Lakers Showtime Series coming to HBO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject:

Jerry West and his attorney willing to take this all the way to the Supreme Court if he has to.
Quote:
Jerry West: 'If I have to, I will take this all the way to the Supreme Court'
Chuck Schilken
Tue, April 26, 2022, 4:00 AM

Jerry West couldn't help himself.

The NBA legend recently spoke to former Times sports editor Bill Dwyre about "The Dream Whisperer," a documentary film about the incredible journey of West's former Lakers teammate Dick Barnett.

But West also used the opportunity to make his first public comment on his beef with HBO's "Winning Time."

West, 83, told Dwyre he will be on hand for the premiere of "The Dream Whisperer" on Saturday at 7 p.m. at the Pan African Film & Arts Festival, in a theater complex at the Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza.

According to Dwyre, West added that it will be nice to watch something accurate and positive.

That, of course, is a reference to "Winning Time," which dramatizes, and sometimes fictionalizes, elements of the Lakers' Showtime era.

Last week, West expressed his unhappiness with the way he is portrayed in the series through a letter to HBO from his attorney, Louis R. Miller.

"You replaced the real Jerry West — a consummate professional — with his polar opposite, then portrayed this lie to the public as genuine," the letter read. "You thereby violated the law."

The letter also said: "To mitigate the harm you have caused, we request the issuance of a retraction of Winning Time’s false depiction of Jerry West no later than two weeks from the date of this letter. You also owe Mr. West an apology for your hurtful misrepresentation of his work and legacy, plus damages for the harm you caused to his well-earned and stellar reputation."

Although the letter seemed to suggest some legal action might take place if those demands aren't met, West apparently confirmed that to be his intention during his discussion with Dwyre.

“The series made us all [the Lakers] look like cartoon characters,” West told Dwyre. “They belittled something good. If I have to, I will take this all the way to the Supreme Court.”

This story originally appeared in Los Angeles Times.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject:

HBO responded

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/hbo-defends-winning-time-jerry-west-1235241222/

This is all entertaining and giving the show way more attention.

The Kobe years will be worse

Last edited by Basketball Fan on Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

<snip>
If I have to, I will take this all the way to the Supreme Court.

As much as I like the guy he needs to get some competent legal advice. Even if we (and the courts) accept his premise that he was defamed how does he intend to establish his damages?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

<snip>

As much as I like the guy he needs to get some competent legal advice. Even if we (and the courts) accept his premise that he was defamed how does he intend to establish his damages?

He is just reinforcing the accuracy of his portrayal and this will be featured in season 42 of Winning Time.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject:

I don't understand why West is so upset with his portrayal. Yes at first it was jarring but as the season goes on you just understand that he is obsessed with the Lakers. He's not a bad guy, just that his obsession can make him go through weird emotional periods. Same thing with Chick. I don't understand why people don't like his portrayal, is it because they show him drinking during games. Yeah I'm sure him and everyone else back then Lets not forget in this era players were smoking and drinking during halftime.
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

<snip>

He is just reinforcing the accuracy of his portrayal and this will be featured in season 42 of Winning Time.

Right. This is exactly what ‘winning time’ Jerry would say/do. It’s some of fabricated for Hollywood, yes. Is there truth to how they are being portrayed, yes.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject:

Jerry just confirming that the portrayal is pretty accurate
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject:

I wish this show was on daily like the daytime soaps it has that much drama
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:58 am    Post subject:

is HBO paying Jerry for his shenanigans? it's good for ratings... and only proves that McKay might have actually pegged West more than he even realizes.

i mean, jeez... chill out Jerry! if anything... Chick's family should sue. he's being painted and a drunk racist.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
is HBO paying Jerry for his shenanigans? it's good for ratings... and only proves that McKay might have actually pegged West more than he even realizes.

i mean, jeez... chill out Jerry! if anything... Chick's family should sue. he's being painted and a drunk racist.

Plot twist if this is some elaborate PR blitz
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject:

This is like if celebs threatened to sue and demanded retractions from SNL for their skits that are loosely based on factual events. It would be brilliant if instead this was Jerry collaborating with HBO to raise the profile of the show in exchange for compensation.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject:

i know the show is entertaining, i watch it for that sole purpose. but it's mind boggling why Buss family gave the green light to this show. are they that desperate to get royalty money out of this? this show will further the perception that Laker franchise/ownership is a joke.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
i know the show is entertaining, i watch it for that sole purpose. but it's mind boggling why Buss family gave the green light to this show. are they that desperate to get royalty money out of this? this show will further the perception that Laker franchise/ownership is a joke.

Talk about clueless, the Buss family had no involvement

Last edited by AD23 on Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Well they're already talks about trying to cast Phil Jackson. If you think the backlash is bad now it will be worse when they get into this era of the Lakers..

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/winning-time-book-backlash-showtime-lakers-1235239785/

Quote:

‘Winning Time’: Author Jeff Pearlman Talks Series Backlash, Meeting Adam McKay and Who Should Play Phil Jackson

By J. Kim Murphy

Plus Icon
jeff pearlman winning time writer
Courtesy of HBO

One week ago, NBA legend and Los Angeles Lakers icon Jerry West employed his legal representation to send a letter to HBO, Warner Bros. Discovery and Adam McKay demanding a legal retraction for his portrayal on HBO’s “Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty.” The correspondence included testimony by former members of the Lakers organization, including retired ballplayer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, to reinforce its argument of the show creating “a deliberately false characterization.” Weeks before, Earvin “Magic” Johnson himself voiced his criticism of the series to Variety, saying “You can’t do a story about the Lakers without the Lakers… the real Lakers.”

Author Jeff Pearlman, whose book “Showtime: Magic, Kareem, Riley, and the Los Angeles Lakers Dynasty of the 1980s” has been adapted to the HBO series, gets where they’re coming from.

Related Stories

VIP+
Fixing Netflix Requires Bold Strokes From Reed Hastings

Robert Pattinson Returning for ‘The Batman’ Sequel
“I don’t get mad when people are talking about that. Obviously, people have a right,” Pearlman tells Variety. “Some guy is writing a book. You don’t know him. ‘OK, well, how much are you going to pay me?’ I’m not going to pay you. ‘Well, what about editorial control?’ No, you have no editorial control. ‘Well, can I read my quotes before?’ Actually, you can’t. I get why people don’t talk to us. It always rubs my motor a little bit. I’m going to call every other teammate and every ball boy and every Laker girl, and I’m going to record the hell out of this… It makes sense that they have weird feelings about it. I harbor no grudge or ill will or anything”

In a conversation with Variety, Pearlman discusses his extensive research while writing “Showtime,” the thrill of seeing anecdotes he uncovered being adapted to the screen and taking a meeting with series executive producer and pilot director Adam McKay.

Since you write about sports at large, do you still root for any teams in particular?

I’m one of those guys who covered sports for such a long time that I stopped rooting for anybody. So I grew up a diehard New York Jets fan, diehard New Jersey Nets fan, diehard Mets fan. Now I root for good games.

It’s liberating, isn’t it?

When I was rooting for teams, I’d have the ups and downs and the misery and blah blah. And most of my life was watching really (bleep) sports. I actually find myself a much happier human being not having a vested interest.

I get it, I’m a Sacramento Kings fan.

That’s amazing. That’s like being a Jets fan except in basketball. Well, you don’t have to worry about the Kings being in the playoffs. So that’s actually a good way to go.

When I asked Jason Segel, who plays coach Paul Westhead on “Winning Time,” about the 2021-2022 Lakers season, he said it was much more about power dynamics than it was about basketball. Does that phrase connect with you as a sports writer?

I think most sports writers who write books will tell you that the thing that interests them the least is what happens on the court. It doesn’t hold up in a book, it holds up in a newspaper the next day. You’re always looking for quirky characters, people who maybe wouldn’t be thought of that much. Obviously there’s Magic Johnson and Kareem, but I liked Mark Landsberger [played by Austin Aaron on “Winning Time”]. I like the idea that you throw 15 people together and they all have to get along in this little tiny world — a little tiny room, a little tiny plane, a relatively small court.

You also wrote “Three Ring Circus,” which documents the years when the Lakers were helmed by Kobe Bryant, Shaquille O’Neal and Phil Jackson. Since that period was more recent, were people less open to discussing the material with you?

The more recent you are, you still have an edge to the stories. Getting fired from a job isn’t funny. It’s a little more funny five years after it happened. It’s a lot more funny 20 years after it happened, you can totally laugh about it. It’s the same with sports.

Especially with regards to “Three Ring Circus,” which was released shortly after the death of Kobe Bryant. I imagine something like that radically shifts the way people want to talk about things.

I was very nervous about that book coming out. I didn’t want people to think I was just capitalizing on Kobe’s death — just another guy coming out with a get-rich-quick scheme on the back of a real tragedy. I’d worked on that book for years before he died. It ended up OK, but I was very nervous about that.

Was there immediate interest about adapting “Showtime” to the screen?

[Series co-creator] Jim Hecht somehow got a hold of me. He grew up loving the Lakers and thought it could be a great TV series. I didn’t know what to make of it, so I did a Google search and found his big credit was “Ice Age: The Meltdown.” So I was like, “Who knows?” going into it. He wound up coming to our house on Easter Sunday. I’m Jewish and he’s Jewish, and maybe that’s why it was no big deal. He came off as very sincere. I ended up giving him the option rights to the book for free. You really should never do that. I didn’t know what I was doing. But I never expected anything.

Did you even think about it after?

I thought about when he called me every now and then to give me some update. I thought it was (bleep). In 2019, Hecht said “Adam McKay wants to meet.” And I didn’t know who that was; I’m like a moron. I Googled it and I go to his house — he’s lying there, and he likes the book. I still don’t think anything’s going to happen. I get a contract with HBO. And I still don’t really think anything’s going to happen. They pay a little bit of money. I have no faith whatsoever. And then I’m home one day, and a friend of mine from college emailed me a link to an article saying John C. Reilly agreed to star in an HBO series.

Is there a specific anecdote that you uncovered while researching the book that you are proud made it to “Winning Time”?

This is going to sound small and insignificant, but, for me, it was awesome. Magic and his dad go to the Forum and are served sand dab, which is a super weird fish. That came straight from the book. Another thing that really satisfies me is the story of Jack McKinney (portrayed by Tracy Letts on the series). I got pretty close to the McKinney family. Nobody knew who he was. He was like a little footnote of a footnote of a footnote in Laker history. It was very satisfying to me that I wrote this book and I learned all about him. And now there’s a TV show with Jack McKinney.

Picture the world years from now. We’re in Season 20-something of “Winning Time,” exploring the Shaq and Kobe days. Who is playing Phil Jackson?

What’s-that-guy’s-name would be good. He’s too old now though, but the guy from the “We are Farmers” commercials.

J.K. Simmons.

He’s not bad. I would probably try to pull Brad Pitt. That’d be amazing. They optioned the book and people always get excited over things way prematurely. A lot has to happen. If the show ended right now, I just had the luckiest run in my life. It’s all gravy for me.

This interview has been edited and condensed
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Donald Sutherland = Phil Jackson

YAHHHH BABY
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

the show is about the Laker franchise, i'm pretty sure Buss family were consulted before production. you don't produce a documentary about Disney without their consent no? same thing here.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
Donald Sutherland = Phil Jackson

YAHHHH BABY

If he's still around by then. I'd be surprised. However I enjoyed his narration of America's Game for the Colts.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
AD23 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

the show is about the Laker franchise, i'm pretty sure Buss family were consulted before production. you don't produce a documentary about Disney without their consent no? same thing here.

If they're public figures you don't need their consent otherwise West, Magic etc wouldn't be complaining right now.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Norm McDonald dressed as the Colonel from KFC would’ve been a good fit. RIP
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject:

So much internet ink being spilt over a boring, overproduced schlock of (bleep). Knock it off with the bUt iTs NOt a dOc (bleep). Duh. It's still contrived, surface level gobbledygook. Calling it pablum would be a compliment.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
So much internet ink being spilt over a boring, overproduced schlock of (bleep). Knock it off with the bUt iTs NOt a dOc (bleep). Duh. It's still contrived, surface level gobbledygook. Calling it pablum would be a compliment.

I agree its overproduced and it doesn't need to be. Otherwise I think the characters(er people) involved were compelling figures regardless that it would take someone completely inept to make these people boring.

I still enjoy watching it despite the inaccuracies. I do think the characterizations are spot on though for West, Magic and Kareem.

I do think it has opened the door to other storied franchises/winning teams get this type of production.

90s Cowboys, 86 Mets etc.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
AD23 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

THE GOOGLE.... this is based on a book

Does that sound like approval or involvement lol

During the series’ CTAM session on Tuesday series co-creator Max Borenstein addressed reports about the lack of cooperation from the Lakers themselves and the Buss family.

https://deadline.com/2022/02/winning-time-co-creator-addresses-series-lack-of-lakers-involvement-1234934170/
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject:

After the first few episodes had the wrong scores of games played that season I knew I shouldn't take the show seriously in terms of facts.

But I still get pumped about the Lakers winning haha.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:08 am    Post subject:

Shaq liked it and did y'all know he has Emmy and Oscar in his bag

Quote:
O’Neal said he is a fan of the popular and controversial HBO show “Winning Time,” a scripted series on the rise of the Showtime era Lakers in the 1980s. “I like it but I don’t like how they depict my good friend Jerry West. But other than that I think it’s very interesting.” – via Reuters
Jerry West, Shaquille O'Neal, Los Angeles Lakers

“Jerry was always kind and compassionate to me. I’ve never seen him have those meltdowns. So I think that portrayal of Mr West was probably false,” said O’Neal. – via Reuters

Despite that, he said he would welcome a second season focused on the Shaq and Kobe Bryant-led Lakers, who won three straight championships starting in 2000. “Let’s do it,” he said. “I’m the type where you can say or do whatever you want, no problem. I understand the entertainment world,” added O’Neal, who won an Academy Award last month as a producer on “The Queen of Basketball,” a short subject documentary on the life of pioneering star Lusia Harris
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject:

I knew about the Oscar not the Emmy though and I figured Shaq would be a player that would welcome it (for now anyways).

He also knows that Kobe is the one that's going to be trashed more..
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 10 of 16
Jump to: