The Smallest Apartment?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: The Smallest Apartment?

Apartment with a bathroom in the kitchen

LINK

This apartment in St. Louis is only 200 square feet, which is the smallest I have ever seen or heard about. I have been in some small apartments in NY, but they were more "small for the price"....nothing like this. It rented for $545 monthly.

I personally lived in a 1BR Apartment in Daytona Beach for a year in my early 20's that was only 549 square feet along with a female...and that was pretty small. Probably not bad for one person. It had the tiny kitchen that was open to the living area, a small bedroom and bathroom. If I recall, it was like $700ish a month.

Anyone else lived in a small apartment?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject:

I wonder how much something like that would go for in the Bay Area.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I wonder how much something like that would go for in the Bay Area.

do not know....aren't rental prices extremely high in the Bay Area? At least in San Franciso? My guess would be that St. Louis would have more reasonable rental prices compared to other metro areas.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject:

200sqft is very small but not a micro-apartment small. They could have easily made a layout where the bathroom isnt stuffed into the kitchen like that.

I lived in a 500ish sqft apt when I first started working out of college. As a single guy living alone who didnt have a bunch of "stuff" that was plenty of space for me. I even had a decent sized walkin closet.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Smallest Apartment?

adkindo wrote:

LINK

This apartment in St. Louis is only 200 square feet, which is the smallest I have ever seen or heard about. I have been in some small apartments in NY, but they were more "small for the price"....nothing like this. It rented for $545 monthly.

I personally lived in a 1BR Apartment in Daytona Beach for a year in my early 20's that was only 549 square feet along with a female...and that was pretty small. Probably not bad for one person. It had the tiny kitchen that was open to the living area, a small bedroom and bathroom. If I recall, it was like $700ish a month.

Lived in an apartment that was 522 sq ft on two levels (18 by 18 with and 18 by 11 loft). Had my four kids stay every other weekend. It was a sardine fan but we had a blast.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
200sqft is very small but not a micro-apartment small. They could have easily made a layout where the bathroom isnt stuffed into the kitchen like that.

I lived in a 500ish sqft apt when I first started working out of college. As a single guy living alone who didnt have a bunch of "stuff" that was plenty of space for me. I even had a decent sized walkin closet.

yeah, that was similar to my apartment I described above....a little cramped for 2, but it would have been fine for a single guy. It also had a decent walk in closet. One thing i recall is there was only room for those small stack washer and dryers.....and the dryer did not work well. I bought it used, so it could have just not worked well any longer.....but I know the ones they make now work much better. My clothes would always come out very wrinkled, and it took forever for them to dry. There was a simplicity to those days I miss, although at the time I could not wait to make more money and get a bigger place, a nicer car, etc.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Smallest Apartment?

Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:

LINK

Lived in an apartment that was 522 sq ft on two levels (18 by 18 with and 18 by 11 loft). Had my four kids stay every other weekend. It was a sardine fan but we had a blast.

I wish I could trap my teenage daughter in a small living space.....she acts offended if she has to spend any real time in the living areas around others. She just mumbles on her way to her bedroom most of the time. She is an excellent "kid" in every way.....just at that age.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject:

I currently live in 450 square feet with my GF, in the Bay Area.

It’s ridiculously expensive but we both have good jobs so we can manage. It was really small at first but once you get used to it you realize you don’t really need much more space, and it forces you to get rid of crap you don’t need. Plus, we’re both only a year or two removed from college, so it’s not like we need the extra space anyways.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:

It’s ridiculously expensive but we both have good jobs so we can manage. It was really small at first but once you get used to it you realize you don’t really need much more space, and it forces you to get rid of crap you don’t need. Plus, we’re both only a year or two removed from college, so it’s not like we need the extra space anyways.

at that point in my life, I did not stay home often anyway
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:

Very similar, my wife and I live in a 480 sq, but its on the beach so we don't complain at all. If we feel claustrophobic we just walk out the door to the beach.

You get used to it although it is hard to have people over. Luckily we have a porch with a BBQ and picnic table.

Our kitchen is so narrow/small however we can't open our fridge the entire way
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject:

I had an apartment in West Virginia....it was 2 BR/1Bath and about 1,000 square feet. It was not fancy in any way....but very clean and in one of the nicer area's of Charleston. Mostly young professionals at the time lived there....a lot of young nurses, lawyers, accountants. Rent was a whopping $350 a month! It was years ago, but at the time the cheapest I could have found a similar apartment in Florida would have probably been near $1,000 a month. Actually less than 5 years ago a friend on mine got divorced and told me he moved into the same apartments, and rent was $525 a month. Just giving you an idea how cheap it is in some locations.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject:

Always wanted to be able to drop a deuce while getting my omelette on.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:40 am    Post subject:

Lived in North Miami for couple years in my younger days, efficiency unit (it was a bedroom with a bathroom, fridge, bed and a plug in single stove then they cut a door on the wall to outside and sealed the door to the main house), $350/mo including Utilities, < 300 SqFt, late 90s early 00s, it suited the need
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject:

When I was first out of college, I lived in a 500 sq ft apartment that was really an attic converted to an apartment. The 500 sq ft measurement was misleading though because all the ceilings were slanted so you couldn't stand or place any real furniture near the walls.

I used to love telling people to go look out the window (which windows were near the floor) and watch them bonk their heads into the ceiling.

I have to say, it is still my favorite place to live...ever. It was near restaurants and bars and bus lines and everything I needed. Even my dealer. Good times.

I was recently in Austin with my family and we stayed right next to a "tiny home" community and I told them that when I retire, they can find me there. Less is more.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: