18 Ex-Players, Including Shannon Brown, Arrested for Health Care Fraud
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: 18 Ex-Players, Including Shannon Brown, Arrested for Health Care Fraud

https://thespun.com/nba/nba-healthcare-fraud-scheme-glen-davis-sebastian-telfair-tony-allen-wife-18-players

Quote:
18 former NBA players have been arrested and charged by federal officials with defrauding the NBA’s Health and Welfare Benefit Plan, according to NBC News’ Tom Winter and Jonathan Dienst. Among the most significant names involved: Glen “Big Baby” Davis, Sebastian Telfair, and former Memphis Grizzlies defensive star Tony Allen.

Milt Palacio, Antoine Wright, Darius Miles, Ruben Patterson, Eddie Robinson, Gregory Smith, Jamario Moon, Terrance Williams, Alan Anderson, Shannon Brown, William Bynum, Melvin Ely, Christopher Douglas-Roberts, C.J. Watson, and Tony Wroten are also involved in the alleged scheme. Desiree Allen, Tony Allen’s wife, has also been charged.

audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject:

you would think they'd cut ship and cover their tracks after the similar NFL bust but I guess not.
And they schemed for an average payout of only 133K per player? thats pennies compared to their career earnings.

I think the NBA should save these players from themselves by increasing the pension plan while making players pay in a certain % of their salary to cover it
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject:

Most of these dudes were journeyman players. Seems like life without the NBA meant they needed to find some other way to make easy money.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
you would think they'd cut ship and cover their tracks after the similar NFL bust but I guess not.
And they schemed for an average payout of only 133K per player? thats pennies compared to their career earnings.

I think the NBA should save these players from themselves by increasing the pension plan while making players pay in a certain % of their salary to cover it

I don't know when the next CBA is, but this needs to be added IMMEDIATELY.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Most of these dudes were journeyman players. Seems like life without the NBA meant they needed to find some other way to make easy money.

Miles made 62MM in his career and blew all of it. Incredible
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately its not surprising he blew it all most people who get into that type of $$$ they've never seen don't think long term about saving it or that the gravy train will end at some point.

I should be outraged but health insurance companies have defrauded most of the public for way worse so *shrugs*
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

It's well documented that a lot of professional athletes blow through their money.

The NBA has financial counseling and other programs for players, but ultimately there's just so much they can do. If a player chooses a bad financial advisor or pours his money into a flashy investment that goes bust, there's not much the league can do.

The pension plan is a partnership between the NBA and player's union. So the NBA can only save the players from themselves if the players go along with being saved.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

It's well documented that a lot of professional athletes blow through their money.

The NBA has financial counseling and other programs for players, but ultimately there's just so much they can do. If a player chooses a bad financial advisor or pours his money into a flashy investment that goes bust, there's not much the league can do.

The pension plan is a partnership between the NBA and player's union. So the NBA can only save the players from themselves if the players go along with being saved.

yes ofcourse the players union would have to be in agreement for something like that to happen but I dont see why they would resist as it definitely helps the players as whole
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject:

If I recall correctly, it was reported that Allen Iverson blew all of his money, but that his agent had arranged for a shoe company to put a bunch of his endorsement money into a trust fund that he couldn't touch until he turns 55. There is some other income stream that keeps him afloat until then. That's one helluva good agent.

These guys are stupid, but I can't honestly say that I would have been less stupid if I had been given millions of dollars at a young age. I get the sense that an increasing portion of NBA players are making long term plans, if for no other reason than that the money has gotten so huge that they can't find ways to piss it all down the drain. But there will always be train wrecks.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
If I recall correctly, it was reported that Allen Iverson blew all of his money, but that his agent had arranged for a shoe company to put a bunch of his endorsement money into a trust fund that he couldn't touch until he turns 55. There is some other income stream that keeps him afloat until then. That's one helluva good agent.

These guys are stupid, but I can't honestly say that I would have been less stupid if I had been given millions of dollars at a young age. I get the sense that an increasing portion of NBA players are making long term plans, if for no other reason than that the money has gotten so huge that they can't find ways to piss it all down the drain. But there will always be train wrecks.

That was an agent that clearly cared about his client and saw the train coming early on. My understanding is that it's nice sum of money, like $30+ million. So if he doesn't drink himself into an early grave, AI will be very comfortable in his latter years.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

The most recent crop of young players seem to have an awareness that's light years ahead of these knuckleheads.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject:

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2022/04/28/jazz-assistant-coach-keyon-dooling-arrested-in-healthcare-fraud-case/

Quote:
Jazz assistant coach Keyon Dooling arrested in healthcare-fraud case

NEW YORK (AP) — A former vice president of the National Basketball Players Association was arrested Wednesday and added to a criminal case in which 18 former NBA players were charged with illegally pocketing millions of dollars by defrauding the league’s health and welfare benefit plan.

The rewritten indictment added Keyon Dooling to the case first brought in October, when federal officials said a number of former NBA players combined to collect about $2.5 million from the benefit plan.

Dooling, who was a union officer for eight years and eventually became its first vice president, was among three individuals added to the indictment Wednesday. Dooling, now an assistant coach in the Utah Jazz organization, spent parts of 13 seasons in the NBA as a member of seven different teams.

In a statement, the Jazz said Dooling made the club aware of the indictment Wednesday morning.

“It is a case concerning his time at the National Basketball Players Association, prior to him joining our organization. He has been put on paid administrative leave,” the Jazz said. “Due to the ongoing legal process, we will refrain from further comment.”

The Jazz play Game 6 of their Western Conference first-round playoff series against the Dallas Mavericks at home on Thursday.

Dooling was arrested Wednesday in Utah, officials said.

Also added to the indictment were a doctor and a dentist who officials said were medical providers who facilitated the scheme.

Dooling, officials said, “allegedly engaged in the scheme and recruited other co-conspirators to join the scheme.”

All were charged with health care fraud and wire conspiracy for a fraud that authorities say spanned from at least 2017 to 2020.

In October, a prosecutor said each defendant made false claims that ranged from $65,000 to $420,000.

The updated indictment Wednesday said Dooling pocketed about $350,000 of plan proceeds illegally. In all, it said about $5 million in false claims were submitted, though claimants did not receive as much in proceeds.

Dooling previously was the wellness counselor for the union, helping oversee its mental health and wellness department. He also wrote a book in 2014 discussing, among other things, how he struggled with stress after being sexually abused as a child.

“Health is everything,” Dooling said in an interview after the book came out. “It has to be your biggest priority, health of all kinds, mind and body.”
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

The most recent crop of young players seem to have an awareness that's light years ahead of these knuckleheads.

Antoine Walker walked so these dudes could run.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 1:17 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Most of them don't even understand that their income as a player will eventually stop but their expenses will continue. If they had some stable support systems (parents, family etc.) instead of parasites maybe things would turn out differently.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject:

As I commented in the other thread about this

Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject:

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2022/08/28/former-nba-player-terrence-williams-pleads-guilty-in-health-plan-fraud-case/

Quote:
Former NBA player Terrence Williams pleads guilty in health plan fraud case

NEW YORK (AP) — Former NBA player Terrence Williams has pleaded guilty to conspiring to commit health care fraud and identity theft in connection to a multimillion-dollar scam against the basketball league’s health plan, authorities said.

Williams, 35, entered his plea in federal court in Manhattan on Friday. He is scheduled to be sentenced in January, and faces a maximum of 20 years in prison for the conspiracy charge, and a mandatory minimum of two years in prison for the identity theft.

An email seeking comment was sent to his attorney.

Williams was accused of being the leader of the scheme, which consisted of fraudulent claims and paperwork being submitted to the league’s plan for medical and dental reimbursements.

He and 17 other former players were charged in an indictment in October 2021, and authorities said at least $5 million in false claims were submitted to the plan between 2017 and 2021.

Damian Williams, the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, said Terrence Williams ran the scheme and recruited others to be part of it, giving them fake paperwork to submit.

In situations where others involved balked, authorities said Williams pretended to be other people and threatened them in order to gain compliance.

The former player had been on pretrial release but was remanded into custody earlier this year, with authorities telling a judge he had threatened a witness.

As a part of the plea agreement, Williams will pay $2.5 million in restitution to the plan and forfeit over $650,000 to the federal government.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject:

https://www.si.com/nba/2023/02/19/ex-nba-players-sentenced-to-prison-after-multimillion-dollar-fraud-scheme

Quote:
Ex-NBA Players Sentenced to Prison After Multimillion Dollar Fraud Scheme

Former NBA players Alan Anderson and Keyon Dooling have received prison sentences for their respective roles in a multimillion dollar healthcare fraud scheme, according to a release from the U.S. Department of Justice.

Per the release, Dooling received a two-and-a-half year prison sentence on Friday, while Anderson was handed a two year sentence on Feb. 10 after they were found guilty for their roles in a scheme to defraud the NBA Players’ Health and Welfare Benefit Plan.

In addition to their respective prison sentences, both players were also ordered to forfeit money and pay restitution as well. Dooling was ordered to forfeit $449,250.50 and pay restitution of $547,495, while Anderson was ordered to forfeit $121,000 and also pay restitution of $121,000.

“These former players recruited others to take part in this widespread fraud scheme and went to great lengths to keep the scheme running smoothly, facilitating hundreds of thousands of dollars of fraudulent claims,” U.S. attorney Damian Williams said in the release. “This Office will continue to aggressively prosecute those engaged in health care fraud schemes, no matter what their profession. Those considering submitting false claims to health care plans should recognize that they will be subject to serious penalties.”

Anderson was one of 18 former players arrested and charged in an October 2021 case that involved around $4 million in fraudulent claims to the league’s healthcare plan. Dooling was arrested and charged in April of ’22 as part of the case while working as an assistant coach in the Jazz organization.

Dooling received around $363,000 in fraudulent reimbursements and was also involved in facilitating additional claims for other individuals totaling $194,295. Anderson received $121,000 in reimbursements and helped facilitate $710,000 worth of claims.

Anderson had two separate stints in the NBA from 2005-’07 and again from ’11-’17. He played for Charlotte, Toronto, Brooklyn, Washington and the Clippers. Across 330 NBA games, Anderson averaged 7.3 points and 2.2 rebounds per game.

As for Dooling, he spent 13 seasons in the NBA before retiring after the 2012 season. He played for the Clippers, Magic, Nets, Bucks, Heat, Celtics and Grizzlies. In 728 games, he averaged 7.0 points and 2.2 assists per game.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 1:59 pm    Post subject:

https://www.fox13memphis.com/news/tony-allen-pleads-guilty-to-conspiracy-to-commit-health-care-fraud/article_dcd05c7c-f8e6-11ed-a26c-b7756b324979.html

Quote:
Tony Allen pleads guilty to conspiracy to commit health care fraud

Tony Allen pled guilty to conspiracy to commit health care fraud and wire fraud, according to the Department of Justice.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - The Grindfather is guilty.

Tony Allen, a staple of the Memphis Grizzlies' "Grit-N-Grind" era, pled guilty to conspiracy to commit health care fraud and wire fraud, according to the Department of Justice.

The plea came back on April 5, 2023, nearly 19 months after Allen was named along 17 other ex-NBA players of defrauding the league's health and welfare benefit plan out of about $4 million.

Nineteen people in total were accused of the fraud and investigators said that group saw about $2.5 million in fraudulent proceeds.

According to the indictment, between 2017 and 2020 the ex-players submitted false and fraudulent claims to get reimbursed for medical and dental expenses that were never actually incurred.

Allen played for the Memphis Grizzlies from 2010 to 2016, helping Memphis make it to the Western Conference Finals in 2013 with playoff round winds over the Los Angeles Clippers and San Antonio Spurs. He also helped the team advance to the semifinal round in 2011 and 2015.

Allen's sentencing is scheduled for August 8, 2023.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject:

I forgot Tony Allen was part of this. I just saw him on YouTube recently with KG talking about the Ja Morant situation.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 12:16 pm    Post subject:

So did I until yesterday
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 2:26 pm    Post subject:

I actually now the doctor who was facilitating all this. He's on his way to jail on June 1st
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 2:47 pm    Post subject:

27 wrote:
I actually now the doctor who was facilitating all this. He's on his way to jail on June 1st

Wow can you tell us more?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
27 wrote:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-02-10/encino-chiropractor-who-bilked-nba-health-plan-sentenced
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 3:55 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
27 wrote:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-02-10/encino-chiropractor-who-bilked-nba-health-plan-sentenced

Thanks for the link wow a chiropractor was in on this.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nba/news/former-nba-player-terrence-williams-sentenced-to-10-years-in-prison-for-defrauding-nba-health-care-plan

Quote:
Former NBA player Terrence Williams sentenced to 10 years in prison for defrauding NBA health care plan

NEW YORK (AP) — A federal judge sentenced a former first-round NBA draft pick to 10 years in prison Thursday, saying he used his people skills to entice others to aid his $5 million health care fraud after he “frittered away” substantial earnings from his professional career.

Terrence Williams, 36, of Seattle, was also ordered to forfeit more than $650,000 and to pay $2.5 million in restitution for ripping off the NBA’s Health and Welfare Benefit Plan between 2017 and 2021 with the help of a dentist in California and doctors in California and Washington state. Profits were generated by claims for fictitious medical and dental expenses.

Prosecutors said fraudulent invoices created by the medical professionals were processed by other people whom Williams recruited to defraud the plan, which provides health benefits to eligible active and former NBA players and their families.

“You were yet another player who frittered away substantial earnings from the period of time when you were playing basketball professionally,” Judge Valerie E. Caproni told him. “You should have had enough money to be set for life, but you don’t.”

Williams was picked No. 11 in the 2009 draft by what was then the New Jersey Nets. Before his career ended in 2013, he played for the Nets, Boston Celtics, Houston Rockets and Sacramento Kings. Williams earned $6.9 million in salary during his career.

Skip

Williams had pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit health care and wire fraud and aggravated identity theft in a case that resulted in criminal charges against 18 former NBA players. So far, 13 have pleaded guilty to charges. Of those who have been sentenced, many have received “time served” or probation, meaning they didn’t have to go to prison. At least 10 of the ex-players paid kickbacks totaling about $230,000 to Williams, authorities said.

For the most part, the ex-players charged had journeyman careers playing for several different teams and never reached anywhere close to the enormous stardom or salary that top players command.

Still, the 18 players made a combined $343 million during their on-court NBA careers, not counting outside income, endorsements or what any may have made playing overseas.

Before the sentence was announced, Williams choked up repeatedly as he blamed his crime on “stupidity and greed” and said he regretted that his incarceration will keep him from his six children, two of whom are now adults.

“I one million percent take full accountability for my role in this case,” he said.

He added that he came to court “humble and humiliated” as he blamed his turn toward crime in part on an opioid addiction that developed after he took painkillers to cope with the pain of lingering injuries from his professional career.

The judge, though, said it appeared that he used his big personality to lure friends and others to join him in a scheme to steal money because he didn’t want to seek legitimate employment.

She said his behavior was “extortionate, aggressive.” And his motivation, she added, “was greed.”

“You think first and foremost about yourself and not others,” Caproni said.

She said she was going to require him to participate in a program that teaches how to manage money. As for what happened to his NBA earnings, she said: “My guess is it was just frittered away on stupid stuff.”

U.S. Attorney Damian Williams said the defendant who played for Louisville in college recruited medical professionals and others to carry out a criminal conspiracy and maximize illegal profits.

“Williams not only lined his pockets through fraud and deceit, but he also stole the identities of others and threatened a witness to further his criminal endeavors. For his brazen criminal acts, Williams now faces years in prison.”

Williams has been incarcerated since May 2022, when prosecutors alleged that he sent threatening phone texts to a witness in the case.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: