.e. be able to shoot and isn't ball dominant).

Brining Westbrook off the bench is the obvious and easy option. The risk is Westbrook would react in a negative way which could lead to detrimental impact to the locker room and team spirit.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject:

Asking the coach about WB allows them to know if he will do what Vogel did or be willing to do what the FO wants. The FO is trying to trade WB, and has tried many times to trade him. This is not news. But because the asking price/deals are not to their benefit they have to consider options such as seeing his contract out to FA. In which case you want to have a coach in place who is willing to do what Rambis/Phil etc want to happen. Vogel in large part lost his job because he seemed to refuse to bench Westbrook. I'd love to read what Vogel's thoughts were on the season, and specifically being asked to bring WB off the bench and not doing it.

It's easy for Phil to say it because the guys he asked to come off the bench were team first guys like Odom, Fisher, Kukoc. Phil couldn't get Pippen to get over not being given a final shot play and he sat out of the game/play. I don't think it is at all as easy as Rambis/Phil think it is. Hey, Rambis, why didn't you ask Melo to come off the bench in NY? How about getting Payton to come off the bench in 2003-04? Westbrook was coming off a star season, felt he's still in his prime and probably feels he's still an all-star/elite player. The amount of assets we gave up for him (1 FRP, 2 elite bench players, 2 starters) equates with an all-star caliber player. Weird logic these guys have now that they're no longer in the actual position of dealing with the players.

New coach IMO his main thing regarding WB will be would he do what Frank wasn't willing to, bring WB off the bench and deal with the headache of that. I don't think WB will accept that role at all. But that could be the entire point of this, get WB to force his way out, via opt out. For Lakers it's win win if the coach is willing to deal with this, because either a) you get WB to opt out (And WB will need to look at S+T if he wants to get paid) or b) WB accepts the new coach's position (that falls in line with Rambis/Phil) that he should come off the bench.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:44 am    Post subject:

Quote:
New coach IMO his main thing regarding WB will be would he do what Frank wasn't willing to, bring WB off the bench and deal with the headache of that.

I have a hard time believing it was Frank’s call. We know they meddle. We know what he believes in as a coach. Insisting on Westbrook as a starter doesn’t sound like a Frank Vogel idea.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:51 am    Post subject:

Wasn't a trip that Frank had to get approval to not use Russ at the end of games?

I mean which coach is enthusiastic about being handled by likely Rambis on things like this?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
New coach IMO his main thing regarding WB will be would he do what Frank wasn't willing to, bring WB off the bench and deal with the headache of that.

I have a hard time believing it was Frank’s call. We know they meddle. We know what he believes in as a coach. Insisting on Westbrook as a starter doesn’t sound like a Frank Vogel idea.

Perhaps, but there were articles stating the Lakers wanted Vogel/coaching staff to bring Westbrook off the bench, but Vogel was resisting. This was in the last 1/4 of the season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject:

Here it is, it's from Woj in early March means around late Feb these things would have went down

Quote:
"There has been an increasing push among many in the Los Angeles Lakers organization to demote nine-time All-Star guard Russell Westbrook from the starting lineup, but so far coach Frank Vogel has resisted bringing him off the bench, sources told ESPN."
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

depending on narratives people choose to believe and what reports fit those. It was reported that Rambis told frank to do whatever he wanted with Russ. So maybe it was franks call and his inability to do that or be able to make it work was why he's gone.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Here it is, it's from Woj in early March means around late Feb these things would have went down

Quote:
"There has been an increasing push among many in the Los Angeles Lakers organization to demote nine-time All-Star guard Russell Westbrook from the starting lineup, but so far coach Frank Vogel has resisted bringing him off the bench, sources told ESPN."

It’s possible that with his job on the line and receiving pressure
from the people in charge, Frank Vogel insisted on starting a player that is the antithesis of everything he believes in.

It’s also possible that was the part of the year where the people in charge were throwing him under the bus. I just have a hard time believing it was Vogel’s idea to die on Westbrook Hill when Westbrook does absolutely none of the things that Vogel values.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/ut7pni/the_athletic_since_the_lakers_fired_frank_vogel/
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/ut7pni/the_athletic_since_the_lakers_fired_frank_vogel/

I don't think there is a Tier 1

Snyder is Tier 2
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject:

Marc Jackson is Tier Hell No.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject:

i still think they are targetting kidd. No reason to think so or that its possible.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
i still think they are targetting kidd. No reason to think so or that its possible.

Why would Kidd leave a great situation?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Why would Kidd leave a great situation?

because he's a moth. it wont happen I just think it might.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I don't think there is a Tier 1

Snyder is Tier 2

Yep. I really don't understand why some people think that Snyder is so special. The Jazz had a lot of pieces, but they never accomplished that much. He wouldn't be a bad choice (as opposed to, say, Mark Jackson), but he doesn't seem like some sort of coaching savant.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

How are Darvin Ham and Charles Lee tier 2 and what makes Snyder tier 1?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 5:15 am    Post subject:

Who exactly are the Lakers waiting for?

Snyder is staying.
Doc is staying.

They've interviewed a bunch of coaches. Are we just waiting for other teams to make moves first?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 5:35 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Snyder is staying.
Doc is staying.

They've interviewed a bunch of coaches. Are we just waiting for other teams to make moves first?

It's been done even weirder than usual. At least last time we had between Monty, Lue, Vogel. Pretty good names it turned out. This time our list has been really stretch, and weird. The names are all over the place. Last time it was clear we were looking for a coach with some NBA experience as a coach and who had at least went to the playoffs/contender/won a ring. Vogel had been to Indiana ECFX2/built contender, Lue won a ring in CLE with Bron, Monty had runs in NOR with AD. A lot of sense to their moves or consistency in looking for a proven playoff level head coach (if not better).

This time really, it seems we've got no identity or can identify what we want, we just interview a lot of people from different systems/background and hoping that 1 guy really sticks out. Weird thing, because I feel the way they went about in 2019 led them to a lot of good names like Lue, Monty. Vogel. This year's list has been all over the place.

The only guy that seems even remotely qualified to be on a Laker list is Stotts. The rest of them don't even seem they should be qualified as they've never taken a team to deep playoff runs or managed players like Lebron/AD. Let alone Westbrook. At least Stotts had some runs with Portland and got them into the playoffs multiple times with Dame/CJ.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Fri May 20, 2022 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 5:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Snyder is staying.
Doc is staying.

Why is any decent coach and assistant coming here to be interfered by Kurt rambis 😂

They will pick someone from bottom barrel and give him a cheap contact
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Phil Jackson to come out of retirement, it seems
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Snyder is staying.
Doc is staying.

Why do you assume it is the Lakers dragging their feet on making a decision?

Perhaps the candidates being interviewed have been lukewarm in their acceptance of the job. Lakers have a lot of significant issues to resolve with the roster and expectations. So far, none of them seem to be addressed.

How does a HC candidate come to an interview motivated and with a vision for the team when the front office has no clue what the defined goals are for next season.

Lakers HC should be a coveted position when it becomes available. Is it this cycle? I have not seen any enthusiasm expressed by candidates or media that any are clamoring to step into the hot seat under these conditions.

Maybe I missed it. Or I am just too disappointed with this team to see it. But there seems to be very little buzz about this Lakers job. Truly a damn shame!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:16 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Snyder is staying.
Doc is staying.

Why do you assume it is the Lakers dragging their feet on making a decision?

Perhaps the candidates being interviewed have been lukewarm in their acceptance of the job. Lakers have a lot of significant issues to resolve with the roster and expectations. So far, none of them seem to be addressed.

How does a HC candidate come to an interview motivated and with a vision for the team when the front office has no clue what the defined goals are for next season.

Lakers HC should be a coveted position when it becomes available. Is it this cycle? I have not seen any enthusiasm expressed by candidates or media that any are clamoring to step into the hot seat under these conditions.

Maybe I missed it. Or I am just too disappointed with this team to see it. But there seems to be very little buzz about this Lakers job. Truly a damn shame!

I hope that one of the coaches we interviewed said something about Rambis interfering

Maybe, MAYBE Jeanie will get a clue someday
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 283, 284, 285  Next
Page 20 of 285
Jump to: