Dwayne Haskins struck by car and killed this morning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Wow. Something doesnt sound right about this.
I'm sure the facts will surface soon.

Coincidentally...I had a tire blow out on me on Thursday. Was on the 105 West right about to hit the 710 interchange. Nowhere to really pullover so I had to climb the ramp a bit as the car shook like crazy, felt like the car was going to explode.

So many damn semi trucks right there.... Luckily I was able to crawl the vehicle to the shoulder where there was a good amount of space. Stayed in the car the entire time waiting for the tow truck. There was no way I was going to risk getting out

I'd rather take my chances inside the car
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject:

^
First off, it's such a tragedy to die so young, and it's just awful.

Now to address what happened to you, I'm glad you're alright and I also had a tire blowout on the 105 once. This was when I was in my early 20's and it was possibly the scariest moment of my life. I was traveling on the 105 West in the early afternoon and it was around the Crenshaw exit, and I was in the #2 lane going about 75-80. Boom, the back left tire just blows out, and my car went into a rotating tailspin toward the right lanes. I mean, anything could have happened. I didn't try to brake or anything, and it all happened so fast. By the grace of whatever you believe in, my car didn't strike any other cars, which so easily could have happened. My car hit an embankment off to the right lanes, and again, in a huge stroke of luck, it was an embankment that sloped upward with vegetation, not like a cement barrier. Even then though, I mean, my car could have done anything when it hit the embankment, flipped over, who knows. As it turns out, the car hit the embankment and came to rest facing the opposite flow of traffic in a completely straight line, but off on the shoulder and not in the far right lane. I didn't have a scratch on me. I just waited in my car until help arrived, like you. I actually don't think about that very often at all, but I so easily could have been seriously injured or killed. Given that I was in the #2 lane, given where my car ended up, and given that I was driving at a time where there was a normal flow of traffic going, it's a miracle that all that happened was that my car hit the embankment but came to rest as it did.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
First off, it's such a tragedy to die so young, and it's just awful.

Now to address what happened to you, I'm glad you're alright and I also had a tire blowout on the 105 once. This was when I was in my early 20's and it was possibly the scariest moment of my life. I was traveling on the 105 West in the early afternoon and it was around the Crenshaw exit, and I was in the #2 lane going about 75-80. Boom, the back left tire just blows out, and my car went into a rotating tailspin toward the right lanes. I mean, anything could have happened. I didn't try to brake or anything, and it all happened so fast. By the grace of whatever you believe in, my car didn't strike any other cars, which so easily could have happened. My car hit an embankment off to the right lanes, and again, in a huge stroke of luck, it was an embankment that sloped upward with vegetation, not like a cement barrier. Even then though, I mean, my car could have done anything when it hit the embankment, flipped over, who knows. As it turns out, the car hit the embankment and came to rest facing the opposite flow of traffic in a completely straight line, but off on the shoulder and not in the far right lane. I didn't have a scratch on me. I just waited in my car until help arrived, like you. I actually don't think about that very often at all, but I so easily could have been seriously injured or killed. Given that I was in the #2 lane, given where my car ended up, and given that I was driving at a time where there was a normal flow of traffic going, it's a miracle that all that happened was that my car hit the embankment but came to rest as it did.

Yikes. Glad you are ok, as well. That sounds a lot worse than what I went through. Luckily traffic was starting to build and I was only going about 45-50 MPH so I was able to avoid any other vehicles and maintain control pretty quickly. But those few seconds of panic felt like 10 minutes. It's a scary thing.

Back to Haskins.... hopefully this was just a terrible accident and nothing comes out to tarnish the poor guys short life.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject:

I almost got hit before on the side of the freeway... I was stopped on the side because I got in a minor car crash with another car and in the heat of the moment I didnt realize how close I was to traffic lanes until a car honked at me. It really can happen to anyone.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject:

My best friend in elementary school was killed at 17 when he stopped to help a stranger change a tire on the 405 at Wilshire.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject:

If he was walking on the highway he was probably on the shoulder. If so the vehicle that hit him was off the highway.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
If he was walking on the highway he was probably on the shoulder. If so the vehicle that hit him was off the highway.

reports are he was crossing the hwy

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
My best friend in elementary school was killed at 17 when he stopped to help a stranger change a tire on the 405 at Wilshire.

When I was a young broke guy, I changed one of my tires after a blowout on the 5 freeway in Orange County right on the shoulder.

Absolutely terrifying, so dangerous.

Sad for this young man, freeways are speedways and you have to be super careful if you ever are on the shoulder and outside your car.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Man believes he saw Dwayne Haskins on I-595 Minutes before death

According to NBC 6, a man believes he saw Haskins on I-595 westbound just minutes before the crash.

Chris Stanley claims he was driving home from the airport, approaching the off-ramp to I-95 North, when he noticed vehicles veering into his lane.

According to Stanley, the man's arms were raised slightly as he appeared to be drifting into the major highway.

Quote:
Haskins was driving to the airport

Early, unverified reports suggest Dwayne Haskins was driving to the airport to return to Pittsburgh when his car ran out of gas. There is no mention as to why he didn't use his cellphone to call roadside assistance, but he reportedly stepped out of his car to cross the road looking for help.

Quote:
Schefter criticized for tweet about Haskins' NFL career

Despite being one of the first to report Haskins' death, ESPN's Adam Schefter has received criticism for the way he referred to the quarterback's NFL career, saying that after excelling in college with Ohio State he was "struggling to catch on with Washington and Pittsburgh in the NFL."

Those words did not go over well with the Buckeyes, who came out to defend Haskins and honor his life.

"A son, teammate and significant other was lost and that's what you have to say..." Ohio State receivers coach Brian Hartline tweeted.

"How about 'Dwayne Haskins, son, husband, buckeye brother, friend, beloved teammate has passed away.' " former OSU quarterback Cardale Jones wrote.

https://www.marca.com/en/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/2022/04/09/6251b7d5268e3e09268b4618.html
Corey78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Man believes he saw Dwayne Haskins on I-595 Minutes before death

According to NBC 6, a man believes he saw Haskins on I-595 westbound just minutes before the crash.

Chris Stanley claims he was driving home from the airport, approaching the off-ramp to I-95 North, when he noticed vehicles veering into his lane.

According to Stanley, the man's arms were raised slightly as he appeared to be drifting into the major highway.

Quote:
Haskins was driving to the airport

Early, unverified reports suggest Dwayne Haskins was driving to the airport to return to Pittsburgh when his car ran out of gas. There is no mention as to why he didn't use his cellphone to call roadside assistance, but he reportedly stepped out of his car to cross the road looking for help.

Quote:
Schefter criticized for tweet about Haskins' NFL career

Despite being one of the first to report Haskins' death, ESPN's Adam Schefter has received criticism for the way he referred to the quarterback's NFL career, saying that after excelling in college with Ohio State he was "struggling to catch on with Washington and Pittsburgh in the NFL."

Those words did not go over well with the Buckeyes, who came out to defend Haskins and honor his life.

"A son, teammate and significant other was lost and that's what you have to say..." Ohio State receivers coach Brian Hartline tweeted.

"How about 'Dwayne Haskins, son, husband, buckeye brother, friend, beloved teammate has passed away.' " former OSU quarterback Cardale Jones wrote.

https://www.marca.com/en/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/2022/04/09/6251b7d5268e3e09268b4618.html

This story is sad and odd. I just don't understand why a multimillionaire athlete would be walking on the I-95.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject:

If there's a Supreme Being it was watching over me. I changed a flat on the shoulder on the 101. Passing cars blew my car off the jack twice. I didn't have AAA. Thinking back I should have stood beside the car and waited for help.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
If there's a Supreme Being it was watching over me. I changed a flat on the shoulder on the 101. Passing cars blew my car off the jack twice. I didn't have AAA. Thinking back I should have stood beside the car and waited for help.

In the car is better. Let all that metal structure protect you. Standing next to it, it just becomes something else that can be smashed into you.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject:

I was about 17 with a couple of girlfriends coming home from a concert on a Saturday night. My car died in the fast lane and luckily there was a bit of a shoulder next to the divider and I pulled over to the left. I had Triple A but there were no cell phones (only those blue call boxes). I forbade anyone to get out of the car. I said that eventually the highway patrol or a tow truck would stop to see what happened. It took about an hour but eventually a highway patrol stopped and called Triple A for us. Don't know how I had the presence of mind at 17 to stay in the car no matter what. We were laughing and joking that the headline would be, "Girls die in car after 7 days when no one would stop."
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

In the car is better. Let all that metal structure protect you. Standing next to it, it just becomes something else that can be smashed into you.

My reasoning is if another vehicle came my way I could dive into the freeway foliage to avoid injury.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

My reasoning is if another vehicle came my way I could dive into the freeway foliage to avoid injury.

I'm simply expressing what the Highway Patrol etc. recommend. But by all means, rely on your cat like skills to react and avoid.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

This is specifically what happened in the Britt Reid case. A car ran out of gas on the on ramp. They called a family member to come help them out. The family member brought their 2 young kids with them. They came to the scene and parked in front of the car that ran out of gas.

They left the 2 kids in the backseat of the car while they were standing outside figuring out what to do. Britt Reid came crashing into the cars, severely injuring the kids. The adults that were outside of the car were untouched.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:19 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
I was about 17 with a couple of girlfriends coming home from a concert on a Saturday night. My car died in the fast lane and luckily there was a bit of a shoulder next to the divider and I pulled over to the left. I had Triple A but there were no cell phones (only those blue call boxes). I forbade anyone to get out of the car. I said that eventually the highway patrol or a tow truck would stop to see what happened. It took about an hour but eventually a highway patrol stopped and called Triple A for us. Don't know how I had the presence of mind at 17 to stay in the car no matter what. We were laughing and joking that the headline would be, "Girls die in car after 7 days when no one would stop."

Good sense for that age. In general, girls have better sense than boys, but the general "teen" aspect by itself wreaks havoc in the context of early driving/cars. I had a colleague who told me one of her friends in HS died from cracking her head on the pavement after she and others were standing on a friend's bumper or truck bed. Apparently the vehicle jolted forward just a little bit too quick. There was a time when you'd see kids/teens riding in the backs of pickups with the adult drivers thinking absolutely nothing of it.

Re: a group of teen girls, I remember this one Dateline type story on an SUV w/ about 8-9 girls in it and the driver was speeding down a back road and she lost traction in the rear wheels when she hit a dip in the road and the SUV goes rolling and something like 4-5 of the occupants wind up getting killed. It tore up the town where they were from. The driver was sorry, but the parents of the other girls who died blamed her and her family and litigation ensued. From what I recalled, it was a one vehicle deal w/ no other cause but a simple dip in the road that lifted the back wheels off the pavement and caused it to flip. You'd expect some things to be immensely dangerous on the road, but going a little over the limit on an otherwise straight road wouldn't be unless you knew better. I think that's the kind of thing they mean when they say teens feel they're invincible. I don't ever recall feeling invincible. It's more like you don't know what you don't know and therefore act that way.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

This is specifically what happened in the Britt Reid case. A car ran out of gas on the on ramp. They called a family member to come help them out. The family member brought their 2 young kids with them. They came to the scene and parked in front of the car that ran out of gas.

They left the 2 kids in the backseat of the car while they were standing outside figuring out what to do. Britt Reid came crashing into the cars, severely injuring the kids. The adults that were outside of the car were untouched.

I vaguely remember that case. Wasn't he charged with DUI? If that's the case do you have any info on the children's condition?

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:46 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I vaguely remember that case. Wasn't he charged with DUI? If that's the case do you have any info on the children's condition?

Quote:
Chiefs to Support Ariel Young 'For the Rest of Her Life' After Britt Reid Car Crash

The Kansas City Chiefs announced Friday that they will offer long-term support for the young girl who was injured in a car crash involving former Chiefs assistant coach Britt Reid in February.

According to TMZ Sports, the Chiefs said in a statement that they will help care for five-year-old Ariel Young "for the rest of her life" through "world-class medical care and long-term financial stability."

Young was seriously injured on Feb. 4 in Kansas City, Missouri, when Reid crashed his truck into the back of the vehicle she was in. Per TMZ, investigators said Young suffered a fractured skull, subdural hematomas and other injuries.

While Young's family has said she has a long way to go in her recovery, she was released from the hospital in April and attended her first day of school during the fall.

I think the other kid didn't suffer any serious permanent damage.

Quote:
Reid, the former K.C. Chiefs assistant coach and son of head coach Andy Reid, is charged with a felony driving under the influence that seriously injured two children on February 4, 2021.

Quote:
Ariel was one of two children seated in the back of a disabled silver Chevrolet Traverse who were hurt in the crash: the other child, a 4-year-old, suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

Quote:
“A little after 9 pm Thursday night 5-year-old Ariel, her mother, aunt and 4 year old cousin were out helping a family member who ran out of gas near I-435 and Stadium Drive,” reads the GoFundMe page.

“While helping her relative a Ram pickup truck driven by the Kansas City Chiefs assistant coach Britt Reid crashed into the vehicles on the side of the road. Reid admitted to police officers that he had “two or three drinks” and was on prescription Adderall.

Ariel suffered swelling in and bleeding in and around the brain. She is in critical condition and hasn’t woken since the crash. Her cousin 4 year old cousin, Julianna sustained a broken nose and concussion. Julianna is traumatized but now at home resting and healing from her injuries.”
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject:

^^^^Thanks. Good to hear she's in school. Hopefully her injuries won't be too disarming.

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Gas story confirmed:

Quote:
Dwayne Haskins' wife told a 911 dispatcher that the quarterback was walking to get gas on the morning he was struck and killed by a dump truck on a Florida highway, audio released by the Broward County Sheriff's office revealed Wednesday.

Kalabrya Haskins told the 911 dispatcher that her husband called her early April 9 and told her he was getting out of his vehicle to get gas and that he would call her back when he returned to the car. When she didn't hear back, she called 911 and requested that dispatch check on him.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

They teach us to put on reflective vests, turn on the signaling lights, quickly and safely get out of the car, get off the highway and walk behind the fence for about 100 m backwards to put up an emergency sign (if it's possible to do that safely) and then quickly get off the highway again. You are absolutely not to wait in the car or do any kind of work on it.

What a shame for a life (and such a young one at that) to end so tragically.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:45 am    Post subject:

Nobody wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

They teach us to put on reflective vests, turn on the signaling lights, quickly and safely get out of the car, get off the highway and walk behind the fence for about 100 m backwards to put up an emergency sign (if it's possible to do that safely) and then quickly get off the highway again. You are absolutely not to wait in the car or do any kind of work on it.

What a shame for a life (and such a young one at that) to end so tragically.

Is there consistent space like that for you to walk to in Slovenia? Also, do you drive on the L or R side? R would be handy for getting out at least on the slow lane shoulder (if any). American highways are all over the map. In S. Calif, they always seem like they're adding more lanes to freeways whenever possible, so it wipes away the precious space that may have been there before. Our highway system was mostly built in the post-war years when there wasn't as many cars. There's a funny line in "LA Confidential" where they are breaking ground on a freeway and touting how drivers can get from the city to the beach in 15 mins" or the like. Sort of an LA audience joke, forgot the FWY referenced. In the 90s, I remember there being median space in some stretches of freeway that was quite roomy by today's standards. Whenever the money and space is there, it seems that 1-2 lanes are being added to S. Calif freeways. Car traffic increases exponentially every 10-15 years now.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Hall of Famer Gil Brandt blasted for repulsive comments after Dwayne Haskins death

“I hate any time anybody is killed or anybody dies. But he was a guy that was living to be dead, so to speak. They told him don’t under any circumstances leave school early, you just don’t have the work habits, you don’t have this, you don’t have that…It was always something…Maybe if he just stayed in school a year, he wouldn’t do silly links, like jogging on a highway.”

NFL Hall of Famer Gil Brandt’s comments on NFL radio regarding Dwayne Haskins, via Pete Damilatis

https://sportsnaut.com/gil-brandt-dwayne-haskins-comments/

Geawd. Croak already, SilentGeneration-oomer. You missed one, Delta variant. That's the kind of cocker who needs to be out of the picture in 2022. This ahole began to drive when the Edsel was a no-go. He liked that 3rd headlight on the Tucker Torpedo when he saw it on the salesfloor. What a POS.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Dwayne Haskins was legally drunk at time of death, according to toxicology report

According to the toxicology report, two separate samples taken from Haskins' body had alcohol levels of .20 and .24, both of which are above the legal limit in Florida of .08.

According to the report, Haskins also tested positive for ketamine and norketamine, drugs that are used by medical professionals as anesthetics but that also have been known to be used recreationally.

The medical examiner's investigation report stated that when Haskins' car was found on the side of the highway, a "female companion" was in the vehicle and told the Florida Highway Patrol that Haskins had left the vehicle to try to find gas. The woman's relationship to Haskins was not known, according to the report.

According to the investigation report, a Steelers official told the medical examiner's office that the night before his death, Haskins went to dinner with a cousin or friend, whose name was "Joey," and then later went to a nightclub, "possibly in Miami."

"They drank heavily and at some point, they got into a fight, separating," the report states.

A final crash report released by the Florida Highway Patrol in April said Haskins was walking on the westbound side of I-595 when he entered into the travel lanes and into the path of the dump truck, which was traveling in the center lane. The front left of the dump truck struck Haskins.

The report concluded that Haskins was improperly in the roadway, and the driver of the dump truck wasn't found to have taken any actions that contributed to the accident, based on the judgment of the investigation officer. Haskins was also struck by a second car traveling beside the dump truck that took evasive maneuvers to avoid him, but partially hit him on its right side undercarriage, according to the report.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33971836/dwayne-haskins-was-legally-drunk-death-according-toxicology-report

This explains alot.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: