Jeanie Buss interview
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
If Kurt isn't married to Linda Rambis, no way he wields as much power as he does on the Lakers. That's crazy.

other than PJ had him on his staff.

Ok, then he became a head coach and failed miserably. Point?

Point? lets be honest about his tenure in and around the league. IIRC could be wrong but was he horrible when he coached us. i cant remember that far back.

No one wants him as a GM, he's not, no one wants him as a coach, he wont be.

So what is the value of his being with PJ on his staff? Are you saying Kurt will be an Asst. coach, since he could hide under the aegis of Phil and claim "success" at that role?

So how does that then give him pseudo PBO-level powers?

The point is this. No one here knows better than Kurt, nor should they be expected to. Kurt may or may not be part of the Lakers because of his affiliation with jeanie.

The fact is we don't know his true role. For all we know he is the cleaner. He was the guy apparently that told Vogel to do as he will with russ. Thats a good thing.

No way do I believe KR is overruling anyone and I do believe he has to have some value.

But I get the hysterics. Its MB culture.

So you say everyone else is hysterical, and have no way of knowing what's going on. But you conclude that there is no way Rambis is overruling anyone? Where's your source on that?

It's really not rocket science.

Linda is one of Jeanie's best friends. She has a lot of say and if that means Kurt gets a seat at the table, then I'm sure Jeanie would oblige. There were reports of Kurt intervening by sitting in on coaches meetings, demanding DeAndre Jordan play more, etc. He is living embodiment of what is wrong with Lakers culture. Instead of hiring professionals, she hires her best friend's husband to have who knows what influence in the front office.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject:

Excerpt from story in Vulture:

"Contrary to the series, Jeanie Buss worked for several years in sports management before beginning her acclaimed career with the Lakers. While earning a business degree from the University of Southern California, Jeanie became general manager of the Los Angeles Strings, a World Team Tennis franchise, in 1981 during the Showtime era. She worked alongside Linda Rambis, who then became her business partner for over 40 years. In the early 1990s, Jeanie became the owner of the Los Angeles Blades roller hockey team and was named executive of the year by Roller Hockey International. Eventually, she became a part of the Lakers family by becoming president of the Forum, the team’s former venue, in 1995. Just a few short years later, Jeanie would be named executive vice-president of business operations for the Lakers. When her father died in 2013, Jeanie was left with 11 percent ownership of the Lakers, an equal vote to her siblings. However, she was also named Lakers’ governor and team representative.

While the Lakers have stated that they “are not supporting nor involved with” Winning Time, Jeanie herself did not approve of the HBO series, per former Forum president Claire Rothman. However, Jeanie has been involved with several Laker-inspired shows. Jeanie is currently producing a fictional workplace comedy inspired by the Lakers with Mindy Kailing and Rambis and an upcoming Hulu docuseries about the Lakers.

Jeanie Buss is currently the controlling owner and president of the Los Angeles Lakers. As one of the only three NBA teams with women in ownership positions, Jeanie became the only female controlling owner to guide her team to a championship in 2020. She remains close friends with Magic Johnson, who she considers a brother. In an interview with comedian Theo Von, Jeanie said of Magic, “When he and I are together, working, strategizing, we speak the same language because we were basically raised by the same man. My dad bought the team when I was 17, Magic came that same year at age 19, so we’re basically the same age. We learned at the hand of the greatest owners ever.”

My takes -

* Kurt Rambis's power in the Laker organization is 100% based on Linda and Jeanie's friendship.

* Linda, as her best friend, Magic, as her step-brother, Rambis as Mr. Linda Rambis, and Phil Jackson, as her ex (?) lover are absolutely making the decisions in the Laker organization. I even wonder now if Pelinka is nothing more than a facilitator, as opposed to a decision maker.

* Jeanie has never had a basketball mind. She backed her way into her current position, but the Lakers have never been about her own hard earned money. She's a daddy's girl, playing with daddy's money. Whatever mickey-mouse endeavors she's had in sports management have not truly been successful.

* She's more interested in exploiting the Lakers than anything else. I even think she's secretly been the source of the HBO series Winning Time's collective take on the Laker players and affiliates.

* Yes, we are in trouble. Dammit.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject:

^^^ couldn’t agree more. Who’s picking her over Jim Buss again? At least Jim Buss hired and trusts basketball people to run team, whether he was successful or not that’s for another debate. But Jeannie Buss’ way has no future, she and her friends are just milking the Laker brand to bone dry.
kobe8One
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject:

To them we are in trouble only if Lakers

1. Losing money
2. Not on National TV
3. No sponsors
4. Value of the team dropped 20%

Nothing wrong if they liked to keep operating like a family business. The good news is that no one team today looks dominant. Let's hope they have learned the mistakes they made this year and by hiring the right coach will give us a new direction.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
My takes -

* Kurt Rambis's power in the Laker organization is 100% based on Linda and Jeanie's friendship.

* Linda, as her best friend, Magic, as her step-brother, Rambis as Mr. Linda Rambis, and Phil Jackson, as her ex (?) lover are absolutely making the decisions in the Laker organization. I even wonder now if Pelinka is nothing more than a facilitator, as opposed to a decision maker.

* Jeanie has never had a basketball mind. She backed her way into her current position, but the Lakers have never been about her own hard earned money. She's a daddy's girl, playing with daddy's money. Whatever mickey-mouse endeavors she's had in sports management have not truly been successful.

* She's more interested in exploiting the Lakers than anything else. I even think she's secretly been the source of the HBO series Winning Time's collective take on the Laker players and affiliates.

Yup.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 5:52 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:

"Contrary to the series, Jeanie Buss worked for several years in sports management before beginning her acclaimed career with the Lakers. While earning a business degree from the University of Southern California, Jeanie became general manager of the Los Angeles Strings, a World Team Tennis franchise, in 1981 during the Showtime era. She worked alongside Linda Rambis, who then became her business partner for over 40 years. In the early 1990s, Jeanie became the owner of the Los Angeles Blades roller hockey team and was named executive of the year by Roller Hockey International. Eventually, she became a part of the Lakers family by becoming president of the Forum, the team’s former venue, in 1995. Just a few short years later, Jeanie would be named executive vice-president of business operations for the Lakers. When her father died in 2013, Jeanie was left with 11 percent ownership of the Lakers, an equal vote to her siblings. However, she was also named Lakers’ governor and team representative.

While the Lakers have stated that they “are not supporting nor involved with” Winning Time, Jeanie herself did not approve of the HBO series, per former Forum president Claire Rothman. However, Jeanie has been involved with several Laker-inspired shows. Jeanie is currently producing a fictional workplace comedy inspired by the Lakers with Mindy Kailing and Rambis and an upcoming Hulu docuseries about the Lakers.

Jeanie Buss is currently the controlling owner and president of the Los Angeles Lakers. As one of the only three NBA teams with women in ownership positions, Jeanie became the only female controlling owner to guide her team to a championship in 2020. She remains close friends with Magic Johnson, who she considers a brother. In an interview with comedian Theo Von, Jeanie said of Magic, “When he and I are together, working, strategizing, we speak the same language because we were basically raised by the same man. My dad bought the team when I was 17, Magic came that same year at age 19, so we’re basically the same age. We learned at the hand of the greatest owners ever.”

My takes -

To balance the picture

She was personally mentored by one of the best owner of ALL sports

If "Playing with Daddy's Money" means consistently making profits, maintaining a high-profile in the media, providing the necessary finances to go for LBJ/AD and (unfortunately) Westbrook and having prominent basketball minds (whether you agree or disagree) is a failure - she did win a Ring.

Owner's job is not having an ego (ergo - Jerry Jones, James Dolan, etc.) who feel that their decisions are the only one needs to be made. She decided to hire the best people (in her judgement) to head basketball opertions - like the Warriors, Cuban and others.

Acknowledge your "Conspiracy Theory" that she is "behind" the HBO series, which means your concession that she is much smarter than you think - lol! She "must" be either smarter or dumber - LOL

Jeanie's total commitment is the Lakers, as oppose to the vast majority of the other NBA owners where a NBA team is a "Shiny Toy" to play with and have fun with their friends.

Is Rob's job on the line - any GM's job is always on the line. If Rob is handicapped by Magic/Kurt/Linda/LBJ/AD, that is a problem

Does anyone doubg that The Greek Freak, Embiid, Curry, Luka and selected few other superstars have a large input into trades - hahahaha

NBA is a Player's League

People throughout LaLaLand/Lakerdom want rings with star power and excitement on the court with an ownership that is committed to taking Big Chances to win

Jeanie is that

Has she fallen well short this year - YES. She knows that the best time to NOT trade is when everybody believes that you have to trade (see Harden trade)
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Nevermind the days when modern basketball minds were running the team

At this point, even Chazz the bartender ain’t walking through that door either..
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 2:01 am    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:

At this point, even Chazz the bartender ain’t walking through that door either..
Many would ask if one could spell A N a L Y T I C S

of course, that would be the opposite of what Jerry West would do - lol!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 4:02 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
To balance the picture

To further balance the picture, Dr. Buss' succession plan did not give her control of the basketball side of the operation. She was supposed to run the business side while Jim ran the basketball side. Like a lot of old rich guys, Dr. Buss was foolish enough to believe that his kids would get along after he was gone.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:42 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
To balance the picture

To further balance the picture, Dr. Buss' succession plan did not give her control of the basketball side of the operation. She was supposed to run the business side while Jim ran the basketball side. Like a lot of old rich guys, Dr. Buss was foolish enough to believe that his kids would get along after he was gone.

Yes, but he also gave her power over him to be able to remove him. That is the way the power of the roles were set up. He wanted her to keep things as is, which she didn't. and that's the issue some may take, and I'm fine with it. Right from the get go, there was an issue with the power set up and many fans saw Jeanie removing Jim eventually years before it actually happenned.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:45 am    Post subject:

Here's the thing I ask of Jeanie. If she has integrity, she needs to hold Rambis, Pelinka etc to the same standard she did Jim/Mitch. She fired a coach who won a ring with his defensive schemes, but refuses to acknowledge that the FO made many mistakes in building the roster. If this were Jim/Mitch who built this roster and the results were what they were, Jeanie would have been all over it. Maybe not fired them for 1 lottery season, but Rob has had 3 lottery seasons in the 5 full seasons he's been around the team. No matter how you slice it, that's not what her dad would have accepted it either. And 3 head coaches now will be within 5 years of Rob's time. That's crazy to me. Not only can't they sustain a consistent roster, they can't pick a coach they actually want longterm. There's no continuity and vision with Rob and the support Jeanie has around her.

If Lebron doesn't pick us, we don't even have a title to show for it. I'm legit concerned about the decisions coming. We need to bring someone in who is a proven basketball executive in making trades, drafting, FAs etc all. That person is worth the max to us, much more than the next star would be. We only have a few draft picks, declining AD, overpaid THT, old Lebron, expiring WB contract, Reaves, Nunn as "assets" to move, and some anticipated capspace. We can't play the lottery for elite draft picks for a few years. So we need to really have a very good executive in place here and we don't. It's scary.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 8:15 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
troy wrote:

My takes -

To balance the picture

If "Playing with Daddy's Money" means consistently making profits, maintaining a high-profile in the media, providing the necessary finances to go for LBJ/AD and (unfortunately) Westbrook and having prominent basketball minds (whether you agree or disagree) is a failure - she did win a Ring.

Owner's job is not having an ego (ergo - Jerry Jones, James Dolan, etc.) who feel that their decisions are the only one needs to be made. She decided to hire the best people (in her judgement) to head basketball opertions - like the Warriors, Cuban and others.

Acknowledge your "Conspiracy Theory" that she is "behind" the HBO series, which means your concession that she is much smarter than you think - lol! She "must" be either smarter or dumber - LOL

Jeanie's total commitment is the Lakers, as oppose to the vast majority of the other NBA owners where a NBA team is a "Shiny Toy" to play with and have fun with their friends.

Is Rob's job on the line - any GM's job is always on the line. If Rob is handicapped by Magic/Kurt/Linda/LBJ/AD, that is a problem

Does anyone doubg that The Greek Freak, Embiid, Curry, Luka and selected few other superstars have a large input into trades - hahahaha

NBA is a Player's League

People throughout LaLaLand/Lakerdom want rings with star power and excitement on the court with an ownership that is committed to taking Big Chances to win

Jeanie is that

Has she fallen well short this year - YES. She knows that the best time to NOT trade is when everybody believes that you have to trade (see Harden trade)

She has fallen short in 80% of her seasons at the helm.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 8:16 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
j-dawg wrote:

Many would ask if one could spell A N a L Y T I C S

of course, that would be the opposite of what Jerry West would do - lol!

Actually that is exactly what Jerry West did.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
To balance the picture

Yes, but he also gave her power over him to be able to remove him. That is the way the power of the roles were set up. He wanted her to keep things as is, which she didn't. and that's the issue some may take, and I'm fine with it. Right from the get go, there was an issue with the power set up and many fans saw Jeanie removing Jim eventually years before it actually happenned.

I don't buy that. I don't think it ever occurred to him that Jeanie might remove Jim. I certainly don't think he ever envisioned a situation in which Jeanie was running the whole operation by herself. This is not an unfamiliar story, though. He was a rich old man who wanted his kids to run the family business. He should have known better and just sold the team. But rich old men have made this error many times.
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
troy wrote:

My takes -

To balance the picture

NBA is a Player's League

Jeanie is that

there is a world of difference between having to work at a job and knowing you may get fired if you underperform versus knowing you have a job for life. Her incompetency and lack of vision is becoming more and more obvious.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:36 am    Post subject:

Her loyalty to LeBron will mean another lottery year for our Los Angeles Lakers and the worse we are, the better the Pelicans will be.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:36 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:

My takes -

I agree with you, everything you said, and i'm just hoping for the best.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject:

Jeanie using Kobe’s name in vein last night to cover for whining about having to spend for this team.

Vote her out!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject:

She uses Kobe's name to make her look good trying to mask her incompetence as an owner. "We were terrible last year but look, we had the legendary Kobe Bryant."

Who knows? Without Lebron, we might have extended the missed playoffs streak to 9 seasons in a row. She's gotten a lot of undeserved credits for the championship because she did nothing to bring Bron here and Bron was mostly responsible for the championship.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
She uses Kobe's name to make her look good trying to mask her incompetence as an owner. "We were terrible last year but look, we had the legendary Kobe Bryant."

Who knows? Without Lebron, we might have extended the missed playoffs streak to 9 seasons in a row. She's gotten a lot of undeserved credits for the championship because she did nothing to bring Bron here and Bron was mostly responsible for the championship.

She’s in over her head and for the best of the franchise and NBA needs to sell. No one going to say that in media because of the implications of criticizing a female in todays climate
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

we can all read into this however we want (her tweet). i can have a better argument that its about bron than Russ. Either way they both need to go.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8
Jump to: