Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
I voted for Mastro's (BH). We went in February - still good.

The Grill on The Alley has surpassed the others on the list. Bourbon Steak in Glendale was a go-to, pre COVID-19, but I haven't been since and don't know if it is still open.

Best Place Ever in LA was the Porterhouse Bistro. Surprisingly, the steaks were USDA Choice (not Prime), but they cooked them using an injection method, so they were always tender, juicy & flavorful . . . at half the cost of a Morton's. IIRC, the rent got too high and the owner had another gig with Groupon, so he closed the restaurant in 2011.

We do San Francisco every other year for our anniversary and Boboquivaris (Bobo's to the locals) is the spot. The Super Bone-in Filet is the absolute ticket!

Have you gotten Covid yet? Or is indoor dining not actually that dangerous in any one instance?

Two vaccinations, two boosters and outdoor dining.

Wife is still skittish about eating out/in crowds. We've had two family members plus a dozen people in our church die from COVID-19, so we take it seriously. We were in Palm Springs in February 2021 for our Anniversary. We had reservations at a 5-star restaurant, drove up there, saw how close folks were sitting to each other, went back to our AirBNB and ordered pizza.

I didn’t know Mastro’s in Beverly Hills had outdoor seating. Last time I went there was in 2017 on a Saturday night, and they were too busy to even acknowledge me, let alone seat me.

How good is it?

"Outdoors" at Mastro's BH is on the balcony. It was chilly at night in December.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

The Grill on The Alley has surpassed the others on the list. Bourbon Steak in Glendale was a go-to, pre COVID-19, but I haven't been since and don't know if it is still open.

Best Place Ever in LA was the Porterhouse Bistro. Surprisingly, the steaks were USDA Choice (not Prime), but they cooked them using an injection method, so they were always tender, juicy & flavorful . . . at half the cost of a Morton's. IIRC, the rent got too high and the owner had another gig with Groupon, so he closed the restaurant in 2011.

We do San Francisco every other year for our anniversary and Boboquivaris (Bobo's to the locals) is the spot. The Super Bone-in Filet is the absolute ticket!

I'm going to Bobo's for my wife's birthday this year. Can't wait.

Best steak I've had at a restaurant has been at Niku's steakhouse: link.

Also the most expensive meal I've ever had - well worth it. Was seated next to the Warriors owner (Lacob), which was interesting.

I can also cook a mean steak and while I'll take it over 99.9% of steakhouses, as others have said, the premier steakhouses have access to meat and aging abilities you just can't really do at home.

Quick edit: while I love to grill, boy do I wish I could make some of you a steak on the pan my way . . . it'll knock your fuggin socks off.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Also the most expensive meal I've ever had - well worth it. Was seated next to the Warriors owner (Lacob), which was interesting.

I can also cook a mean steak and while I'll take it over 99.9% of steakhouses, as others have said, the premier steakhouses have access to meat and aging abilities you just can't really do at home.

Quick edit: while I love to grill, boy do I wish I could make some of you a steak on the pan my way . . . it'll knock your fuggin socks off.

Did you get to talk to Lacob or say hi? How did you know it was him?

What is your pan recipe?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Have you gotten Covid yet? Or is indoor dining not actually that dangerous in any one instance?

Wife is still skittish about eating out/in crowds. We've had two family members plus a dozen people in our church die from COVID-19, so we take it seriously. We were in Palm Springs in February 2021 for our Anniversary. We had reservations at a 5-star restaurant, drove up there, saw how close folks were sitting to each other, went back to our AirBNB and ordered pizza.

I didn’t know Mastro’s in Beverly Hills had outdoor seating. Last time I went there was in 2017 on a Saturday night, and they were too busy to even acknowledge me, let alone seat me.

How good is it?

"Outdoors" at Mastro's BH is on the balcony. It was chilly at night in December.

I thought you said you went in February.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

How good is it?

I checked my OpenTable bookings - Mastro's in December (along with Ocean Prime). I was at Larsen's (Encino) in February, as well as Bodega Malbec (Toluca Lake) . November was Fleming's (Woodland Hills) & The Smoke House (Burbank).

I have a side business that let's me eat out a lot. I'm not making much $$$ at it, but I'm covering my steak bills.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

I have a side business that let's me eat out a lot. I'm not making much $$$ at it, but I'm covering my steak bills.

Hopefully a few drinks as well.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

How good is it?

I checked my OpenTable bookings - Mastro's in December (along with Ocean Prime). I was at Larsen's (Encino) in February, as well as Bodega Malbec (Toluca Lake) . November was Fleming's (Woodland Hills) & The Smoke House (Burbank).

How would you rank Mastro’s, Fleming’s, and Larsen’s?

The Larsen’s I went to was very unimpressive. Not really on the same level as Ruth Chris.

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Ohhh, nice. I'll put this on the to do list next time I visit NorCal.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:51 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

What is your pan recipe?

We said hi, but left him alone. He was with his son (the one who manages their D-Leage team).

It was definitely Lacob. Googled him on my phone and he looked like the picture . . . plus I heard them discussing the Chase Center and the upcoming year lol.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

What is your pan recipe?

We said hi, but left him alone. He was with his son (the one who manages their D-Leage team).

It was definitely Lacob. Googled him on my phone and he looked like the picture . . . plus I heard them discussing the Chase Center and the upcoming year lol.

What did they say about the upcoming season?

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

How good is it?

How would you rank Mastro’s, Fleming’s, and Larsen’s?

The Larsen’s I went to was very unimpressive. Not really on the same level as Ruth Chris.

From what I was told, Fleming's and Larsen's were partners at one time, then split.

Mastro's is #1 by a lot.
Fleming's is #2 by a lot.
Larsen's (Encino is the only one I've been to) is definitely at the bottom. When we go it's because it's in the neighborhood and convenient and we can't get a reservation anywhere else. I doubt we've been more than 6-7 times in 20 years.

Fleming's at LA Live is near my office, so it's the default business lunch spot.

Mastro's is considered the treat.

Meat On Ocean was an experience - they had the noseprint of the cow in the menu, to assure you that the Wagyu wasn't counterfeit. We've only been twice - and it's been a few years - but I believe we enjoyed it.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
I have not had the chance to order from a place like this: https://www.crowdcow.com/wagyu/japanese but I'm planning to at some point.

Man . . . that marbling!

Yeah-- the Olive Fed is supposed to be the bomb, but I've never tried it, home or restaurant. Apparently there's only 2,000 cows in existence: https://www.crowdcow.com/ranch/olive-wagyu#nav
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

Kent? He's a good guy. Been my student twice (once at SBC, once when the Warriors brought me in). I've met Joe, but I've only talked to him a couple times. Everyone I've met in that family & organization is really solid.

Wish I could remember off the top of my head all the restaurants they took me to. Rooh & Kokkari are definitely two....
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
I have not had the chance to order from a place like this: https://www.crowdcow.com/wagyu/japanese but I'm planning to at some point.

Man . . . that marbling!

Yeah-- the Olive Fed is supposed to be the bomb, but I've never tried it, home or restaurant. Apparently there's only 2,000 cows in existence: https://www.crowdcow.com/ranch/olive-wagyu#nav

I'd have to have a small taste test - something about cows on an exclusive olive diet seems odd - BUT RACHAEL RAY LOVES OLIVE WAGYU!
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:10 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

Kent? He's a good guy. Been my student twice (once at SBC, once when the Warriors brought me in). I've met Joe, but I've only talked to him a couple times. Everyone I've met in that family & organization is really solid.

Wish I could remember off the top of my head all the restaurants they took me to. Rooh & Kokkari are definitely two....

Seems like I misspoke. It wasn't Kent, but Kirk -- I remember reading that he oversaw operations for the D-League team so I guess that stayed in my head (and he did, but well before I "met" him). But after a little googling, I'm sure it was Kirk: Kirk Lacob.

Yeah, they seemed pretty nice all things considered. Polite to the staff at least, which is more than I can say about a lot of people.

Haven't been to Rooh or Kokkari, but my wife's been to the latter and she's been itching to take me ever since.

You know LC, this reminds me, but a friend of mine was one of your students @ UCI. He either helped found, or did found, the Sports Analysis Collective. I came *this* close to joining. Oh what could have been . . .
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Seems like I misspoke. It wasn't Kent, but Kirk -- I remember reading that he oversaw operations for the D-League team so I guess that stayed in my head (and he did, but well before I "met" him). But after a little googling, I'm sure it was Kirk: Kirk Lacob.

Yeah, they seemed pretty nice all things considered. Polite to the staff at least, which is more than I can say about a lot of people.

Kirk's a great guy too -- he's the Assistant GM, but I think he GM'd the G-League team on his way up as well. Kirk has been both a student of mine (when I taught the front office) and an instructor (at SBC). Kirk's the one who's more of a foodie.

Quote:
Haven't been to Rooh or Kokkari, but my wife's been to the latter and she's been itching to take me ever since.

Both were outstanding. My most memorable thing at either? The naan at Rooh.

Quote:
You know LC, this reminds me, but a friend of mine was one of your students @ UCI. He either helped found, or did found, the Sports Analysis Collective. I came *this* close to joining. Oh what could have been . . .

Probably Adam or Sam?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

Man . . . that marbling!

I think you might have found yourself a guinea pig . . . just trying to figure about which cut to pull the trigger on . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I think you might have found yourself a guinea pig . . . just trying to figure about which cut to pull the trigger on . . .

Nice! Which wine should I bring?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Nice! Which wine should I bring?

This should pair well
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject:

^TFTI, gentleman.

LC:

1. Gearing up some friends to go to either as we speak. Any recommendations besides the nann

2. A bit hesitant to post his name on a public forum as it's rather unique, so I'll PM you

Last edited by Cutheon on Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

What is your pan recipe?

Not much I can remember at the moment. This was pre-Covid i want to say.

Also - the pan recipe. It's a variation on what Gordon does in this video: LINK
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
^TFTI, gentleman.

Bring dessert?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
^TFTI, gentleman.

Bring dessert?

I make a mean banana bread, if that counts

(and cookies, particularly peanut butter cookies)

My way, way, way better half can make anything your sweet tooth desires
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
^TFTI, gentleman.

Bring dessert?

I got dessert, wine, and even a little whisky for after. And directions to your house…
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

What is your pan recipe?

Not much I can remember at the moment. This was pre-Covid i want to say.

Also - the pan recipe. It's a variation on what Gordon does in this video: LINK

I use the old Julia Child method:

1 - season steaks and bring to room temp (30-60 minutes before cooking)
2 - preheat cast iron skillet in a 500+degree oven for 10 minutes
3 - put skillet on high burner on stove
4 - once the pan is just smoking, add high heat oil to skillet
5 - sear steaks for 60 seconds per side
6 - top meat with butter, cover skillet and put steaks in 500+ degree oven until 5-10 degrees below desired temp (usually 2-3 minutes for medium rare)
7 - remove steaks from pan, tent and rest for 5-10 minutes
8 - plate and serve.

It's smoky as hell and even hotter - but the steaks come out perfectly cooked.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: