Superkobe 2003 memories

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject: Superkobe 2003 memories

I was watching one of my creams from 2003. Kobe was supernatural during that run. Hottest he ever got including 2006. White hot. RIP, Kobz.

This is one of his top 3 dunks ever, imo. Sh was CLEAN.

Timestamps on these in Suns vid are 5:24, 14:37 and 41:00 if you wanna skim that way. Below are links to those timestamps.

Here's one of my other top 3 Kobe d0nX.

Porty 2004 shots called by Stu/Sundy (NPZ only local version on YT)

03 MEM Sundy on this one, haha. He was GEEK'd. I think we shoulda stayed w/ Sundy and let him improve over time. His enthusiasm was refreshing compared to Droll Joel (tho I liked Meyers)

02 CHAR

99 GS free throw tap. He actually tapped in an errant tap by Horry right to him. This was one of the wildest games of the 1990s. Happened on day of Columbine.

05 CHA Bobcats

06 DEN. F the Nugget fans!

08 UTA. F the Jazz fans. Kobe FLOSSIN. "Aaaaall DAY, muh effers!" Spikes ball at end. Jazz fans booing Fish.

Kob windmill 02 UTA

BONUS. "SCOTT IT, SCOTT IT, GOT IT!"

BONUS: Clutch Earvin, Sonics, classic Chick call.

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Good stuff as always NPZ.

IIRC with Sundy, the Lakers let him go because the ratings down during his tenure. At least that was the word that was put out at the time. Never mind the fact that it was after the 3 peat era and a rebuild...

He was a Lakers' fan through and through though. I remember Chick's funeral and Sundy looked inconsolable. Speaking of the funeral that was one of 3 memories I have of it, the other two being Fox rocking the Lakers' warmups while making a speech and Shaq not being there.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:47 pm    Post subject:

How good was Kobe during the third championship season (01-02)?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KobeGOATMambaRIP
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:12 am    Post subject:

Still hate seeing the letters RIP every time I see his name. What a damn shame man
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Really really good. Game actually seemed like slowed down for him. They were so good early on. Want to say like 17-1?? Then coasted. Only thing to slow him down was the room service in Sacramento. Even when the Spurs game planned for him because he destroyed them the year before he still had a nice series vs them as well.

Finals were a mismatch so he picked his spots. Think his clutch turnaround over Kidd was to close out game 3??
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject:

SGVL1 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Really really good. Game actually seemed like slowed down for him. They were so good early on. Want to say like 17-1?? Then coasted. Only thing to slow him down was the room service in Sacramento. Even when the Spurs game planned for him because he destroyed them the year before he still had a nice series vs them as well.

Finals were a mismatch so he picked his spots. Think his clutch turnaround over Kidd was to close out game 3??

By 02, he was on par w/ Shaq in that playoff run, imo. A lot of fans think Kobe was superior to Shaq in 2001, but in 2002, they were fairly even during the entirety of the run. They went about 39-2 or something like that between 2001 and the start of 01/2. By the time they were 16-1, they did that ol habit of taking the foot off the pedal. Prolly didn't want to keep at peak intensity for 6 months of RS like they did in 2000 and were fat and happy after dominating from March 2001 to Dec 2001. My opinion, at least. Something happened for them to start 16-1 and then drop 23. I'm sure they realized that they were gonna be faced w/ the same teams as 2001 (and largely 2000). Played POR/SAC thrice and SA twice in those 3 yrs (and SA woulda been there in 2K if not for Timmy being out). Therefore, why bother getting HCA if we can beat SAC? Dangerous mindset if that was the case considering that losing the first 2 games (on the road in 02) was playing with doom. But the Queens came out completely impotent just like Porty did in Gm1 in 2K. Otoh, the Lakers came out fully erect. That's one of the things Phil seemed to instill in the lads well. Game 1 is worth the same as Game 7 and it's often the easiest one to win, so make sure to win it. Team that doesn't realize that? Rookie mistake. In both 2000 and 2002, by the time Gm 5-6-7 rolled around, the Lakers were holding on for dear life.

It's gross to consider what was done to his food in 02 if that was the cause. I don't hurl often. I was sick for 2 daze in the last few days of 1999. We played vs PHX, I recall watching some of that while shivering in a blanket. Per bballref, 12/29/99. That day I was at work and I remember feeling the first barely discernible tingle that felt ominous. I never ate lunch at work back then. Got home, it had seemingly passed so I ate spaghetti, set VCR, went to sleep. Woke up, BAM! Running down hall, didn't make it in time. Projectile, Italian style, lovely shade of reddish pink on the walls and floor. I instantly woke up and shot out of bed, I dunno how people can vomit even if they are drunk. In 2015, in the span of maybe 4-5 hrs, I got as sick as I've ever been in my LIFE and it was after eating Popeye's chicken strips for the very last time (unique sensation for this kind of event was that I could actually feel the heebies accumulating in my stomach after every yack, and after a yack, I never felt that much better than I was before, then the bug would start building up again). No way of knowing how I got sick either time. I don't even know if I got a stinkfinger in my chicken like Kobe may or may not have gotten in his milkshake. I suspect that's the case, but I've read that it takes longer for food-borne illness to hit, sometimes days. Iono how that is, but refer to wiki which is always 100% correct. Long story, it is naturally suspect that both Jordan and Kobe got ill during a critical playoff series and not in the RS to our memories, but we'll never know what the haps really were.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:50 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
SGVL1 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

By 02, he was on par w/ Shaq in that playoff run, imo. A lot of fans think Kobe was superior to Shaq in 2001, but in 2002, they were fairly even during the entirety of the run. They went about 39-2 or something like that between 2001 and the start of 01/2. By the time they were 16-1, they did that ol habit of taking the foot off the pedal. Prolly didn't want to keep at peak intensity for 6 months of RS like they did in 2000 and were fat and happy after dominating from March 2001 to Dec 2001. My opinion, at least. Something happened for them to start 16-1 and then drop 23. I'm sure they realized that they were gonna be faced w/ the same teams as 2001 (and largely 2000). Played POR/SAC thrice and SA twice in those 3 yrs (and SA woulda been there in 2K if not for Timmy being out). Therefore, why bother getting HCA if we can beat SAC? Dangerous mindset if that was the case considering that losing the first 2 games (on the road in 02) was playing with doom. But the Queens came out completely impotent just like Porty did in Gm1 in 2K. Otoh, the Lakers came out fully erect. That's one of the things Phil seemed to instill in the lads well. Game 1 is worth the same as Game 7 and it's often the easiest one to win, so make sure to win it. Team that doesn't realize that? Rookie mistake. In both 2000 and 2002, by the time Gm 5-6-7 rolled around, the Lakers were holding on for dear life.

It's gross to consider what was done to his food in 02 if that was the cause. I don't hurl often. I was sick for 2 daze in the last few days of 1999. We played vs PHX, I recall watching some of that while shivering in a blanket. Per bballref, 12/29/99. That day I was at work and I remember feeling the first barely discernible tingle that felt ominous. I never ate lunch at work back then. Got home, it had seemingly passed so I ate spaghetti, set VCR, went to sleep. Woke up, BAM! Running down hall, didn't make it in time. Projectile, Italian style, lovely shade of reddish pink on the walls and floor. I instantly woke up and shot out of bed, I dunno how people can vomit even if they are drunk. In 2015, in the span of maybe 4-5 hrs, I got as sick as I've ever been in my LIFE and it was after eating Popeye's chicken strips for the very last time (unique sensation for this kind of event was that I could actually feel the heebies accumulating in my stomach after every yack, and after a yack, I never felt that much better than I was before, then the bug would start building up again). No way of knowing how I got sick either time. I don't even know if I got a stinkfinger in my chicken like Kobe may or may not have gotten in his milkshake. I suspect that's the case, but I've read that it takes longer for food-borne illness to hit, sometimes days. Iono how that is, but refer to wiki which is always 100% correct. Long story, it is naturally suspect that both Jordan and Kobe got ill during a critical playoff series and not in the RS to our memories, but we'll never know what the haps really were.

So how would you rank 00-01 Kobe, 01-02 Kobe, and 02-03 Kobe? Why did Kobe average relatively few points (25.2 during the regular season) in 01-02?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 9:46 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

So how would you rank 00-01 Kobe, 01-02 Kobe, and 02-03 Kobe? Why did Kobe average relatively few points (25.2 during the regular season) in 01-02?

Uh, just off the cuff and sans stats (it's late for a stats-bolstered analysis), I thought 2003 Kobe was the most superior version of him, but they were threadbare as a team by then, so hard to compare that to the title seasons. I thought the 2001 Kobe and the whole team were heavily focused on running tri moreso than any of the other teams. I thought that was an exceptional Kobe playoffs because of the consistency in that regard. I'm not making a selfish Kobe point there, all the Lakers were absolutely on point and 2001 was the best the Lakers ever got under Phil before or since at running the tri. I think it was the only season or playoffs up to snuff w/ some of the Bulls teams. 2002 was a different type of season. A year older for the support guys who were showing wobbliness by then. Kobe and Shaq were as 50/50 as they got in the playoffs and we had to rely on both of them to have good games or else. Plain and simple, a 2 man squad with two important exceptions. Number one was Horry hitting the Gm4 shot (and Gm3 in POR for good measure). Second, by the grace of some deity, Shaq/Kobe/Fish/Horry/Fox all had good games in Gm7. Even Slava did. We got LUCKY in that regard. That was typically extremely unlikely on any given night much less Gm7 of the WCFs. It probably didn't happen all season until that game, wouldn't be shocked if that were the case. By the next year Fox and Horry were dogs w/ fleas. Awful.

RE: relatively low scoring in 02, 25 is good, CC. Haha. I can't say for the RS, but I don't think the team was trying all that hard after the 16-1 start. Maybe that was a factor in a slight dip in ppg for Kob.

What I came out of this was you got different Kobes in the playoffs in 2000, 2001, and 2002 (and later). Out of the title years, he was a superstar by 2000/01 if not in 99/00. I think 01 and 02 were playoffs where he largely did equal lifting w/ Shaq. In 00, I think they had the fairest distribution of impact that they ever got w/ the support crew, both the young and old guys. Even AC got some buckets in big gms. I view those playoffs as more of an outlier to 01 and 02. If I had to rank the playoff runs on an eyeball level for Kobe, I'd go 01, 02, 00. I think the 03 version would've been black mamba venom in any of those seasons, things just didn't work out right.

Lemme ax you now, CC. What's yer general take on the same question? I know you were a younger lad then, dreaming of getting into Princeton, but you've been around long enough to have shot the experience gap. Gimme your analysis, homie.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:06 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Uh, just off the cuff and sans stats (it's late for a stats-bolstered analysis), I thought 2003 Kobe was the most superior version of him, but they were threadbare as a team by then, so hard to compare that to the title seasons. I thought the 2001 Kobe and the whole team were heavily focused on running tri moreso than any of the other teams. I thought that was an exceptional Kobe playoffs because of the consistency in that regard. I'm not making a selfish Kobe point there, all the Lakers were absolutely on point and 2001 was the best the Lakers ever got under Phil before or since at running the tri. I think it was the only season or playoffs up to snuff w/ some of the Bulls teams. 2002 was a different type of season. A year older for the support guys who were showing wobbliness by then. Kobe and Shaq were as 50/50 as they got in the playoffs and we had to rely on both of them to have good games or else. Plain and simple, a 2 man squad with two important exceptions. Number one was Horry hitting the Gm4 shot (and Gm3 in POR for good measure). Second, by the grace of some deity, Shaq/Kobe/Fish/Horry/Fox all had good games in Gm7. Even Slava did. We got LUCKY in that regard. That was typically extremely unlikely on any given night much less Gm7 of the WCFs. It probably didn't happen all season until that game, wouldn't be shocked if that were the case. By the next year Fox and Horry were dogs w/ fleas. Awful.

RE: relatively low scoring in 02, 25 is good, CC. Haha. I can't say for the RS, but I don't think the team was trying all that hard after the 16-1 start. Maybe that was a factor in a slight dip in ppg for Kob.

What I came out of this was you got different Kobes in the playoffs in 2000, 2001, and 2002 (and later). Out of the title years, he was a superstar by 2000/01 if not in 99/00. I think 01 and 02 were playoffs where he largely did equal lifting w/ Shaq. In 00, I think they had the fairest distribution of impact that they ever got w/ the support crew, both the young and old guys. Even AC got some buckets in big gms. I view those playoffs as more of an outlier to 01 and 02. If I had to rank the playoff runs on an eyeball level for Kobe, I'd go 01, 02, 00. I think the 03 version would've been black mamba venom in any of those seasons, things just didn't work out right.

Lemme ax you now, CC. What's yer general take on the same question? I know you were a younger lad then, dreaming of getting into Princeton, but you've been around long enough to have shot the experience gap. Gimme your analysis, homie.

I'm surprised no one ever brings up the bolded when talking about how any more titles Shaq and Kobe would've won if they stayed together past 2004.

I honestly don't think they would've won any more titles with Shaq and Kobe because, as you mentioned, the rest of the team was extremely thin and old by then. All we had as far as a supporting cast in 2004 was a Karl Malone on his last legs coming off a sprained knee, an over-the-hill Gary Payton, Derek Fisher, who looked like a competent role player mostly because of the triangle and Shaq/Kobe, plus young players like Kareem Rush, Devean George and Slava Medvedenko who weren't rotation-quality players on a championship team.

I don't know how the Lakers would've quickly replenished that depth past 2004 if they had kept both Shaq and Kobe and done it while Shaq was still a good player, since he was rapidly declining.

The way they rebuilt quickly after the Shaq trade was a miracle. It really looked like Kobe and the Lakers were cursed in the mid-2000s.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:28 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

I'm surprised no one ever brings up the bolded when talking about how any more titles Shaq and Kobe would've won if they stayed together past 2004.

I honestly don't think they would've won any more titles with Shaq and Kobe because, as you mentioned, the rest of the team was extremely thin and old by then. All we had as far as a supporting cast in 2004 was a Karl Malone on his last legs coming off a sprained knee, an over-the-hill Gary Payton, Derek Fisher, who looked like a competent role player mostly because of the triangle and Shaq/Kobe, plus young players like Kareem Rush, Devean George and Slava Medvedenko who weren't rotation-quality players on a championship team.

I don't know how the Lakers would've quickly replenished that depth past 2004 if they had kept both Shaq and Kobe and done it while Shaq was still a good player, since he was rapidly declining.

The way they rebuilt quickly after the Shaq trade was a miracle. It really looked like Kobe and the Lakers were cursed in the mid-2000s.

Four years to be back in the finals is nothing compared to 2010 to 2020.

focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Such brilliance. I could talk about each clip, but here's just one:

The ridiculous patience in 3.3 seconds plus, measuring every tenth of a second, unbelievable. He played slo mo speed up. And then the form, wow. These clips are something. Thanks for another set. Just fantastic stuff here. Memories, all we've got to go on right now.

And now I just watched that silky smooth Charlotte game winner. His sense of the clock and how to use every part of it, phenomenal.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: